• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

DamagedGoods

Asmodeus - Destroyer of Men
Bold Member!
Meh, I have no words, except to say that Captain Schettino is a whiny coward of epic proportions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087126/Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-Facebook-anger-Italys-hated-man.html

Italy's most hated man: Facebook anger at skipper of doomed cruise liner who 'abandoned ship hours before passengers'
Francesco Schettino arrested on suspicion of multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship

- Restaurant boss's sister boasted on Facebook minutes before crash how ship would pass 'very close'
- Chairman of Costa Cruises blames captain for deviating from correct route and says he is 'very sorry' for tragedy
- Women and children were barged out of way by crewmen during 'Titanic-like' escape
- 35 Britons on board reported safe and well, more than 60 people injured, 29 still missing
- Reports Schettino was dining with passengers when the accident happened
- Refunds unlikely for customers who cancel over safety fears
[...]

Thousands have taken to the web to vent their fury at the so-called ‘Captain Coward’, who is now claimed to have ‘skimmed’ past the Tuscan isle of Giglio not just to salute a retired officer but also to impress his head waiter’s family on shore.
Many scorned his decision not to remain with his stricken ship.
The official death toll stands at six but is still expected to rise. Last night the number of those still unaccounted for rose to 29 – 25 passengers and four crew.
Schettino, who faces up to 12 years in jail for manslaughter, will face court today after his company chiefs accused him of an ‘unauthorised and unapproved’ decision to sail so close to the eastern side of Giglio.
[...]

After swiftly escaping from the listing liner, Schettino – the Concordia’s skipper for six years – was arrested along with first officer Ciro Ambrosio. The captain was spotted wrapped in a blanket on his way to the shore at around 11.30pm – more than four hours before the evacuation of the vessel was completed and breaking the maritime tradition of remaining with his ship.
Coastguards are said to have told him to ‘get back on board your vessel’ once they realised he was safe on the island but he failed to do so. One Italian report said he hailed a taxi and said to the driver: ‘Get me as far away from here as possible’.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/News+transcript+Coast+Guard+orders+Captain+Francesco+Schettino+back/6007749/story.html

PA: I understand that. Listen to me, there are people that are getting off using the rope ladder on the stern side, you go back there and you go up that ladder the opposite way, you go onboard the ship and you tell me how many people [are there] And what they need. You tell me if there are children, women or people that need assistance and you give me a number for each one of these categories is that clear? Look Schettino, you may have saved yourself from the sea but will put you through a lot of trouble it will be very bad for you! Get back on board for [expletive]'s sake!!!

Captain: Officer, please.

PA: There are no "pleases"! Get back on board! Please assure me that you are going back on board.

Captain: I am here on the rescue boat. I'm right here, I didn't go anywhere else, I'm here.
[...]

PA: My rescuer is on the stern side, go! There are already bodies, Schettino! Go!

Captain: Officer how many bodies are there?

PA: I don't know. I know about one… I've heard about one, but you must tell me! [expletive]!

Captain: Do you realize it's dark out here and we can't see anything?

PA: What do you want to do ? Do you want to go home? It's dark so you want to go home? Get on the stern of that ship climb the ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people are there and what they need. Right now!

They're calling him captain coward, he did try to save the money he cleaned out the safe before he left

And because it pissed me off even more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/costa-concordia-captain-dismayed-saddened-shipwreck-amp-loss-life-article-1.1007069

The captain of the Costa Concordia is “heartbrokenâ€￾ by accusations that he wrecked the luxury liner and fled in a lifeboat, his attorney said Monday as the number of people missing in the disaster jumped to 29.

Capt. Francesco Schettino is “dismayed, saddened by the loss of life and extremely disturbed by what happened,â€￾ lawyer Bruno Leporatti said after visiting him in prison.

However, he said Schettino is “comforted by the knowledge that he maintained the clarity of mind in the emergency to bring the ship to shallow waters, saving many lives.â€￾

Seriously? You're trying to play the fucking hero card here? Really? Well, I'm so happy for your finding solace for yourself in this, I'm sure the dead and their loved ones feel much better now. Cunt.

Lw3XSTw.jpg
5Aoo9lx.jpg
Five more bodies were pulled Tuesday out of the crippled cruise ship off Tuscany, and a shocking audio emerged in which the ship's captain was heard making excuses as the Italian coast guard repeatedly ordered him to return and oversee the ship's evacuation.

Prosecutors have accused Capt. Francesco Schettino of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his ship before all passengers were evacuated during the grounding of the Costa Concordia cruise ship Friday night.

The death toll nearly doubled to 11 on Tuesday when divers located five more bodies, all of them adults wearing life jackets, in the rear of the ship near an emergency evacuation point, according to Italian Coast Guard Cmdr. Cosimo Nicastro. He said they were thought to have been passengers.
[...]

The Costa Concordia was carrying more than 4,200 people when it hit a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio when Schettino made an unauthorized deviation from the cruise ship's programmed course, apparently as a favor to his chief waiter, who hailed from the island.

Schettino has insisted that he stayed aboard until the ship was evacuated. However, a recording of his conversation with Italian Coast Guard Capt. Gregorio De Falco that emerged Tuesday indicates he fled before all passengers were off - and then resisted De Falco's repeated orders to return.

"You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear?" De Falco shouted in the audio tape.

Schettino resisted, saying the ship was tipping and that it was dark. At the time, he was in a lifeboat and said he was coordinating the rescue from there.

De Falco shouted back: "And so what? You want to go home, Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what their needs are. Now!"

"You go aboard. It is an order. Don't make any more excuses. You have declared 'Abandon ship,' now I am in charge," De Falco shouted.

Schettino was finally heard agreeing to reboard on the tape. But the coast guard has said he never went back, and had police arrest him on land.
[...]

Earlier Tuesday, Italian naval divers exploded holes in the hull of the grounded cruise ship, trying to speed up the search for the missing while seas were still calm. Navy spokesman Alessandro Busonero told Sky TV 24 the holes would help divers enter the wreck more easily.

"We are rushing against time," he said.

The divers set four microcharges above and below the surface of the water, Busonero said. Television footage showed one hole above the waterline less than two meters (6 feet) in diameter.

"The hope is that the ship is empty and that the people are somewhere else, or if they are inside that they found a safe place to await rescue," Coast Guard spokesman Filippo Marini told Sky TV 24.

Mediterranean waters in the area were relatively calm Tuesday with waves of just 12 inches (30 centimeters) but they were expected to reach nearly 6 feet (1.8 meters) Wednesday, according to meteorological forecasts.
[...]
http://www.woai.com/news/local/stor...ed-cruise-captain/IjmIAen4cUu8D5PKc4kjGw.cspx

I also read that Schettino had called the former admiral (referred to below) who lived on the island to say he was going to sail by as a salute. It was reported that the former was actually the person who alerted authorities on land while Schettino was still being evasive.

'Pre-planned' cruise stunt flagged on Facebook

The captain of a luxury cruise liner that capsized off Italy's coast may have steered the ship too close to shore so that its head waiter could salute his family in a pre-planned stunt that was posted on Facebook.

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reports that just minutes before the Costa Concordia struck rocks and began taking on water, the head waiter's sister updated her Facebook status to say: "In a short period of time the Concordia ship will pass very close. A big greeting to my brother who finally gets to have a holiday on landing in Savona.

Captain Francesco Schettino, 52, reportedly invited the head waiter, Antonello Tievoli, on to the bridge as he steered the vessel towards the coast of Giglio on Friday night.

"Come and see, Antonello, we're right in front of Giglio," the captain told Mr Tievoli shortly before the crash, according to the newspaper.

'A greeting to my brother' ... A screen grab of Mr Tievoli's Facebook page, published on the Telegraph website.

It also quoted witnesses who claimed the waiter had warned Captain Schettino just before the accident, saying: "Careful, we are extremely close to the shore."

Captain Schettino may have performed the sail-past also as a salute to an old colleague, a former admiral from the cruise line, who was not even on Giglio on Friday night.

Claims have emerged that a similarly close "sail-past" last year prompted a mayor to send a congratulatory email to the captain for helping entertain the island's tourists.

When the head waiter eventually reached land after evacuating the ship, he reportedly told friends and relatives on Giglio that he would "never have imagined that I'd end up disembarking on my own island like this".

The Corriere della Sera said Mr Tievoli was "tormented by a sense of guilt", even though he did not request the sail-past.

source -
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...stunt-flagged-on-facebook-20120117-1q3n7.html

I also read that Schettino had called the former admiral (referred to below) who lived on the island to say he was going to sail by as a salute. It was reported that the former was actually the person who alerted authorities on land while Schettino was still being evasive.

I read quite a few articles on this one, so I'm not sure which one I read it in, or I'd get my source, but one of them reported that the island received SOS calls from passengers on board calling from cell phones, but none from the ship itself. They told passengers that the ship was having electrical problems that had been corrected.

I'm betting that despite Schettino's attempts to make it sound like he was the reason there were so few casualties, it was actually due to the former admiral alerting authorities.

I'm betting that despite Schettino's attempts to make it sound like he was the reason there were so few casualties, it was actually due to the former admiral alerting authorities.

you may be right, dg. here is the reference to the ex-captain mario palumbo, but the original paper reporting it is in italian, so it is second hand info.

but i can also imagine about 12 seconds after they hit the rock, some of the passengers with cell phones calling in. the one thing we do know is that the captain wasn't doing any calling...

Corriere della Sera also elaborated on its earlier article that Schettino’s “stuntâ€￾ had caused the accident. The newspaper described a former Costa cruise ship captain who lived on the island of Giglio as trying to reach Schettino because the ship was too close to shore.

Schettino, the newspaper reported, had called his former captain, Mario Palumbo, to say the ship’s close sailpast the island would be in honour of Palumbo as well as for a crew member who lived there.

It was Palumbo, the newspaper said, who raised the alarm even as Schettino reported “problems.â€￾

source -
http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/w...e-bodies-found-on-cruise-ship-costa-concordia

you may be right, dg. here is the reference to the ex-captain mario palumbo, but the original paper reporting it is in italian, so it is second hand info.

but i can also imagine about 12 seconds after they hit the rock, some of the passengers with cell phones calling in. the one thing we do know is that the captain wasn't doing any calling...

I found it!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/stricken-italian-liner-shifts-29-people-missing-045422072.html

Most of the passengers and crew survived despite hours of chaos and confusion after the collision. The alarm was raised not by an SOS from the ship but mobile phone calls from passengers on board to Italian police on the mainland.

I swear it's like Schettino was acting out a play called, "What NOT to do as Captain When Your Ship Is Sinking."

I'd also like to note that I currently have a huge crush on Coast Guard Captain Gregorio De Falco.

Some more photos from the first article:

28jfki1.jpg

j9rafm.jpg

I've looked through the videos I've found, but most of them give very little detail.

all ye haters be silenced! ya see... he tripped and fell into the lifeboat...

Report: Captain claims he "tripped" into lifeboat

(CBS/AP) The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat.

Jailed since the accident, Capt. Francesco Schettino appeared Tuesday before a judge in Grosseto, where he was questioned for three hours.

Several English-language newspapers have reported that, according to La Repubblica, Schettino testified that "the passengers were pouring on to the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault."

"I didn't even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat."

"Suspended there, I was unable to lower the boat into the sea, because the space was blocked by other boats in the water."

The judge ordered him held under house arrest and Italian media reported he returned to his home near Naples. Federal prosecutors are planning to challenge that decision.

source -
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

Gregorio-de-Falco-command-007.jpg

I know he doesn't want to be known as a hero...but heaven help all those people if men like De Falco had not been around that night!

The coastguard official who has become an overnight star in Italy after lambasting a cruise liner captain for abandoning his grounded ship is refusing to take on the mantle of national hero, claiming he just did his job.

"After the capsizing he told us 'I did what any coastguard would have done,'" Gori said

But he revealed to Italian newspaper La Repubblica that he cried after learning that passengers had drowned when they attempted to swim ashore from the stranded Costa Concordia. "I sometimes cry and I don't think that is a weakness," he said. "Humanity is not a weakness."

DG, you have the right idea, this man is SMEXY in all he does!

Attachments

• Gregorio-de-Falco-command-007.jpg
    Gregorio-de-Falco-command-007.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
It took me a hot minute to figure out wtf I was looking at in the image of that rock wedged in the ship's bottom. Holy wow. Does the captain have to die with the ship or ?

So it is ok for soldiers to piss on dead men, and Captains of ships are jumping off when they sink. Is there no honor at all any more?

It took me a hot minute to figure out wtf I was looking at in the image of that rock wedged in the ship's bottom. Holy wow. Does the captain have to die with the ship or ?

They don't have to go down with the ship but as Captain it is their responsibility to make sure every person makes it off the boat before they do.

So it is ok for soldiers to piss on dead men, and Captains of ships are jumping off when they sink. Is there no honor at all any more?

Sometimes I wonder, but the existence of De Falco gives me hope!

The theme song from the film Titanic is said to have been playing in one of Costa Concordia's restaurants as the cruise ship began to list.

Yannic Sgaga and his brother Kevin told Swiss paper La Tribune de Geneve Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On from the hit 1997 film was playing when the accident happened off the Tuscan coast on Friday.

"Images from the film Titanic are more realistic than one might imagine. They kept coming into my head," Yannic Sgaga said.

The claim is one of several comparisons to the 1912 Titanic disaster - and the film - made by people aboard the Costa Concordia, which hit rocks near the Italian island of Giglo on Saturday.

It has also been revealed one of the survivors aboard the cruise ship is the grand-daughter of a woman who survived the Titanic disaster.

Valentina Capuano, 30, had a grandmother and great uncle aboard the Titanic, which sunk in its 1912 maiden voyage. Her great-uncle Giovanni, a waiter aboard the cruise liner, died.
[...]

Fights over lifejackets and the desperation of people leaping off the side of the ship into the sea has also been compared to the ill-fated Titanic voyage.

Other passengers have compared the delay in deploying lifeboats on the Concordia, meaning the vessel was tilted too far to use them, to the lack of lifeboats aboard the Titanic.

The Titanic had lifeboats for 1,178 passengers, despite 2,223 on board for her maiden voyage. 1517 people died in the disaster.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10779726

This was sent to me at work today. Big topic at work. This article describes differences from then and now. And brings to light how inexperienced cruise line crews are. Scary. I'll just post some excerpts:'

Crunch should have stayed to the end. That is what Commodore (Edward J.) Smith did on the Titanic. Smith died, and I think “just as well that he didâ€￾ because he would have been disgraced for life as the collision was completely his fault in every sense. I recall as well the captain of the Andrea Doria (Piero Calamai, an Italian) in 1956. He lived, but he was the last one off his ship as it sank. That is the way of the captain.

This captain should have stayed and helped save passengers. When a ship lists like that and goes out of vertical, the doorways and other interior structures are twisted. This is well known and it will trap people in their cabins. So his duty ultimately would have included searching for trapped survivors himself. But he must also maintain the discipline of the bridge, and send assessment parties out. His main job is to stay at his command post and direct all this activity. There would have been a better lifeboat evacuation if the captain had been at his post and in command. We would not have seen such hysterical images of people thrown into panic and having to pilot their own lifeboats. The captain did not even announce “Abandon ship!â€￾ – because he was not there! Just appalling.
This type of crew is far less adept than the seamen who cleared the Andrea Doria. Those sailors would know far more about what to do than less-experienced seamen who have joined up recently and don’t yet know port from starboard. Same for the Titanic – they were merchant marines and seamen and they were familiar with ships and lifeboats. But of course that era is long gone, the age of the stiff upper lip and “the band playing on.â€￾

You cannot fault the people for panicking. None of us knows how we would react in such a moment of bedlam. And because there are not many true sailors and seamen on board these ships nowadays, the crew members were trying to get away too.

It is a terrible black eye, of course, for the Costa line and for Carnival, which owns Costa. Carnival controls the destiny of more than 100 cruise ships. In a curious way had it sunk at sea it would be less of a P.R. problem – the ship on its side is an iconic image now.

Also, this is a rock-bottom performance on fail-safes for the first giant cruise liner of our times to capsize like this. It is a half-billion-dollar ship. Safety is supposed to be the first concern in this industry. The immensity of all this is undeniable.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/18/the_captain_who_wouldnt_go_down_with_the_ship/singleton/

65K7XVn.jpg
For many Italians one phrase uttered in exasperation captured everything that went wrong and what little that went right when the Costa Concordia luxury liner keeled over off the Italian coast.
[...]

“Get back on board for —-’s sake!â€￾ yelled Coast Guard Captain Gregorio DeFalco.

That quote — “Vada a bordo, cazzoâ€￾ in Italian — is now emblazoned on T-shirts, turned into a twitter hashtag, and made into numerous facebook groups, the largest of which has over 21,000 likes and features photo shopped pictures in which Schettino is made to look like a pirate. The group also features photos of Schettino fleeing the wreckage in various vehicles ranging from kayak to a Jet Ski.

If Schettino is being viewed as the villain in this story, DeFalco is emerging as the hero. That phrase has come to symbolize Schettino’s perceived incompetence and cowardice as well as DeFalco’s sense of duty and courage.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...shion-statement-get-back-on-board-for-s-sake/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tain-Francesco-Schettino-cruise-ship-hit.html

A mystery woman was on the bridge alongside cowardly captain Francesco Schettino when his ship ran aground off an Italian island on Friday night, it emerged today.

The blonde woman is a 25-year-old Moldovan crew member who was not properly identified by investigators as she reportedly did not appear on any official manifest for the Costa Concordia.

She is passenger rep Domnica Cemortan, possibly hired without a proper contract. Reports speculated she may have been on the bridge because Schettino was trying to impress her. (Yeah, that went well.)

293hzf9.jpg

She is swiftly emerging as a key witness to the chain of events up until the liner struck an underwater reef just off the island of Giglio.

Witnesses have said that she appeared to know Schettino.

But a statement from Costa Cruises later confirmed Ms Cemortan was an authorised passenger.

It said: 'Costa Cruises would like to clarify that the law as it stands, safety regulations and the control systems applied meticulously by the company do not permit the embarkation of unregistered passengers.

'Based on the pictures broadcast by the media, the woman stated as being in the company of Captain Schettino on the evening of January 13th was certainly embarked on January 13th in Civitavecchia and duly registered.

'The company is ready to provide the authorities, when requested, with the identity of the person and the number of the ticket purchased.'

Investigators want to find out where she was at the moment the Concordia hit the rocks.
[...]

It is believed that Miss Cemortan, from Chisnau, Moldova, was working as a passenger rep for Costa Cruises and gave a brief interview to the media defending Schettino, adding that his actions had helped save the lives of holidaymakers and crew.

She has also said in an interview on Moldovan TV that she did have dinner with the captain, but that she went to the bridge after the impact to give instructions to Russian speaking passengers.
[...]

Searching has resumed on the stricken vessel with divers focusing primarily on the stern by the deck four restaurant muster station, where the majority of the 21 people still listed as missing were thought to be.

The area is where seven of the bodies recovered so far have been found.
[...]

Diving teams will use explosive charges to get into the superstructure of the Concordia's hull so that they can reach areas of the liner more quickly as there are fears the ship could topple over the rock ledge on which it is resting.

Searches have been called off twice after movement was detected - if the Concordia does slip it will plunge almost 100m to the bottom of the Mediterranean. They were given up to 24 hours to complete their search this morning as predictions of rough seas were made for later today.
[...]

It comes after a member of the crew on board the cruise liner told the Italian coastguard the vessel had only suffered a power outage and there was no emergency, according to a new recording.

News channel Sky TG 24, which broadcast the tape, said it was the first radio conversation between the coastguard and the ship after it hit a rock off Tuscany's coast on Friday night.

The conversation began at 21:12GMT - around 30 minutes after the accident.

By then, many passengers had called relatives on their cell phones asking them to alert the police, who in turn told the coastguard to check on the state of the ship.
[...]

The coastguard asks: 'What kind of a problem? Is it just something with the generator? The police ... have received a phone call from the relatives of a sailor who said that during the dinner everything was falling on his head.'

He says some passengers were already wearing life jackets.

The crew member simply repeats that there has been a blackout. 'We are checking the conditions on boar,' he says, promising to keep the coastguard informed.
[...]

By the end of the week the salvage operation is expected to begin on the 2,200 tonnes of heavy-duty diesel in the Concordia's tanks which could cause an environmental disaster if it leaks.

Once the go-ahead is given for the pumping to begin - and a huge salvage barge is already at the dock in Giglio - it will take as long as a month to remove all the fuel.

15eek94.jpg

A satellite image shows the stricken cruise liner

What else can one expect? This fellow is Italian. These people fought, and I am using the word fought rather loosely, on both sides in the Second World War.

Back