• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
This one's so full of sadness and WTF I can't even begin to write my own summary. I've ranted about MH training in LE at least three dozen times, so I digress...
Quintonio LeGrier got hung up on by a Chicago emergency dispatcher and dialed 911 three times before a police officer fatally shot him, recordings revealed Monday.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel came back early from his vacation and ordered a review of the Chicago Police Department’s mental health policies after the Dec. 26 shooting killed the 19-year-old college student and a 55-year-old neighbor.

The city’s Independent Police Review Authority, which is investigating the incident, released LeGrier’s three calls and his father Antonio LeGrier’s call Monday. Chicago officer Robert Rialmo shot the younger LeGrier six times and accidentally shot Bettie Jones after police said LeGrier rushed at Rialmo while swinging a baseball bat, according to the Chicago Tribune. . .

Continued: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-quintonio-legrier-dialed-911-times-article-1.2509338

I find that funny all of my kids at some point when they were younger called 911 and even though they believed me on the phone or on call back they STILL sent an officer & my child had to be physically eyeballed. Joked with them & stuff - just the we're not going to miss anything. One came back and had dinner with us! Stuff like this amazes me! What if I have a seizure - sometimes I can't remember simple things for a little bit if they are bad.

I am really confused on this. How was he shot by a cop minutes later if they didn't respond. Was the officer the one he felt was threatening his life in the first place? I really need this one dumbed down a little for me. They should have sent an officer after the first call, and surely by the second. Wouldn't the number be flagged as calling just a minute before?

@Vishs - This excerpt from the article indicates an officer hadn't been dispatched until his third call;
Emergency dispatch experts interviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times also questioned the dispatchers’ conduct. Paul Linnee, the former director of 911 communications for the city of Minneapolis, said the operators should have sent a police officer to the scene after either one of LeGrier’s first two calls.

And here's an excerpt from another article below that explains the situation a bit more clearly.
About three minutes later, his father Antonio sounded panicked as he called 911 and there’s a banging noise in the background. He told police that his son had a baseball bat in his hands and was trying to break into his bedroom.

Police arrived moments later. One officer opened fire, claiming Quintonio LeGrier was belligerent and swinging a bat at him.

LeGrier was killed. 55-year-old Bettie Jones, a resident in the building, also died when she was hit by a stray bullet.

OEMC says they discovered the circumstances around the two calls after an internal review and immediately began an internal disciplinary process.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01...e-was-fatally-shot-by-chicago-police-officer/

http://abc7chicago.com/news/911-calls-from-night-of-quintonio-legrier-shooting-released/1173556/

CHICAGO (WLS) --

Audio for the 911 calls made the night that Quintonio LeGrier, 19, and Bettie Jones, 55, were fatally shot by a Chicago police officer were released Monday afternoon.

The shooting happened the day after Christmas in December 2015 in the West Garfield Park neighborhood.

Initially, it was believed that there were only two 911 calls - one from LeGrier, who was home on winter break, and a second from his father. However, now the city's Independent Police Review Authority has determined that there were four calls -- three of them from Quintonio LeGrier.

"It was very clear that he wanted the police department there to help him. Not once, not twice, but three times. And the system completely failed," said Larry Rogers, Jr., an attorney for Bettie Jones' family.

After hearing the 911 calls, a lawyer for LeGrier's father, Antonio LeGrier, said the dispatcher's behavior was disgusting, accusing her of being belittling, rude and disrespectful.

The Northern Illinois University student was visiting his father when he called 911 early Sunday morning saying there was some kind of emergency, noting that his son "freaked out" and was wielding a bat. When police arrived at the home after the third call from the teenager, it was Quintonio LeGrier himself who ended up shot by police. In their official statement, police said Quintonio LeGrier had been combative.

Quintonio LeGrier was shot a few minutes after his last 911 call, along with Jones, a downstairs neighbor. Police have called Jones' shooting an accident.

A city spokesperson says the 911 operator who hung-up on Quintonio LeGrier is facing discipline, but she's still on the job taking calls while the process plays out.

The calls were released by the Independent Police Review Authority, which is investigating the shooting. That's a dramatic change for an agency that previously released almost no information while its investigations dragged on for years.

Full statement from the Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC):

OEMC takes our role in public safety extremely seriously. We discovered these two calls - and the issues surrounding them, during our own internal review and immediately started an internal disciplinary process - turned them over to the Independent Police Review Authority, and we will continue to partner with them as they investigate this case.

The Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications receives 5 million 911 calls a year, of which 2.5 million are dispatched. Call takers are required to ask specific questions to determine the nature of the event, determine if such a request warrants and emergency response and dispatch proper resources. Call takers follow specific protocols and may only terminate a call as a last resort.

Disciplinary proceedings are underway for the call-taker who handled the call at 4:18 a.m. for not following proper protocol. Per the CBA, the call-taker will remain in service until the discipline process is complete.

Below is full text of Quintonio and Antonio LeGrier's 911 calls:

Q: "Can you please send the police?"

Dispatch: "To where?"

Q: "4710 West Erie Street."

Dis: "What's wrong?"

Q: "I have an emergency."

Dis: "I need to know what's wrong."

Q: "Someone is ruining my life."

Dis: "Who? Where are they now?"

Q: "There in the house."

Dis: "What's your name?

Q: "Q."

Dis: "Where are you going to be Q?"

Q: "Are you going to send the police?" *He mumbles what sounds like an obscenity after this*

Dis: "Are you at the house?"

*more obscenities*

Dis: "Hello?"

1:21 Q: "Are you going to send the police or not?"

Dis: "Are you going to answer my questions?"

Q: "How are you talking to?"

Dis: "I'm talking to you? If you can't answer the questions, how do you expect me to assist you?

Q: "I already told you I am at the house."

Dis: "No you didn't. You told me that person was at the house."

Dis: "Any weapons involved?"

Q: "Nah."

Dis" Where are you going to be?

*more obscenities*

2:30 Q: "Yeah I need an officer at 4710 West Erie Street."

Dis: "37 what?"

Q: "4710 West Erie Street."

Dis: "OK, what's wrong?"

Q: "I just need an officer over here, OK?"

Dis: "No, it don't work like that. What's your emergency?"

Q: "I need to talk to an officer."

Dis: "OK what's wrong."

Q: "I need to talk to an officer."

Dis: "You can talk to an officer over the phone. I can connect you with one if you would like."

Q: "Someone's ruining my life."

Dis: "Is the person there with you now?"

Q; "Yes."

Dis: "Are you in an apartment or a house?"

Q: "A house."

Dis: "And your name?

Q: "Q."

Dis: "What's your last name?"

Q: "Are you going to send an officer?"

Dis: 'Yeah when you answer the question."

Q: "There's an emergency, can you send an officer?"

Dis: "Yes, as soon as you answer the questions. What's your last name?"

Q: "THERE'S AN EMERGENCY."

Dis: "If you can't answer the question I am going to hang up."

Q: "I NEED THE POLICE."

Dis: "Terminate the call."

4:40 "My son has freaked out. I need an officer at 4710 West Erie. 4710 West Erie I need police assistance."

5:12 "He's got a baseball bat in his hand right now."

Dis: "How old is he?

Antonio: "19"

Dis: "Has he been drinking?"

Antonio: "No."

Dis: "What's your name sir?"

Antonio: "Antonio LeGrier"

Dis: "OK. Watch for the police."

@gatekeeper @Vishs

Last edited:
What's the point of sewing a 19 year old college students estate? What are you going to get out of that, a bong and a broken down used car, maybe an Iphone????

I don't see the big deal with the nutter getting shot. Whether they responded immediately or after the 3rd call, the guy was still violent and had plans to take a bat to the cops. Really don't grasp the controversy.

What's sickening is the irresponsible and pisspoor marksmanship of this officer. He should be sued and fired for that, if not face charges himself. What a piece of shit. Instead he's filing a lawsuit????

."Ever since the McDonald payoff, people are treating officer-involved confrontations like a lottery ticket and they're waiting to cash it in,"

I highly doubt they're viewing the negligent murder of their loved one as a lottery ticket. They're not lookin to get paid, they're lookin for some form of retribution, and good on em for it. Fuck people who are this inept at their jobs.

Chicago is such trash.

maybe he is setting up some sort of smokescreen by suing, He probably wont get anything unless he goes after the parents but I think there is another motive for him suing.

June 28, 2018

An Illinois jury on Wednesday found a Chicago cop acted "reasonably" in a 2015 police shooting that also left an innocent bystander dead and exacerbated already fraught relations for law enforcement in black neighborhoods in the nation’s third-largest city.

Jurors awarded $1.05 million in damages to the estate of Quintonio LeGrier, 19, following the eight-day civil trial. But that penalty was negated by Judge Rena Marie Van Tine because the jury also found that the officer, Robert Rialmo, was justified in firing at the the teen to prevent "imminent death or great bodily harm" to himself or his partner.

The LeGrier family's attorney, Basileios Foutris, asked the jury to award the family up to $25 million in damages.

"I don't believe that Officer Rialmo is a bad person necessarily," David Fitzsimmons, the jury foreman, told reporters following the verdict. "I think he just made a bad decision at the moment."

The December 2015 shooting deaths of LeGrier, a Northern Illinois University student, and his neighbor Bettie Jones, 55, came during a tense moment in a city that was already on edge.

In the 2015 incident, police acknowledged that Jones — who rented a basement apartment from LeGrier’s father — was accidentally killed by Rialmo, who had been dispatched to a domestic disturbance involving LeGrier. Both LeGrier, who was going through a mental health episode, and his father called 911 before officers arrived at the family’s West Side home.

Authorities said LeGrier was wielding an aluminum baseball bat and was combative when officers arrived, behavior that prompted Rialmo to fire his weapon.

Jones, who opened the door for police at the multi-unit dwelling for a responding officer, was mistakenly shot as she was returning to her apartment.

USA TODAY learned earlier this month that the city of Chicago had reached a $16 million settlement with the Jones family. But city attorneys and Rialmo have maintained that the shooting of LeGrier was justified and took the case to trial.

LeGrier’s legal team argued that there was significant distance between LeGrier and Rialmo when the officer opened fire, and there was no need for the officer to use deadly force.

Rialmo, who filed a countersuit against the LeGrier estate and hired his own attorney for the case instead of using the city’s counsel, testified that he was in imminent danger as the teen held the bat over his head and swung it after barreling down the apartment steps. The juror found that LeGrier intentionally caused emotional stress to Rialmo, but awarded no damages to the officer.

LeGrier was shot in the chest, back, right buttock, left arm, and grazed on his left side and right shoulder. Jones was struck in the chest once.

Antonio LeGrier called police and then called his downstairs tenant Jones and asked her if she would let officers into the building when they arrived. Jones agreed, but against the wishes of a friend who was with her in her apartment.

When police arrived, Jones pointed police upstairs to guide the officers to the right location. At that point, LeGrier was coming down the stairs and heading toward Jones, according to a medical examiner’s report about the incident.

"Jones motioned to step back into her apartment; at which time, police fired shots in an attempt to stop Quintonio," the report said.

The city’s Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA), which is tasked with investigating police shootings and incidents of alleged police misconduct, earlier this year ruled the shooting unjustified. Meanwhile, police Superintendent Eddie Johnson determined the shooting was warranted.

COPA found that shell casings at the crime scene show that Rialmo was farther away from LeGrier than the officer claimed and that the teen did not swing the bat at Rialmo.

Because of the split findings, another body, the Chicago Police Board, will decide whether to fire Rialmo.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...o-legrier-chicago-police-1-million/740460002/

Back