• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
k12i36.jpg

Peter Nathan Steinmetz was arrested and booked into Maricopa County jail on one count of disorderly conduct with a weapon.​
[...]
leading neuroscientist was busted for allegedly pointing an assault rifle at two women in an Arizona airport while on a coffee run.

Peter Nathan Steinmetz
[...]
did not think he did anything wrong when he brought the AR-15 to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
[...]
The brain scientist for the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix reportedly had the gun slung over his shoulder while ordering the cup of Joe, which did not cause a problem.

The trouble began after he removed the gun and inadvertently pointed the muzzle at a mother and her 17-year-old daughter
[...]
Phoenix police took issue with "the way he was carrying it," police Sgt. Steve Martos
[...]
"(B)oth stated they felt in fear of their safety when the rifle was pointed in their direction,"
[...]
Steinmetz was arrested and booked into Maricopa County jail on one count of disorderly conduct with a weapon.

His bond was set at $5,000.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ariz-man-ar-15-busted-coffee-run-article-1.1883678

Dr. Peter Nathan Steinmetz, a brain scientist with Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, was arrested on Friday for mishandling his AR-15 in Phoenix Sky Harbor
[...]
Steinmetz was possibly making a point about his Second Amendment rights, police theorize, when he bought a cup of coffee at Starbucks in Terminal Four with his rifle slung over his shoulder.
It seems Steinmetz,
[...]
was doing nothing wrong up until the moment he pointed the weapon inadvertently at two women in the "B"-gate waiting area. Police tell
[...]
that, in general, it's not illegal to carry a semi-automatic rifle into an airport terminal. In this case, the problem was "the way he was carrying it," says Phoenix police Sergeant
[...]
After buying the coffee, Steinmetz walked to the east end of Terminal Four's third level and stopped in front of the B gates, in the "non-secure" part of the terminal.
[...]
"then proceeded to remove the (Stag Arms) AR-15 from his right shoulder thus causing the muzzle to face two victims sitting to the right..." the booking sheet reads. "Both victims, a mother and her 17-year-old daughter, both stated they felt in fear of their safety when the rifle was pointed in their direction."

Steinmetz was taken into custody, arrested, and booked into the Maricopa County jail. Police are seeking two felony counts of disorderly conduct with a weapon.

Steinmetz pulled a similar stunt back in November, when he showed up at Sky Harbor -- two days after a fatal shooting at Los Angeles International Airport -- with a rifle and his son, who was also armed. They told police they were there merely to pick up Steinmetz's wife from the airport
[...]
Judging by his Barrow Neurological Institute web page, Steinmetz is a big deal in the world of brain science. He's been the principal investigator of the institute's "Neuroengineering/Human Neurophysiology Laboratory," also called the Brain Modeling Laboratory, since 2008. Steinmetz also has a personal website that lists his extensive work and research experience. His resume lists his many awards and published works
[..]
Carmelle Malkovich, Barrow spokeswoman, released the following statement from Dignity Health's St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center,
[...]
"We can confirm that Peter Steinmetz is employed as a researcher with St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. We are aware of the situation and are taking it very seriously. At present this issue is being handled by Human Resources and our policy is not to comment on HR matters."
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/va...n_scientist_arrested_at_airport_with_ar15.php

What a fucking douchebag. Anyone serious about gun rights would never do what this neanderthal did. Just what point was he trying to prove? That he has the constitutional right to be a dipshit coz thats all I'm getting from this article.

HE is an ass!! No problem with him carrying ad he goes and points it at people!!!! I would have been shitty and wanted his ass aressted too! Anyone with a brain KNOWS you never point your barrel at people youare not intending to fire on!! UGH!!! I abhor SMART -STEWPIT PEOPLE!!!!

Maybe it's because I live in Canada, but I cannot for the life of me fathom why you would want or need to walk around with an AR-15.

And does this douche really think that walking around and demonstrating that he completely lacks the proper respect for his gun is going to help his cause?

The scariest part is that TSA is not allowed to open an unapproved gun case lock, and even while inspecting an approved one, isn't allowed to handle the weapon. i.e. check to c if it's loaded. Ammo is "supposed" to be in checked baggage.
A police officer has to be contacted (if the agent suspects, NOT a mandatory rule) and do the search, and based on the agents I've dealt with here, that would mean getting out of my chair and actually putting an effort into something (but again, I'm from STL). Last flight I took, the very large woman watching the X-ray machine had a fingernail file in her hand. 'Nuff said.
So off of my rant...it *almost* sounds to me like this guy's actions were very deliberate, maybe purposeful? A neuro study of some kind? Either way, doc is a jerk.
ETA: I'm not saying all agents r lazy, only the ones who work here in my ghetto. No offense to anyone else.

The scariest part is that TSA is not allowed to open an unapproved gun case lock, and even while inspecting an approved one, isn't allowed to handle the weapon. i.e. check to c if it's loaded. Ammo is "supposed" to be in checked baggage.
A police officer has to be contacted (if the agent suspects, NOT a mandatory rule) and do the search, and based on the agents I've dealt with here, that would mean getting out of my chair and actually putting an effort into something (but again, I'm from STL). Last flight I took, the very large woman watching the X-ray machine had a fingernail file in her hand. 'Nuff said.
So off of my rant...it *almost* sounds to me like this guy's actions were very deliberate, maybe purposeful? A neuro study of some kind? Either way, doc is a jerk.
ETA: I'm not saying all agents r lazy, only the ones who work here in my ghetto. No offense to anyone else.
Maybe they think it won't happen to them :shrug:.

I can't understand it either, DG. There is a small faction within the community of responsible, sensible gun owners that scares the bejeezus out of me. Those are the guys who are strolling around with guns in plain view, rifles slung on their shoulders and, for all I know, sniper rifles. They claim to be exercising their Constitutional rights, but what they're actually doing is scaring the shit out of ordinary, everyday people. Well, I did hear one old guy say he carried his gun because "you never know when the guv'ment gonna come for you, and I aim to be prepared!"

If I'm out shopping or doing some other shit, and I see someone walking around toting a rifle or any other firearm, I'll be beatin' feet. And probably screamin'.

Well, I did hear one old guy say he carried his gun because "you never know when the guv'ment gonna come for you, and I aim to be prepared!"
This is what blows my mind. Does anyone actually think that one dude with a gun can defend himself against the US military? If they're coming for you, they are getting you, bro!

Idiots like this only serve to weaken the argument in favor of our constitutional rights. It's one thing to openly carry a holstered pistol, but to open carry the anti-gunner's most targeted "Big, Scary Gun?" SERIOUSLY?!?!?
Just like the incidents with the Texas Open Carry group in restaurants & department stores, this person seems to have gone out of his way to scare the livin' shit out of two people that were probably twitchy to start with.
To be honest, I'm beginning to believe that some of these incidents were/are instigated by the groups headed by Former Mayor Bloomberg & Shannon Watts. Only a fool would believe that both sides of the coin haven't infiltrated the others' organizations.

This is what blows my mind. Does anyone actually think that one dude with a gun can defend himself against the US military? If they're coming for you, they are getting you, bro!

The minions of King George III outlawed & tried to confiscate the weapons that were roughly analogous to today's semi-auto combat-style weapons. Flintlocks were advanced weaponry for their day.
That's likely similar to what they said to the 3% of the colonial population that ran the Brits off from what is now the USA.
Remember how well that worked out for them?

To be honest, I'm beginning to believe that some of these incidents were/are instigated by the groups headed by Former Mayor Bloomberg & Shannon Watts.
I really doubt that a successful scientist would risk his job for a political pissing match.

The minions of King George III outlawed & tried to confiscate the weapons that were roughly analogous to today's semi-auto combat-style weapons. Flintlocks were advanced weaponry for their day.
That's likely similar to what they said to the 3% of the colonial population that ran the Brits off from what is now the USA.
Remember how well that worked out for them?
If the British had had drones and were able to kill you remotely, we wouldn't have beaten them.

I really doubt that a successful scientist would risk his job for a political pissing match.
It wouldn't be the first time an educated idiot went out of their way to prove that they can make poor decisions.

If the British had had drones and were able to kill you remotely, we wouldn't have beaten them.
Civilians were making what are now broadly termed as "drones" for decades. They are/were called R/C controlled airplanes, ground-effect craft, and helicopters.

Civilians were making what are now broadly termed as "drones" for decades. They are/were called R/C controlled airplanes, ground-effect craft, and helicopters.
That doesn't mean that if the military for some bizarre reason decided to kill you, they couldn't call down a drone strike on your house.

Not that they would, because the government is not going to "come for you", but they could.

That doesn't mean that if the military for some bizarre reason decided to kill you, they couldn't call down a drone strike on your house.

Not that they would, because the government is not going to "come for you", but they could.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Look at what the Viet Cong did to the US forces in Viet Nam... And we were dropping a shit-load of 500 lb. bombs like brown rain on their thatch roofed huts.

What a fucking douchebag. Anyone serious about gun rights would never do what this neanderthal did. Just what point was he trying to prove? That he has the constitutional right to be a dipshit coz thats all I'm getting from this article.

A-fucking-men. I highly HIGHLY doubt this guy is a gun rights advocating constitutionalist. Almost all would not be pointing a gun all willy nilly at people like that.

Again, please DO NOT lump this fucktard in with RESPONSIBLE gun owners. Fucktards like this are NOT our representatives, in fact most of us find them as embarassing and stupid as the anti-gunners do.

What Krystal said:p.

Responsible gun owners are A-OK with me; like I said, I was raised around them and have a healthy respect for them. At one time mr cb had to go out and buy one...legally. The ex was stalking us both, with a gun. At 1 AM one Saturday he chased mr cb thru the Chemistry Building with a .38. Mr cb got a .357 Magnum and accompanied me everywhere for months; especially when I was picking daughter up or dropping her off for visitation...He kept the gun in his lap, in plain view. YUP! Even after that the bastard had visitation rights.

I can't handle one because I lost my Daddy to gun violence and I'm still not over it (yeah, as if)

Back