• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Momzilla

Badass/PTA Mom
(This happened right around the corner from me & I think it's worth sharing)
Most times when a young person overdoses it's written that they 'died suddenly' or 'unexpectedly'- you don't often read the painfully honest words 'died with a needle in her arm'
But somehow this father, in the midst of unimaginable grief, managed to see beyond his loss & reach out to help others & I commend him for it.

mp1.jpg

Tom Parks wrote that his daughter was 'fearless...
a loving daughter, sister & grandaughter'

After losing his daughter to a heroin overdose, a grieving dad penned an honest obituary for his child. He says he wanted to highlight the dangers of drug addiction, and to help others who may be fighting similar battles.

Molly Parks, 24, died on April 16. Her body was found in the restroom at her job; she still had a needle stuck in her arm.

Parks, who lived in Manchester, New Hampshire, had battled drug addiction for several years. But her dad, Tom Parks, told the Washington Post that there were signs recently that she’d maybe taken a turn for the better.
[...]
After her death, Tom Parks posted a heartbreaking, and candid, message on Facebook.

“My daughter Molly Parks made many good choices in her too short life and she made some bad choices. She tried to fight addiction in her own way and last night her fight came to an end in a bathroom of a restaurant with a needle of heroin,” he wrote. “Her whole family tried to help her win the battle but we couldn't show her a way that could cure her addiction ... If you have a friend or a relative who is fighting the fight against addiction please do everything you can to be supportive."
"I hope my daughter can now find the peace that she looked for here on Earth," he added.
[...]
Even if one person reads that and says, ‘Oh my God, that can be me,’ and stops -- if we could save one life -- we could be happy,” he said. “That would mean that Molly didn’t die in vain.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...3336.html?cps=gravity_1787_241375067897246032
image.jpg

Here's a link to Molly's obituary:
http://www.tributes.com/obituary/read/Molly-Alice-Parks-102393825

Last edited:
Several years ago in my area, there was a woman who panhandled at an intersection during the morning and evening commute. Drivers were very generous. Then she was not there any more. a Couple weeks later an older lady stood in her spot during the commute holding a sign which said something like: "My daughter stood at this intersection every day panhandling. She is no longer here because she died of a heroin overdose. Thanks for your generosity."

Several years ago in my area, there was a woman who panhandled at an intersection during the morning and evening commute. Drivers were very generous. Then she was not there any more. a Couple weeks later an older lady stood in her spot during the commute holding a sign which said something like: "My daughter stood at this intersection every day panhandling. She is no longer here because she died of a heroin overdose. Thanks for your generosity."

I know she was hurt, but its shitty to make good Samaritans feel bad for giving her child money. Why didn't she come hang out while she was alive with a sign that said " Stop being generous, my child is not hungry, she's an addict."

I know she was hurt, but its shitty to make good Samaritans feel bad for giving her child money. Why didn't she come hang out while she was alive with a sign that said " Stop being generous, my child is not hungry, she's an addict."

We don't know all the facts. Maybe the mother did not live in the area, and only came to town after her daughter's death. It is a big city, maybe mom did not know where or if her daughter was panhandling. Also, the panhandler was in her 40's and a lifetime addict. So the mother had probably been through every experience. I don't have a problem with the mother going out afterwards and making the point that feeling good about giving to a beggar usually means you are mainly supporting their habit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back