• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

BostonBurns

Insufferable Bastard
Bold Member!
Officer Jesse Kidder is a a hero today for apparently not shooting a murder suspect who charged him following a chase. It's a story of a cop doing the right thing, but a story not often reported by the media. With all of the police shootings in the news lately, I do have to wonder if the outcome would have been the same, had the suspect been a black man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-terrifying-confrontation-caught-bodycam.html

• Officer Jesse Kidder was confronted by Michael Wilcox, 27, in Ohio
  • Suspect allegedly shot his fiance and best friend in separate incidents
  • During a police chase he got out of his car and charged at Kidder
  • Wilcox repeatedly said 'shoot me', but the cop constantly refused
  • Eventually Wilcox submitted and surrendered to Kidder and his partner
  • The former Marine had only been on the New Richmond force a year
An Ohio police officer has been praised for not firing at an armed double murder suspect as he charged at him during a terrifying incident caught on a bodycam.

Former Marine Jesse Kidder was in a patrol car chasing Michael Wilcox, who allegedly gunned down is fiance and best friend, in New Richmond on Thursday when they stopped and continued the confrontation on foot.

The 27-year-old accused killer then started sprinting towards Kidder, asking him to shoot.

The officer had been warned by dispatchers before he arrived at the scene that the suspect might try 'suicide by cop'.

Why is just one cop being applauded here, it appears more were at the scene. As soon as the guy lays down other cops are on him, surely they had been there during at least the end portion of the charge. Seems several need to be hailed for their stellar professionalism and respect for human life.

I do have to wonder if the outcome would have been the same, had the suspect been a black man

Yawn.

Cop(potentially several cops actually) reacts with a shockingly cool, level-head and you assume he might be a racist? The fuck?!?

Impressive stuff. I wouldn't have faulted him for firing, especially after he loses his balance and falls to the ground. The guy seemed damn close to within striking distance, wouldn't expect a cop to wait until someone has actually made physical contact with a tackle or punch or something in a situation like this.

Of course instead this officer stays calm under pressure and maintains his aim on the suspect should the threat level suddenly change. He doesn't give in to fear or anger or resort to some childish, "i'm a cop and i don't run from shit, fuck this criminal... bang bang" reaction. Good on him.

All that said, i wouldn't call him a hero. Not killing a scumbag isn't a heroic action.

Cop(potentially several cops actually) reacts with a shockingly cool, level-head and you assume he might be a racist? The fuck?!?
I never implied the guy was a racist, you inferred it. My inquiring mind simply wondered what the outcome would have been as we have seen plenty of video evidence to substantiate that vein of speculation.

I never implied the guy was a racist, you inferred it. My inquiring mind simply wondered what the outcome would have been as we have seen plenty of video evidence to substantiate that vein of speculation.

Well now i'm lost.

I do have to wonder if the outcome would have been the same, had the suspect been a black man.

We're assuming EVERYTHING else is the same right? Same officers, same crime, exact same behavior, only difference is the color of the suspects skin? And just to make sure i understand you, you're posing the question of, "would the officer have chosen to shoot/kill him instead of taking every measure to resist the use of deadly force when the situation didn't yet call for it, if the suspect had been black rather than white?".

What other reason could there be for an officer handling the situation differently outside of racism? How is the question you're posing NOT a question of whether or not the officer might be a racist?

Well now i'm lost.

We're assuming EVERYTHING else is the same right? Same officers, same crime, exact same behavior, only difference is the color of the suspects skin? And just to make sure i understand you, you're posing the question of, "would the officer have chosen to shoot/kill him instead of taking every measure to resist the use of deadly force when the situation didn't yet call for it, if the suspect had been black rather than white?".

What other reason could there be for an officer handling the situation differently outside of racism? How is the question you're posing NOT a question of whether or not the officer might be a racist?
Okay, I thought about how to respond to your question concisely and thoroughly, and I realized that my statement about "wondering if the outcome would be the same," should have actually been, "I wish the suspect was a black man, so I would have video suggestive of what I would like to believe; that the shootings we have seen were the result of the cop legitimately using self-defense out of fear for his life, or a trigger happy yahoo who would have shot anybody in the same situation, regardless of their skin color. Of course that could never be substantiated and I think I'd be naive to think that there aren't racist cops on police forces throughout the country, but very few would let race be the deciding factor in their use of deadly force.

Okay, I thought about how to respond to your question concisely and thoroughly, and I realized that my statement about "wondering if the outcome would be the same," should have actually been, "I wish the suspect was a black man, so I would have video suggestive of what I would like to believe; that the shootings we have seen were the result of the cop legitimately using self-defense out of fear for his life, or a trigger happy yahoo who would have shot anybody in the same situation, regardless of their skin color. Of course that could never be substantiated and I think I'd be naive to think that there aren't racist cops on police forces throughout the country, but very few would let race be the deciding factor in their use of deadly force.

Because situations like that simply don't make the news. Armed suspects are apprehended on a daily basis, frequently, regardless of race of either the cop or the suspect. Shit, in my own backyard it happens nightly. As a matter fact, there was a police chase just the other day, televised live thru downtown STL where the perp shot 42 rounds at police officers while being apprehended after robbing a bank. He was safely taken into custody after speeding down the Interstate at 120+ mph, weaving thru traffic.

Not headline worthy though. That doesn't spark outrage. It's not worth making a big deal since the cops didn't return fire, despite watching them duck behind vehicles and cement barriers to avoid his bullets.

:rolleyes:

• Wilcox repeatedly said 'shoot me', but the cop constantly refused
That's the solution to all of this! Beg them to kill you, run towards them in a frightening manner and they won't, in fact they refuse. The rules of criminals and police are being rewrote!

Well blows me down!
images

He should have shot the fucker. The bastard will get out of prison and kill someone else now...but so long as the bleeding hearts have something to gush over...I suppose that is all that matters.

Latest posts

Back