• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
dxllj8.jpg

Dr. Joyce Bonenberger, Dennis Brough and Trevor Brough
sqggg9.jpg
Autopsy reports released by the Pinal County Sheriff's Office Wednesday show two members of a Casa Grande-area family died of smoke inhalation in a house fire on Dec. 13.
Pathologists, however, could not reach a definitive cause of death for a third family member, Dr. Joyce Bonenberger, who was the chief of surgery at the Casa Grande Regional Medical Center.

"The autopsy reports definitely add further suspicion to this case (and point to) a gigantic puzzle,"
[...]
Autopsies ruled that Dennis Brough, 50, and Trevor Brough, 11, both died from smoke inhalation.

Trevor Brough had naloxone, also known as Narcan, in his system Gaffney said referring to the autopsy report.

"Narcan is a drug that's commonly used by medical personnel to combat when someone is overdosed on heroin, morphine, another type of pain medication," Gaffney said.

Gaffney said though Bonenberger owned a private practice, she wasn't the only one with access to narcotics.

"Her husband was the bookkeeper, the office manager, worked there, so there's access to drugs there,"
[....]
Pathologists said Bonenberger suffered skull fractures, but had no signs of smoke in her lungs.

"She was deceased before the fire began because she never breathed it in," said Gaffney.

Her autopsy report stated Bonenberger tested positive for morphine and codeine.

"The medical examiner's office is not able to give us a cause of death for her,"
[...]
Dr. Frank LoVecchio, co-director of Banner Good Samaritan Poison and Drug Information Center, said at face value, the levels of morphine and codeine in Bonenberger did not appear lethal.

He also pointed out that codeine breaks down into morphine in the body.

While we don't know why Bonenberger's son Trevor had Narcan in his system, a drug used to revive patients who've overdosed on opiates, LoVecchio said it's not uncommon for paramedics and other medical personal to give it to an unconscious patient, just to be safe.

"So, if you pulled somebody out of a fire or pulled somebody out of even a car accident and it seemed obvious they were in a car accident, and, you say look maybe this doesn't make sense, you would commonly give Narcan because it could be life-saving, even though it seemed like maybe they had banged their head because the downside is so low."
[....]
But by the time fire crews arrived, the house
[....]
was engulfed in flames.

"The fire did burn for quite some time in the residence, possibly even several hours before it was ever reported, before neighbors saw the flames," Gaffney said.

Dennis Brough's body was found in the garage, Bonenberger's body was located in the master bedroom face down on the bed and Trevor Brough's body was discovered in a bedroom, PCSO authorities said.
http://www.kpho.com/story/24707810/...to-gigantic-puzzle-in-casa-grande-fire-deaths

sounds like murder suicide to me but will wait for more info

Sounds like you might be right @Whisper. Maybe she was drug addict, they fought and he killed her, doped up the boy to keep him from feeling too much pain, set the house to blow up, burn or whatever he did and he committed suicide. I hope not but that's the way it sounds.

Sad and very strange. It does seem like murder/suicide. Dad found in the garage, son in the bedroom, and wife already dead before the fire.

Im thinking that dad had access to those drugs ( worked in her medical office). Maybe made breakfast for them with liquid morphine in the O.J. She was maybe taking codene for something else, as that stuff is mild. Put them both out.Had the Narcan to "revive" beloved son , after he popped mom in the skull a few times to make sure shes dead, but didn't want son to witness. Either he didn't want her to feel pain, or wanted her non combative( did you see her? she wouldn't go down easy) while he got her a meet and greet with Jesus. Son did not revive. It was too much or took too long to get to him. Everything for naught, dad killed himself.

Sounds like you might be right @Whisper. Maybe she was drug addict, they fought and he killed her, doped up the boy to keep him from feeling too much pain, set the house to blow up, burn or whatever he did and he committed suicide. I hope not but that's the way it sounds.

I think the mom did it, it seems like the dad was trying to escape, since he was in the garage.
I bet she set the fire, away from her, and then intentionally overdosed herself. Caught the house on fire to be sure she got everybody inside, and then overdosed herself.
Pretty messed up, take the easier death and give your child a bad one.

@Cassidy. Couldnt been her. She had morphine in her system, and had serious head trauma. No smoke in her lungs. Dead before fire.

I think the mom did it, it seems like the dad was trying to escape, since he was in the garage.
I bet she set the fire, away from her, and then intentionally overdosed herself. Caught the house on fire to be sure she got everybody inside, and then overdosed herself.
Pretty messed up, take the easier death and give your child a bad one.
I disagree she had blunt force trauma and was dead before the fire the other two were smoke inhalation!?! I could be completely wrong!!!!

Very strange set-up. Logically, either the father or the son would have had to kill the mother who was dead before either, but was the son drugged before or after the mother's death? And who gave him the narcan?

If the son killed his mother and took an overdose afterwards, the father might have returned to find him unconscious, given him narcan, but in that case why burn the place down? We know the son was not dead when the fire started.

If the father killed the mother and gave the son drugs to put him out while he lit the house on fire, why would he also give him narcan?

And if the mother gave the son drugs and the father discovered and killed her, then gave the son narcan, I still do not understand why the fire was set?

The son was not dead when the fire was set, but did someone think that he was?

Dad found mom drugged up and child was unconscious. She was planning a murder suicide. Dad hit's the bitch upside the head and said "what did you do to our son" meanwhile trying to give him Narcan because he believes the child consumed such drugs. In the mean time she had left something in the kitchen and the house caught on fire. Dad tries to escape but not without his kid. Tries and fails & they're all dead :(

Last edited:
Dad found mom drugged up and child was unconscious. She was planning a murder suicide. Trevor hit's the bitch upside the head and said "what did you do to our son" meanwhile trying to give him Narcan because he believes the child consumed such drugs. In the mean time she had left something in the kitchen and the house caught on fire. Dad tries to escape but not without his kid. Tries and fails & they're all dead :(

Possible, I suppose. But I wold have expected them to find the father near the son in that scenario?

He was inhailing too much smoke and waited till the last minute. As he ran out he collapsed.
Indeed plausible. Coroner did mention that the levels of morphine and codeine in her system were not lethal, maybe she had a habit. Or maybe she underestimated her dose.

Either way, Dad might have saved his son if he hadn't taken the time to beat his wife to death.

Indeed plausible. Coroner did mention that the levels of morphine and codeine in her system were not lethal, maybe she had a habit. Or maybe she underestimated her dose.

Either way, Dad might have saved his son if he hadn't taken the time to beat his wife to death.
True,
Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Yep it will probably be interesting the story that forensic guys come up with, and most likely have some elements of all our theories in it.

He was inhailing too much smoke and waited till the last minute. As he ran out he collapsed.

How big an eleven-year old are we talking? I am pretty certain my father would have had no trouble carrying me at eleven. I know some of you breed your children to monster size in the US; but.......

How big an eleven-year old are we talking? I am pretty certain my father would have had no trouble carrying me at eleven. I know some of you breed your children to monster size in the US; but.......
HAHA we do. My 4 year old is 44 lbs. & is super tall, I can hardly pick him up :confused:

My first time chiming in ever, but here's my theory: Both had access to narcotics, right? Dad develops a habit, mom catches him forging scripts, she threatens him with rehab or legal action. Dad, in a moment of I-need-my-fix, bashes her. He realizes what he's done only to be discovered by the son. Dad would rather cover it up, or at least try, rather than have his son see him as a murdering drug addict for the rest of his life.

My first time chiming in ever, but here's my theory: Both had access to narcotics, right? Dad develops a habit, mom catches him forging scripts, she threatens him with rehab or legal action. Dad, in a moment of I-need-my-fix, bashes her. He realizes what he's done only to be discovered by the son. Dad would rather cover it up, or at least try, rather than have his son see him as a murdering drug addict for the rest of his life.

But in that set-up, why would the son end up with narcan in his body as well? Do you think the father had second thoughts?

While we don't know why Bonenberger's son Trevor had Narcan in his system, a drug used to revive patients who've overdosed on opiates, LoVecchio said it's not uncommon for paramedics and other medical personal to give it to an unconscious patient, just to be safe.
"So, if you pulled somebody out of a fire or pulled somebody out of even a car accident and it seemed obvious they were in a car accident, and, you say look maybe this doesn't make sense, you would commonly give Narcan because it could be life-saving, even though it seemed like maybe they had banged their head because the downside is so low."
[....]

So, that can explain the Narcan.

I'm thinking that Dr Bone-in-burger was dominant and controlling and Jeff Foxworthy there broke from the constant pressure of having an accomplished surgeon for a wife. She was taking codeine for something, when Jeff Foxworthy bashed her head in. If she was taking it legitimately, there would be a record of it. Maybe there was narcan in her purse for safety, for her to administer if she ever came across a possible narcotic overdose, but Jeff Foxworthy didn't know if it would effect the kid in some way, so he gave to him before incapacitating him. While the boy was incapacitated, he died of smoke inhalation. Jeff Foxworthy then retreated to the garage to slowly die of smoke inhalation!

The whole story makes no sense. Why wasn't more information released? Was there secondary causes of death or injuries to the boy or Jeff Foxworthy? Why is a surgeon so fat and why is that kid so freaky looking? Mystery abounds on this one

Maybe there was a 4th person who was responsible for the deaths and the fire?

ETA There are more articles about the fire from back in Dec. when it happened. The article we've been discussing here is about the autopsy results. Dr. Joyce was Chief of Surgery at the Casa Grande Regional Medical Center, in addition to her private practice, which was not located in the home.
from Dec. 14, 2013
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...lls-describe-out-fire-kills-pinal-county.html
One of the three people killed in a suspicious house fire in Pinal County was the chief of surgery of the hospital in Casa Grande, hospital officials said Saturday.

In a prepared statement, Casa Grande Regional Medical Center officials said that Dr. Joyce Bonenberger, 51, was killed along her husband, Dennis, and son Trevor.

Police and arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire and authorities have not officially identified the Bonenbergers as the victims who were found in the aftermath of the blaze.

Last edited:
But in that set-up, why would the son end up with narcan in his body as well? Do you think the father had second thoughts?
Ya know, I completely forgot that detail, but possible. He could've realized his son's future was salvageable. It's just an all out straaaannnggge situation.

By the way, I absolutely adore you people!! Been reading the site for years and, dare I say, its a daily ritual at this point

I'm thinking that Dr Bone-in-burger was dominant and controlling and Jeff Foxworthy there broke from the constant pressure of having an accomplished surgeon for a wife. She was taking codeine for something, when Jeff Foxworthy bashed her head in. If she was taking it legitimately, there would be a record of it. Maybe there was narcan in her purse for safety, for her to administer if she ever came across a possible narcotic overdose, but Jeff Foxworthy didn't know if it would effect the kid in some way, so he gave to him before incapacitating him. While the boy was incapacitated, he died of smoke inhalation. Jeff Foxworthy then retreated to the garage to slowly die of smoke inhalation!

The whole story makes no sense. Why wasn't more information released? Was there secondary causes of death or injuries to the boy or Jeff Foxworthy? Why is a surgeon so fat and why is that kid so freaky looking? Mystery abounds on this one

You make me sick. You dont know these people. I actually do/did. How would you like it if this was your friends or family and came here reading this crap. Think before you speak

Back