• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Podargus

Reality Bites
100 times stronger than Fentanyl.

svihpf.jpg

As a former drug addict, Byron Klingbyle knows all too well the dangers of addiction. In recovery for close to 20 years, the 59-year-old now counsels others dealing with substance abuse.

In his hometown of Windsor, Ont., the drugs of choice are opioids, such as oxycontin, morphine and fentanyl. But a new street drug, one so toxic it's primarily used to sedate elephants, has him worried.

"It's 10,000 times more powerful than morphine, 100 times stronger than fentanyl," Klingbyle said. "It's not for human consumption. It's for large animals."

He's referring to carfentanil, a synthetic opioid so deadly police say as little as 20 micrograms would be fatal to the average person, with one microgram being smaller than a grain of salt.

Carfentanil is more commonly used in zoos and by wildlife workers as a tranquilizer for elephants and other large animals. Parts of the U.S. have recently seen an alarming number of carfentanil overdoses. Ohio, for example, had 25 overdoses in just a three-day period in July.

'Superhuman drug'
In many cases of overdose, the carfentanil has been mixed into heroin, at times without the drug user's knowledge. Police in East Liverpool, Ohio, said they suspect carfentanill was involved in the case of a couple who were photographed overdosing in their car and whose photos were posted online by police as a way of attracting attention to the drug problems officers are dealing with.

"It wouldn't surprise me at all to know that we got more and more bionic opioids responsible for mortality on our streets," said Dr. Hakique Virani, medical director at Metro City Medical Clinic, an addiction treatment centre in Edmonton.

Police say carfentanil is likely manufactured in China and shipped to drug traffickers in Mexico. From there, it enters the U.S. and, eventually, Canada.

In June, Canadian border officials intercepted a package in Vancouver containing a kilogram of carfentanil. It was bound for Calgary.

"We're extremely concerned about this, and it really takes an international collaboration to stop the importation of this," said Calgary Police Service Staff Sgt. Martin Schiavetta.

Last week in Winnipeg, police seized about 1,500 blotter tabs that they believe contain carfentanil.

"Typically, when police seize something, it's not the first shipment that's tried to make its way across the border," Virani said.

He says opioid addiction is a public health emergency.

"To deal with this problem, we require extraordinary measures, because clearly, our ordinary measures aren't working."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/carfentanil-drugs-opioids-addiction-health-1.3769774

I saw an article earlier this week that this same drug has made its way into Florida now as well. It's so strong that normal anti-overdose measures aren't that effective.

I saw an article earlier this week that this same drug has made its way into Florida now as well. It's so strong that normal anti-overdose measures aren't that effective.
Healthcare providers still aren't familiar with the potency and availability of this drug. A normal dose of narcan will not counteract something like this effectively.
Multiple doses of narcan to counteract it's effects can send people into shock.
Very dangerous.
I'm glad I'm not an ER nurse in those areas. Absolutely terrifying.

This doesn't surprise me at all. For the last 2-3 years fentanyl deaths have skyrocketed in BC and Alta and they've had public service announcements about it because it's not pure medical grade fentanyl and it's being cut with some really dirty stuff.

What's even more crazy is that people are mixing herion, carfentanil and fentanyl together. Carfentanil is 4,000 x stronger than herion..why would you even want to mix that??

ETA: Just to show how tiny the drug is:

I feel your pain, oral pain killers make me sick too, just like that, so sick you're absolutely incapacitated for hours.

This doesn't surprise me at all. For the last 2-3 years fentanyl deaths have skyrocketed in BC and Alta and they've had public service announcements about it because it's not pure medical grade fentanyl and it's being cut with some really dirty stuff.

What's even more crazy is that people are mixing herion, carfentanil and fentanyl together. Carfentanil is 4,000 x stronger than herion..why would you even want to mix that??

ETA: Just to show how tiny the drug is:

It sounds like a lot of people have a death wish or want to just kill themselves.

It sounds like a lot of people have a death wish or want to just kill themselves.

Here in BFE, when people start dying from OD, all the addicts go pound the streets looking for the stuff that killed them.

Nothing makes for better marketing for a batch of H than a few dead junkies. Sad.

Here in BFE, when people start dying from OD, all the addicts go pound the streets looking for the stuff that killed them.

Nothing makes for better marketing for a batch of H than a few dead junkies. Sad.
When people start dying from ODs the junkies know it's the real deal, not baking soda.

--Al

But why tho?
Why?
W.H.Y?!?!!!!
God gave us marijuana and the poppy plant and a bunch of natural alternatives too a fucking Elephant tranquilizer. The damn horses can't get there drugs and now the uber beasts are being ripped off too?
Why go thru so much trouble to die in a puddle of blood and vomit?

Yeah that shit is here in Ohio.

These people who are shooting up behind the wheel of a car need to do that shit at home. If you want to put medication that is designed to sedate a 6 ton elephant in your veins, have at it. Just make sure your children are at a babysitters and your ass is at home.

This sounds preposterous, but it's true!

Back in the day (several few years ago) I remember a guy offering to lay me out a dose of some stuff that had crippled a guy we both knew just weeks before. Seriously. It was:

"Sure you don't want this?"
"Way sure, thanks."
"Ok, but this is... you know Nicky, right?"
"Nicky-in-a-wheelchair-Nicky?"
"Yeah."
"Yeah?"
"This shit's what put him in that chair!"
Like I was gonna be all, "Wow! I wanna be like Nick, why didn't ya say so!"
SMFH

(And being in "that chair" was the LEAST of Nicky's problems; he couldn't even speak for like a year afterward, and even then I don't think many people could understand him; it's sad as hell. That was a while back; Nicky's probably long dead by now.)

But that's the mindset, you got it! "Hey, this shit's killed a dozen people down in Florida!" "Cool, load me up!"
Almost makes ya wanna go, "Hell, if they're that stupid, the planet's better off without 'em."
Almost....

**Also: And Fentanyl is POTENT! I had -- either a 50 patch or two 25's -- on once, a friend and I had tried them. We were at the counter at a coffee shop, and I was reading about it (Fentanyl) on my phone. I read a thing about how heat made the patch give off more stuff, that people with heating pads and electric blankets should take heed. So (because I was ridiculously stupid) I held my full coffee cup up to my arm, over the patch(es).
I fell right off that stool. Not hugely surprising, that. But I didn't even try to break the fall, nor was I that alarmed afterward. Fell right on my (ass) back and back-of-my-head. My girlfriend asked, "What the hell?" and I said, "It just didn't matter." I have no idea, now, what that means. So... yeah. It was NOT a huge dose; normal in fact for many -- one step above the minimum.
Anyone caught with this stuff should be treated as if they have a lethal weapon and charged accordingly. Same thing with whoever's bringing Fentanyl into the picture. They're addicts, I know. But that still doesn't mean they should be killed outright, and enough is enough; it's not like they don't know it's killing people. Pisses me off.

Last edited:
Back