• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Amandascott

Police in Connecticut said Monday that the remains of at least seven people have been found in an area that they described as a dumping ground for a serial killer.
Authorities said that the remains of three women had previously been found in the area behind a strip mall in New Britain in 2007. New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell said Monday that the remains of a fourth woman had been identified, while the other remains had been turned over to the state medical examiner.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/1...7-victims-found-in-connecticut-serial-killer/

Yusssss, I need a juicy serial killer story.
I'm going to be looking into this one.
Unfortunately there is little information out there about this. They have been pulling remains from behind this strip-mall, in a very thickly settled area for years now.

One woman was shot in the head, and they found her mother shot in the head just across the Mass border, they have linked her husband to the murders and he's now on trial. The rest they say they have a single suspect who is already in prison for another crime, but they're not saying much about it. It seems that the only "new" information that comes out in this case is when they unearth a few more bodies every couple of years. It has been anti-climactic and disappointing, to say the least:pout:

Are they uncovering new bodies or all the bodies old and they just hadn't dug it all up yet?

I'm pretty sure they're all from the 90's and early 2000's. As I said, aside from the discovery of the bodies and releasing some identities of some of the dead women many years later, there's been little of interest said about this case. Newspaper reporting in the Hartford market is very lackluster, and few stories get followed and updated with any real vigor. I think it's the lack of newspaper competition in this one horse shithole, and television only has time for an occasional blurb about anything.

howell_william.jpg

On January 30, 2007, William Devin Howell pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of first-degree manslaughter in connection with the death of 33-year-old Nilsa Arizmendi who was last seen in Howell's van, although her body was not found.

While serving a 15-year sentence for Arizmendi's death, police in New Britain, Connecticut began finding human remains of seven individuals on a 15-acre wooded parcel behind a strip mall - three in 2007 and four more in April 2015.

Howell was named a suspect in the serial killings after the 2015 discoveries.

Here is the latest development in the case of William Devin Howell:

Convict May Be Serial Killer
May 11, 2015 - A man who is serving 15 years in prison for the murder of a Connecticut woman whose blood was found in his van, along with the blood of an unidentified person, is suspected in the deaths of seven people whose remains were found behind a New Britain strip mall.

William Devin Howell has been named as the suspect in the investigation into the slayings of three people whose bodies were found in 2007 and another four whose remains were discovered last month with the help of a specially trained FBI cadaver dog.

Although Howell has yet to be charged with any of the murders, or even officially named as a suspect by authorities, several local media outlets have reported that the 45-year-old is the main suspect in the case.

Police have not said, however, how Howell was linked to the seven murders.

Arrested in North Carolina
On April 22, 2004, Howell was arrested in North Carolina on an unrelated charge and his van was seized pursuant to a search warrant issued in Connecticut.

DNA evidence found in the van was linked to Arizmendi, who was last seen getting into Howell's van to purchase drugs in July 2003.

On May 13, 2005, Howell was arrested in Hampton, Virginia on a fugitive warrant and returned to Connecticut where he was charged with first-degree murder in Arizmendi's death. On January 30, 2007, Howell accepted a plea deal and entered an Alford plea on the lesser charge of manslaughter.

In an Alford plea, the defendant does not admit guilt but agrees that prosecutors have enough evidence to convict. Howell was sentenced to 15 years.

Skeletal Remains Found
That same year, a hunter found skeletal remains in the wooded area behind a strip mall in New Britain. It took the state forensic lab years to do so, but the three victims were identified as Diane Cusack, 53; Joyvaline Martinez, 23; and Jane Menard, 40.

Each of the victims were last seen alive in 2003. They were all known to have substance abuse problemsand they all frequented the same downtown area in New Britain, police said.

Cusack was never reported missing because she had been out of touch with her family for several years. Martinez was reported missing when she failed to show up for her own birthday party at her mother's home where she was living. Menard, a substance abuse counselor, was reported missing in October 2003, as was Martinez.

Howell Worked in the Area
During the same 2003 time frame, Howell was working as a handyman and cut lawns for homes and businesses in Wethersfield, Hartford, New Britain, and West Hartford.

After the hunter found the initial remains, police returned to the 15-acre wooded area behind the strip mall at 593 Hartford Road each year to search, but this year a dog from the FBI was used and was able to locate the remains of four more individuals on April 28.

One of the victims has been identified as Melanie Ruth Camilini, a 29-year-old mother of two, who also disappeared in 2003. The other three remains have yet to be identified.

One of the remaining victims is believed to be a man who lived and dressed as a woman, media sources said.

Authorities have not said if they suspect that Arizmendi is one of the victims recently found in the swampy, wooded area about 13 miles from Hartford.

http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/p/michael_ross.htm

Oh wow. Serial killer. Fucking a man. Fucking a. Always gives me the shivers when something like this breaks open. That one person can be so uncompromisingly evil.

Last edited:
I am outraged this waste of air has the same surname as MY branch of the family. My Daddy and my uncles were war heroes, good sons, good husbands and awesome Dads. Our men and some women serve or have served in the military and are damn proud of it! We go Marine, but we have some RA and a squid!
Our ladies are are strong; we are the heart of the Family; the story tellers, genealogists, source of family history. we are the comforters; the go-to in times of trouble and/or grief. And we don't put up with foolishness (except for me and Uncle Johnny); but we start a lot of shit.

He better change his damn name.

I'ma tell the Family about him...bad things man, b-a-a-a-ad things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a feelings person! I hate science...Loathe it really. But DNA as an investigative tool is really something else. Those girls and that lady boy, they got you man. From beyond the grave they got you. I hope those ghosts dance in your cell every night.

Update from Crimedaily & About.com:

On January 30, 2007, William Devin Howell pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of first-degree manslaughter in connection with the death of 33-year-old Nilsa Arizmendi who was last seen in Howell's van, although her body was not found.

While serving a 15-year sentence for Arizmendi's death, police in New Britain, Connecticut began finding human remains of seven individuals on a 15-acre wooded parcel behind a strip mall - three in 2007 and four more in April 2015.

Howell was named a suspect in the serial killings after the 2015 discoveries.

Here is the latest development in the case of William Devin Howell:

Howell Indicted for Six Murders
Sept. 18, 2015 - A man long suspected in the deaths of seven people whose remains were found in the woods behind a Connecticut strip mall has now been officially charged in six of their murders. William Devin Howell is already serving time for the manslaughter of one of the victims.

Howell was charged with capital felony murder and felony murder in the deaths of the other six victims, all of whom were connected to drug use and vanished in 2003 when Howell was working in the area mowing lawns and doing odd jobs.

The first three victims were found in 2007 behind the New Britain strip mall. There were Diane Cusack, 53, of New Britain; Joyvaline Martinez, 24, of East Hartford; and Mary Jane Menard, 40, of New Britain.

A search with cadaver dogs in April turned up four other victims: Melanie Ruth Camilini, 29, of Seymour; Marilyn Gonzalez, 26, of Waterbury; Danny Lee Whistnant, 44, of New Britain; and Nilsa Arizmendi, 33, of Wethersfield.

Howell was convicted in Arizmendi's death after her blood was found in his van after it was searched in North Carolina in 2004.

If convicted, Howell will not face the death penalty because Connecticut has abolished capital punishment.

Suspected Serial Killer Eyed in Florida Death
Aug. 16, 2015 - A man serving a sentence for manslaughter who is suspected of being a serial killer in Connecticut has now been named as a person of interest in the case of a Florida woman who was killed in 1991.

William Devin Howell, suspected in the deaths of seven people whose remains were found behind a strip mall in Connecticut, is also being investigated in the death of 21-year-old April Stone whose body was found Jan. 16, 1991 in Seminole County, Florida.

Florida officials admit they have no direct evidence linking Howell to Stone's death, except for the fact that he was in the area at the time of her death.

"I don't think there is much there to link him other than he was in the area," Seminole County detective Robert Jaynes told reporters. "There is some evidence we can process that we can try to match to Mr. Howell and that's it."

Howell's Former Home Searched
June 25, 2015 - The investigation into the deaths of seven people found behind a Connecticut strip mall has led to the search of a home in Virginia where the main suspect used to live. Investigators last week began searching a residence in Hampton, Virginia where key suspect William Devin Howell once lived.

Using a FBI police dog, searchers went to the home - about 500 miles south of the New Britain, Connecticut strip mall where the seven bodies were found - to search for possible clues in the case.

Howell, who is currently serving 15 years for the deaths of one of the people found in the woods behind the strip mall, has not been charged with any additional crimes in connection with the deaths of Marilyn Gonzalez, 26; Diane Cusack, 53; Joyvaline Martinez, 24; Mary Jane Menard, 40; Melanie Ruth Camilini, 29; and Danny Lee Whistnant, 44.

Another Murder Victim Identified
June 8, 2015 - Another murder victim found in the woods behind a strip mall in Connecticut has been identified as a mother of two who vanished 12 years ago. Authorities said the remains of the latest victim to be identified belong to Marilyn Mendez Gonzalez of Waterbury.

The 26-year-old Gonzalez disappeared from her home on May 15, 2003. She was the mother of two young girls. Police said if she was alive today, she would be a grandmother.

Gonzales is the second victim who vanish from Waterbury. Melanie Camilini, who lived in Seymour, disappeared while in Waterbury.

The deaths have all been linked to William Devin Howell, police said, but no charges have been filed.

Convict May Be Serial Killer
May 11, 2015 - A man who is serving 15 years in prison for the murder of a Connecticut woman whose blood was found in his van, along with the blood of an unidentified person, is suspected in the deaths of seven people whose remains were found behind a New Britain strip mall.

William Devin Howell has been named as the suspect in the investigation into the slayings of three people whose bodies were found in 2007 and another four whose remains were discovered last month with the help of a specially trained FBI cadaver dog.

Although Howell has yet to be charged with any of the murders, or even officially named as a suspect by authorities, several local media outlets have reported that the 45-year-old is the main suspect in the case.

Police have not said, however, how Howell was linked to the seven murders.

Arrested in North Carolina
On April 22, 2004, Howell was arrested in North Carolina on an unrelated charge and his van was seized pursuant to a search warrant issued in Connecticut. DNA evidence found in the van was linked to Arizmendi, who was last seen getting into Howell's van to purchase drugs in July 2003.

On May 13, 2005, Howell was arrested in Hampton, Virginia on a fugitive warrant and returned to Connecticut where he was charged with first-degree murder in Arizmendi's death. On January 30, 2007, Howell accepted a plea deal and entered an Alford plea on the lesser charge of manslaughter.

In an Alford plea, the defendant does not admit guilt but agrees that prosecutors have enough evidence to convict. Howell was sentenced to 15 years.

Skeletal Remains Found
That same year, a hunter found skeletal remains in the wooded area behind a strip mall in New Britain. It took the state forensic lab years to do so, but the three victims were identified as Diane Cusack, 53; Joyvaline Martinez, 23; and Jane Menard, 40.

Each of the victims were last seen alive in 2003. They were all known to have substance abuse problems and they all frequented the same downtown area in New Britain, police said.

Cusack was never reported missing because she had been out of touch with her family for several years. Martinez was reported missing when she failed to show up for her own birthday party at her mother's home where she was living. Menard, a substance abuse counselor, was reported missing in October 2003, as was Martinez.

Howell Worked in the Area
During the same 2003 time frame, Howell was working as a handyman and cut lawns for homes and businesses in Wethersfield, Hartford, New Britain, and West Hartford.

After the hunter found the initial remains, police returned to the 15-acre wooded area behind the strip mall at 593 Hartford Road each year to search, but this year a dog from the FBI was used and was able to locate the remains of four more individuals on April 28.

One of the victims has been identified as Melanie Ruth Camilini, a 29-year-old mother of two, who also disappeared in 2003. The other three remains have yet to be identified.

One of the remaining victims is believed to be a man who lived and dressed as a woman, media sources said.

Authorities have not said if they suspect that Arizmendi is one of the victims recently found in the swampy, wooded area about 13 miles from Hartford.

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/fl/The-William-Devin-Howell-Case.htm

I truly do not understand why, after finding three bodies, they waited 8-9 years before sweeping the area with cadaver dogs. Why? Just why did they not bother before then??

I agree with the length of the investigation seeming long! If they'd discovered some of that earlier, he would've been eligible (and likely received) the death penalty (as I understand it, although they no longer have it, the sentence stands for those who already received it.)

And there were a lot of "according to other inmates" statements in there. I don't know, but I'd take anything I heard from "other inmates" with a huge grain of salt. Juries also notoriously disallow anything from that source.

I'm glad they caught the fat fuck, of course. But I hope they got enough evidence to keep him where he is until he's dead.

According to the link below, it sounds as if part of the problem was the terrain.

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...urial-site-william-howell-20150628-story.html

Thanks for that, it was clearly a much tougher terrain than I'd imagined! Personally I think that would be all the more reason to bring in dogs to do searches, since they find it much easier to cover difficult ground than humans do. But the police really went all out to solve this thing, so I retract my earlier snark at them!

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...n-Serial-Murders-Pleads-Guilty-443287753.html

A former drifter charged with killing six people in Connecticut in 2003 and disposing of the bodies behind a New Britain strip mall has pleaded guilty Friday to killing five women and one man.

William Devin Howell, a 47-year-old native of Hampton, Virginia, was already serving a 15-year prison sentence for manslaughter in the killing of a seventh victim, 33-year-old Nilsa Arizmendi of Wethersfield.

Howell will be sentenced on Nov. 17. He is expected to be sentenced to 360 years in prison, or six consecutive life sentences, according to the state Division of Criminal Justice. Of that time, 150 years is mandatory for state law.

Arizmendi and the six other victims were found buried behind a strip mall.

The other victims were identified as: Joyvaline Martinez, 24, of East Hartford; Diane Cusack, 53, of New Britain; Mary Jane Menard, 40, of New Britain; Melanie Ruth Camilini, 29, of Seymour; Marilyn Gonzalez, 26, of Waterbury; and Danny Lee Whistnant, 44, of New Britain.

Howell sexually assaulted three of the women and kept one of the bodies in his van for two weeks, sleeping next to the body and calling the victim his "baby," according to an arrest warrant affidavit. Howell also told a cellmate "there was a monster inside of him that just came out" and described himself as a "sick ripper," according to the warrant.

Source: Connecticut Serial Killer Could Face 360-Year Sentence - NECN http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...rs-Pleads-Guilty-443287753.html#ixzz4sBD42nxJ
Follow us: @necn on Twitter | NECN on Facebook

Wonder why he killed the dude. Robbery or was it one of those tranvestite types hookin for drug money.

What why ... ? I'd be way more impressed with a retro outfit and maybe a rainbow on it .... you say things sometimes that totally make me rethink you. Cause now you sound scary. <3
If you lived closer, i would find you and hug you... but ya know, gas is fucking expensive. Plus, i have to feed my horses everyday.

( free hugs because that van screams serial killer. I bet if i googled tge words *van serial killer a picture of that van would be there)
[doublepost=1505160992,1505160756][/doublepost]Sure as shit.

Try it, google van serial killer and then click on images.
Theres some others that say free candy. Lol

An East Coast drifter, who authorities say killed seven people in Connecticut in 2003 while driving a van he called the 'murder mobile', has been sentenced to life in prison.

William Devin Howell, 47, was sentenced to 360 years in prison by a New Britain, Connecticut superior court judge on Friday, after pleading guilty to six of the murders in September.

The Hampton, Virginia, native was previously convicted of manslaughter in the death of one victim, Nilsa Arizmendi, and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Victims' relatives who spoke during the emotional hearing on Friday had angry words for Howell and described how the killings devastated their lives.

The killer, a native of Hampton, Virginia, apologized in court, saying his acts were 'monstrous, cowardly and selfish'.

Howell is believed to be the most prolific serial killer in Connecticut history - not counting mass shootings like the Newtown school massacre.

The bodies of his victims, six women and a man, were found buried in a wooded area behind a strip mall at 539 Hartford Road in New Britain. Three bodies were found in 2007, and the other remains were discovered in 2015 when authorities went back to the site.

All seven victims disappeared in 2003, when Howell was mowing lawns and working other odd jobs in central Connecticut.

They were identified as: Joyvaline Martinez, 24; Diane Cusack, 53; Mary Jane Menard, 40; Melanie Ruth Camilini, 29; Marilyn Gonzalez, 26; Danny Lee Whistnant, 44; and Arizmendi, 33.

Howell sexually assaulted three of the women and kept one of the bodies in his van for two weeks, sleeping next to the body and calling the victim his 'baby', according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Howell also told a cellmate 'there was a monster inside of him that just came out', described himself as a 'sick ripper' and called his van the 'murder mobile', according to the warrant.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-killer-William-Devin-Howell-gets-life.html

Back