• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Benighted

My brain hurts
An autistic teenager has been left paralysed after bullies forced him to plunge 50ft from a bridge onto rocks, his family claim.

Joshua Davies, 18, has been told he will never walk again after the shocking alleged attack in Pontypridd, South Wales.

He and a friend were walking by a river when they were chased by a gang of boys, he has told his family.

Joshua climbed onto a steel bridge in an attempt to escape, but the yobs pelted him with stones until he lost his grip and fell.
Mr Morgan told WalesOnline: "Joshua and his friend were walking by the river, when they realised some boys were following them.

"They heard them shout ‘there they are – let’s get them!’ and climbed on to the steel supports of the bridge to get away.

"One of the stones hit Joshua on the shoulder, then another hit him on his heel and he lost his grip and fell," he claims.
According to his family, the 18-year-old has been bullied for the last five years by a group of local boys.
Joshua was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome when he was 14.

"He is very trusting and can be easily manipulated," said Michael.

"He does not always have a sense of danger. We have tried to instil it into him, but you can’t wrap him up in cotton wool, although now I wish we had done."

According to his family, Joshua was attacked earlier this summer when he refused to buy alcohol for a group of local boys.

"He came out of the local corner shop and one of the boys jumped on his back and started hitting him on the back of his head," said Michael.

"That was the only time he defended himself and he was arrested and charged, which made him scared to defend himself again."
On another occasion, his parents claim Joshua was chased into a local supermarket, where a security guard helped him to escape through the back door, while the manager called the police.
He claimed his stepson had approached the police for help on more than 15 occasions, but believed he had not been taken seriously.
Cheryl, who is a full-time carer for her other son Michael, who also has autism, said: "I think this could have been prevented if the police had listened to him."

The teenager is recovering in the University Hospital of Wales where he has undergone three operations, and will not be able to sit up for six weeks.

He will then move to Rookwood Hospital where he is expected to spend the next six months.

Although he has been told he will never walk again, his family say he remains "upbeat".
South Wales police confirmed they have had previous contact with Joshua and his family over previous incidents but said there is currently no evidence linking them with this investigaiton.

Detective Inspector David Peart, said: "I can confirm that South Wales Police responded to allegations of assault on three separate occasions between April 2011 and June 2014.

"Each time, the circumstances surrounding these allegations were fully investigated and appropriate actions were taken in consultation and in full agreement with the complainants.
"The investigation into the incident which took place on Sunday 17th August is ongoing and three youths, two aged 15 and a 16 year-old, have been arrested and are on police bail.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/autistic-teen-left-paralysed-after-4149927
33eleeb.jpg

Om man, I had this title all wrong. I was like "what's wrong with getting so stoned you are paralyzed?".

"That was the only time he defended himself and he was arrested and charged, which made him scared to defend himself again."
This should be a wake up call.
He claimed his stepson had approached the police for help on more than 15 occasions, but believed he had not been taken seriously.
Is this a black eye to the local authorities, or is it just politically correct to protect the local boys from the courts?
Oh, that's right, the British justice system has fallen into the altruistic protection of youth.

This is a horrible tragedy! A young man will never walk again! This is a lot more serious than just another bullying incident. Our youth do not understand the consequences to their actions. All parties involved deserve to be punished by the fullest extent of the law!

@NoBS if I had to guess I'd say police didn't take him seriously because they thought it was "just" bullying. If the family approached the police fifteen times as they say but only three investigations ever took place, that's at least 12 reports that were dismissed. Unfortunately there's still very much an element of "if you ignore them, they'll get bored and stop doing it" in Britain, which of course isn't true at all.

I just can't today, other than to say, send the bullies to me, I will take care of them in a swift and appropriate manner, that may or may not leave them with lifelong injuries and/or disabilities, depending on my mood.

[QUOTE malq, post: 815568, member: 1178"]Om man, I had this title all wrong. I was like "what's wrong with getting so stoned you are paralyzed?".[/QUOTE]

I thought about that when I was writing it but I couldn't figure out a better way to word it...

Wow as if the poor parents didn't have life hard enough raising not one, but TWO unbearably annoying aspergers kids. Holy shit those folks are a pain to be around, couldn't imagine raising one. Now they gotta care for a paralyzed one too?

The animals who did this better not enjoy their harsh British slap on the wrist too much. What are they prob lookin at, probation for 2 weeks, a stern word or two?

but TWO unbearably annoying aspergers kids. Holy shit those folks are a pain to be around, couldn't imagine raising one.
That's an absolutely ignorant statement. Maybe the annoying one is you not the Aspie folks? I know that's what my family has discovered. Dealing with autism isn't that bad, dealing with fucking morons and their preconceived notions of what autism is annoying.

That's an absolutely ignorant statement. Maybe the annoying one is you not the Aspie folks? I know that's what my family has discovered. Dealing with autism isn't that bad, dealing with fucking morons and their preconceived notions of what autism is annoying.

Nah i've had to deal with a number of em in school, and a good friend of mine growing up had a brother with it. They were annoying, and very difficult to work with in school, occasionally quite disruptive too. I don't see why it's a cause to get all pissy anyways. Autism and aspergers often involve a lack of social awareness and a difficulty communicating and moderating ones emotions, all that can understandably make for someone that's quite difficult to be around.

Nah i've had to deal with a number of em in school, and a good friend of mine growing up had a brother with it. They were annoying, and very difficult to work with in school, occasionally quite disruptive too. I don't see why it's a cause to get all pissy anyways. Autism and aspergers often involve a lack of social awareness and a difficulty communicating and moderating ones emotions, all that can understandably make for someone that's quite difficult to be around.
Because it's an ignorant statement and I have a son with Aspbergers. I've had to deal with ignorant ass statements like that for years now.

It's ignorant to say that based on the experiences i've had with em, i think people with aspergers are annoying, at least generally more annoying then the average person(who also will annoy me, cuz i dislike pretty much everyone)?

Get over yourself.

My mother had a medical disorder which made her belch constantly. Some gall bladder issue i believe it was. Was about a year or a little over that before they removed her gall bladder and the incessant, disgusting burping stopped. I would take absolutely no offense to someone saying my mom was a displeasure to be around at best and a vile vomit inducing monster at worst. I might even agree with em.

People are too damn sensitive, especially when it comes to medical ailments.

Maybe instead of assuming that all Aspie sufferers are "annoying" you should educate yourself on their disorder and how to appropriately interact with them? You say that autism effects personal interactions and communication, why not learn how to overcome that? No, because it's easier to say they're annoying and fuck anyone who disagrees with that statement?

How about you get off your high fucking horse, maybe the Aspie folks are acting the way they are because you're a bastard? They can sense that shit and it effects their behavior.

Because it's an ignorant statement and I have a son with Aspbergers. I've had to deal with ignorant ass statements like that for years now.
To me, the statement sounded...young. The descriptive words chosen come off tactless.

What I think, as a parent who has children who go to school with kids with autism or Asperger's is we all need education and knowledge on how best to approach someone who has it because our country's population of those with it is booming. And soon they'll be adults. We could have an autistic President someday.
Bullies will be around forever...but if a person knows better, they do better & I think we have not had enough education on Autism in the schools, etc.

EDITED! I meant JackBurton's statement, not yours Krystal!!!

Last edited:
@TKaz , I agree that educating folks would help. The school district my son is in has done quite a good job at that.

I get pissed when a blanket statement is made about how awful and annoying Aspie folks are, it's funny, if you treat my son like he's a wondow licking retard then he will give it back to you 110%, he's not stupid, and sometimes his behavior feeds off what others are projecting to him. Aspie folks are far from stupid.

Maybe instead of assuming that all Aspie sufferers are "annoying" you should educate yourself on their disorder and how to appropriately interact with them? You say that autism effects personal interactions and communication, why not learn how to overcome that? No, because it's easier to say they're annoying and fuck anyone who disagrees with that statement?

How about you get off your high fucking horse, maybe the Aspie folks are acting the way they are because you're a bastard? They can sense that shit and it effects their behavior.

Maybe it's not my own interactions that were always the source of my annoyance. Perhaps on many occasions it was listening to them dealing and interacting with others. Wouldn't matter how amazing i get at interacting with every single person on this earth, i can't control how those around me choose to engage.

And i never said these folks were stupid. Although when it comes to this thread, the one son in the article req full time care by the mother, so he prob is.

if you treat my son like he's a wondow licking retard then he will give it back to you 110%, he's not stupid, and sometimes his behavior feeds off what others are projecting to him. Aspie folks are far from stupid.

Actually, that's how all kids are I think. If I yell - my kids yell. If I'm calm, they're calm. Whatever we put out there, they absorb.

But anyway, yeah - far from stupid. Because they can be such critical thinkers, that's why it's totally plausible we could have a leader someday with it. They bring something extra to the table that can be quite beneficial in leadership. The issue is the masses who feel they cannot.

It's ignorant to say that based on the experiences i've had with em, i think people with aspergers are annoying, at least generally more annoying then the average person(who also will annoy me, cuz i dislike pretty much everyone)?

Get over yourself.

My mother had a medical disorder which made her belch constantly. Some gall bladder issue i believe it was. Was about a year or a little over that before they removed her gall bladder and the incessant, disgusting burping stopped. I would take absolutely no offense to someone saying my mom was a displeasure to be around at best and a vile vomit inducing monster at worst. I might even agree with em.

AS/Autism is a "medical ailment." Do keep going. I'm enjoying your learned, academic tutilage.:crack:

I think it's awesome that even with his injuries and the road ahead, this child keeps a positive attitude.
Anger, resentment, revenge, all would be perfectly expected feelings, but nope, not him. What a great kid.

OMG....how sad for him to have reached out for help so many times only to be ignored and tragedy struck.

I think it's awesome that even with his injuries and the road ahead, this child keeps a positive attitude.
Anger, resentment, revenge, all would be perfectly expected feelings, but nope, not him. What a great kid.

He is probably just delighted that he will be spending the next six months or more far out of reach of the bullies......

Last edited:
I love that kids tie! I hope he keeps his style and his heart (I think he will) and I hope that he lives the rest of his life as well as anyone can. I hope that the kids who did this grow the fuck up and spend the rest of their lives grateful that they were born "normal" and that no one ever robbed them of their ability to move freely.

I also wanted to say I went to school with three black kids so I feel that based on that experience I am somewhat of an expert on how "they" act, also went to school with an Asian kid so I know all about them too:penguin:

@JackBurton
You truly are an ignorant and repulsive little Sod aren't ya?
How about you get over yourself? You ever think it that PEOPLE don't like you instead of you not liking people?

On to the topic:
This poor kid has been bullied for 5+ years, has been threatened, beaten, and who knows what else and the cops haven't done a damn thing about it?
So now that he is PARALYZED whats going to happen? The cops gunna just sit there with their thumbs up their asses wondering which way is up?

People with autism (Many kinds) can be extremely intelligent! They are wonderful people to talk to and always so sweet!
I feel for this family, deeply.

He is an amazing kid though. Keeping his head high and his spirits higher!

While I wouldn't go so far as @JackBurton I will say I do kind of understand where he is coming from. I have worked with children for the last few years in a public setting and having to balance accommodating "normal" (sorry, I know that's not the best term to use) children with those who have special needs is very, very difficult. While I understand we have to make accommodations and even exceptions for those with lower functioning autistic and Aspie kids, and even those with ADHD - which my own daughter struggles with - it can be very hard when severely disabled children are expected to be integrated with those who have no special needs. I have mostly dealt with 4yo and under and for a 2 or 3yo to understand why a "big kid" (15yo marching around the room shouting and waving their arms and being basically very scary in the eye of a pre-schooler) is almost impossible. We have had to ask two sets of parents (one of a 15yo, one of a 2yo) to be very selective about when they bring their children in as they are seriously adversely affecting the mental states of the other children who attend our programs. We have had to ask them specifically not to attend certain programs and while we felt horrible doing it, we felt we had no choice because frankly they were scaring the other kids.

There are times when my own kiddo's ADHD gets so out of control I have to send her to her room to calm down because I feel like if I have to deal with it any longer I'm going to end up doing something I regret. I hate to admit that because I love her dearly but there are times when I feel like my head is going to explode.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way, shape or form trying to justify or defend what these little assholes did. They should have been taught that if you fear or even are disgusted by someone's disability, you fucking WALK AWAY from it. Yes, there are people who can't deal with a whole slew of disabilities, both mental and physical, and bullying is never an appropriate way to deal with it. Another area in which we need way more education.

Yep, re: I.Q. (the real standardized I.Q. test which includes a physical, or "hands on" battery, not the fake bullshit tests you find online), most Aspy's and a few other Spectrum Disorder kids test well above average into the "genius" range. There's more Asperger's at a MENSA convention than there were syllables in a certain person's previous posts, combined.

ETA: It truly is unfortunate many people aren't more educated about Asperger's and other Autistic S.D.'s. Bill Gates and numerous other Aspy geniuses wear their "ailments" loud and proud.

Last edited:
It truly is unfortunate many people aren't more educated about Asperger's and other Autistic S.D.'s. Bill Gates and numerous other Aspy geniuses wear their "ailments" loud and proud.
Newton, Einstein, Bill Murray. It made my monster so damn proud to know that some of the smartest men EVER were just like him.:smug:

Mine, too! They may never be accused of being the class clown, but who do the class clowns go to when they need their physics homework done correctly, lol?

Back