• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Yes, thank you Queen for bringing that update. May those responsible suffer just as bad, if not worse, than this poor defenseless young girl did.

Social workers guilty of fraud in starvation case

PHILADELPHIA - March 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- A jury has returned guilty verdicts against four social workers accused of a cover-up related to the death of Philadelphia teen Danieal Kelly, who weighed just 42 pounds when she died.

Jurors began deliberations Tuesday in the trial of two co-founders and two employees of now-defunct MultiEthnic Behavioral Health Inc.

On Wednesday, the two company co-founders, Mickal Kamuvaka and Solomon Manamela, were found guilty of all charges, including wire and health care fraud. Two employees, Julius Juma Murray and Mariam Coulibaly, were convicted on 17 of 20 counts.

The four defendants were on trial for allegedly defrauding the city of millions of dollars by failing to make visits to needy families.

The charges are related to Kelly's 2006 death. Her emaciated body was covered with maggot-infested sores when she died. Kelly had cerebral palsy and couldn't fend for herself.

Prosecutors say the four defendants took the government's money, but rarely, if ever, checked in on the children in their care.

"Danieal Kelly paid the ultimate price for these defendants' fraud," said prosecutor Bea Witzleben. "We hope that this is some measure of justice for her and the other children who were the victims, really, of this fraud." Attorneys for the co-founders said they are victims of dishonest employees.

The lawyer for an employee assigned to Kelly said he missed signs of her worsening condition. An attorney for the fourth defendant said his client confused dates.

The four defendants will be sentenced in June, but that won't be the end of this. They face state charges of criminal manslaughter in a trial set to begin in November.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7308842

A cofounder of the now-defunct social service agency Multiethnic Behavioral Health Inc., which oversaw Philadelphia teenager Danieal Kelly in the months before her death, was sentenced to 90 months in prison.

Earle McNeill, 72, of Philadelphia, had pleaded guilty to fraud charges stemming from the investigation into the agency after the 14-year-old girl died from malnutrition and severe bed sores in 2006.

His sentence was increased about 12 months above prosecutors' recommendations after U.S. District Judge Stewart Dalzell determined that McNeill had not truthfully reported his Multiethnic income to a federal probation officer.

McNeill said he had earned $20,000 a year, when records showed he had been paid between $36,000 and $58,000, Assistant U.S. Attorney Bea Witzleben said.

The death of Kelly, who had cerebral palsy, prompted the firing of top Department of Human Services officials and multiple investigations of the city agency. Dalzell has also been sharply critical of the agency.

In court documents, prosecutors said McNeill had "joined in the rampant fraud at the agency," adding that Multiethnic had "billed the city for services not rendered, and kept the contract by fabricating false records to make it appear that all services had been delivered."

Four other agency employees have been sentenced to prison. Another four defendants - Mickal Kamuvaka and Solomon Manamela, who also cofounded the agency, and caseworkers Mariam Coulibaly and Julius Murray - were convicted in March and await sentencing.

McNeill and the eight others were charged with failing to provide social services, required by a contract with the city, to at-risk families and children. The DHS paid Multiethnic about $3.5 million with federal funding from 2000 through 2007.
[...]
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/loca...ultiethnic_founder_in_Danieal_Kelly_case.html

Woman gets 17 years in Danieal Kelly case
PHILADELPHIA - June 10, 2010 (WPVI) -- A former social worker has been sentenced to 17 and 1/2 years in prison for her role in a fraud scheme that led to the death of a special needs teenager.

The sentence for Mickal Kamuvaka was handed down on Thursday. She worked for a health agency that was caring for 14-year-old Danieal Kelly, when she died of starvation in 2006.

Kelly had cerebral palsy and couldn't fend for herself. Her 42-pound emaciated body was covered with maggot-infested sores when she died.

Prosecutors say Kamuvaka and Manamela billed the city for millions of dollars in services, but rarely checked in on the children in their care, including Danieal.

Manamela will be sentenced later in the day.

Back in March, a jury returned guilty verdicts against Kamuvaka, Manamela and two employees also accused in the cover-up related to the death of Danieal Kelly. Kamuvakaa and Manamela, the co-founders of MultiEthnic Behavioral Health Inc., were also found guilty of wire and health care fraud.

Though sentencing is scheduled for today, Kamuvaka and Manamela still face state charges of criminal manslaughter in a trial set to begin in November.

Five other company employees have already pleaded guilty in the scheme.

[...]
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7489300&rss=rss-wpvi-article-7489300
sg5wky.jpg
Mickal Kamuvaka, a co-founder of MultiEthnic Behavioral Health Inc. Kamuvaka was found guilty in March in the cover-up related to the death of Danieal Kelly.​

I hope they all get the stiffest, harshest sentences the courts can dish out. What this poor baby went through was beyond horrible and for them to turn a blind eye to it while stuffing their own personal wallets is disgusting beyond words. To hell with all of them!

In the final weeks of her life, Danieal’s brother – himself only a child – kept telling his mother that something was wrong, but she dismissed him. Shortly before his sister died he begged his mother to call an ambulance

this breaks my heart....the poor siblings what they had to live through because she egg donor couldnt be a mother.

There's nothing worse than someone killing to death an innocent helpless child for their own monetary gain, let alone the mom being nothing more than a breeding lab rat. Hmph.

A man charged with contributing to the starvation death of his disabled daughter is being sought by Philadelphia authorities after missing a court hearing.

A defense lawyer says 39-year-old Daniel Kelly knew about Monday's status hearing.

Kelly is charged with child endangerment for leaving daughter Danieal (dan-YELL) with her unfit mother. The 14-year-old weighed 42 pounds when she died in 2006.
[...]

Defense lawyer Earl Kauffman fears Daniel Kelly is worried about those sentences. But Kauffman says the father's case is different because he wasn't living with Danieal and didn't abuse her.

Kelly's trial is set for June.
http://www.centredaily.com/2010/12/13/2399137/warrant-issued-for-dad-of-starved.html

Oh for God's Sake!

Get this fucknut off the street and in a jail cell where he belongs!

It's been four YEARS since the kid died and I want justice!

It's been four YEARS since the kid died and I want justice!

We're getting there. I've been following this one for quite a while, and while the process isn't incredibly fast, there have been many people already found guilty of crimes related to Danieal's death and sentenced.

Starved Girl's Dad Arrested In Indiana

PHILADELPHIA - Fox 29 News has learned that the father accused of contributing to the starvation death of his 14-year-old daughter has been arrested in Indiana.

Daniel J. Kelly, 39, is accused of child endangerment for allegedly leaving his daughter, Danieal Kelly, with her unfit mother. The 14-year-old weighed 42 pounds when she died in 2006.

The father's bail, set at 10 percent of $50,000, was reinstated after he missed a court date in December.

Kelly is being held at thA source tells Fox 29 that Kelly had been living with relatives until they found out about his paste Gibson County jail in Princeton, Ind. The district attorney there says Kelly is now trying to fight extradition back to Philadelphia and has 90 days to decide how to proceed.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/starved-girl's-dad-arrested-in-indiana

Unbelievable! Damn near everybody failed this girl. There were a few voices who were consistently trying to get something done to help her, but the people closest to her refused all help. The friends supported the monsters. The final social services workers were less than useful. The medical examiner and the police even failed to do right by her after her death, failing to send actual investigators. It seems like no one gave a rat's ass about this poor child. I'm amazed, after reading the Grand Jury findings it even reached them. It was like a huge conspiracy to kill this child and let her parents go on with their useless f***ed up lives.

PHILADELPHIA - June 10, 2010 -- Political patronage contributed to the starvation death of a disabled Philadelphia girl under the city's watch, a federal judge said Thursday in sentencing a social-services contractor to 17 1/2 years in prison.

The city paid Michal Kamuvaka's politically connected firm $1 million a year to ensure that its neediest families got specialized attention.

Company workers assigned to the chaotic home where 14-year-old Danieal Kelly was wasting away in a wheelchair were supposed to ensure she and her siblings had proper housing, schooling and medical care.

But after 10 months of supposed twice-weekly visits, Danieal, who had cerebral palsy, was still not enrolled in school and had not been seen by a doctor. By the time she died in the sweltering home in August 2006, she weighed 42 pounds and had maggot-infested bedsores.
Later Thursday, Dalzell sentenced another company co-founder, Solomon Manamela, to 14 years for his role in the fraud. Manamela, a 52-year-old political refugee from South Africa, faces deportation when he gets out.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Bea Witzleben said the case is not one where children fell through the cracks. The Kellys, and other families ill-served by MultiEthnic, were identified by the city and assigned help.
"She (Kamuvaka) asked for this responsibility. She was given it and paid for it," Witzleben said. "There was hope for that child to have a decent life."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7489300

[video]http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video?id=7490712[/video]

It's taking a while Baby Girl, but they're getting them for you.

Jurors will hear opening arguments from the prosecution and three defense attorneys. Acting First Assistant District Attorney Edward McCann, who is prosecuting the case with Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Selber, said he expected to call at least one witness before the trial breaks for the day.

On trial are Daniel Kelly, 40, Danieal's father, charged with child endangerment for allegedly dropping off Danieal with his ex-wife, Andrea, 41, when he and the daughter returned to Philadelphia from Arizona, although he knew his wife was not caring for the girl.

Also on trial are Dana Poindexter, 54, a former social worker for the city Department of Human Services who the grand jury alleged tossed Danieal's case file into a trash-filled file box. Poindexter is charged with child endangerment, recklessly endangering another person and perjury.

Finally, there is Mickal Kamuvaka, 62, cofounder and chief administrator of the Multiethnic Behavioral Health Inc., a now-defunct private company hired by DHS to monitor the health and safety of Danieal and eight of her siblings who lived with Andrea Kelly.

Kamuvaka is charged with child endangerment, conspiracy and a half-dozen other counts involving record-tampering and perjury - part of an alleged cover-up of the circumstances surrounding Danieal's gruesome death.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/124798919.html

This is just unfathomable to me. If my child voluntarily skips breakfast, I can guarantee the school will be calling within 2 hours, demanding an explanation. How on earth it's possible that neglect of this child got to THAT level..... I don't understand. There is no punishment severe enough for those responsible. You know what, those workers getting 20 years or so in prison.... They are going to be FED three times a day. They will be not forced to lay in one painful position for days on end without repositioning. They will never have any idea the intense, excruciating pain this poor child experienced. God help us. What's wrong with this world.....

Thanks for making me more disgusted.

You even managed to make me gag so I'm gonna give you rep [MENTION=335]Lizard[/MENTION].

A gentle rebuke--Caylee isn't the only lost child who deserves your tears. More today on the trial for Danieal's father, caseworker Dana Poindexter, and Mickal Kamuvaka of the now-defunct organization charged with providing services for DHS kids.

The night before Danieal died, [brother Daniel] Kelly said, he tried to give her water and begged his mother to call an ambulance.

Kelly said Andrea Kelly refused: "She's just sick, she'll get over it tomorrow."

The elder Kelly watched his son without apparent emotion. Only when Daniel Kelly Jr. testified that his father had disciplined him by "whippings" with an electric cord, and that he once had kicked Danieal because she ground her teeth at night, did the elder Kelly furrow his brow and shake his head from side to side.

More at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/125018964.html

Thank you, Lizard. This poor child, who was making such good progress under the care of a real adult, was let down and used as a floor mat by her biological parents. I have no words.

Thank you, Lizard. This poor child, who was making such good progress under the care of a real adult, was let down and used as a floor mat by her biological parents. I have no words.

It's more than that. With so little care, Danieal could speak, feed herself, stand, sing. SING! It took so little to make her blossom, and yet she died the way she did. I am furious about that.

Thanks for bumping this, Lizard. This one was just horrible. How can somebody look at that child and not care? I just ... I will never understand.

Thanks for bumping this, Lizard. This one was just horrible. How can somebody look at that child and not care? I just ... I will never understand.

Oh, I'll continue updating as the trial continues. I'm gearing up for a follow-up on the FP story.

Now we start shining the light on caseworker Dana Poindexter (who is a he, for those of you not familiar with this case).
The former Philadelphia social worker assigned to investigate reports of neglect in the case of Danieal Kelly was suspended for 10 days in 2003 after the death of a 3-week-old infant, a retired city social worker testified Thursday.

The May 2003 suspension was part of Dana Poindexter's work history of failing to follow through and recommend at-home services for poor, troubled families.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/125187534.html

The former Philadelphia social worker assigned to investigate reports of neglect in the case of Danieal Kelly was suspended for 10 days in 2003 after the death of a 3-week-old infant, a retired city social worker testified Thursday.

The May 2003 suspension was part of Dana Poindexter's work history of failing to follow through and recommend at-home services for poor, troubled families.

So then this asswipe is responsible for more than one child's death. These children were completely dependent on others for their care and he failed them both. This fucker needs to burn.

Today, Poindexter's defense attorney tried to make him out to be a SUPER DE DUPER employee who was suspended by a supervisor with whom he personally conflicted.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/125222679.html

From Lizard's link:
Hosay stressed what he described as personal animosity between Grubb and Poindexter. Afterward, Hosay has noted, Poindexter's performance improved under Walker, Grubb's successor.

Ya think that animosity was due to poor performance on Poindexter's part? I'll bet it was! Improvement under the next supervisor was more than likely due to the fact that they were both lazy jackasses.

Back