• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
So they get to take Jahi out of the hospital to where...? I'm pretty sure they won't get to take anything with her except for the bits that would have been trashed anyway. This means that she can leave whenever, now the places that have been saying they'll take her have to put up or shut up. They can't say they'll be there when their facility is finished or when they feel like it. They need to come NOW! and I think that is going to be the real problem, I'm guessing none of these other facilities ever thought it was going to go this far, they figured that the judge would shut it down before now, and now they've got to do something. They've got Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday, pretty sure it's not going to happen.

Grillo on Friday rejected the family's move to have the hospital insert the tubes, noting the girl could be moved with the ventilator and intravenous fluid lines she has now. He also refused to compel the hospital to permit an outside doctor perform the procedures on its premises.
http://news.yahoo.com/jahi-mcmath-39-mom-clear-her-hospital-205936510.html

I don't understand what a ventilator is. About how much does it cost? I think the hospital has been expecting to foot the bill for this since Dec. 9. Enough is enough, already.

Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo said Jahi McMath can be transferred under a deal with Children's Hospital Oakland that will hold Nailah Winkfield accountable for developments that could include Jahi going into cardiac arrest.

Sounds to me the mom will be responsible not only for the costs, but any criminal actions once she takes the body out of the hospital. Possible charges were discussed earlier in the thread.

So they get to take Jahi out of the hospital to where...? I'm pretty sure they won't get to take anything with her except for the bits that would have been trashed anyway. This means that she can leave whenever, now the places that have been saying they'll take her have to put up or shut up. They can't say they'll be there when their facility is finished or when they feel like it. They need to come NOW! and I think that is going to be the real problem, I'm guessing none of these other facilities ever thought it was going to go this far, they figured that the judge would shut it down before now, and now they've got to do something. They've got Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday, pretty sure it's not going to happen.

I don't think there ever was any facility or doctors. It'll be just the mom standing at the curb with her daughter on a gurney.

http://news.yahoo.com/jahi-mcmath-39-mom-clear-her-hospital-205936510.html

I don't understand what a ventilator is. About how much does it cost? I think the hospital has been expecting to foot the bill for this since Dec. 9. Enough is enough, already.

Sounds to me the mom will be responsible not only for the costs, but any criminal actions once she takes the body out of the hospital. Possible charges were discussed earlier in the thread.
A ventilator is an extremely specialized piece of medical equipment, with the state-of-the-art models used in the ICUs of hospitals costing in the tens of thousands of dollars ($40k+ to purchase an individual unit is not uncommon; hospitals get discounts for buying in quantity) and requiring, at the very least, a respiratory therapist on call. It forces a measured amount of air into the lungs, which is really the only thing keeping Jahi's heart beating. The hospital is certainly not going to let this family circus waltz out of the ICU with their incredibly expensive equipment that can actually save lives when used properly.

Last edited:
Why is the court NOT considering the child? Do they think she wants to be held by a dead body for someone Else's delusions? Criminal

I'm guessing none of these other facilities ever thought it was going to go this far, they figured that the judge would shut it down before now,

Agreed. That and the fact that it isn't legal for the family to move the body the way they plan, though they're not likely to face any charges now that two judges have signed off on it.

I can almost guarantee there won't be any charges now that both judges (state and federal) have ILLEGALLY sanctioned the move.

The Coroner issued the death certificate stating the date of death as December 12 and still her family is fighting this.

I admitted earlier that I would struggle immensely with the decision to discontinue support for my child because with everything going the child would still seem "alive", warm with movement from the vent. But I think even I would get the picture once the Coroner gave me the goddamned death certificate!

I'm guessing these facilities (or whatever they are called) figured they'd tell this family that they take Jahi, get some good free publicity and in the end they'd not have to do anything because for sure the courts are going to shut this down before long. Because what can the facility in New York do for them if they're not even half finished with their building, only just got the windows in? If this continues and the family gets Jahi out of the Children's Hospital, they'll not find a place to take her, all of sudden no one will have the proper equipment. If they can't take the ventilator with Jahi, they'll definitely have a dead body on their hands when they get her out in the whatever they'll be transporting her in. I know I"m rambling but this is just more than my mind can comprehend.

Grandmother on Jane Valez Mitchell

ETA The grandmother actually states in this video that she tried to suction blood out of Jahi's throat. Also, she told her daughter to go into the ICU and see what was happening. Then she went into the ICU herself.

TeeJay, where are you?

Last edited:
I'm going to pray her mom gets it in her head that the kid is gone before she finds herself outside Children's with a corpse on a vent.

Christopher Dolan tells The Associated Press that 13-year-old Jahi McMath left the hospital in a private ambulance shortly before 8 p.m. Sunday.

Dolan says she was taken while attached to a ventilator but without a feeding tube. Her destination was not immediately disclosed.

David Durand, the hospital's Chief of Pediatrics, says the girl was released to the coroner. Durand said in an email the coroner then released her into the custody of her mother, Nailah Winkfield, as per court order.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ital_n_4547177.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Where the fuck is the mom taking her daughter's body???
Good grief...............
She's probably going to enshrine it in Jahi's old bedroom and pretend she's still alive, even long after the ventilator can no longer keep her "alive".

Also, I'm betting the hospital sent her to the private ambulance on a transport ventilator, a much less expensive and sophisticated piece of equipment that's not designed for long-term use. I wonder if mama knows that she's screwed herself all over again, and that it won't be long now until all she has is a rotting corpse in her home. Poor Jahi deserves so much better.

Her mom is so crazy that I wouldn't put it past her to read up on the web and try to insert some kind of makeshift feeding tube herself, although it's more likely she'll start with attempts to spoon-feed the corpse.

says the girl was released to the coroner. Durand said in an email the coroner then released her into the custody of her mother, Nailah Winkfield, as per court order.
How can these people not see that she is a corpse now? When your child is released to you by the Coroner said child is dead, gone, Coroners do NOT deal in living bodies.

My heart aches for this mother who does not realize that her daughter has passed on. I hope they are able to bring themselves to see the truth after this charade and are able to lay her to rest. :(

To be blunt, it's only a matter of time before her skin starts slipping and she starts to decompose and smell bad. That is probably when mom will start to see that Jahi is gone.

The doctor put my tonsils and adenoids in a jar and said I could take them home. I said, "Yucky, no." I wonder now if they were in a preservative or they would have turned to mush eventually. Yucky, yucky.

Jahi McMath arrived at an undisclosed care facility on Monday morning, but there remains much doubt about the girl's long-term prognosis after her removal from Children's Hospital Oakland on Sunday night, the family's attorney said Monday morning.

"Jahi is at the facility," Christopher Dolan said in a telephone interview. He wouldn't disclose where Jahi was sent but did say the facility had stepped up to take the girl and the location not necessarily outside the state of California.

He also said the girl's body had "deteriorated so badly" during her treatment at the hospital that the long-term prognosis for survival is not an optimistic one.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "Right now, we don't know if she's going to make it."
[...]

Dolan said procedures deemed necessary for a facility to take Jahi were not yet performed, including feeding and tracheotomy tubes, because other physical issues have arisen in the aftermath of her care at the hospital. He would not disclose what those issues were but said Jahi has been examined by independent doctors since her release.

"What I can tell you is that those examinations show that her medical condition, separate from the brain issue, is not good," Dolan said.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_24853880/jahi-mcmath-brain-dead-girl-moved-undisclosed-care

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "Right now, we don't know if she's going to make it."

Oh yes, we do know: She didn't make it.

This was tragic in the extreme to start with, but it is turning into a horrible farce. :(

He also said the girl's body had "deteriorated so badly" during her treatment at the hospital that the long-term prognosis for survival is not an optimistic one.

Really? A dead body has deteriorated in a month?? You don't say!! And stop messing with words. She wasn't being TREATED at the hospital. Hospitals treat living people, not a dead body.

A FFS - she's not going to make it?? What freaking smart place you get schooled at there Mr. Lawyer?? She's not going to make it because she's already DEAD. And has been for nearly a month!! Quit playing with words and acting like she's a living being!!

Gah - I get it - the family is sad and not dealing with this well! Hell, I'd have a hard time letting go of one of my own too!! But at what point will the actually get it? She's got a death certificate. She was released by a coroner. She hasn't been fed. Her body wasn't even on life support!!

I think that they keep twisting their words up (the family) to keep a live, human factor going for all the bleeding hearts out there that actually think that this little girl is going to magically wake up. From being dead. They are trying to personalize her and it just keeps the ball rolling and rolling and rolling.

But I tell ya - the moment that Jahi actually 'dies' in the eyes of her family - the lawsuits are going to start rolling in again, making it look like she'd have survived if the hospital treated her better. Umh. Yeah.

And I hope that one day this lawyer realizes that he's really off his rocker taking a case like this. Who is going to actually take him seriously after this stunt??

Where the fuck is the mom taking her daughter's body???
Good grief...............

More importantly, where the fuck is she taking the ventilator? What happens when a child dies due to one less ventilator being immediately available?

Also, I'm betting the hospital sent her to the private ambulance on a transport ventilator, a much less expensive and sophisticated piece of equipment that's not designed for long-term use. I wonder if mama knows that she's screwed herself all over again, and that it won't be long now until all she has is a rotting corpse in her home. Poor Jahi deserves so much better.

We can only hope!

There aren't enough hands aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise to facepalm this one.

Check out Mom's GoFundMe page:
http://www.gofundme.com/Jahi-Mcmath

People are continuing to donate every few minutes! :banghead:

two-thing-are-infinite-demotivational-poster-1255008615.jpg

UPDATE:
Girl declared brain dead moved from hospital
Posted 19 minutes ago.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The 13-year-old California girl who was declared brain dead after a surgery is now in a facility where her family can take care of her, a place her uncle says that believes as much they do that she's alive.

A critical care team took Jahi McMath while she was attached to a ventilator but without a feeding tube on Sunday night from Children's Hospital Oakland, after a weekslong battle with the hospital over her care.

Her family wouldn't disclose where she had been taken. Her uncle, Omari Seeley, said Monday that she traveled by ground and that there were no complications in the transfer, suggesting Jahi may be in California.

The new facility has "been very welcoming with open arms. They have beliefs just like ours," he said. "They believe as we do."

While the move ends what had been a very public and tense fight with the hospital, it also brings on new challenge: caring for her.

Jahi went into cardiac arrest while recovering from surgery to fix severe sleep apnea, a condition where the sufferer's breath stops or becomes labored while sleeping. To help her, surgeons removed her tonsils and other parts of her nose and throat.

Three doctors have declared Jahi brain dead based on exams and tests showing no blood flow or electrical activity in either her cerebrum or the brain stem that controls breathing.

This is different from being in a coma when there is brain activity.

Multiple outside doctors and bioethicists observing the case have said a patient in that condition meets the legal criteria for death and has no chance of recovering.

The hospital had wanted to remove Jahi from the ventilator that is keeping her heart pumping, arguing in court that Jahi's brain death means she is legally dead.

Her mother, Nailah Winkfield, refusing to believe her daughter is dead as long as her heart is beating, had gone to court to stop the machine from being disconnected.

She has wanted to transfer Jahi to another facility and had hoped to force the hospital either to insert the tubes or to allow an outside doctor to do so.

The hospital refused to fit her with a feeding tube or a breathing tube that would help stabilize her during a move. Hospital officials say it was unethical to perform medical procedures on a dead person.

When the hospital refused to do the procedures and after weeks of court battles, the two sides reached an agreement, provided that Winkfield would be held responsible if her daughter went into cardiac arrest.

The hospital released Jahi to the coroner, who then released her into the custody of Winkfield, as per court order.

The family's lawyer, Christopher Dolan, said Jahi's condition suffered because of poor nutrition during her hospital stay. "We are very relieved she got safely to where she needed to be," he said.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "You would be too, if you hadn't had nutrition in 26 days and were a sick little girl to begin with."

Dolan asked for privacy for the caregivers.

http://news.yahoo.com/girl-declared-brain-dead-moved-hospital-084442930.html

Gods, I miss the good old days where a doctor would simply slap a hysterical, delusional woman, grab her by the shoulders, tell her sternly that her child is dead, and then sedate the shit out of her to calm her down so that her husband can take her home and put her to bed while he goes to the undertaker's to make funeral arrangements.

Somebody should have slapped "Nailah" weeks ago...

I saw that lawyer on the TV news days ago complaining that the only nutrient she was receiving is sugar water. I suppose he was referring to the standard IV solution they put you on before surgery. What a circus!

About the ventilator, I read she was transferred to another gurney and portable ventilator (not Children's Hospital's property) before they put her in the ambulance.

When the hospital refused to do the procedures and after weeks of court battles, the two sides reached an agreement, provided that Winkfield would be held responsible if her daughter went into cardiac arrest.

I wonder what, exactly, they mean by that?

Back