• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

China

La Mera Mera
25gav6x.jpg

That’s what a Culpeper man learned in court this week.

In February, 25-year-old Daniel Jarrells took $4 from a “bait” car’s cup holder and would up with a long jail sentence in return.

[...]

Wednesday, Brown sentenced Jarrells to five years in prison, or one year for each $1.25 he stole. The long prison sentence came as a result of the third-conviction rule.

The judge, however, suspended three years of the sentence, leaving Jarrells with two years to serve for the $4 theft.

The baited car, which was made available to the Culpeper town police by the Virginia State Police, was parked behind Food Lion in the Culpeper Town Square shopping center.

Evidence presented in court showed that Jarrells entered the car and took the four marked $1 bills.

[...]

“This case is a great reminder to our citizens that although Culpeper is a very nice and safe community, it is always a good idea to be vigilant in doing the little things to keep ourselves and our property safe, such as not leaving valuables visible in the car and locking the doors,” said Culpeper Commonwealth’s Attorney Megan Frederick.

“This is great work done by local law enforcement and my team. I give much thanks to Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney David Barredo for his impeccable court presence and for fighting to protect our citizens from such larceny.”

[...]
http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/08/14/theft-of-4-from-car-results-in-2-year-term/

Well, thats an awfully skewed sentence for the theft of four measly bucks. But then again, he seems like a total piece of shit.

Yes, if it had been more, he would not have taken it because it would have given him more time in jail. $4, $40, $400....it would all be gone. On a side note, I took my truck for a $100 detail job. I had about five bucks in change in the door for the drive up windows. My wife uses it for her tea in the mornings. So I keep it there. Guess what? They did a thorough job of cleaning the truck. I complained to the manager and she pointed to the sign "Not responsible for items left in your vehicle." Ok, so you know and support thieves working for you. Good. I have had that company clean my vehicles for several years and have given them over $1000 in business. I gave the thief a tip before I noticed the money missing. Last time I am going there and social media got an earful too.

The law is so mysterious. We had a story close to where I used to live. An 18 year old while racing, killed a toddler. He got 2 years less a day. So these crimes are equivalent if you base it on jail time. stolen 4$ = deadbaby.

A girl I went to school with had a baby, left the baby outside in the winter to freeze to death. Walked past the baby on the way to school for three days until the baby was found. Went to school after the baby was found and told everyone in school that another girl did it and had the whole school calling this innocent girl "baby killer". She kept it a secret for 4 years and told her bf what she did and he called the police.

She was sentenced to one year out in 7 months.

A girl I went to school with had a baby, left the baby outside in the winter to freeze to death. Walked past the baby on the way to school for three days until the baby was found. Went to school after the baby was found and told everyone in school that another girl did it and had the whole school calling this innocent girl "baby killer". She kept it a secret for 4 years and told her bf what she did and he called the police.

She was sentenced to one year out in 7 months.

That's pretty sad...sick.

whole school calling this innocent girl "baby killer"
This is just as bad as falsely accusing someone of rape.
Well, she did mentally fuck over an innocent girl while being a baby killer.
Seven months behind bars feels like a reward to murder babies.

The fact that he now gets to be supported by hard-working taxpayers for any length of time sucks, but if you don't want prison time then don't commit crimes. I have no sympathy for him because he is facing years in prison, he's had chances and blew them.

I would just like to point out that he is sporting a Under Armor Camo hooded sweatshirt, which retails in my neck of the woods for about $90 plus tax but yet got caught stealing $4 from a bait car...

I don't understand this. A bait car? Huh? Isn't that entrapment?

Entrapment is usually when the cops pressure you to do a crime that you would not normally do. In this case there was no pressure, just an opportunity and clearly he did it of his own volition. I've been a little confused on the boundaries of that before as well but that's what I understand of it.

I would just like to point out that he is sporting a Under Armor Camo hooded sweatshirt, which retails in my neck of the woods for about $90 plus tax but yet got caught stealing $4 from a bait car...

Probably stole that shit too haha.

^ Basically. I got 2 theft charges under my belt right now, and if I get another one it's automatically a felony and I face my max sentence. (That's how our 3 strikes works in PA, right @Krystal?) That's definitely enough to scare me straight.

In PA from a super-quickie search the 3 strikes law is vague, if you are convicted of 3 (or more) SERIOUS criminal offenses you face a sentencing enhancement that is up to life in prison. I say vague because they used the wording "serious criminal offenses", I mean, we can all agree that murder and rape are serious but now if you steal my car to me that's serious but does it fall under "serious" for the enhancement?

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. But I just remember my judge saying something along the lines to me that if I get another theft charge, it'll turn into a felony (even if it's a $1 item)... Maybe that's another form that we have here. Cause my priors are misdemeanors.

Could be. I'd take it as a challenge, you know when you get a hankering to commit another crime, just remember go big or go home, since it will be a felony anyway.:devil::sarcasm:

Three strikes rules are stupid. Mandatory minimums are stupid. We've got states (like CA) letting forcible rapists and attempted murderers out early so we can make room for petty assholes like this.

It's fucking ridiculous.

This is great work done by local law enforcement and my team

Yeah...I wouldn't go that far. What great work did you do? Park a car and leave it unlocked with a few bucks visible through the windows? I'm glad you got the guy, but let's not get carried away with how amazing your police work is!

I don't even know if three strikes law exist in my home state, NY, or if my charges just aren't serious enough to enforce it on me.

I don't believe NY has a Three-Strikes law as it is traditionally understood (one was struck down by a federal appeals court in '10, and has not been reestablished to my knowledge). Even if it did, however, it would not generally apply to misdemeanors. It may have habitual offender statutes which could allow (or force) a judge to hand you a stiffer penalty than might normally befall that particular charge had there been no habitual offending. The class D felony might be of some concern under these circumstances. Some states have "wobbler" offenses; offenses that would normally not be considered a strike, but can be if the defendant's history is severe enough.

Just keep your damn nose clean, okay? Jesus. :p

Give the guy community service, its fitting for the crime and at least he will be useful for a little while. I have done worse things in the past few days than steal a lousy 4 bucks, just look at my computer search history.:)

So you can bone a minor and only get 3 1/2yrs but you steal $4 and get 2yrs?!? Wtf is up with our justice system?!?

I've had sunglasses and two cd players(on 2 separate occasions) stolen from my car. I have no sympathy for some scumbag getting a seemingly harsh prison sentence for petty theft. Petty theft can ruin my day. I don't like people who ruin my day. Good riddance. Maybe trash like this will think twice before stealing from others.

Yes I know it sounds bad. I hope it eventually gets reduced to something that sounds a little less rapey. I'm tempted to post a pic of the "victims" statement to police which I was given a copy of (of course I'd blur out the names, addresses, etc).

A person is guilty of unlawfully dealing with a child when he sells or causes to be given or sold any alcoholic beverage, to a person less than 21 years old.

She was 20, and only months away from her 21st birthday.
Thank you for clearing that up. I will admit that when I saw the charge my first thought was screwing children. You got a 20 year old drunk, not exactly a big deal, but hey, I don't write the laws.

Latest posts

Back