• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

DarkPrincess

Trusted Member
Russell Evans
Police say an eighth grader found dying on a roadway was a hit-and-run victim, but his parents believe he was murdered.

une_russell_evans1.jpg

Russell Evans

une_russell_evans2.jpg

Russell was found lying in the street

CASE DETAILS

On June 4th, 1989, in Spokane, Washington, two friends on their way home were startled when their headlights revealed a body stretched out in the road. Thirteen year-old Russell Evans had apparently been struck by a car. He was barely alive, calling out for someone named Brian. Russell was admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital at 1:30 AM. Doctors struggled through the night to save his life as his parents stood by. The emergency team worked frantically, but by morning, Russell Evans was dead.
une_russell_evans3.jpg

Was it a hit and run?

Russell was an active and popular 8th grader at Libby Middle School in Spokane. By the age of 13, he was already 6’3â€￾ tall. Aaron Abrhamson was one of his best friends:
“We did everything together. He was at my house every day and he was very well-liked. He had a good sense of humor. And he got along with pretty much everybody… he had no problems.â€￾
On the night of June 3rd, in the hours before Russell died, he was with Aaron and other friends hanging out at a local park. It was a typical summer evening, until they were approached by two other teenagers. It escalated into an argument over Aaron’s girlfriend. Aaron said he was threatened and that Russell came to his defense:
“One of the teenagers said, ‘You’d better watch out, because maybe I’ll send my homeboys on you.’ But I didn’t really think much of it. So I just turned around and we left, and he got in his car with his friend and took off.â€￾
une_russell_evans4.jpg

His shoes and blood were far from body

After leaving the park, Russell spent the rest of the evening at a friend’s house. Then, at about 12:30 AM, he called his father to say that he was heading home.
Based on evidence found at the scene, police constructed a hit-and-run scenario. Spokane Police Lt. James Hill:
“On impact with the vehicle, he was separated from his shoes. He finally came to rest about seventy-five feet from where we think he was struck.â€￾
Forensic pathologist George Lindholm concluded that Russell was likely struck in the back by a bumper. However, his father, John Evans, had a different opinion:
“We looked at him after he died and I thought he had been in a fight. Later on, when the police started talking about hit-and-run, his mom and I just couldn’t buy that. The injuries weren’t there.â€￾
John and Sue Evans obtained copies of the official police report, complete with photographs. They noted that Russell’s shoes didn’t have their laces; they had been torn out. To Russell’s parents, it seemed like an important clue. The Evans’ returned to the scene of the accident with Sandy Ferris, the woman who had found Russell. Something didn’t feel right to Russell’s father:
“There was blood on the shoelace. Now tell me, how do you get blood on the shoelace if you’re struck and driven out of your shoes and thrown fifty feet down the hill?â€￾
John and Sue became convinced that their son had been struck by something other than a hit-and-run driver, and they hired their own pathologist to investigate. While he did conclude that Russell had been hit by a car, the pathologist also told John that he found evidence of a struggle:
“This pathologist came back to us with the findings that Russell had been in a physical altercation prior to his death. If a body flies through the air, when that body hits the pavement, there would be some massive scraping. Russell did not have this.â€￾
Based on their research, Russell’s father reconstructed his son’s final moments:
“I think it was a fight, going back up the hill. According to his hands, he got his licks in. He had finger bruises on his face and the side of the nose. Finger bruising on his upper arms, as though he were being held.â€￾
Due to the allegations, the boys involved in the altercation with Russell and Aaron were given polygraph tests. They all passed.
Sandy Ferris, the woman who found Russell at the scene, claimed Russell was calling out to someone for help that night:
“When I first got there, the first thing I asked him was what happened. And he started calling for Brian. He said it more like the person was in listening in the distance, that his friend should have been there. After the police had gotten there, and they had started to put Russell in the ambulance, we saw a boy in white shorts up in the bushes and he was running up the hill. I tried to tell the policeman this a couple of times, but he kept telling me to get on the sidewalk. I thought maybe that could have been Brian.â€￾
John Evans knew a friend of Russell’s named Brian and asked him if he knew anything:
“I asked Brian what he was wearing that night, and he said ‘Well, I was wearing white shorts and white t-shirt. But I was nowhere around.’ Then, later down the line, when the police questioned him, he denied owning that kind of outfit.â€￾
Police speculate that the man Sandy saw running off was simply a curious citizen that heard the commotion and went out to take a look. But when Sue Evans arrived at the hospital that night, someone named Brian had just called the emergency ward to ask about Russell. She finds this more than suspicious:
“Who would have known about this? Unless somebody named Brian was at that scene, who he was calling for.â€￾
Russell’s father John remains suspicious about the events of that night:
“There may be one or two people that know more than they’re telling, and the reason they’re probably not telling is that they are afraid for their lives.â€￾
Evidence from the scene fully convinced Russell’s parents that he had been attacked and murdered, while police still believe Russell was the victim of a hit-and-run. However, officially, the case remains unsolved.

http://www.unsolved.com/unexplained.html

I know this is old, but this has intrigued me. I found a website where the daughter of the responding witness posted their thoughts, and that the mom did in 2003 haunted by this unsolved tragedy. I also found an old article or two with the results of the family's PI, including admissions by suspects to having killed this boy.

icon1.gif

Hi, My name is Calley. My mother, Sandy Ferris, was the one that found Russell Evens. My freind Kellie was the one that found this site for me. I just got done reading your reply to her questioning about the spokane death. Growing up with my mom being on this show and living in Spokane for almost my whole life, I have heard lots of different ideas about what happened that night. My brother and I have had all sorts of friends there, friends that know people that know that truth about that night. We have heard that it is gang related and that the two guys that Russell got into a fight with ealier that night we in fact part of a gang. Russell's friend Brian, from what we heard, was part of this gang that killed Russell. There are people, Brian included, that know the real truth with what happend that night. At the time of the death, my brother was the same height as Russell. Our mom, Sandra Ferris, had my brother stand infront of a car; if Russell was hit by a hit and run driver his knees would have been broken and they weren't. So, we also believe that he was not killed by a hit and run driver but by a gang of Spokane.

My mother is no longer alive, she passed away in October of 2003. Till the day of her own death she was hunted of what happened that night. But she is in Hevean with Russell now, and she can rest at ease knowing the truth. Something she has wanted since that horrible night.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410#ixzz37kcpELUP

New witnesses have come forward who say 13-year-old Russell Evans was murdered seven years ago in Spokane.

Based on their statements, the boy’s parents believe they’ve identified gang members who may have carried out the killing with clubs and a car.

John and Sue Evans, joined by private investigator Sandy Brewer, said Thursday they have identified additional witnesses who have come forward since a news story was published in Tuesday’s Spokesman-Review.

They also have identified a possible vehicle used in the killing.

The Evans family is posting $5,000 reward posters throughout the city, hoping to solve the case.

Police maintain the teenager was a hit-and-run victim, but haven’t ruled out other possibilities.

One newly identified witness says Evans was run over with a car after being clubbed by a youth gang, apparently seeking revenge, Brewer told reporters Thursday.

Standing near their son’s grave in Holy Cross Cemetery, the boy’s parents and Brewer played a tape recording from another witness interviewed a few months ago.

“I ended up killing that boy last night,” the witness says, quoting one of the suspected killers. Brewer didn’t divulge the identify or whereabouts of the witness or others she’s located.

WITNESS SPEAKS Here are excerpts from a taped statement by a witness claiming to be a gang member involved in the June 4, 1989, death of 13-year-old Russell Evans. A suspect involved said: ” ‘Man, you know I screwed up.’ He said, ‘I ended up killing that boy last night.’ I said, ‘What happened?’ He didn’t tell the full details. He ended up running him over…” “I remember vividly…he told me that ‘what I did was I hit him. Once I hit him, backed up and ran over him.’ He said he tried to put on like he didn’t mean to do it.” Later the group discussed an alibi: “If we see the police to go on ahead and cover for him and say that he was…with us. He had talked to me. He had told me at that moment of time. “I mean, nobody ever came and approached us, as far as an officer, police officer. Nobody came and asked us…”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/mar/01/new-witnesses-come-forward-in-teens-death-parents/

I don't understand why Brian Buescher wouldn't stay and speak with cops, but I did find a post on the matter allegedly made by him:

This is Brian, and I can say that I was in no gang, nor was Russ, however, there were crips and bloods in Spokane, and smaller gangs stemming from those. I see that a lot of people have watched the episode about Russell's death and have made several speculations as to the cause. My family and I moved about a year after Russ passed, before the taping of the episode, and the show made no effort to contact me regarding any circumstances they made of referred about me. I was happy when I heard that Russ's case was going to be on Unsolved Mysteries. Although, I do have on problem with the airing. I was with Russ earlier that day playing basketball at a friends house, along with others, then a few of us went back to Russ's house afterwords. Later on that night some of us went to the bowling alley were we frequented often. There was a small scuffle which didn't involve Russ at all. It wasn't much later that I separated from Russ. So as I was at home sleeping, I get a call from a friend whom told me that Russ had been killed, I think this was around 5am. So what makes me upset about the episode is that it appears they have the same person reenacting me playing basketball with Russ earlier and that same person reenacting the person the paramedics say they saw in the distance.

As for Russ calling out for Brian, well, I'll just leave that one alone.

I liked Russell Evans very much, and still miss him! If I knew, or ever did, know what happened that night I wouldn't lie. But I would also like to give my thoughts to his family. I was told that a few years after Russ died, his Father did too.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410&page=2#ixzz37keZDaz5

And Russell's sister allegedly commented on the same thread a bit later with more info:

"Wow, I am so surprised and kind of happy that people are still talking about this. I am Russell's little sister, and I am sure (for everyone wondering) that was Brian posting previously. I saw him posting on a facebook page about it and asked him to take it down. He said he took it down out of respect. I know Brian was there and knows what happened; that is not a question in my mind. At this time in the investigation I am more interested in having the Spokane police officers responsible for this botched investigation brought to justice."

I am also glad to see you post here. I'm sorry for your loss and also hope that we will find out more about what happened. I read the rest of your message and interestingly we're about the same age.

Anyway, I agree that it probably was Brian posting previously. His screenname "Chucky Brown", is the name of a basketball player that I know for a fact played professionally for the Yakima Sun Kings in the CBA (at least during the 1994-1995 season, maybe other seasons as well). Since you know that the city of Yakima is also in the state of Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew of Chucky Brown because of that.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410&page=3#ixzz37kfbSSyM

Also, found an old newspaper article with the family findings

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...pAyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pfEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4857,3957595

And totally unrelated, I read somewhere someone claiming that Russell's older sister did herself some years later at a party.

I know this is old, but this has intrigued me. I found a website where the daughter of the responding witness posted their thoughts, and that the mom did in 2003 haunted by this unsolved tragedy. I also found an old article or two with the results of the family's PI, including admissions by suspects to having killed this boy.

icon1.gif

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410#ixzz37kcpELUP

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/mar/01/new-witnesses-come-forward-in-teens-death-parents/

I don't understand why Brian Buescher wouldn't stay and speak with cops, but I did find a post on the matter allegedly made by him:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410&page=2#ixzz37keZDaz5

And Russell's sister allegedly commented on the same thread a bit later with more info:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122410&page=3#ixzz37kfbSSyM

Also, found an old newspaper article with the family findings

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...pAyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pfEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4857,3957595

And totally unrelated, I read somewhere someone claiming that Russell's older sister did herself some years later at a party.

I found this today;

In 1989, Russell Evans was killed, by ex- Ferris high school students; one of them told me he did it and he graduated from Ferris in 1988. This is how I was told, for what happened, which killed Russell Evans: A four door car, full with four 18-20 year old young adults, sitting in the back seats of that car was a Darrel (not Darnel) and the killer Thomas J. GROH (TJ). Thomas J. GROH (TJ) told me they were driving down the hill and they saw a tall kid walking on the side of the road, and Thomas J. GROH said they just wanted to scare the kid; the car pulled up next to Russell Evans, like the "Dukes of Hazard", and grabbed a hold of Russell Evans and took off down the hill, holding Russell Evans along the side of the car. When the car took off, down the hill, holding onto Russell Evans, Russell's long legs, went back and under the rear wheel of the car, while Russell Evans was being held by THOMAS J. GROH (TJ)- through the back door window of the car, and Russell Evans feet were ran over by the rear wheel. That is how Russell Evans shoe was found at the top of the hill, and how the shoe had come off from Russell Evans. At the bottom of the hill, Thomas J. GROH (TJ) let Russell Evans go, and that is were Russell Evans had died. Remember that Russell Evans was a tall 12 year, that maybe was thought to be older, because of his height. Thomas J. GROH, a year after Russell Evans murder, had gone to Washington's Walla Walla state prison, for around 7 years for an assault charge. TJ Groh, is the murderer, who told me he was involved, with what is said above; You can even ask TJ Grohs girlfriend, Holly, I'm sure he told her. Also, if anyone would like to debate me on what I was told, then why don't you first do forensics on the two shoes, found on the hill, for tire rubber. Or do those shoes exist today, in Spokanes unsolved murder evidence department. Or could it be a cover up, because you don't see the reward poster, that was in on the wall, inside Spokane south hills Round Table Pizza, on Regal Street. Thomas J. GROH (TJ) showed me that framed reward poster, at that pizza place, after he said what happened to Russell Evans.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/vnn/5847712176.html

Appears some folks got away with murder. Only chance this will ever be fully resolved is a very late in life guilt trip type of deal, and i doubt they'd have enough for a conviction in such a case anyways.

I found this today;

In 1989, Russell Evans was killed, by ex- Ferris high school students; one of them told me he did it and he graduated from Ferris in 1988. This is how I was told, for what happened, which killed Russell Evans: A four door car, full with four 18-20 year old young adults, sitting in the back seats of that car was a Darrel (not Darnel) and the killer Thomas J. GROH (TJ). Thomas J. GROH (TJ) told me they were driving down the hill and they saw a tall kid walking on the side of the road, and Thomas J. GROH said they just wanted to scare the kid; the car pulled up next to Russell Evans, like the "Dukes of Hazard", and grabbed a hold of Russell Evans and took off down the hill, holding Russell Evans along the side of the car. When the car took off, down the hill, holding onto Russell Evans, Russell's long legs, went back and under the rear wheel of the car, while Russell Evans was being held by THOMAS J. GROH (TJ)- through the back door window of the car, and Russell Evans feet were ran over by the rear wheel. That is how Russell Evans shoe was found at the top of the hill, and how the shoe had come off from Russell Evans. At the bottom of the hill, Thomas J. GROH (TJ) let Russell Evans go, and that is were Russell Evans had died. Remember that Russell Evans was a tall 12 year, that maybe was thought to be older, because of his height. Thomas J. GROH, a year after Russell Evans murder, had gone to Washington's Walla Walla state prison, for around 7 years for an assault charge. TJ Groh, is the murderer, who told me he was involved, with what is said above; You can even ask TJ Grohs girlfriend, Holly, I'm sure he told her. Also, if anyone would like to debate me on what I was told, then why don't you first do forensics on the two shoes, found on the hill, for tire rubber. Or do those shoes exist today, in Spokanes unsolved murder evidence department. Or could it be a cover up, because you don't see the reward poster, that was in on the wall, inside Spokane south hills Round Table Pizza, on Regal Street. Thomas J. GROH (TJ) showed me that framed reward poster, at that pizza place, after he said what happened to Russell Evans.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/vnn/5847712176.html
The problem is, we're not the police, we're just a bunch of extraordinary people that like to discuss crime stories.
The person you need to talk to is the mother of Russell Evans.
Tell her what you know. she'll know who to talk to.

Was is a recent post @Eldivino ? They've removed it now.

The problem is, we're not the police, we're just a bunch of extraordinary people that like to discuss crime stories.
The person you need to talk to is the mother of Russell Evans.
Tell her what you know. she'll know who to talk to.
I don't think he posted it, he says he found the post and the link is to craigslist.

I've seen that Craiglist post before; it was made years ago and was reported to the police way back when ... I'll see if I can pull anything up = I'm sure there was an update in there such as Brian moved to Ohio right after the incident etc etc.

To the person who threatened us with a lawsuit, I tried replying back but it is bouncing back stating the email address you sent from does not exist. That may or not be the case, but here is our reply since I figure you are checking to see if this post is still up in 10 days:

We are a little confused about your legal threat. What is defamatory about the post? It's just links to published news articles with anonymous people offering their opinions?

Feel free to reply here, or via email with an address we can reply back to.

To the person who threatened us with a lawsuit, I tried replying back but it is bouncing back stating the email address you sent from does not exist. That may or not be the case, but here is our reply since I figure you are checking to see if this post is still up in 10 days:

We are a little confused about your legal threat. What is defamatory about the post? It's just links to published news articles with anonymous people offering their opinions?

Feel free to reply here, or via email with an address we can reply back to.

Can you copy/paste their email response (if given) in the thread or elsewhere and/or provide us their email address? Be good to have some fun with. Thanks.

Back