• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Chicago dog who made his way to a Racine County rescue facility had an emergency "sex change" surgery to safe his life after bladder stones had become lodged in his penis, Woof Gang Rescue's executive director said.

Jodie Hoffman Ruffalo said the shepherd, named Bishop, was surrendered to Chicago Animal Care and Control by a family he'd had for seven years. An examination revealed that he had bladder stones that would need urgent attention.

Hoping to avoid the 7 p.m. Monday deadline for euthanasia, Chicago officials contacted Woof Gang Rescue for help, Ruffalo said.

A potential adopter for Bishop was found, but a subsequent exam showed that Bishop was in extreme pain because the bladder stones were lodged in his penis near the bone, unable to be broken up and removed.

To avoid putting Bishop down, Ruffalo said the decision was made to perform a "sex change" operation on the dog.

Bishop -- now named "Bishy," according to Ruffalo -- was said to be doing well Tuesday after the initial surgery. A follow-up procedure will need to be done in the coming days to remove additional bladder stones.

Ruffalo said the emergency surgery was long, risky and expensive.

http://www.wisn.com/article/racine-county-dog-has-sex-change-to-save-his-life/13605262
bishop-to-bishy-1510684309.jpg

First i wanted to puke...until i read past the title, and now i'm glad they saved the dog!

Ok, I love animals and love dogs,
but come on.
I doubt he will squat to piss and by lifting his leg will wet all over himself.
His DNA is still male identifying.
It was hardly a sex change.
They cut his weiner off.

Honestly, I feel the compassionate thing would have been to put him down.
Hope his nuts are gone too at least or he will be fairly messed up.

Believe it or not, this is a rather common procedure in cats. They have highly concentrated urine that crystallizes easily, and a tiny urethra. It's a critical emergency as the bladder can rupture. If there are repeated attacks and it can't be controlled otherwise, this is the solution.

Having said that the surgery is nothing new let me call this a better choice than euthanasia. Your attachment to your own penis should have no place in whether this dog lives or dies.

My dachshund died of a bladder rupture caused by bladder stones. We did the bladder surgery but it was too late and we had to send her across the rainbow bridge. She was a good dog. RIP Gibson Les Paul Sunburst, the goodest dog. :(

I wonder if that was taken before or after his operation (no cone of shame). He might just be heartbroken that his family of 7 years surrendered him. :(
Sometimes is you don’t have money for the surgery that is the only thing you can do. Give up the animal and hope a rescue group will pay for the surgery.

Back