• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Yep, they'll certainly make you want to do that. I hope the store employees had the good sense to call the cops, and turn the video over to the police to try to identify these two assholes.

Man Who Punched Toddler in Viral Video Held On $1M Bond

justin-wittington-and-son-550x541.jpg

crystal-wittington-540x171.jpg

A 23-year-old man who was caught on surveillance video punching his young son in the face is being held on $1 million bond.

Justin Whittington was arrested early Friday morning after the owner of Vest Market in Bakersfield uploaded the shocking video to Facebook.com on Thursday.

“That was horrible, man,” store owner Harry Dindral told the NY Daily News. “The worst thing I’ve ever seen.”

Dindral said he didn’t witness the child abuse in his store. He said an employee ran into the back room where he was working and told him to view the video of the incident.

Whittington is being held in Kern County jail on a charge of felony assault of a child. His first hearing is on Monday, April 13.

justin-whittington-booking-info-485x380.jpg

The shocking video shows Whittington chasing his son inside the supermarket and then punching the boy in the face.

He then picked the boy up off the floor and shoved him toward his heavily pregnant mother.

The child is seen holding his face and bawling as the mother walked him out of the store.

Police tracked down Whittington at his home after the video went viral online.

The boy was evaluated by medical professionals and he was determined to have no injuries.

He was left at the Whittington home in the care of his mother, Crystal Rhoden Whittington.

justin-whittington-485x763.jpg

Outraged Facebook users flooded the couple’s social media pages with comments. Crystal Whittington left a message of support for her locked up husband on the couple’s joint Facebook page (see above).

In one Facebook post — which she later deleted — she wrote, “The police want to interview me… Funny, I didn’t even remember applying for a job there!”

Is it a punch or a slap? Hard to tell if there's a closed fist in that video.

A single smackaroo isn't a big deal. If he had continued to beat on him, i could see getting all riled up about it. As is, seems like an overreaction. Society needs to mind their own business and stop coddling children.

Jack, dude, seriously? The kid got violently knocked off his feet by a shot to the face. This wasn't exactly a "single smackaroo" swat to the butt kind of thing.

Had that been a woman knocking a man on his ass... you'd be losing your fucking mind on her.

Had that been a woman knocking a man on his ass... you'd be losing your fucking mind on her.

Adults shouldn't be hitting eachother, no matter the gender(really not sure why you're even going into the specifics of gender).

Kids sometimes need to be punished however and it is the parental figures duty and responsibility to do so. Was this a bit too severe, perhaps, again hard to tell given the video quality and detail. It appears to me that there may be a major overreaction here. There's looking out for the well being of a child and then there's overstepping and trying to exert farrrr too much control on how someone chooses to parent. This one's a bit too murky for my comfort.

Adults shouldn't be hitting eachother, no matter the gender(really not sure why you're even going into the specifics of gender).

Kids sometimes need to be punished however and it is the parental figures duty and responsibility to do so. Was this a bit too severe, perhaps, again hard to tell given the video quality and detail. It appears to me that there may be a major overreaction here. There's looking out for the well being of a child and then there's overstepping and trying to exert farrrr too much control on how someone chooses to parent. This one's a bit too murky for my comfort.
Okay let's suppose a smack to the kid's face is appropriate, the fact is that the father hit that kid out of rage and frustration, something I've been guilty of myself. The difference being that I consciously made a decision to hit my kid on his ass to minimize the chance of injury, not blindly strike the kid in the face and knock him off his feet. Most importantly, the kid is about three years old and that shit is exactly what they do, and to think the kid will blindly follow you through a store is ludicrous.

Not exactly the crime of the century, but if the guy gets sentenced to some parenting classes and learns something about child development and preemptive tactics to recognize how a kid will behave in a certain situation, I'm all for that. Most importantly he needs to get control of how he handles his rage And frustration.

Lastly, who the fuck doesn't know that in this day and age that type of public smacking of your kid's face is going to get you into some trouble. At the very least the guy is guilty of being a monumental dumb ass.

Last edited:
Not exactly the crime of the century, but if the guy gets sentenced to some parenting classes and learns something about child development and preemptive tactics to recognize how a kid will behave in a certain situation, I'm all for that. Most importantly he needs to get control of how he handles his rage And frustration.

He's being held on a million dollars bond, they got something serious in plans for this trash.

You dress a kid up like a little shithead punk, he might just act like one. His parents are clearly pieces of shit of the highest class(or lowest, however you interpret).

The mother cracking jokes about the police interview too. Can't believe I stand up for all abused women. Some just enjoy being punching bags. Mayweather should hire this bitch as a speed bag, he likes hitting women anyways..

The kid isn't old enough to make the decision his cunt of a mother does each and every day she wakes up.

Kid could of cracked his head open and died right there. He put a lot of power into that running slap/punch and could only knock the kid on his back. I'd knock that father right over the fucking counter with one of those, open hand or not...

Gotta love the "Nobody can harm them but ME!" mentality...

The kids clothing comment has to do with me seeing little baby gangster hoodlums that make me wonder about the parents mental capacity...

It's not about being poor either, Goodwill has non ghetto clothes too...

My nephew had spider web designs cut in his hair when he was like 9 or 10 and he was at the playground, I jokingly said to my sister, "I wouldn't let my kid play with that kid!" as I walked past a mother, and she said "Well that's real fucking nice of you!" lol I laughed and said "I was joking about my nephew, thanks." She said "Well good!" lmao, I just told her to mind her own business.

Anyway I took a quick look around the playground and saw a 5 year old kid dressed like a ghetto hoodlum out of a ghetto rap video or something, and hmmmm, who's kid was that? I wonder????

I wouldn't let my kids play with them either, has nothing to do with the kid, and everything to do with me wondering what you teach him at home...

So you think it's "suitable punishment" to grab a child up by his arm, feet dangling, scream in his face and then a few seconds later lay him out on the floor with a hit to the face?

Okay let's suppose a smack to the kid's face is appropriate
Since when?? The kid had his arms up like he knew what was coming. If this is how he is treated in public, how much worse is it behind closed doors?

Stupid skank.
Agree.

Crystal Whittington left a message of support for her locked up husband on the couple’s joint Facebook page (see above).
She obviously has no problem with his disciplinary methods...pos needs to be spayed right after birthing the one in her belly.

So you think it's "suitable punishment" to grab a child up by his arm, feet dangling, scream in his face and then a few seconds later lay him out on the floor with a hit to the face?

Screaming in a kids face not only is potentially ineffective as a form of correction, but it will likely bother any bystanders. So no. A quick smack though, different story.

The key words to my retort to Jack was, let's suppose.

That is tough to watch, I really would of violently assaulted him on instinct... Reminds me of the Ray Rice video the way he just tries to drag him up like "nothing to see here..."

The kid had his arms up like he knew what was coming. If this is how he is treated in public, how much worse is it behind closed doors?

Same exact thing I thought. He wasn't running away the way that asshole little kids run from their parents when they're being bratty. He was running frantically and darting back and forth trying to find a safe place to get to, like a rabbit with a fox hot on its tail.

$1,000,000 ----> $20,000?

So how do you go from a judge saying you have to come up with $100K to 'Nevermind, just put up $2,000 and we'll call it good"...? :confused:

I thought a million dollar bond was a little high, comparatively speaking, and, I didn't watch the clip, but this has got to be right up there with the Top 10 reductions of the century.

justin-wittington-and-son-550x541.jpg

This picture says it all for me. The uncomfortable neck hug, knee up on dear daddy's chest, and mom's feet in the background as she tells the toddler to just accept "Daddy's love" for the picture. Classic, we'll show them what a great dad I am, with just one picture!

Good on em for lowering the bail. Murderers don't even get bail set that high. The guy is trash but he still deserves a fair shake with the justice system.

The bail was ridiculous. But the fact that we're even having the conversation in this thread is yet another reason why I'm coming to the conclusion that spanking needs to be criminalized.

The "reasoned" arguments we're using today to "justify" hitting our children are no different than the arguments used 75 years ago by husbands to justify hitting their wives. Wives are not property. Children are not property. Human beings are not property. You do NOT have to hit someone to correct their behavior. In fact, those who hit their kids most often for the purpose of discipline have the shittiest kids.

Study after study after study has proven that there is no case to be made for spanking. None. It simply cannot be and has not been proven more effective in any particular scenario in comparison to nonviolent methods of discipline. I don't understand why people cling to the practice so. I was spanked. I do not spank. It's not hard to abandon failed practices in light of research. Research is beginning to find that criminalizing spanking might actually lower crime rates.

The fact that hitting children is legal creates the grey area that occasionally leads to abuse. Indeed, it was reported by one study (a Canadian study, I believe) that 2/3 of parents arrested for abuse were doing so for disciplinary purposes, and many were unclear that their behavior was illegal. Not surprising, either, as it varies by state and isn't particularly clear anywhere. A smack on the butt is legal almost everywhere. A smack across the face is legal some places. A smack with a spatula (switch, belt, shoe, etc.) is legal some places. Too many smacks with those items are not. Smacks too hard with those items are not. What is too many? What is too hard?

I mean, this, written by lawyers: "Pursuant to the CAPTA standard, a short spanking is unlikely to constitute child abuse because it does not result in serious physical or emotional harm. However, if the parent repeatedly spanked the child with a closed fist or on a body part that resulted in significant [?] pain then the parent’s action could constitute child abuse depending on the severity of the actions and the state in which the actions occurred." Clear as fucking mud.

Granted, criminalizing the practice of hitting children will not eliminate child abuse anymore than criminalizing killing has eliminated murder. But, logic (and evidence) dictates that it will eliminate a significant amount.

Good on em for lowering the bail. Murderers don't even get bail set that high. The guy is trash but he still deserves a fair shake with the justice system.

Yeah, like I said, I didn't watch the clip, but judging by everyone's comments and the fact the little guy didn't leave in an ambulance, it seemed like the original bail amount was set based on emotion (and probably public reaction) rather than true legal guidelines.

We had an off duty cop here I used to date (dodged a bullet w/this guy) who was at dinner with his wife and friends, saw an ex-inmate he "hated" walk into the restaurant, they smarted off to each other and he (the cop) went out to his car, got his duty weapon and shot him dead right at the bar and his bail was a million bucks. Other than some crazy, knee-jerk reaction, I couldn't imagine where they'd come up that amount either.

You do NOT have to hit someone to correct their behavior. In fact, those who hit their kids most often for the purpose of discipline have the shittiest kids.

It can help. And the shittiest kids are the more deserving.

. None. It simply cannot be and has not been proven more effective in any particular scenario in comparison to nonviolent methods of discipline. I don't understand why people cling to the practice so.

It's often quicker and easier.

All half-joking aside, i hate the idea of the gov't stepping in and over-regulating parenting(or anything else for that matter). When a kid is hurt or when there's clear damage done, charge em. A smack across the face or rump is no big deal and never will be a big deal.

Back