• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Snoods

Trusted Member

Damn, those must have been some gangster bedbugs. She must have been allergic.

Unbeknownst to her, Cindi Avila’s stay at in the luxury Royal Towers of the Bahamas’ Atlantis, Paradise Island resort came with a special added feature: hundreds of crawling, biting bedbugs that lived in her bed.

[...]

The bites and the hotel’s subsequent reaction to Avila’s calls for help are now the subject of a lawsuit filed last week in Florida state civil court that claims the iconic resort was negligent in adopting hygienic practices when cleaning Avila’s room. Avila is seeking damages in excess of $15,000 from Plantation-based Atlantis.

[...]

“In the days that followed, I have never experienced more pain,” Avila said. “I didn’t sleep for five days. I literally wanted to die.”

The pain subsided after three weeks but Avila is still scared of traveling, she said, and now inspects each room before staying in it and routinely asks hotel staff to change her linens

[...]

But Atlantis said in a statement that Avila is simply trying to swindle the hotel for more money.

“The resort offered to reimburse Ms. Avila for any medical bills resulting from her experience, which she declined,” Atlantis said. “Since that time, Ms. Avila has repeatedly, and through three different attorneys, attempted to extract a large financial settlement from the resort and threatened intimidation in the media if her financial demands were not met.”

[...]

But other travelers have previously alleged on several travel sites, including TripAdvisor and Yelp, that they’ve suffered itchy bites they believed to be from bedbugs while staying at Atlantis.

Seems like the hotel has been aware of their bed bug problem for a while, I'd be pretty upset too. Travel warning: Before you unpack your luggage, ALWAYS check under the mattress when you get to your room!

This comment Cindi made in the video cracked me up though "I thought, I don't even know if I can go on anymore." Girl, you got it covered without all the superfluous made for tv drama. Dial it down a notch.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article127490954.html

Oh my gawd! :hilarious: That's hilarious. If you really want to get grossed out, check out the show "Infested." You'll be walking around your house with kleenex boxes on your feet while covered in bubble wrap.

One lady had to wear plastic baggies around her feet because her bed bugs were so bad they would crawl up her legs when she was sitting at her dining room table. BWAH HA HA!:devil:

What? :shrug: Oh, that type of stuff bothers you? I wasn't aware! :angelic:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

One lady had to wear plastic baggies around her feet because her bed bugs were so bad they would crawl up her legs when she was sitting at her dining room table. BWAH HA HA!:devil:
Stop it. Just stop it right fucking now.

Avila is seeking damages in excess of $15,000 from Plantation-based Atlantis.
Idiots for not paying that paltry sum.
She should sue for 10 Times that.

Tiny little hitch hikers ... fucking gross.
I have never seen a real live bed bug ... (makes the sign of the cross ... prays this statement will be true forever) We had fleas once ... the place was totally infested and we didn't move in with pets so we became their primary food source for a few days. I wiped them out by using flea shampoo in our steam cleaner instead of regular carpet shampoo and the fuckers all died.

Idiots for not paying that paltry sum.
She should sue for 10 Times that.

You made me curious about the average bed bug settlement. Cases are evaluated by the number of bites you have (50 plus bites may indicate a prolonged infestation), how many people were bitten, was the hotel or owner aware of the infestation and failed to correct the issue, and what injuries you suffered. That includes physical and emotional injuries.

Seems like she has all of these bases covered, but I guess she's asking for the average settlement for one person being bitten.

I don't understand why Atlantis is being an asshole about it, it just makes them look bad. Who would want to stay somewhere you know doesn't take care of their bed bug problem and tries to shame the guest for complaining about it?

$40,000.00 settlement for a family of three staying at a California hotel.

$18,500.00 settlement for a couple staying at a North Carolina Hotel.

http://downtownlalaw.com/what-is-the-value-of-a-bed-bug-lawsuit/
https://www.bedbuglaw.com/category/resolved-cases/

Narrowly averted an infestation...

Trash picked an awesome 70's floor lamp when out on a walk in my neighborhood the other week...for some reason, thought to flip it over to look at the bottom when I got it back to my driveway.

Then Googled what dead bed bugs look like.

Holy shit.

Probably should have realized that the lamp was no good because it was piled on top of a bunch of mattresses.

Good gravy.

:eek: I never would have thought a LAMP could carry bed bugs. Good thing you checked, yikes. I've heard of people getting bed bugs from movie theaters and department stores.

@Buffettgirl I wanted to call your attention to this list of common places to pick up the little critters and carry them home. Welcome.
:hilarious:

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/travel-tips/articles/top-10-bedbug-infestation-spots

I'll sum it up for the lazy. THERE FUCKING EVERYWHERE! I grew up in a sea port and remember all the warnings and rumors about horrifying diseases and parasites one could unknowingly pick up at the movie theater downtown. But, no one ever mentioned bedbugs as a possiblity.

Back