• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
January 31, 2013

Young girls were hunted and turned into sex slaves. Ten victims would die before investigators captured the serial killer couple behind the crime spree. Charlene Williams served her time, and now CBS13 has learned she’s returned to the Sacramento area and is living among us.

Williams is now opening up about the murders after years of living a new life.

Williams, now in her 50s, is soft-spoken and focused on her future. Ask her about the past and she has a hard time saying her real name and Gerald Gallego’s name, the man who had her kidnap girls for his sexual fantasies.

Even after more than 30 years, the memories haven’t faded away and neither has the pain for Hal Sowers, who lost his only daughter.

“She always had a smile,” said Sowers of his daughter Mary Beth. “She’s with us everyday.”

Williams says she didn’t kill Mary Beth, but pleaded guilty to the kidnap and murder of Sowers’ only daughter.

Mary Beth wasn’t the only victim.

“I did not kill any of them,” said Williams of the 10 victims.

She says she never even wanted to be a part of the killings.

“No, for God’s sake no. No I never did. I wouldn’t be sitting here right now if I did,” she said.

Williams is sticking with the story she told on the stand three decades ago, claiming it was all Gallego, her boyfriend at the time.

“He is just one sick bastard, he was,” Williams said. “I would’ve done anything I could if I could’ve stopped him. I know I couldn’t have stopped him; I tried to stop him.”

Williams agreed to speak to CBS13 if her identity was hidden. For the last 15 years, she’s lived among us under a new name. She says she changed it to hide from Gallego and his family, fearing for the safety of her family.

“I put him on death row. Am I proud of that? Yes I am,” said Williams.

Gallego died of cancer awaiting his execution. Williams’ confession to the crimes and plea deal earned her a second chance at life, but while she was freed after 17 years behind bars, Williams says, her past keeps her prisoner.

“I see it everyday. I always see it; it never goes away. There isn’t one more than the other. They’re all horrible, horrible memories, every single one,” said Williams.

The couple would hunt for many of their victims at Sacramento-area malls. Williams testified in court she was the one who lured girls into their van where Gallego waited with a gun. The victims, half of them teens, were bound, repeatedly raped, murdered, and then dumped or buried.

Williams insists she never agreed to Gallego’s plans. Yet, the couple’s trail of terror, which began in 1978, continued for two years, in three different states, and claimed 10 victims as well as an unborn child. The crime spree was dubbed the “Sex Slave Murders.”

“You know, I tried; I tried to save some of their lives,” said Williams.

She says Gallego controlled her with fear, threatening to kill her family, raping and abusing her.

“I tried to get away. I tried, and people, especially women, will say, ‘well, if you want to get away you can always get away.’ It’s not that easy; it’s not that easy at all,” she said. “I don’t know (why Gallego didn’t kill me), because he sure tried.”

Many believe Gallego never killed Williams because she was his partner in crime.

“She was just as guilty as he was,” said Sowers.

In 1997, as part of her plea agreement, Williams was released.

Sowers never cared to know where Williams had disappeared.

“Didn’t want to know really,” he said.

All that mattered is Williams seemed to disappear, until now.

“I mean, it’s bad enough I have to deal with Mary Beth,” said Williams.

Williams never told investigators where she and Gallego dumped Mary Beth. Three weeks after her disappearance, Mary Beth’s body would be found in Placer County near Loomis.

The 21-year-old was bound, shot three times and still wearing the same dress she wore on her last night alive with her fiancé, Craig Miller, who as also shot three times.

Williams says while she can’t undo the past, she’s determined to prove she belongs among the very same people, who decades ago, feared they would be her next victim.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...living-in-area-speaks-after-years-of-silence/

Rhonda Scheffler and Kippi Vaught

Scheffler and Vaught, aged 17 and 16 respectively, were shopping at Sacramento's Country Club Plaza on September 10, 1978. Charlene picked them up and put them in the back of the couple's van.

Gerald repeatedly raped the two victims throughout the night in Baxter, California. The next day, the Gallegos drove to Sloughhouse, where Gerald got Rhonda and Kippi out of the van. He then made them walk out in the field to a ditch where he hit Kippi first with a tire iron then swung around and hit Rhonda. Finally, he shot each girl in the head with a 25-caliber pistol. As Gerald was walking back he saw one of the victims move (later revealed as Kippi Vaught) because the bullet had only grazed her skull. He returned and shot her three more times in the head, killing her.

Brenda Judd and Sandra Colley

Judd (age 14) and Colley (age 13) were lured into the Gallegos' van at the Washoe County Fair in Nevada on June 24, 1979 on the promise of making some money delivering leaflets. Charlene drove the van northeast out of Reno on I-80. At the back of the van, Gerald repeatedly raped the two young girls while Charlene watched in the rearview mirror. Charlene then parked their van in a desolate area known as Humboldt Sink.

In the next couple of hours, Gerald rested and watched Charlene force the girls to perform sexual acts on each other. Gerald then took a shovel from under the seat of their van and pulled Colley out of the vehicle, marching her toward a dry creek bed. He then stepped behind Colley and swung the shovel. Charlene would later recall the sound, describing it as "a loud splat like a flat rock hitting mud, and the girl sank to her knees and slowly toppled over on her face." Gerald then beat Judd to death and dug a deep hole, folding the naked bodies of the two girls into it and placing a rock over the grave. Their remains were not discovered until November 1999 by a tractor operator.

The teenagers were listed as runaways for four years until Charlene confessed to their murders during the 1982 trial.

Stacey Redican and Karen Chipman Twiggs

On April 24, 1980 the Gallegos kidnapped Redican and Twiggs from Sunrise Mall in Citrus Heights, a bedroom community north of Sacramento. As with their other victims, husband and wife sexually abused and killed them.

Other victims

• Linda Aguilar and unborn child

• Virginia Mochel
Craig Miller and Mary Elizabeth Sowers

In the early morning hours of November 2, 1980, Gerald saw a young couple, twenty-two-year-old Craig Miller, and his fiancée, twenty-one-year-old Mary Elizabeth Sowers, standing on the side of the street. In his most brazen attempt yet, Gerald got out of the car, walked right up to them, pulled out a .25 caliber Beretta, pointed it in the couples face, and ordered them into the car.

Unfortunately for Gerald, friends of the young couple saw them get into the vehicle and wrote down the license plate number. After driving to a secluded area, Gerald commanded Craig out of the car, as the young man turned to walk towards the front of the vehicle, Gerald aimed his pistol and shot the boy at point-blank range in the back of the head while his fiancée looked on in horror. Gerald then fired two more shots into Craig’s head, as he lay lifeless on the ground. Gerald got back into the vehicle and ordered Charlene to drive to their apartment. Once back at the apartment, Gerald took his new sex slave into the bedroom and raped her for hours on end. After he was satisfied, he ordered Charlene to drive to a rural area. Once there, Gerald ordered Mary out of the car. He then shot her three times at point blank range.

http://murderpedia.org/male.G/g/gallego-gerald-armond.htm
[doublepost=1510966830,1510964910][/doublepost]Rectal cancer could not have happened to better guy.

I remember these two maniacs, I was just out of high school, basically within his age preference, the thought of him and his woman was scary all the way over in Georgia.

Tho in my opinion she was almost as responsible as he was, tho I guess to get the location of the bodies, they had to make a deal with the devil, still don't make it right.

And now, here she is giving interviews, just like rubbing the noses of the families of their victims in the muck that sh'es spouting.

She should have stayed under her rock. I'm positive it's safer there.

Why is she even free ? Then now a 16 year old is asking the same but she only killed her perp idk ....
This one I feel should be behind bars or dead

Yeah sorry I call bullshit. She exploited the fact that victims would trust another female. I hope his family does find her.

Latest posts

Back