• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Shaula

gatlinburg.jpg

GATLINBURG, Tenn. -- A Tennessee couple whose 2-year-old son died after being left in a vehicle outside a Gatlinburg home overnight have been arrested on murder charges.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports Sevier County District Attorney General Jimmy Dunn said in a news release that a grand jury returned presentments against Jade Elizabeth Phillips and Anthony Dyllan Phillips.

They were arrested Monday and are charged with first-degree murder committed in perpetration of aggravated child neglect, first-degree murder committed in perpetration of aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect and aggravated child abuse.

Gatlinburg police found the boy dead just before 2 p.m. on July 14 after one of the parents called 911 and reported leaving the child in the vehicle overnight.

CBS affiliate WVLT reports Jade Phillips is the daughter of Jerry Kirkman, the mayor of Westmoreland, a town northeast of Nashville. The 2-year-old was reportedly his grandchild. The station reports Kirkman owns the Gatlinburg home where the boy was found dead.

(I don't know if I did this right, help me out if I made mistakes with this post :x)

But seriously? I know there's not a lot of information here but I feel like there's definitely more going on with this case. You don't just "accidentally" leave a 2 year old in your car and then realize it the next afternoon. -_-

What's your take on the wording of the charges?

Considering the way it was handled, and how they were so quick on pressing charges against this couple they had to have known other things going on. There have been other cases like this around this county that weren't handled as quickly as this one had been, or the parents had been let off with lighter charges.

Aside from that, every news outlet's report on this case is very brief, but some small details just make the whole story seem a lot more questionable, so I'm waiting to hear an update on this.

How do you not realize you didn't put your 2 year old to bed last night? Or feed him breakfast? Or lunch?

I bet I know the answer to those questions..........I hope they're both curled in the corner of their jail cells going through the worst withdrawal pains ever.

How do you not realize you didn't put your 2 year old to bed last night? Or feed him breakfast? Or lunch?

I bet I know the answer to those questions..........I hope they're both curled in the corner of their jail cells going through the worst withdrawal pains ever.

Exactly! At that age its pretty much impossible to leave a kid in the car. Most 2 year olds are pretty fussy at times and seriously, I can't imagine how you couldn't notice a toddler sitting strapped in his booster seat. There seemed to be no urgency for them to check on how he was doing, so it just seems way too unlikely to me that they genuinely just "forgot" him in there.

Even if you momentarily left him in the car as soon as you entered the house you'd notice immediately.

Mayor dad parking them at the Gatlinburg house would assure him two things, there was a roof over his grandchild's head, and they were out of his constituents view.

You don't get murder one if there's any chance it was an accident, not without a backup charge of manslaughter, unless they're holding that one back in case murder one doesn't stick. There's got to be either evidence of previous abuse, or premeditation.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...inburg-hot-car-case-charged-murder/506968001/

The Phillips are charged under a section of the first-degree murder statute known as felony murder. Under that law, the state must only show the child was killed as a result of the felony crimes of abuse and neglect, not that they planned to kill the child.

There is no difference in penalty. A person convicted of first-degree murder is subject to the death penalty, life without parole or life with a mandatory 51-year prison term.

USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee reporter Megan Boehnke contributed to this story.

Two other people also arrested at the Westmoreland home, no names published....wonder if it's the mayor?

My guess would be that they were partying with the other two people, and didn't want the child interfering with their good time. It's possible this case is similar to that one in Texas last month, where the two little girls were left in the car overnight so mom could party. It might have been a tolerable temperature when they left him in the car, if it was evening or night, but once the sun came up the next day the vehicle would have heated up fast. Since they could not be bothered to get up and check on him until two in the afternoon, the kid cooked.

Lock 'em in the car overnight... the new babysitter.

The mother of a 2-year-old boy who died after being left overnight in a car in Gatlinburg has been sentenced to four years of probation.

Jade Phillips was sentenced to four years of probation for child neglect. She and her husband Anthony Dyllan Phillips were initially charged first-degree murder committed in the perpetration of aggravated child neglect, first-degree murder committed in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and aggravated child abuse.

Anthony Dyllan Phillips had already been sentenced to 15 years in prison in this case including 12 years for attempted aggravated child neglect and three years for reckless homicide.

The Gatlinburg Police Department said the child’s mother called 911 around 2 p.m. on July 14 that a child had been left in a car overnight. The police chief says it appears the parents accidentally left the little boy in the car, but it’s unclear how long he was in there.

Why did dad get 15 years in prison and mom got probation? How is this more his fault than hers if they were both partying, left the kid in the car, and overslept the next day?!? Bizarre.

Also, have we started Baked Baby season 2021, or is it too early? Did we skip the 2020 season completely because of the pandemic? That would be a nice silver lining.

WTF .. there’s a hell of a lot of difference in that sentencing .. one looses a chunk of life and freedom .. the other is inconvenienced and free to make and bake more kids .. my kk is around a year and a half .. and we wake up at around six or seven every morning (minus the mornings I wake up at four and cannot go back to sleep and he sleeps in until eight) and he’s chatting away and climbing all over me .. he’s begging for strawberries and blueberries - waffles or donuts day .. my little.. he’s very speech delayed .. but he’s a chatter box .. and active .. there’s no way in hell they made it all the way until two in the afternoon without noticing bitty wasn’t everywhere unless they were crashed out from a binge .. even in my using days I was up early with the kids and you learn your limitations so that you can be a functional addict and kid yourself you can have the best of both worlds….

Last edited:
Back