• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
rup2rb.jpg

Angela Grasso​
April 11 2014
The 23-year-old Hartford man shot and killed by a woman who said he had repeatedly threatened to kill her and her children had a history of violence toward women,
[....]
Jose A. Mendez, also known as "Bebo," had served prison time for assaulting a girlfriend in Hartford and had a case pending against him in connection with a similar incident
[....]
In both of those cases, police said, Mendez threatened to kill the girlfriends and their children. In the Hartford case, he subsequently violated a criminal protective order that he stay at least 100 yards from the woman and her child. Police noted in both cases that the women expressed genuine fear of Mendez.

The woman in the Hartford case was "genuinely afraid that her life was in peril," an officer noted in a report.

In both of those earlier cases — and as is alleged in the West Hartford case — Mendez sent threatening text messages and made threatening calls to the women.

On Wednesday evening, according to police, Angela Grasso-Cunha shot and killed Mendez in a car
[.....]
Grasso-Cunha, 27, of Plainville, later told West Hartford police that Mendez, whom she had been dating for about three weeks, repeatedly threatened to kill her, her children and others in her family. She told police that she shot Mendez in self-defense.

Her lawyer, Walter Hussey, said that text messages on her cellphone bore out that claim.

She shot Mendez in the head with her Glock 9mm pistol, police wrote in a report, because "she saw it as her only opportunity to stop him from following through on his threats, which she believed were inevitable."

She told detectives that she did not call police or seek other help earlier because Mendez had told her that he would get released on bail and "find her because he knew where she lived."

West Hartford police charged Grasso-Cunha with first-degree manslaughter with a firearm and released her after she posted $50,000 bail. At her arraignment Thursday, Judge Joan K. Alexander increased her bail to $750,000,
[....]
Grasso-Cunha works as a bail bondswoman for Capitol Bail Bonds of Hartford. She is now under house arrest.

Mendez's sister said Friday that her family does not accept the claim of self-defense.

"In this situation, there was every intention to kill my brother," Stephanie Lopez said. She called the manslaughter charge against Grasso-Cunha a "slap in the face."

"One shot to the head is not protection, it's a murder," Lopez said. "If he was so much of a threat, why even get into the car?"
Hussey, the defense attorney, said that first-degree manslaughter with a firearm was a serious charge and carries a sentence of up to 40 years in prison.

He said he was confident that West Hartford police would find on Grasso-Cunha's phone, which they seized, threatening text messages from Mendez. "There's no doubt they are going to find things that are going to support her position,"
[....]
Hussey said Mendez knew that Grasso-Cunha had a gun in her handbag and he repeatedly told her that he was going to kill her and her family with that gun.

The issue is what "she subjectively believed and whether it is reasonable,"
[....]
In the Hartford case involving Mendez, in November 2010, police went to a home on Preston Street where Mendez's then-girlfriend told them that Mendez had broken into her apartment, punched her in the face and taken her car. Mendez repeatedly told the woman that "he would shoot at her house and kill her and her [daughter],"
[...]
Later, when police stopped her car, which had been reported stolen, another man was driving it. Mendez sent a text message to the woman who owned the car telling her that she had better bail the man out of jail or Mendez "would find her and kill her,"
[....]
In June 2012, police were called to the woman's home again after Mendez went there and threatened to kill the woman for putting him in jail. He was armed with a black handgun,
[....]
He served prison sentences for both offenses.

In the East Hartford case, Mendez went to the home of his estranged girlfriend on Nov. 1, 2013, and demanded that she give him $400, according to police. When she refused, he went outside and smashed the windshield of her car,
[....]
He fled and the woman called police. Mendez sent the woman text messages threatening to kill her and her children, and she feared for her life,
[....]
One of the text messages, according to police, was: "U wrong for dat ma rns but i promise if I dont get my money ima kill ur mother and ur kids dats word to my mother."

Police obtained a warrant and Mendez was arrested on Dec. 12, 2013, on charges of threatening, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.
http://articles.courant.com/2014-04...20140411_1_mendez-west-hartford-hartford-case
24nduet.jpg

Jose Mendez​
April 24 2014
A bail bondsman arrested in connection with the shooting death of her boyfriend had her charges upgraded to murder Thursday, as she appeared in court for the second time
[....]
Prosecutors filed the new charge against 27-year-old Angela Grasso, arguing that she could have fled at any moment if she felt her life was threatened by 23-year-old Jose Mendez.

The family of Mendez told
[....]
at court they were still grieving.

"It's just kind of hard. We've lost people in the past but never anyone executed, so this is difficult," said Jose's brother, Victor Mendez.
[....]
Grasso shot and killed Jose Mendez during a car ride earlier this month.

She claimed he repeatedly threatened to kill her and her family. When they drove past a Wendy's restaurant on Prospect Avenue in Hartford, she said that was her only opportunity to get away.

That's when she said she pulled out her registered gun and shot Jose Mendez in the head.
[....]
Prosecutors argued in court that just 30 minutes prior, surveillance video at a local hospital showed that Grasso had a chance to get away then too.

"Being armed, being in the presence of others - could have gotten out of this situation approximately a half-hour or 40 minutes before Mr. Mendez was killed," said prosecutor Tom Garcia.
[...]
Grasso's lawyer, Walter Hussey, argued the worst threats were made after the hospital,
[....]
"There was an explicit threat - 'I'm going to kill your children.' That's what changed from being at Mount Sinai and being at Wendy's,"
[....]
But the judge didn't agree. As Grasso started to tear up, the judge not only increased her bond to $2 million, but allowed the manslaughter charges to be upgraded to murder.

Victor Mendez said he was relieved.

"I'm speechless," he said. "I'm just happy that justice will finally be served. Her bond was raised. Her charges were changed."
Grasso did enter a not guilty plea. She has also surrendered her gun and permit.

After the court appearance, Grasso was taken back into custody. There's no word if she'll post the new bond.
Court officials said she's due back in court on May 12.
http://www.wfsb.com/story/25330905/bail-bondswoman-charged-with-murdering-boyfriend

This asshole has a long history of threatening women and their children, while I don't agree with shooting him how ans when she did, he is not exactly innocent.

This woman is a bail-bondsman, she had more resources than the average chick getting beat up, she chose not to use them and now she's the one that's going to pay the price. He has a long history of being abusive, I don't buy for one second that she didn't know about his charges.

I don't think she should be charged with murder, she should be charged with manslaughter.

Why the hell was she dating him. She is a bail-bondsman she has all the resources to check him out and have a very good idea of what she was dealing with. I bet that pissed the judge off and I dont think her proffession is going to make her case any easier for her.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Who cares that he's dead. Not me. Every "man" who behaves as this ahole should get one in the head.

I'm feeling very blood thirsty today.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Who cares that he's dead. Not me. Every "man" who behaves as this ahole should get one in the head.

I'm feeling very blood thirsty today.
Maybe that is why she dated him. To go all boondock saints on him lol.

He was a WANGSTA that preyed on women and kids because he knew he would get that ass handed to him if he stood up to a man talkin like vanilla ice! I feel bad for her she will spend a long time in jail trying to protect her babies :(

Don't get me wrong the world is a much better place without Jose Mendez in it. True fact. That being said she didn't have to do him like she did. Threats are one thing but he never put his hands on her and she can't shoot him for what he might do.
Leave his ass alone. She wanted to fuck with this little wannabe knowing damn well what she was getting into. She brought this onto herself IMO.
This is what happens when you don't give a fuck about anyone but yourself. Had she really loved her kids she wouldn't have been with this cocksuck.

Is it wrong that find it hilarious that he texted "Word to my mother" ? I keep hearing Vanilla Ice in my head.....
I sing it my head, but I thought it was word to YOUR mothA, so I found it funnier not even quoting it right.

Guy was a violent dirtbag, but a preemptive murder is still a murder. I don't feel sorry for him, or regret his loss, but everyone has loved ones somewhere.

Back