• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/dad-rushes-sons-defense-hes-213200049.html

The father of the knife-wielding 14-year-old shot by a cop at a Nevada high school has come to his son's defense, saying he was reacting to relentless torment from bullies.

"He was being bullied," Justin Clark wrote on Facebook Wednesday. "He brought the knives because he was gonna b (sic) jumped and he was. The school knew of this and failed to act."

The teen was filmed with two long kitchen knives in startling video footage posted to social media after a fight reportedly erupted between two boys at Reno's Hug High School.

Student Eduardo Ayala said he was threatened with suspension for posting his video on social media.

"The kid with both knives was looking everywhere you hear the cop say something and the kid doesn’t comply and then he shoots him," Ayala told Inside Edition.

From one angle, the cop can be seen kicking the knife away from the wounded teen. The cop then gives him medical attention.

But the teen's dad wants to know why the cop used his gun in the first place.

"Tell if u can y the officer pulled his side arm and not his [Taser]," the distraught father wrote.

Clark wants the police officer involved to be held accountable for what he believes was an improper use of force.

According to the Reno Gazette-Journal, the family is being represented by Reno attorney David Houston. An off-hours message left for Houston early Thursday was not immediately returned.

The answer is the cop would have to get a hell of a lot closer to him to use the taser instead of the gun.

I get that he's not in his right mind right now, but for fuck's sake stop it. I am so tired of people trying to defend this shit. He should've just said he wished deadly force hadn't been necessary and that he's sorry his son put everyone in that position. If you're brandishing real weapons, expect to get shot. End of story no matter your age.

"Tell if u can y the officer pulled his side arm and not his [Taser]," the distraught father wrote.
Two words: Tueller drill.

Dennis Tueller is or at least was a training sergeant with the Salt Lake City police department. He determined that an aggressor with a knife within 20 feet can cover that distance and stab the defender before the defender can react. At 20 feet it's a tossup as to who would survive. Beyond that the defender survives. And that's the way police train.

The moral is clear: when one has an armed police officer who is aiming his weapon and screaming, "PUT THE FUCKING KNIFE DOWN NOW!", one puts the fucking knife down. And the sooner the better.

--Al

Fucking cops ... Live that one down buddy. Like you're a cop, you wear some kind of suit of protection ... Disarm the kid for fuck sakes. What a bitch ... The cop I mean. Not the kid ... He had some bragging rights now ... He got shot man. And he'll bring a knife to school and cut you if you fuck with him ... Nice job kid ... Like if you have to take care of shit yourself.

I'm glad the kids parents lawyered up ... Shit got so bad at school because officials failed to respond that this kid was compelled to bring a knife to school to assure his own personal safety and the adults look like fucks now ... NICE.
I truly hope that every teacher or administrator that could have intervened on this kids behalf and didn't loses sleep over this. WORD ... I hope they lay awake frustrated every night...this poor kid probably lost sleep over it ... Now its their turn.

Like you're a cop, you wear some kind of suit of protection ... Disarm the kid for fuck sakes.
The bullet-proof vest provides some degree of protection against bullets. The bullet hits the fabric, expands, and surrenders its energy in deforming and flattening out. And the wearer is not guaranteed to escape scot-free; blunt-force injuries are very common. Bruises, broken ribs, and contused organs are among some of the injuries I am aware of.

Knives don't flatten. They sever fabric, leading to a circumstance where a bullet-proof vest provides negligible protection against an edged weapon. A knife, thrust through a bullet-proof vest, is fully as capable of inflicting a fatal wound as a knife not so hindered.

In real life, disarming a suspect who does not wish to surrender is nowhere as easy as it appears on TV or at the movies. TV and movies employ script writers who ensure the story ends according to the director's vision. I don't know about you, but script writers are scarce in my life. (If I did have one I would have fired the bastard a long time ago, because he sure did fuck up a lot of shit.)

--Al

@Alf .... Thanks for the run down on the uniform of an officer....putting right out there that tax payers are getting ripped off because I bet those Police Uniforms are priced like they can stop anything. And I suppose all of that self defence training is probably a waste of money too ... I'm back too cops are payed to take risks and this kid could have been disarmed with one swift kick to the face. I've never had a kick to the head that didn't immobilize me for a few seconds. Suddenly I wasn't holding that base ball bat anymore. And I honestly can't see why that didn't happen here except this cop is not very good at creative problem solving or using the self defence manuvors that he would have been trained in and a bit of a BItCH>

And I honestly can't see why that didn't happen here
I can.

The aorta rises from the top of the heart, curves over to the right, and descends through the trunk to the lower abdomen/upper pelvis, where it splits into the left and right femoral arteries. These arteries run down the inside of the leg, and each one is roughly the size of one's thumb. Severing the femoral causes mass hemorrhage, leading to unconsciousness in seconds and death in minutes.

Remember, it is essentially a straight-line shot from the femoral to the heart. If the officer is close enough to a malefactor armed with a knife to kick him or her in the face, the malefactor with the knife is close enough to the officer to cut him or her. As well, during the kick the officer has no choice except to expose his or her femoral artery to a slashing attack. And a slashed femoral will put the officer out of the fight, perhaps permanently.

--Al

With all those kids running around, discharging a weapon doesn't seem like the best choice, although the expert seems to think that made it the right decision, we'll just have to wait and see what the next expert says:)

@Alf .... I appreciate what a knife can do ... But this is a man (with training) vs a child and this officer had so many other options. Talking ... Adjusting the tone of his voice and talking some more ... Using his TAZER ... Using his baton or as I suggested using a kick to the head. But this officer used his gun ... In a school.

I went and watched some of the videos of this shooting. What I saw was an armed man storming around the square menacing many high-school students. At one point the police officer appeared to avoid a lunge by the armed man. Then the student lunged out-of-frame to the left; next thing we see is he's down on the ground writhing in pain.

The time for talking was over. The time for modulated tone was over. Getting within reach of his weapons was never an option. It was time for the kid to drop the knives or get shot, and he didn't drop the knives.

It looks like a righteous shooting to me.

--Al

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. But you can shoot a knife carrying maniac if they are 21 feet or less from you.

What I saw was an armed man storming around the square menacing many high-school students.

Keeping in mind this armed man was a fourteen year old boy .... I seemed to have missed your point. More .... this cop fired in the proximity of other students who for whatever reasons stuck around to be menaced.

Keeping in mind this armed man was a fourteen year old boy .... I seemed to have missed your point. More .... this cop fired in the proximity of other students who for whatever reasons stuck around to be menaced.
Because no 14 year old ever killed anyone, especially not at school :rolleyes:

Discharging his weapon with kids around really isn't any worse than a kid who's mentally unstable with 2 knives lunging at the kids. If the person with the gun is trained..the odds of the other kids being hurt is probably higher with the knife wielder. He didn't kill the kid and he gave immediate first aid. It's not like he did a center mass shot and then stood around and watched the kid bleed out. He shot him in the shoulder.

I can't wait for the day when this happens and the cops just don't show up. If things keep on this way that's exactly what's going to happen. Who wants to protect those who don't want you there anyways? Those who find fault no matter what you do. Not all that long ago there was a cop that was demonized because he tazered a kid. Everyone was under the assumption that since he was bigger than the kid, he should have just wrestled them down. But that's also illegal. It's a no win situation.

Also he wasn't just brandishing it randomly. Witness accounts have him actively trying to stab the other kid.
Reno Police Chief Jason Soto said the incident began at 11:25 a.m. with an altercation between two students. One of those students drew a knife and tried to attack others. At that point, a school police officer told the student to drop the knife, Soto said. When the student didn't cooperate, the officer shot him and then provided medical attention, he said.

Witness testimony and videos posted to social media on Wednesday also depict the incident.

One video posted on Facebook about 1:30 p.m. showed the moments leading up to the shooting. The video starts with several students avoiding a boy in a blue shirt brandishing a knife. A male voice can be heard yelling to the crowd of students, “Back up, back up!”

At 22 seconds into the video, a single gunshot is heard and several students scream. The camera then shows the boy writhing in pain on the ground. A police officer can be seen approaching the boy with a pistol drawn, still pointed at him.

School officials begin to yell, “Get out of here!”

The police officer approaches the boy and appears to move something away using his feet. The officer then kneels next to the boy and turns him over on his back. Before the video ends, the officer can be seen using his radio.

In a video posted on Twitter at 12:39 p.m., the same boy is seen waving his knife in attack. Another video posted at 12:40 p.m. depicts the moments immediately following the shooting as the police officer approaches the boy who is now on the ground.

The videos don’t show when or why the student pulled out a knife.

[..]

Jiselle Mandugano said she saw the incident. The 17-year-old Hug student said she was outside the cafeteria as students were leaving lunch when she saw a group of students gather around two other students who appeared to be fighting.

One student pulled out a knife and began swinging at the other, Mandugano told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

“The other kid tried to avoid it,” she said. “I didn’t see him get shot. I just saw him fall to the floor.

“I was scared. I don’t know what I was feeling.”

Hug freshman Robert Barragan also said he witnessed the shooting and provided the same details. He said the police officer shot the knife-wielding student in the shoulder area. The student fell to the ground and another officer arrived, Barragan said.
http://www.rgj.com/story/news/crime...-officer-involved-shooting-hug-high/95101402/

If he had succeeded in stabbing somebody, would the stabbing victim have been injured?

Could that victim have died? Or no, because his or her assailant was "a fourteen year old boy"?

My point here is the officer was reduced to exactly one response, and he took it. That Hollyweird bullshit of disarming a knife-wielding man while causing him no injuries only happens in fiction. It works so well in the 43 minutes of a TV show, leaving 17 minutes for advertisements, because the screenwriters make it work. Real life isn't that neat and prepackaged. As just one instance of that, the knifeman had, not one, but two weapons. The officer cannot attack both weapons simultaneously; after all, he doesn't have a screenwriter in his life either. So he attacks one . . . and the knifeman stabs him with the other.

The officer may well have evaded the knifeman's first lunge because he did not have a clear shot. When he got a clear shot -- meaning there was nobody in position to be hit by the bullet before it struck the knifeman or after it passed through his body -- he took it.

The knifeman took one round in the shoulder. The officer could have taken a center-mass shot, putting a round through the knifeman's aorta and guaranteeing a life-threatening wound. He didn't; instead, he took the much riskier option of shooting the knifeman in the shoulder. Luckily, it was an effective wound. If it had not been, if the knifeman had gotten up and grabbed his knives again, the officer would have had no recourse except to take the knifeman's life. The adrenaline coursing through the knifeman's blood stream, suffusing all his organs, would have given the knifeman almost superhuman strength, clarity, focus, and determination -- and mere bullets won't stop that.

Adrenaline is the original high-performance additive.

As far as the kids sticking around when TSHTF? Kids think they're invulnerable; more, as the research shows over and over, people's brains don't start functioning reliably on an adult level until they are in their mid-20s. You raised sons; odds are you know exactly what I am talking about.

--Al

Last edited:
Hey dad, how about owning the fact that your sweet little monster wanted to go all Benihana on some kids at school.
Dad sounds like one of those asshats that no matter what, his boy would be ever so innocent and misunderstood.
How about owning that your son was literally a dual, knife wielding maniac.
He should be happy he is not on the eternal shithead list making the apology tour to parents of carved up kids.

Now as for a high school named Hug...wth was Grope taken?

Gotta love how much they are down playing him holding the knives. At @McDanel 's link the family attorney repeated says "waving the knife" and says the police shooting was an "attempted execution".

The DA and the school board have both made statements that imply the family is warping the truth. We know they have at least 3 videos and witness accounts that don't coincide with the family's version. Then there's a video that this kid posted on FB that shows him in a fight, as an aggressor. Since hiring the attorney they have deleted his dad's FB. Deleting a vast amount of racial comments. And a few in which the father egged his son to stand up and be a man. This kid and his dad have previous convictions and the kid was only let out of juvi on Nov. 22.

They say he reported he was being bullied and was going to be jumped on the very same day he brought knives to school. For thought? Doubt it. You don't pack knives "just in case". And if he was scared of being jumped, why didn't his family step in? They claim they were aware of it.

I hate that this "dad" is just around for the media attention and the possibility of a law suit. The lawyer is claiming the kid is special needs..but he hasn't even talked to the person he lives with. He lives with his grandpa, not his mooching dad. During the emergency surgery from the stoke he lost part of a lung and now his dad is claiming that he won't be able to go to college because of it. I have doubts he'd have gone anyways..

Logan's FB: https://www.facebook.com/logan.clark.75457?ref=br_rs

Video of him fighting (almost exactly 1 year ago to boot)

You can see him actually chasing the other kid trying to stab him while other students flee from his path:

One of dad's FB post (since deleted):
Screen-Shot-2016-12-08-at-11.44.39-AM.png

[doublepost=1481483327,1481482837][/doublepost]Another video. This one a bit better. He lunges repeatedly at the kids around him.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/everipedia-storage/NewlinkFiles/13106919/a3855679-3/KyP2oRBTJiBEWWEa.mp4

During the emergency surgery from the stoke he lost part of a lung and now his dad is claiming that he won't be able to go to college because of it. I have doubts he'd have gone anyways..

Well, if they were hoping he would go on an athletic scholarship that is definitely out now......

The dad is a rotten piece of shit. It's no surprise why his son turned out like this.

The kid clearly has been on the wrong path for a lengthy period of time, getting into fights and shit. What did the parents do to resolve that? Did they take any steps themselves to remedy the problems the kid was having at school? They change schools, they seek counseling for him, they pick up extra shifts or give up booze/cigs/videa games to afford a nice private school? Doubt it.

He'd have a point if the kid was being mugged/jumped, but the vid shows him running wildly at random kids swinging the knife like a dipshit. Sorry pops, your kid wasn't a victim that day, he was a dumbass threatening the lives of anyone and everyone nearby.

And what's with these fucktard kids and their inability to hold a god damned cellphone camera straight. Wish they had gotten shot or stabbed to death too.

And why were none of these kids running away from the knife wielding moron? You see someone with a knife, yet you don't all run the fuck away? I WISH more students had gone down that day.

Discussion here says the boy was shot in the shoulder. Media reports keep saying he was shot in the neck.

That single point is the whole story to me. A shot in the neck is much more likely to be fatal or life threatening than a shot in the shoulder.

If the cop intentionally shot the kid in the shoulder to put an end to the dangerous situation, I could accept that.

Using likely deadly force (close range, intentional shot to the neck) in response to what I see in the videos of the incident is irresponsible, overkill and downright cowardly on the part of the cop.

I just can't let the textspeak go without saying something. Nothing is more grating than grown-ass adults who write in textspeak. If dad wants others to read his point of view, he should write in a manner that does not induce a migraine in the reader.

Discussion here says the boy was shot in the shoulder. Media reports keep saying he was shot in the neck.

That single point is the whole story to me. A shot in the neck is much more likely to be fatal or life threatening than a shot in the shoulder.

If the cop intentionally shot the kid in the shoulder to put an end to the dangerous situation, I could accept that.

Using likely deadly force (close range, intentional shot to the neck) in response to what I see in the videos of the incident is irresponsible, overkill and downright cowardly on the part of the cop.
If you watch the videos you can see for yourself. He's shot in the shoulder/upper chest area. His neck is clearly visible in the videos and he clutches his shoulder area. There's even witness accounts stating the shoulder.

If he was in such fear of the other students, why didn't he drop the knives so the cop could protect him?

I live in the next town south, and lived in the Reno area for a year. Hug High has an unfortunate reputation.

Dennis Tueller is or at least was a training sergeant with the Salt Lake City police department. He determined that an aggressor with a knife within 20 feet can cover that distance and stab the defender before the defender can react. At 20 feet it's a tossup as to who would survive. Beyond that the defender survives. And that's the way police train.

Agreed, and that scenario isn't even considering whether or not the aggressor has any skills or training in edged weapon combat. All non-folding knives can be thrown, even the cheapest unbalanced kitchen knives, and there are fold knives on the market that are balanced for throwing.
Combine this with studies that have shown a person is more likely to use a knife when brandishing, versus brandishing a gun, and it's a small step of logic as to why LE and military train to shoot knife wielding attackers.

Back