• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Unamused Cat

Veteran Member
PHILADELPHIA — Four social workers were among nine people charged Thursday in the death of a disabled 14-year-old girl who authorities say wasted away from neglect before dying at 42 pounds.

Danieal Kelly's mother was charged with murder; counts against other defendants range from involuntary manslaughter to perjury. District Attorney Lynne Abraham said any of the nine could have foreseen the horrific fate of Danieal, whose emaciated body was found in her mother's squalid house covered with bone-deep, maggot-infested bedsores in August 2006.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395643,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Nine people charged in 14-yr old Danieal Kelly's death.

2gu0400.jpg

Danieal Kelly in happier times...

Grand jury indictment - read if dare, get your tissues. This document is 263 pages with pictures.
http://media.philly.com/documents/Grand_Jury_DHS_new.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395643,00.html

Nine Charged in Starvation Death of Disabled, 42-Pound Teen
Thursday , July 31, 2008

Four social workers were among nine people charged Thursday in the death of a disabled 14-year-old girl who authorities say wasted away from neglect before dying at 42 pounds.

Danieal Kelly's mother was charged with murder; counts against other defendants range from involuntary manslaughter to perjury. District Attorney Lynne Abraham said any of the nine could have foreseen the horrific fate of Danieal, whose emaciated body was found in her mother's squalid house covered with bone-deep, maggot-infested bedsores in August 2006.

Abraham had scathing words for the city's Department of Human Services, calling its handling of the case "callous, indifferent, unconscionable" — and all too familiar.

"Danieal did not fall through the cracks," she said. "It was a failure of institutional inclination. Saving Danieal was just too much trouble."

Two of the social workers are city employees; two others worked for a company hired by DHS. Department Commissioner Anne Marie Ambrose scheduled an afternoon news conference to discuss the case.

Warrants were issued for all nine defendants Thursday. Andrea Kelly, the mother of Danieal was charged with murder, and father Daniel Kelly, who did not live with the family, was charged with child endangerment.

Two employees of MultiEthnic Behavioral Health, a now-defunct company that DHS hired to provide social services to Danieal, falsified documents to cover up the fact they rarely, if ever, checked on her, the grand jury said.

Julius Murray and Mickal Kamuvaka were charged with involuntary manslaughter and tampering with public records.

Murray's "fraudulent nonperformance of a job" — he seldom went to the Kelly house, which he was supposed to visit twice a week — allowed Andrea Kelly to starve her daughter over a period of months, the grand jury said.

After Danieal's death, Kamuvaka directed Murray to fabricate and backdate reports on the family, grand jurors said.

DHS social worker Dana Poindexter was charged with child endangerment for what the grand jury said were his "less than meager" efforts to look into several reports over three years that Danieal, who had cerebral palsy, was not receiving medical care, social services or schooling.

"He did not complete a single investigation or risk assessment," the report said. "Indeed, his file on the family was buried at the bottom of a filing-cabinet-sized box, beneath food wrappers and unopened envelopes relating to other children's cases."

Another DHS employee, Laura Sommerer, faces a child endangerment charge. As Danieal's social worker for 10 months, she didn't notice Danieal's deterioration, even after a visit June 29, 2006 — about five weeks before the teen died.

"The children appeared safe and comfortable in the home," Sommerer wrote in a report, according to grand jurors.

Also charged were Andrea Miles, Marie Moses and Diamond Brantley, all of Philadelphia, who were friends with Andrea Kelly. The report accuses them of perjury for telling grand jurors that Danieal had been fine on Aug. 3, 2006, the day before her festering corpse was taken from the house.

Oh, I'm so happy they're charging the whole LOT of them!! Sure, the mom did this, but all of those connected are culpable. I hope they all do HARD TIME>

I am seriously choked up after looking at the one autopsy photo...her hair clips still in her hair...that's the only thing I can describe. The rest is just too awful.

Carmen Paris, the acting health commissioner at the time of Danieal's death, submitted her resignation today after being suspended with intent to dismiss yesterday.

That read is so sad. What that little girl went through is horrifying. The grandmother should have done something herself, she knew something was wrong and only spoke to the mom? Is that my understanding? Why didn't she seek attention for the child? Why didn't she call someone?

1269pbp.jpg

Andrea Kelly, mother

29aph0h.jpg

Daniel Kelly, father

2dh664w.jpg

Dana Poindexter, DHS employee

2q08ttw.jpg

Laura Sommerer, DHS employee

346l261.jpg

Mickal Kamuvaka, DHS contractor (company now defunct)

2e2qq83.jpg

Julius Murray, DHS contractor (company now defunct)

qph1qh.jpg

Andrea Miles, friend of the mother

As if you couldn't guess, I read the grand jury report and am just appalled. I've been reading some of the news coverage from right after Danieal died. From a 2006 Philadelphia Inquirer article:

In a separate interview, Danieal's father, Daniel Kelly, said both the child's mother and the social-service agencies shared the blame for his daughter's death.

"It's a lot of finger-pointing between her and them," said Daniel Kelly.

Daniel Kelly, who has two children with Andrea Kelly, has lived apart from her for years.

He was critical of Andrea Kelly, saying she raised the children in "substandard" conditions and had neglected her daughter.

At the same time, he faulted social workers, saying they should have recognized the danger to his daughter.

"This happened over a long period of time," he said. "Obviously, somebody didn't care. "

And a statement by an attorney for the contractor:

"When the full story comes out concerning this family, it will be demonstrated that Multiethnic and its employees were not responsible for the death of Danieal Kelly. "

Big wake-up call for some folks, sounds like. Way to go, grand jury.

That was one hell of a read. I can't even begin to express my anger and rage at how the system failed her.

i hope the fuck ALL 9 of them suffer the same fate they caused this precious little girl to suffer..
FUCKING welfare breeder bitches.. If you CAN'T feed them on your OWN MONEY, STOP fucking BREEDING them. Welfare is for folks who *can't* work.. not for lazy crotchrotted bitches that keep poppin' out kids to keep collecting the fucking welfare check.
Here's a thought.. maybe we ought to put you into a dark fucking closet somewhere with no air or light and forget to feed you for a few yrs. STUPID CUNT.
So.. now since all 9 are indicted, chances are they're ALL going to do time.. Guess who foots the fucking bill while they're incarcerated..

GODS this makes me ill.

~ceisdsgil

Standard Thought Disclaimer:
IF you do not like what I say.. TOUGH! Put on your big girl panties and learn to deal with it.

Stories like this are what give me the inspiration to work harder in school...
The fucking assholes that were too LAZY to do their JOBS .. I think a fitting and suitable punishment would be to strap them to beds and leave them there until they suffer the same horrible end as that precious little girl.. And that might even be just too good for them.

I think that autopsy photo is the MOST disturbing thing I have ever seen.
Ever. This angers me so much, I don't even know what to say.

The parents are actually suing the city of Philly.....
PHILADELPHIA - The parents charged in the starvation death of their bedridden daughter have sued the city, alleging that dangerous and reckless actions by several municipal employees and contract workers contributed to the girl's death.

The wrongful death suit, filed earlier this month, seeks reimbursement for medical bills, funeral costs and other expenses.

Lawyers said they filed the suit to protect the interests of the victim's siblings.

"The parents are not seeking any money from this," attorney Brian Mildenberg said. "The potential beneficiaries are the brothers and sisters and the parents, but the parents may be disqualified by a conviction or a civil finding of abandonment."

Prosecutors were angered.

"I think it's an obscenity. I cannot imagine that people in that situation who did what they did to their own daughter are attempting to profit from it," Assistant District Attorney Ed McCann, head of the city's homicide unit, told the Philadelphia Daily News.

Defendants include the city Department of Human Services, the state Department of Public Welfare, a behavioral health contractor and two now-fired city caseworkers who have been criminally charged in the case.

It was not immediately clear if the lawsuit was on behalf of all nine of Danieal's siblings. A separate suit filed on behalf of her oldest sibling, 19-year-old Troy Washington, names similar defendants and claims he suffered "substantial mental pain" from his sister's death.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_re_us/starvation_death_charges_1

Un. Fucking. Believable.

PHILADELPHIA - The parents charged in the starvation death of their bedridden daughter have sued the city, alleging that dangerous and reckless actions by several municipal employees and contract workers contributed to the girl's death.

The wrongful death suit, filed earlier this month, seeks reimbursement for medical bills, funeral costs and other expenses.
WTF!!

"Boo-hoo-hoo, you didn't prevent us from killing our daughter"...

Useless M*F*ers, you kill your child and have the audacity to file a law suit.
If that 19 could have mental trauma then the son of a bitch should have done something for the sister.

The mother of a disabled Philadelphia girl is set to plead to third-degree murder in the child's starvation death.

A defense lawyer says the plea agreement calls for Andrea Kelly to serve 20 to 40 years in the 2006 death of her 14-year-old daughter Danieal (dan-YEHL').

Danieal was under the care of city social workers when her 42-pound, maggot-infested body was discovered in a stifling apartment.

Several social workers are charged in the case, one with involuntary manslaughter.

Defense lawyer Richard Hark says his client is taking responsibility for her failings - and hopes the former city workers will too.

Danieal Kelly suffered from cerebral palsy and could not walk. Her death contributed to the dismissal of two city welfare officials.
http://www.centredaily.com/news/breaking_news/story/1256682.html

Philly Danieal Kelly's Social Workers on Trial After Girl's Death

I thought there was already a thread on this but couldnt find it,if there is maybe a mod can update it with this?TY
Four Philadelphia social workers charged with fraud in a case linked to the starvation death of a disabled teenager defended their work as their trial opened Wednesday, saying they were not paid for any medical expertise.

In an unusual criminal case, federal prosecutors are trying to prove the social workers defrauded the city of millions of dollars aimed at helping the neediest families on city welfare rolls.

Danieal Kelly's family fit that description. Her unfit mother was raising six or seven children alone in a squalid two-bedroom rowhome.

Danieal, who had cerebral palsy and could not walk, had once thrived in the care of her father and stepfather in another state. But before she died in the stifling apartment in August 2006, the 14-year-old was spending most of her time in bed, without much schooling, medical care or even sufficient food and water. She weighed just 42 pounds, and had severe, maggot-infested bedsores.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=9734159
2ue4qiv.jpg
Four Philadelphia social workers charged with fraud in a case linked to the starvation death of a disabled teenager, Danieal Kelly, shown in this file photo, defended their work as their trial opened Wednesday, saying they were not paid for any medical expertise

On the day Manuelita Buenaflor learned that 14-year-old Danieal Kelly of West Philadelphia had died, the social-service administrator with two doctoral degrees said she was sad but unsurprised.

Buenaflor was the "quality-assurance" director for the agency responsible for ensuring the well-being of Kelly and hundreds of other children. But Buenaflor said she knew that the MultiEthnic Behavior Health Inc. workers regularly failed to make the home visits required by their contract with Philadelphia.
[...]

A witness yesterday also testified that a city social worker was first dispatched to the Kelly home in September 2005, after the Department of Human Services had received an anonymous call to the agency's hotline describing children running around without clothes and out on the street late at night without supervision.

The city intake worker who responded, Trina N. Jenkins, testified that Andrea Kelly, the girl's mother, appeared "overwhelmed" by caring for eight of her nine children. A ninth child was in state custody.

The family was living on one floor of a rowhouse, none of the children was enrolled in school, and all apparently were sleeping in the same room, Jenkins said. But the children were clean and clothed, she said.

Jenkins said Danieal Kelly, who had cerebral palsy, was described by her mother as "nonverbal." Jenkins helped enroll the older children in school, and said that Andrea Kelly was cooperative and worried about DHS intervention, repeatedly telling the city worker, "I'd do anything to keep my family."

After 10 days, long-term supervision of the Kelly family was turned over to MultiEthnic.
[...]

(Buenaflor, originally from the Philippines) helped found MultiEthnic in 2000 with two of the defendants, Mickal Kamuvaka and Solomon Manamela. Also on trial are caseworkers Mariam Coulibaly and Julius Juma Murray, who was assigned to Kelly's family.

Buenaflor has admitted to health-care fraud. She testified after reaching a plea agreement with federal prosecutors.

As quality-assurance director, she said, she reviewed caseworker files and found that months would go by without employees filing any "progress reports" documenting the home visits - often required once or twice a week - that were mandated by the city contract.

On cross-examination, she conceded that some missing reports may have been written up by caseworkers but never formally submitted, and that others may have been held by a supervisor.

Kamuvaka's attorney, William Cannon, said that it was "better late than never," but Buenaflor disagreed.

She said workers were "writing notes for visits not existing, and that's sickening."
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/loca..._Kelly_s_death_no_surprise__jury_is_told.html

PHILADELPHIA - March 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- A jury has returned a guilty verdict against four social workers accused of a cover-up related to the death of Philadelphia teen Danieal Kelly, who weighed just 42 pounds when she died.

They were found guilty Wednesday of mail fraud, health care fraud and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Jurors began deliberations Tuesday in the trial of two co-founders and two employees of now-defunct MultiEthnic Behavioral Health Inc.

The four defendants were on trial for allegedly defrauding the city of millions of dollars by failing to make visits to needy families.

The charges are related to Kelly's 2006 death. Her emaciated body was covered with maggot-infested sores when she died.

Attorneys for the co-founders said they are victims of dishonest employees.

The lawyer for an employee assigned to Kelly said he missed signs of her worsening condition. An attorney for the fourth defendant said his client confused dates.

Other company employees have already pleaded guilty in the scheme.

Kelly's mother is serving a 20- to 40-year term after pleading guilty to third-degree murder.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7308842

TY Queen I have been wondering where this was going.I still think Shanghi or whatever the fuck its called had the right idea with caning!!

Back