• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

DamagedGoods

Asmodeus - Destroyer of Men
Bold Member!
On April 2, 2013, it was a rainy day in piz... Ah, no, that's an advertisement. In early April roughly two years ago, Maria "Tonie" Farrell was leaving work in her Tim Horton's regalia, when she heard the cries of a woman being attacked behind a nearby convenience store. She immediately ran to the woman's defence as a man punched the victim and took off. A hit and run if you will. I'm sorry, that was really really cheap. I blame my father; he instilled a love of stupid jokes in me.

After a short time, Sgt. Russ Watson of the Ontario Provincial police showed up alone. Mrs. Farrell attempted to show the sergeant the direction that the perpetrator took, trying to be helpful as grannies are wont to do. In reaction Sgt. Watson did what any good officer would and told her to "shut the fuck up" before needlessly and brutally attacking her.

Because apparently grandmothers are terrifying and must be handled with extreme prejudice. (Well, some really are... I've seen photos, I've got the google.)

For his part, Sgt. Watson claims that she *gasp* poked at him! And maybe she was drunk and rowdy! Yeah! That's the ticket! Then when he went to perform his sacred duty of arresting someone for poking him she had the audacity to resist, what's a raging keeper of the peace to do?!

Are you down with OPP? I don't think Judge George Beatty is. At least not with this particular OPP officer. No, he went and shot down Watson's whole story. And insulted him, which is a nice touch I find. Judge Beatty told the court that, rather than this being a disorderly woman being subdued, this was a woman who only tried to help being attacked by someone "controlling" and "large and powerfully built". He told them how she wound up with a broken leg, a crushed knee, a lost tooth, as well as back and neck injuries. How she's been left crippled and unable to work, and unable to afford her rent. He pointed out how the officer made no attempt to explain her extreme injuries, and made no record of his punching her despite her obvious injuries and his obvious lack. It's not that she's not deadly, it's just that he's really Bruce Lee.

So, this woman goes to help another human being who's being attacked, and she winds up with worse injuries, inflicted on her by an officer of the law. Safe communities, indeed OPP.

And this guy hasn't been charged because? Oh... because the SIU found no reason to, despite the extent of Maria Farrell's incredible injuries and Watson's refusal to even turn over his notes from the encounter.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/16/judge-slams-opp-officer-acquits-good-samaritan

And the sad thing is, I can't use this because I can only find one source article. (Albeit repeated on many different sites.)

Last edited:
A little bit of power goes to some of their heads. What a wanker! Shouldn't be working with the public.

Yeah, and not only that. The cop should now be serving serious jail time for aggravated assault. The victim should take legal action.

Whenever cops can get away with doing this with impunity, and are above the law, then we are already half way down the road to a police state.

I'd sue the OPP and the city. Hit them in the pocket book, hit them in the media and maybe the douche bag cop will get fired and taken off the streets. These power hungry assholes always seem to pick on the more vulnerable citizens. Cowardly bullies.

He told them how she wound up with a broken leg, a crushed knee, a lost tooth, back and neck injuries.
That officer is an absolute disgrace to the good men and women who wear a uniform. His ass should sit in prison and have to work until the day he drops dead to pay for the woman's support.

QUOTE: Was unfamiliar with this character and had to use google before I knew which icon was most suitable. :)

Believe it or not this is one of my FAVORITE shows (The Andy Griffith Show). Yes it's hokey but I really do wish we could live in a time such as this show. Barney was allowed to carry only one bullet in his pocket because he was always accidentially shooting off his gun. He would arrest anyone for anything and argue that a jay walker is a harden criminal and needed to be dealt with, with the harshest treatment. Andy, town sheriff had to keep an eye on him because he was always causing trouble. I even watch a lot of TCM Turner Classic Movies that has early as 1900's to 20 years ago films. I drive my kids crazy with this old stuff. LOVE IT!
:popcorn::joyful::kiss:

I'd sue the OPP and the city. Hit them in the pocket book, hit them in the media and maybe the douche bag cop will get fired and taken off the streets. These power hungry assholes always seem to pick on the more vulnerable citizens. Cowardly bullies.

Unfortunately, he may likely have to be hired back later or be hired elsewhere. They don't get charged because prosecutors need the support of police, so they conveniently leave out evidence so the grand jury doesn't indict. Obviously, this needs to change.

Unfortunately, he may likely have to be hired back later or be hired elsewhere. They don't get charged because prosecutors need the support of police, so they conveniently leave out evidence so the grand jury doesn't indict. Obviously, this needs to change.
We actually have an independent civilian body that overlooks the police here in Ontario, when someone is injured or harmed by them, the SIU investigates and is generally the one that decides whether charges are laid.

I maybe should have included that, but it seemed to be getting really long without my semi-random facts about Ontario.

We actually have an independent civilian body that overlooks the police here in Ontario, when someone is injured or harmed by them, the SIU investigates and is generally the one that decides whether charges are laid.

I maybe should have included that, but it seemed to be getting really long without my semi-random facts about Ontario.

Oh, sorry, should've realized it was Canada. Sounds like it works much better up there than here in the States. There should definitely be accountability and impartiality.

Why in the world would this guy think it was ok to treat the woman the way he did? No matter where he is from, this is too many levels of wrong to count.

From 2015:
Agency was investigating whether Sgt. Russell Watson used excessive force against Orillia woman

No charges will be laid in the case of a grandmother who suffered catastrophic injuries in an altercation with a police officer, Ontario's Special Investigations Unit has determined.

Provincial Court Justice George Beatty found last December that Maria "Tonie" Farrell, 49, was acting as a "Good Samaritan" by coming to the aid of an injured woman when OPP Sgt. Russell Watson "karate kicked" and "sucker punched" her on April 2, 2013 as she reached out to see his badge number.

SIU Director Tony Loparco on Tuesday cleared Watson of any wrongdoing in the incident which left Farrell with injuries to her neck and back and a crushed knee. The former Tim Hortons employee, who also lost a tooth in the altercation, can no longer work and now hobbles with a cane.

She lives in daily pain and claims is terrified of police officers.
http://www.orilliapacket.com/2015/0...on-used-excessive-force-against-orillia-woman

Latest posts

Back