• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
Not alot out yet
A 23-year-old Western Slope man has been arrested in connection with the death of a toddler.
Daniel Lee Ryan was taken into custody Monday night as a suspect in death of 14-month-old Hailey Rocha, according to a Montrose Police Department media release.
On Saturday police were called to a business in the 2000 block of South Townsend Avenue on a report of an infant "not breathing."
When officers arrived an EMT was already performing CPR on Hailey, police said. She was taken to Montrose Memorial Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
An autopsy by the Montrose County Coroner's Office found that Hailey died of "direct result of multiple traumatic injuries" and ruled her death a "homicide."
"The cause of the death was blunt force trauma," the coroner's office said in a media release.
Ryan is being held at the Montrose County Jail on suspicion of homicide and child abuse resulting in death, police said.
[...]
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16072886?source=rss

Ryan, the boyfriend of Hailey's mother, was babysitting the girl on Saturday while the mom was working at a restaurant in town

It's like watching the same movie over and over again, hoping for a different ending.

Chinn said there is no evidence that 23-year-old Daniel Lee Ryan contacted anyone or sought help for the baby, Hailey L. Rocha, before Ryan showed up with the injured child around 8 p.m. Saturday at Taco Bell, 2050 S. Townsend Ave.

Ryan contacted Hailey Rocha’s mother, and an off-duty emergency medical technician who happened to be in the restaurant tried to revive the baby, who was unresponsive and not breathing.

The child was pronounced dead later that evening at Montrose Memorial Hospital.

Montrose County Coroner Dr. Thomas Canfield said Rocha died from blunt-force trauma, multiple blows that were “rapidly fatal.” Authorities declined Tuesday to specify how the child was injured.

Montrose District Judge John Mitchell on Tuesday increased bond from $150,000 to $500,000 during Ryan’s first court appearance. Ryan is being held at Montrose County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death. An arrest affidavit in the case has been filed under seal.

Mitchell moved to increase Ryan’s bond after hearing from Wayne Rocha, the slain infant’s uncle, who asked the judge to raise Ryan’s bond or hold him without bond.

“My sister doesn’t feel safe,” Wayne Rocha said before walking away, glaring toward Ryan, who was sitting at a table with his head bowed.
[...]

Police said Ryan is not Hailey Rocha’s father.

Wayne Rocha said his sister had been living with Ryan for the past several months.

A review of online records with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation turned up no criminal history for Ryan in Colorado.
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/man_held_in_death_of_baby_in_m/
Daniel Rocha says Hailey's alleged killer Daniel Ryan has known his sister for more than a year and that the two were dating when this happened.

"There were no signs," said Daniel Rocha. "He had us all fooled. I don't blame it on her because I spent just as much time around him -- my mother did, my brothers did."

He also says police have told the family that Ryan admitted to killing Hailey, though that has not been confirmed by authorities at this time.

"I don't have anything to say to that guy," said Daniel Rocha. "He's got a long road ahead of him."

The Rochas say they want nothing more than to see justice served for Hailey.
http://www.nbc11news.com/localnews/headlines/102928249.html

-dd-1218.jpg

Funeral planned for 14-month-old Montrose murder victim
MONTROSE, Colo. (KKCO)_A 14–month–old girl that police say was beat to death by her mother's boyfriend will be laid to rest Monday.

A memorial service for Hailey Rocha will be held at Montrose Valley Funeral Home at 11:00 am.

Hailey's family tells 11News the tiny girl had just learned to walk and always carried her favorite blankets around. They say she could bring a smile to anyone's face, "Hailey was a big importance to our whole family. She lived with my sister. She was my sister's baby. My sister loved her dearly. Our family loved her dearly. She'll be greatly missed," says Hailey's uncle Daniel Rocha.

Hailey's family has set up a memorial fund in her name. Donations came be made at the Wells Fargo Bank in Montrose.

Twenty-three-year-old Daniel Ryan has been arrested by Montrose Police on charges of second degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

The DA has yet to officially charge him and he'll be back in court Wednesday.

The coroner says Hailey died from multiple traumatic injuries.

Police say Ryan brought Hailey to the Taco Bell on South Townsend Sept. 11 where Hailey's mother works. Officials say an EMT who happened to be at the restaurant noticed Hailey wasn't breathing and started CPR.

She was taken to Montrose Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead.
[...]
http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/103248324.html

I am glad to see at least the mother isn't taking sides with this pos. I wonder if there was any sexual abuse or just a one time rage beating. I also wonder where this guy is from, just because he doesn't have a record in Colorado. I also wonder if he was there just mooching off of the mom while she worked her ass off at Taco Bell.
I hate when they delete the picture - I would really like to see what he looks like.
And most of all, Thanks so much Whisper and Dakota , I know how hard this must be for ya'll, all of these beautiful children and you always have such stirring words to say in regards to them. Ya'll are truely an asset to this site.

At least the mother actually knew the guy for longer than a week before they shacked up. It sounds like she genuinely loved her daughter and didn't intentionally try to put her in harm's way, and that this guy was just an asshole who hid it very well.

Formally charged with murder

-dd-1343.jpg
Without speaking a word, Daniel Ryan sat through a brief hearing before Judge Jeff Herron in Montrose District Court Monday afternoon.

Ryan, 23, faces several charges in the Sept. 11 death of Hailey Rocha, 14 months old, the daughter of his girlfriend. Charges include first-degree homicide and child abuse resulting in death.

As Ryan sat in gray-striped prison clothes with his wrists shackled, public defender Harvey Palefsky told the judge his client was not yet ready to enter a plea.

Herron agreed to hold another hearing on Monday, Nov. 1 at 9 a.m.
[...]
http://www.telluridewatch.com/view/...Murder?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

When are ny of these women going to learn though that you don't leave your kids with some boyfriend ? There are how many threads here right now stating that the 'child died or sustained injuries' when the boyfriend was babysittng . Makes me nuts

Plea Deal Infuriates Family

A Montrose family says they are losing faith in the justice system. The man accused of killing their 14 month old daughter may only face 20 years in prison.

Daniel Ryan is charged with killing the 14 month old by blunt force trauma to the head. But now the family of Hailey Rocha feels the Montrose District Attorney's Office is giving up too easily and letting a man get away with the murder of their daughter.

About a week ago, mother Pamela Burnes received a notice in the mail, telling her prosecutors were moving forward on a plea deal.

According to the letter, Hailey's accused killer, 24-year-old Daniel Ryan, wouldn't face first degree murder charges. Instead he'd admit to child abuse resulting in death and be sentenced to 20 years in prison.

"My daughter didn't even have a chance at life. If they just hand him over 20 years, that leaves him a life still," says Burnes.

Hailey's family is confused and angered that the death of their little girl is being taken so lightly. They say the DA's office tells them the inmates in the prison will give Ryan the justice Hailey deserves.

"I can't believe they even told me these things. It's not the prisoners job, it's the law,"
says Burnes.

The family says they were led to believe the DA's office would take Ryan to court for murder. The family feels a plea agreement is giving up on the daughter they cherish.

They'd rather have Ryan face the inside of a courtroom, no matter the outcome.

"If he were to get six years at least I tried. I didn't just give up and hand him these 20 years. I believe he'd get more time. If he didn't, he didn't," says Burnes.
[...]

Burnes says she'll be able to plead with a judge next month to not accept the plea deal. Ultimately, it's up to the judge to decide if Ryan should face a jury or take the agreement.
http://www.kjct8.com/news/26565225/detail.html

Man Accused Of Killing A Baby Pleads In Court

A man accused of killing a baby goes before a judge in Montrose and says he's guilty.

Daniel Ryan was in a packed courtroom Monday morning and pleaded guilty to an amended agreement. That agreement includes negligently causing injury to the life of a child, which is a class three felony.

Ryan is now looking at up to 20 years behind bars and five years parole.
He is set to be sentenced on June 13th.

http://www.krextv.com/news/around-the-region/Man-Accused--119616354.html

I don't think 20 years is right. He took her life, they should put him away for the rest of his. Hailey's life is only worth 20 years? Not right.

RIP little angel.

Family walks out as Ryan sentenced in baby's death
MONTROSE - The mother of a Montrose toddler battered to death last year walked out of the courtroom this afternoon, rather than hear District Judge Jeff Herron sentence the little girl's killer to 20 years.

Pamela Barnes has long maintained that's not nearly long enough for Daniel Ryan to spend behind bars for the death of her daughter, Hailey Rocha, who was 14 months old when she died of blunt force trauma Sept. 11, 2010.

Ryan, once charged with murder, pleaded guilty to negligent child abuse resulting in death.

"Hailey was stolen away from me by Daniel Ryan," Barnes said, as seven deputies stood in the courtroom between her family and Ryan's.

"I have to pay every day for what he did. ... I will always be paying for him murdering my daughter."

Hailey's uncle, Daniel Rocha, bluntly accused the court of being soft on child deaths. He then angrily lashed out at Ryan's public defender for allegedly "laughing" at him, and left the courtroom voluntarily, thereby blocking the attorney's attempt to have him held in contempt.

"I'm deeply sorry for what has happened. I ask for forgiveness," Ryan said a few moments before Herron formally sentenced him to 20 years, less 274 days of pre-sentence confinement.
http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2011/06/13/breaking_news/doc4df698e197cf0752717578.txt

This just adds insult to injury, that poor family

I can't blame them for misbehaving in the courtroom. The DA and the court went ahead with all of this without consideration of the victim or her family -- to get a fast and easy conviction. Twenty years isn't bad for a child's death. A damn sight better than some of the sentences we've seen here. But unless he serves it all -- no parole after 1/3 of the sentence is served -- it will always be inadequate.

Pamela Barnes killed her own baby and blamed that poor man....
Do you have a link to a news article so we can update.

Or at least fill us in with details.

There is this;
Ryan, once charged with murder, pleaded guilty to negligent child abuse resulting in death.
What about this:
I'm deeply sorry for what has happened. I ask for forgiveness," Ryan said a few moments before Herron formally sentenced him to 20 years, less 274 days of pre-sentence confinement.

Last edited:
At least the mother actually knew the guy for longer than a week before they shacked up. It sounds like she genuinely loved her daughter and didn't intentionally try to put her in harm's way, and that this guy was just an asshole who hid it very well.
I would like to feel sorry for this woman but she is not the victim. The news constantly reports stories of paramours abusing and killing the infants, toddlers and children of their boyfriends or girlfriends. I am sorry the relationship with the other birth parent did not work out but you do not need to bring someone into your home so that your needs are met. The child was not even two the woman needed a penis in her life that bad. I hope she feels like shit for the rest of her life and the memories of the penis were worth it. I know birth parents kill their children too but it is harder to swallow when you invited the wolf into your home because your needs were more important then the child's.

Interesting how "one love" dislikes all the negative personal opinion comments made toward the man GUILTY of this child's death, but skips over all of the multiple news articles proving said guilt - his arrest, his courtroom apology, and finally his PLEA DEAL.

Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't mean it isn't so. Innocent people simply don't plead guilty and accept 20 year prison sentences. Especially to cover for ex-lovers who have openly fingered them as child murderers, and publicly reviled them.

Latest posts

Back