• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Dr. Jessica Zitter, a Bay Area-based physician practicing critical and palliative care, said the family might not find a physician anywhere to do the procedures it seeks.

"Most hospitals would not treat a brain-dead patient; most private doctors would not treat a brain-dead patient," Zitter said.

A health care ethics expert said the hospital is following state law, which equates brain death with end of life.

"It's a pretty rare situation," said Ryan Holmes, a bioethicist with the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University. He said he has never heard of a patient declared brain-dead transferred to a long-term care facility.

"In most cases, while it's a devastating diagnosis, people understand there's not anything that can be done when they determine the patient's brain is not functioning.
[...]

A call to the Coroner's Office on Friday was not immediately returned, but Dolan said that office had greenlighted a transfer if a facility would accept her.

Tracheotomies and the insertion of gastric tubes are procedures done largely to ease the task of providers, Holmes said, and are common for patients discharged to long-term facilities. However, a patient could be moved without those procedures being done, he said.

"We're going to do everything we can to move her," Jahi's uncle Omari Sealey said Friday. "We're going to see what we can do to get around the procedure."

The position of Children's Hospital Oakland is what would be expected from any other facility, Zitter and Holmes said.

"Generally, when someone is determined to be dead, all remaining interventions are halted," Holmes said, adding Jahi's case is unique in that a judge intervened extending her time hooked to life support machines until Monday evening.

"I think the whole case is dangerous in terms of precedent. I think that's probably a concern for the hospital," Holmes said. "We're able to do so much in medicine, and there are times when maybe we shouldn't do as much."

As many patients wind up brain-dead, Jahi's case could create future problems, he said."If you don't set hard lines, it's hard to reestablish those hard lines later," Holmes said. "The hospital is in the unfortunate position that any time they set those standards, it can be perceived as cold and unsympathetic, and it's a very hard place to be put in."
http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...th-hospital-open-transferring-brain-dead-teen

I wonder if they worded it like that on purpose, I also wonder if the family's lawyer caught that wording. They don't say they will put in the tubes and such, they say they will consent to her being transferred as is. They already took the stance that they think it's wrong and in the letter to the family they say they will do what's legally and ethically right. Really it still leaves me wondering what they are willing to do. Will they do surgery or not?

I think the second quote is a quote from previous articles, but still relevant and appropriate. Unfortunately, the hospital is unable to comment because of the privacy issues. However, I'm pretty sure once a person has died medical records become, somewhat, public records. That's how people find out information when working on genealogy and we are able to find information on celebrities and other stories of interest.

Buuuuut, since this case is in active litigation, the hospital still may not be able to, or want to, comment.

http://www.app.com/viewart/20131227/NJNEWS18/312270093/Nursing-home-says-won-t-take-brain-dead-girl

Sealey said they are now in talks with three other nursing homes — two in Los Angeles and one in New York — that may be willing to take her.

So they are looking at a facility in New York? Now we are looking at transferring a dead body across state lines.

If Jahi is transferred a long distance away from their current home do they plan to move? (rhetorical question)

Wanna bet the coroner says "Hell no!" to the move? See, idiot family, how being a prick will come back to bite you in the arse when you suddenly need help from the very people and institutions that you've been bad-mouthing for nearly three weeks?

If I were the coroner, I could not in good conscience sign off on this body transfer, which I feel would be a serious breach of ethics to allow. I can only hope that Oakland's actual coroner sees it the same way.

Right?! It's very ironic. It's like the saying, "don't bite the hand that feeds you" or "don't shit where you eat."

I am very interested in hearing what the coroner has to say about all of this.

@Azryhael do you know what the laws are of transporting a body across state lines?

I found these two articles, but I'm not sure they can be used as reliable sources. Both articles are also in regards to final burial.

https://mysendoff.com/2011/05/transporting-a-body-across-state-lines/

All states regulate the transportation of bodies across state lines,

In most states, the body may be released to the family of the deceased for transport, rather than requiring the body to be moved by the funeral home. The remains must be transported by ‘common carriers’ such as rail, car and air.

Some states require that the body be embalmed or cremated prior to transit, although not all do
http://www.ehow.com/how_8536067_transport-deceased-one-state-another.html

It is legal in the United States to transport a body across state lines as long as a carrier such as rail, air or professional car service is used. Prior to moving a body, each state that the remains will pass through should be contacted. Many states require a death certificate and an out-of-state disposition permit for a body to pass through. These documents can be obtained from your local coroner. It is important to have all of this information prior to moving a body across state lines to avoid violating the law.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_8536067_transport-deceased-one-state-another.html#ixzz2onBsqwqb

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...th-hospital-open-transferring-brain-dead-teen
A call to the Coroner's Office on Friday was not immediately returned, but Dolan said that office had greenlighted a transfer if a facility would accept her.

"I think the whole case is dangerous in terms of precedent. I think that's probably a concern for the hospital," Holmes said. "We're able to do so much in medicine, and there are times when maybe we shouldn't do as much."

As many patients wind up brain-dead, Jahi's case could create future problems, he said."If you don't set hard lines, it's hard to reestablish those hard lines later," Holmes said. "The hospital is in the unfortunate position that any time they set those standards, it can be perceived as cold and unsympathetic, and it's a very hard place to be put in."/
So the coroner's office has not made an official comment. I'm not sure I believe anything that sleaze, Dolan, says.

I really believe this case will make every hospital, in the country, to reconsider the amount of time a brain dead person is allowed on the vent. The sad thing is all the traveling relatives may not be afforded the time to get to the hospital to say their goodbyes. All because of this case.

@Azryhael do you know what the laws are of transporting a body across state lines?

It varies dramatically from state to state, but in general a death certificate and a permit of transit for final disposition is required in all states, which makes this case even more complicated, since Jahi's family refuses to accept that she's dead, and certainly won't allow her to be refrigerated or embalmed, since somehow they think such procedures would "actually kill" her.

The family would also insist on full life-support for the body during transit, which no medical transport service with the necessary capabilities would be willing to provide for liability reasons.

Any additional resources used by this family other than funeral expenses, a burial plot, and a grave marker will be a shameful waste. I'm beyond disgusted with them at this point.

Last edited:
It is legal in the United States to transport a body across state lines as long as a carrier such as rail, air or professional car service is used. Prior to moving a body, each state that the remains will pass through should be contacted. Many states require a death certificate and an out-of-state disposition permit for a body to pass through. These documents can be obtained from your local coroner. It is important to have all of this information prior to moving a body across state lines to avoid violating the law.

Under California state law:
every person who deposits or disposes of any human remains in any place, except in a cemetery, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
-- http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=07001-08000&file=7050.5-7055

They are attempting to deposit a corpse in a long-term care facility. I'm not suggesting that Mom or the nursing facility owners should be brought up on improper disposal charges, but at this point, the threat of it might serve as a wake-up call.

A Mommyish.com blogger weighs in, attempting to relate the issue to being pro-choice.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. This story has made national news for about a week or so now, and it’s one of those things that is really hard to hear. The specific medical details of Jahi McMath‘s situation have been understandably kept under wraps, not only for US HIPAA laws, but also because she is a minor. What we do know is that she went in for a relatively routine tonsillectomy procedure and ended up medically brain dead due to complications. Since then there has been a struggle between McMath’s family and the hospital where she is being cared for.

This woman seriously fails to grasp the concept of brain death or the fact that this girl is LEGALLY DEAD:
This story has made me really think about what I believe as a pro-choice person.I’ve known since I was a pre-teen that I didn’t feel comfortable with the idea of long-term life support. My great-grandma went into a coma when I was 6 and my family held out for over a year before taking her off life support. It seemed wrong to me then, and that has stayed with me ever since.

[...]

Now before the comments erupt with cries of “the taxpayer is paying!” The family has made it clear that their insurance will cover the costs. They have also made it clear that their plans to move her will be more cost effective than keeping her where she is.

...but nowhere near as cost effective as proper, LEGAL disposal.

Here’s what it comes down to. Do I agree with their decision? Not really. I wouldn’t make the same decision for myself, if I had the choice. But the choice, legally, is theirs, and I think it should be honored.

Insofar as both these families' choices should be honored:
http://www.dreamindemon.com/community/threads/widow-slept-with-husbands-corpse-for-a-year.65793/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/woman-dead-husband-body-apartment-article-1.1204976

READ THE FULL ARTICLE on Mommyish: http://www.mommyish.com/2013/12/28/jahi-mcmath/#ixzz2ooCJQehb

It varies dramatically from state to state, but in general a death certificate and a permit of transit for final disposition is required in all states, which makes this case even more complicated, since Jahi's family refuses to accept that she's dead, and certainly won't allow her to be refrigerated or embalmed, since somehow they think such procedures would "actually kill" her.

The family would also insist on full life-support for the body during transit, which no medical transport service with the necessary capabilities would be willing to provide for liability reasons.

Any additional resources used by this family other than funeral expenses, a burial plot, and a grave marker will be a shameful waste. I'm beyond disgusted with them at this point.

Ok, that's what I thought. It should be pretty difficult for the family to transport the body on life sustaining equipment. I want to say it is a clear cut "NO" answer, but I can see this family and their lawyer going back to the courts. A death certificate can't be issued. The coroner has not inspected the body. Well, I want to say it can't be issued, but who knows with this case.

I want to say no medical transport service would deny the family transport to another facility, but I don't know. If there is actually a facility out there willing to take this kid, I'm sure there may be an ICU mobile unit service willing to transfer her and that's scary as fuck.

I have no sympathy left for this family.
Under California state law:

-- http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=07001-08000&file=7050.5-7055

They are attempting to deposit a corpse in a long-term care facility. I'm not suggesting that Mom or the nursing facility owners should be brought up on improper disposal charges, but at this point, the threat of it might serve as a wake-up call.

Yes, this is what I was trying to get at. Although, I don't even think they should warn them. I think they should do it. There's no doubt going to be a lawsuit come of this, so why go easy on them? The last time the hospital tried to go easy on them by allowing them more time with their loved one, the family went to the courts to get the injunction. My patience is over with this family.

Hopefully that will be part of the appeal for the hospital. I hope the coroner mentions it, too, and any transfer service and long term facilities they are trying to move to. I hope the clerk of courts in the states they want to transfer across deny their permits because of it.

They can't think everyone is out to get them and maybe they will finally get it. And maybe their disgusting asshole lawyer will give up.

I have no sympathy left for this family.

Nor I.

Yes, this is what I was trying to get at. Although, I don't even think they should warn them. I think they should do it. There's no doubt going to be a lawsuit come of this, so why go easy on them? The last time the hospital tried to go easy on them by allowing them more time with their loved one, the family went to the courts to get the injunction. My patience is over with this family.

You're absolutely right, but it's far too emotionally charged an issue, so they're never going to charge Mom with anything, no matter how much money, time, and equipment the idiot wastes.

And at first I figured the family was lying about insurance agreeing to cover a corpse, but then my best friend told me about an insurance company she's dealt with (she works in the health care field as an office manager) that refuses to cover birth control. I then remembered reading something years ago about how a woman suffering from a life-threatening ectopic pregnancy was denied coverage for a medically-necessary operation. So I'm sure there is some crazy Catholic (or whatever) insurance company out there that is willing to offer coverage to a dead person.

You're absolutely right, but it's far too emotionally charged an issue, so they're never going to charge Mom with anything, no matter how much money, time, and equipment the idiot wastes.

And at first I figured the family was lying about insurance agreeing to cover a corpse, but then my best friend told me about an insurance company she's dealt with (she works in the health care field as an office manager) that refuses to cover birth control. I then remembered reading something years ago about how a woman suffering from a life-threatening ectopic pregnancy was denied coverage for a medically-necessary operation. So I'm sure there is some crazy Catholic (or whatever) insurance company out there that is willing to offer coverage to a dead person.

And you are absolutely right. They won't charge the mother. They won't charge anyone else who handles this child either. They should though.

Insurance companies are assholes, so you are probably right about them, too, in regards to covering a dead person. I mean, why provide medically necessary medications and operations to people who are alive? The only thing they're good for is paying the premium!

All this is doing is giving the family something else to focus on instead of facing the truth and dealing with it. I see media wh**es being here born but more than that I see focus on the fight instead of the fact that the child is dead as a way to avoid it even. I do feel sympathy for them because of their loss but I don't get how they claim medical fields with these beliefs. What cracker jack schools did they study at?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24807859/jahi-mcmath-family-trying-raise-money-get-13

The family of Jahi McMath is attempting to raise money to help pay for the cost of airlifting the brain-dead 13-year-old from the Oakland hospital where she has been since Dec. 9 to one of two facilities that have offered to care for the teen indefinitely.

What happened to the rich doctors that were going to provide financially for the long term "care" of Jahi? Also, the article said insurance won't cover the cost of airlifting her. Wait, what? The insurance won't cover it? You don't say.

Sealey said that on Friday, the family; their attorney, Christopher Dolan; and the attorney for Children's Hospital Oakland had a conference call with one of the facilities to prove Jahi could be accepted there

Sam Singer, a public relations expert hired by the hospital, said despite the family's reports, the hospital has not heard from either the McMath family or Dolan in more than 24 hours about any progress on transferring Jahi. He said the medical director of the Southern California facility was supposed to call the family back and Dolan would contact Children's Hospital, but that has not happened.

"Our hearts go out to the family, that is not what is in question," Singer said. "But it is wrong of (Dolan) to create false impressions that brain dead is not dead. It is dead.

"The family has been told by doctors and by a judge that Jahi McMath is dead. And that is very sad, but there has to be some recognition that the situation is not going to change."

This Dolan character is complete fucking slime.

The family said they never intended to cause such a rousing discussion, but that Jahi's family stands by their religious conviction and their right to decide what happens to Jahi either in life or in death.

What? And what religious conviction would that be?

So far the fund has raised almost $5,000 from 174 donors. The goal is to raise $20,000.

This family should have to pay all those people back when Jahi is not airlifted to any facility. That's what the gofundme account is for

It is our fundamental, constitutional right as it would be yours should this horror ever befall you; something I do not wish on anyone, ever."

What the fuck does this even mean? Do they think they are the first people to have a loved one die?

The girl is brain dead. She's not in a coma or some vegetative state. It is an irreversible condition at this point. There is no miracle going to happen to revive a dead person. The hospital did all it could and is not legally obligated to treat what is essentially a corpse. The family does not accept the opinion of the doctors and sought an injunction to prevent them from pulling the plug.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/12/20/3677155/california-girl-had-fears-before.html

DV, I was thinking for organ donation reasons they were keeping her alive - but not sure why so long. Then I read the following post by TeeJay...

It is not up to the family when and if mechanical ventilation is discontinued when the patient has been declared brain dead. The hospital had every right to discontinue "treatment," but was showing compassion to the family so they could have time to accept things. The coroner had every right to demand mechanical ventilation to be discontinued and pick up the body, but they too, were showing compassion towards the family. The hospital and coroner had these rights prior to the injunction. That's why the family got the injunction to keep the kid on mechanical ventilation.

The mother is a nurse. A NURSE. She does not believe her daughter is dead. Even though there was brain death confirmation on Thursday, December 12th, twelve hours a part. The testing has been repeated, at least twice, that I have read and the family still does not believe it. They want a third and fourth opinion done next week. The nurse has no concept of brain death.

I watched an interview with the mom. She stated the machines are not what is providing her daughter with a heartbeat or breathing. So why not extubate her?

Here is a FB page of the family's supporters. They think this girl will be murdered by the hospital if they discontinue the vent. I haven't been on it in a few days because I can't take the people on there. They are giving "examples" of people who were "brain dead" and came back to life. I'm sorry, but that just does not happen. No one has ever come back from the dead. (except Jesus if you believe in that sort of thing)

https://www.facebook.com/keepJahiMcmathonlifesupport

She has also been on the vent for 9 days. A dead person has been on a vent for 9 days. This girl is not in a coma. She is not in a vegetative state. She is dead. On a vent. For 9 days, as of today. It doesn't matter if the vent is discontinued a month from now. That girls date of death is still going to be December 12th.

For real, TeeJay? My hubby was saying that maybe, even subconsciously, they didn't want her to die on or over Christmas, so tried to keep her 'alive' till after that. But if her date of death will be 12/12 anyway, maybe that's not it. Still, if they got through Christmas holding their breathing daughter's warm hand in theirs, maybe it will be easier now to let go.

@TeeJay, @Azryhael

It turns out that in the state of California, only the hospital, the mortuary, and the coroner are licensed to transport a corpse. Special permits may be obtained by individuals or organizations looking to transport a corpse themselves, yet they are required to follow certain regulations:

California Health and Safety Code 7355:

(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the bodies of persons who have died from any cause shall not be received for transportation by a common carrier unless the body has been embalmed and prepared by a licensed embalmer and placed in a sound casket and enclosed in a transportation case.

(b) A dead body, which cannot be embalmed or is in a state of decomposition, shall be received for transportation by a common carrier if the body is placed in an airtight metal casket enclosed in a strong transportation case or in a sound casket enclosed in an airtight metal or metal-lined transportation case.

This family should have to pay all those people back when Jahi is not airlifted to any facility. That's what the gofundme account is for

Agreed.

It is our fundamental, constitutional right as it would be yours should this horror ever befall you; something I do not wish on anyone, ever."
What the fuck does this even mean? Do they think they are the first people to have a loved one die?

It means their freedom of religious expression supersedes reality. I suspect they honestly believe the girl's soul is trapped inside the body and that if they pray hard enough, God may "heal" her brain.

DV, I was thinking for organ donation reasons they were keeping her alive - but not sure why so long. Then I read the following post by TeeJay...

For real, TeeJay? My hubby was saying that maybe, even subconsciously, they didn't want her to die on or over Christmas, so tried to keep her 'alive' till after that. But if her date of death will be 12/12 anyway, maybe that's not it. Still, if they got through Christmas holding their breathing daughter's warm hand in theirs, maybe it will be easier now to let go.

Yes, legally, her date of death is 12/12/2013. Unless, the courts order an addendum to the medical chart to note the date of death for a later time. The doctor documented Jahi was brain dead on the 12th and the hospital contacted the coroner to make them aware a death occurred and they will need to pick up the body for an autopsy.

I think it was possible for the family to start to find closure by being with their daughter over the holidays, but we are past Christmas and they are still talking about keeping her on the vent indefinitely.

@TeeJay, @Azryhael

It turns out that in the state of California, only the hospital, the mortuary, and the coroner are licensed to transport a corpse. Special permits may be obtained by individuals or organizations looking to transport a corpse themselves, yet they are required to follow certain regulations:

Thanks! I tried to google as much info as I could, but I must not have been using the correct phrases or something. I'm not a very good googler.

It means their freedom of religious expression supersedes reality. I suspect they honestly believe the girl's soul is trapped inside the body and that if they pray hard enough, God may "heal" her brain.

I think it's a line of bullshit. I think they should have to prove a lengthy history of believing what ever it is they are saying they believe. Like, if they say they think snakes heal, they better have a huge ass tank at home with a shit ton of snakes in it. I think they should have to prove their belief that people don't die and when they do it is up to them or their mom.

What I don't understand is if these people are so religious; why don't they let Jahi go right on up unto Jesus' hands? Why don't they take her off the vent and see what God does? The mother has already made a statement, in an interview, that the vent is not what is providing Jahi with breath or a heartbeat.

I don't know what the agenda is of these parents, but I think they are full of shit what ever it is.

The lawyer is just using the words religious conviction to make it seem more of a right and a trespass to deny them to violate their dead child's body for their emotional avoidance. Another fatback head slime ball. Just Great. Ya'll don't ever let my parents do this ok ?

Thanks! I tried to google as much info as I could, but I must not have been using the correct phrases or something. I'm not a very good googler.

I've been trying to figure out if California has some sort of a timetable for corpse disposal. I've hit upon a zillion funeral home sites citing that California law
Requires that within 24 hours of death the body be cremated, buried, refrigerated, or sanitarily embalmed. The legal requirements of processing the death certificate and receiving a county-issued permit before the cremation can take place usually make it necessary to refrigerate if a service with embalming is not selected.
...only I've yet to stumble across whatever regulation states this. I suspect it only applies to corpses that have been received by funeral homes, but still... I imagine there has to be some sort of time limit for holding off on the disposal of your dead.

I think it's a line of bullshit. I think they should have to prove a lengthy history of believing what ever it is they are saying they believe. Like, if they say they think snakes heal, they better have a huge ass tank at home with a shit ton of snakes in it. I think they should have to prove their belief that people don't die and when they do it is up to them or their mom.

You have a constitutional right to express a religious opinion (e.g., "she is not dead according to the Catholic Church" or "her soul is still in there.") You do NOT have constitutional right for that opinion to be true -- or for the government to treat it as such.

What I don't understand is if these people are so religious; why don't they let Jahi go right on up unto Jesus' hands? Why don't they take her off the vent and see what God does? The mother has already made a statement, in an interview, that the vent is not what is providing Jahi with breath or a heartbeat.

I don't know what the agenda is of these parents, but I think they are full of shit what ever it is.

My family is Catholic, which means our lives are in God's hands. I can see trying to prolong life if there's any chance of resuscitation, or possibly for organ donation, but when your time is up, your time is up - and the soul moves on to a better place. I really can't see the benefit of making this child's body suffer or linger any more than she has to. Rest in peace, Jahi.

I've been trying to figure out if California has some sort of a timetable for corpse disposal. I've hit upon a zillion funeral home sites citing that California law

...only I've yet to stumble across whatever regulation states this. I suspect it only applies to corpses that have been received by funeral homes, but still... I imagine there has to be some sort of time limit for holding off on the disposal of your dead.
You have a constitutional right to express a religious opinion (e.g., "she is not dead according to the Catholic Church" or "her soul is still in there.") You do NOT have constitutional right for that opinion to be true -- or for the government to treat it as such.

Yeah, all my googling refers to interment laws and funeral home stuff. Probably because that's where bodies go when they are disposed of and not nursing homes. ha!

I wonder if my religious convictions could get me out of a speeding/traffic ticket.

Yeah, all my googling refers to interment laws and funeral home stuff. Probably because that's where bodies go when they are disposed of and not nursing homes. ha!

I wonder if my religious convictions could get me out of a speeding/traffic ticket.

Only if you get pulled over by a priest! ha! Kidding...but it's all about who you know...maybe a Catholic state trooper?
If that fails, pay the ticket and curse the system, but you'll feel better :) I sent a profanity-laden payment to San Francisco for going through a toll booth, when we were on vacation and our GPS told us to go there...we were visitors, FFS!

From the GoFundMe page:

Updated posted by Latasha Nailah Winkfield 5 hours ago
I just found out that the facility my daughter was supposed to be going to has backed out! Children's hospital has once again interfered with the placement of my daughter we still have a chance at 1 more facility so let us all pray.
http://www.gofundme.com/Jahi-Mcmath

So does that mean they do not have a place for her body to be taken to? :shrug:

From the GoFundMe page:

Updated posted by Latasha Nailah Winkfield 5 hours ago
http://www.gofundme.com/Jahi-Mcmath

So does that mean they do not have a place for her body to be taken to? :shrug:

I read another article, last night, that said the previous facility no longer had a bed available. These people are really working the heart strings of people to believe the hospital has interfered with the transfer.

Supposedly, there is another facility in Southern California and one still in New York pending.

Supposedly, there is another facility in Southern California and one still in New York pending.
She doesn't say in that post but it was made just hours ago. I am not sure if she means the New York facility but the other California facility backed out late yesterday.
The family of Jahi McMath, the 13-year-old girl declared brain dead after complications from routine tonsil surgery, said Saturday a hospital in New York may be able to accept her and keep her on life support.

The girl's uncle and lawyer wouldn't provide the hospital's name, saying they don't want media attention to hurt her chance of being accepted and transferred there.

"It's an organization that believes in life," attorney Chris Dolan told the Associated Press.

"It's our last, last hope," he said after two facilities in California that agreed to accept Jahi decided to back out.

A nursing home in the San Francisco Bay Area that had been willing to care for the girl if she had two tubes inserted changed its mind. Dolan said a facility in the Los Angeles area also withdrew its offer because it didn't want media attention or to jeopardize its relationship with its doctors, who refused to treat someone who's been declared brain dead.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-for-girl-declared-brain-dead-family-say?lite

She doesn't say in that post but it was made just hours ago. I am not sure if she means the New York facility but the other California facility backed out late yesterday.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-for-girl-declared-brain-dead-family-say?lite

I knew I should have included the link last night and quoted the statement. I can't find it now. What I read said the first facility didn't back out, but no longer had a bed available. Who knows though, this family and their attorney contradict themselves on the reg.

I'd like to know how Mom expects the body to be airlifted out of there. If the hospital isn't willing to do it -- and they've already made clear that she needs to arrange transport by herself -- she'll have to go with a private carrier, which means the body must be embalmed before transport, or at the very least encased in an airtight metal casket.

And does she expect the cost to fly a corpse cross-country to be the same as flying it to a facility within the state? She's asking a flat $20,000 on the GoFundMe page. Where did this $20,000 figure come from, Yahoo Answers?

She has almost raised the whole twenty grand. I should make a page with a sob story and get me some money from delusional people like this....

My heart and prayers go out to Jahi and her amazing family/support. I, myself, happen to be a doctor and I just have to say that I believe and know 100% that all medical opinions and knowledge in this situation must be thrown out the window! Our Lord Jesus Christ is our ONLY healer/physician and He is the ONLY one we can turn to for a miracle. Jesus and our Heavenly Father have the ultimate plan for Jahi......and I hold out hope in prayer that it is so that when He heals her, in His time, we can all bear witness to His miracle and be so instantly humbled to live our lives to Glorify His Name! Keep your Faith.....above all else! God will use your family in a wondrous way because you stand strong in your Christian Faith and conviction in our Lord Jesus.

I need to start asking my Doctors if they have loony religious beliefs. I wouldn't want this individual to Dr my cat, much less myself.

In a statement issued Sunday, a spokeswoman for Children's Hospital Oakland said its doctors said no one from any other medical organization has been in contact with it to discuss a transfer of the 13-year-old.

"Our physicians have yet to receive a single call or message from the facility under consideration," Cynthia Chiarappa wrote. "We have been waiting since Friday -- when we were first told by the family lawyer of a potential facility that might accept the body of Jahi -- for a call from a physician to discuss with our medical staff what may be necessary to transfer the deceased."
[...]

As Jahi's family prepared for a Sunday afternoon fundraiser at an Oakland church to help pay for a possible airlift, it remained unclear what will happen in the hours ahead.
[...]

"The family has been told by doctors and by a judge that Jahi McMath is dead. And that is very sad, but there has to be some recognition that the situation is not going to change," a spokesman for hospital, Sam Singer, has said.

But her family is fighting on, launching a fundraising drive on the website GoFundMe to pay for a possible transfer. As of 2 p.m. Sunday, the site reported $20,310 had been raised. The family had set a goal of $20,000.
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_24812054/jahi-mcmath-mom-and-lawyer-say-only-remaining

Sunday Afternoon Statement of Children's Hospital Oakland:
Children's Hospital Oakland continues to support the family of Jahi McMath in this time of grief and loss over her death. We continue to do so despite their lawyer's criticizing the very hospital that all along has been working hard to be accommodating to this grieving family.

We have been waiting since Friday 12/27--when we were first told by the family lawyer of a potential facility that might accept the body of Jahi--for a call from a physician to discuss with our medical staff what may be necessary to transfer the deceased. Our physicians have yet to receive a single call or message from the facility under consideration.

The letter/email below was sent to Chris Dolan, the McMath family lawyer, at approximately noon today, Dec. 29, by Children's Hospital Oakland's attorney Douglas Straus:

"Chris,

"I learned from your statements to the media that the Southern California sub-acute facility will not accept Jahi McMath's body because the physicians there do not want to treat a dead body. Children's Hospital understands that this is a very difficult time for Jahi's family. Children's will continue to do what it can do to support the family. In that regard, Children's position has been consistent:

"1. Children's will be pleased to communicate directly with a physician at any facility that is considering accepting Jahi's body to make sure Children's understands the requirements set by that facility for accepting the body and to ensure that the facility understands the current condition of the dead body and what is being done to maintain it under Judge Grillo's temporary restraining order. Of course, the family's representatives can observe that communication.

"2. Children's needs to be assured that there is a lawful transportation plan to any facility to which transfer is proposed.

"3. If the proposed facility is out-of-state, Children's needs written assurances from the Coroner that their office will allow the transfer.

"To date, there has been no communication from any facility named by you regarding a transfer or requirements for transfer with any of the medical professionals at Children's. The family has not identified any facility with which Children's can have this dialogue. Nor have we been provided with a transportation plan or coroner authorization.

"As your email and your statements about the facility in the Los Angeles area acknowledge, discussion about performing medical procedures upon a dead body presents unusual and complicated questions. Until there is a definite commitment by a facility to accept Jahi's body upon specified terms, I don't think I can tackle those issues. Please let me know if the family is able to identify a facility."

Doug Straus

At this point, I think Mom is just looking for attention and to cash in on her daughter's corpse. She is outright LYING to line her pockets:
I just found out that the facility my daughter was supposed to be going to has backed out! Children's hospital has once again interfered with the placement of my daughter we still have a chance at 1 more facility so let us all pray.

This story just gets more and more sickening.

And you are absolutely right. They won't charge the mother. They won't charge anyone else who handles this child either. They should though.

You're right; this bitch needs to be charged with something.

And I still cannot believe how many morons are defending her "right to choose" on Mommyish. I brought up the case of the Russian woman forcing her five children to "care" for their father's dead body for three years, and apparently she had the right to choose too, and "those actions aren't harming anyone else."

Latest posts

Back