• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/grieving-...-daughter-160804236--abc-news-topstories.html

Carmen Johnson, 15, was a high school cheerleader who enjoyed life, got good grades and loved to be on the water.

It was a terrible accident on the water that took Carmen’s life on April 16, and her parents, Jimmy and Casey, are warning others about the potential dangers.

The Johnsons say Carmen, their youngest child, was electrocuted while swimming in the lake behind their home. Her parents told ABC News that the electrical currents came from rusty electrical work at the dock in their backyard.

It’s called electric shock drowning -- when a current, usually from a short circuit in the wiring of a dock, marina or boat, spreads through the water, and someone in the water is shocked and drowns.

Carmen's father, Jimmy Johnson, said he initially thought something was pulling Carmen down into the water.

“I was in a position where I could have saved her if it would have been anything but electrocution in the water,” her father said.

In fact, Jimmy and his son, Zach, both jumped into the lake to try and save Carmen. They were nearly killed themselves.

“It was instant. It just grabbed hold of me,” Jimmy Johnson said of the electric shock.

Zach said, “It felt like your arm or leg is asleep and it hurts to move, and you can’t move, but it’s your entire body. And you’re trying to tread water but can’t swim."

The two were saved when Casey Johnson ran and turned off the power switch. A friend who had been in the water with Carmen was also injured but she survived.

Just when you think it's safe to go back into the water, here's something else you need to think about.

There doesn't seem to be any charges or fines so I put it here in General News, if that changes we can move it, I suppose.

There will probably be some fines forthcoming. Any kind of electrical connection/equipment near water is supposed to be "Ground Fault" protected (like the GFCI receptacles in your bathroom/kitchen). It looks like they didn't have that protection in place.

That is frightening as hell.
... Just reading this freaks me out
I couldn't even imagine what this poor kid was feeling :( so tragic.

how common is this? :shifty: as a water, tanning outside kinda person ...:finger: this is ruining it. :meh:

It's probably only as common as there are electric lines near a body of water. If you are diving from dock with a light mounted on it or near it, it might be to your advantage to have it checked before diving in.

This site teaches me new, horrible things everyday; things that make me incredibly paranoid yet grateful for now knowing...thanks Dreamin.

Back