• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A founder of a group improving race relations with police was Tasered in the face by officers who mistook him for a wanted man for the second time.

Footage filmed by a neighbour shows Judah Adunbi, 63, outside his Bristol home when he is stopped by police.

Mr Adunbi refused to give his name and after a dispute was Tasered in the face by officers who tried to arrest him.

The incident, which Mr Adunbi said left him "scared for his life", has been referred to the police watchdog.

Mr Adunbi, the founding member of an independent group between the police and prominent members of the Afro-Caribbean community, said he was "terrified" by what happened.

A neighbour of Mr Adunbi filmed the second incident, which took place outside his home in the Easton area of Bristol on 14 January.

The video shows the two officers approaching Mr Adunbi while returning from a walk with his dog. They give the name of the wanted man and ask if that is him.

When he says he is not that man, they ask for his name, which he declines to give.

Mr Adunbi says he refused because he is "not a criminal" and was "just going about my business".

Officers tried to arrest him as he walked into his back garden and then Tasered him.

According to Avon and Somerset Police guidelines "you do not have to give your name, address or date of birth to the police if you're stopped and searched unless you are being reported for an offence.'

The National Police Chiefs' Council - which represents senior police - say that "officers who are trained and equipped with Taser must decide on the most reasonable and necessary use of force in the circumstances."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38691162

If you have done nothing wrong, and happen to resemble a local criminal, why not just give your name ?

Perhaps, because you know that:

According to Avon and Somerset Police guidelines "you do not have to give your name, address or date of birth to the police if you're stopped and searched unless you are being reported for an offence.'

And maybe he doesn't think the likeness is that strong, himself, and he resents being asked? (We don't know how often this has happened, apart from the one earlier incident that there is a record of because it got out of hand.)

@Abroad. I read all that. Why not just help police get over the fact that though they think you may resemble a known criminal but in fact are not that person. Then likely it won't happen again. Especially since it happened before.
I have no sympathy for either party here. Both probably could have handled it better.
ETA:
The whole situation taps such a rich vein of irony!

Last edited:
Back