• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
The plot thickens.

No bail for woman who says she shot man by accident after rough sex
Anita Smithey of Ovideo is accused of fatally shooting estranged husband Robert Cline after telling him to stop being so rough during sex.

SANFORD — Anita Smithey and her husband may not have been able to live together, but they still had sex regularly.

They were in bed early Tuesday morning when, Oviedo police allege, she shot him two or three times.

She told police that Robert Cline III, 41, was being too rough, that she told him to stop, he didn't, so she got a .38-caliber handgun, pointed it at his chest, warned him again, but he only laughed and leaned toward her, according to her arrest report.

The gun went off accidentally, she told police, and still he did not get off her, so she pulled the trigger twice more quickly, wounding him at least once more.

Cline then rolled off the bed and onto the floor, and she got a knife and stabbed herself in the belly to make it look like she had acted in self-defense, according to her arrest report.

Smithey, 41, appeared before Seminole County Judge Ralph Eriksson this afternoon. The judge ordered her held without bail and he found her indigent.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ccused-shooting-husba20100505,0,2614343.story

Former because she has now been arrested? Or former cause she left/was fired?

was she crazy at the workplace too? lol

She left a while back. Some people kept in touch with her.

I don't remember her being particularly crazy but you never know.

OOO, Florida is all about Stand Your Ground lately.

This is of course speculation, but word on the street was that they had split up because he was abusive, so the idea that she was defending herself is not unreasonable. It doesn't explain why the defense originally went with "accidental shooting" and then changed to "Stand Your Ground," and it doesn't answer the question of why she was continuing to let him in her house after they'd split up, but then, what do I know?

x3zgq9.jpg

Anita Smithey at her murder trial Wednesday​
Murder defendant Anita Smithey confided to a friend that the night she killed her estranged husband, they had played "date rape" with a knife, the friend told jurors
[...]
Toraina Stewart, a friend who took in Smithey after her arrest, said that Smithey told her that Robert Cline III like to role play "date rape," that they did it more than once and that they used a pocket knife
[...]
They did that the night Smithey shot Cline, Stewart said the defendant told her, and they used a knife.
[...]
Stewart also testified that Smithey told her the game had ended earlier in the evening, that Cline then turned violent, frightening her and raped her.

Smithey, 46
[...]
charged with second-degree murder. She says she killed Cline May 4, 2010, in self-defense while he was raping her.

Prosecutors contend that she and Cline had consensual sex, that she killed Cline because he refused to go home then she spent at least an hour coming up with the rape story and staging the crime scene – her bedroom - before she called for help.
During that gap, she stabbed herself in the side
[.....]
She told Oviedo police that, yes, she did stab herself but that was during an interrogation in which they repeatedly made that accusation.
[...]
has since called that a false confession, saying she caved in to police pressure.

Just before the lunch break, Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. ruled that prosecutors could play that portion of the videotaped interrogation for jurors.
[....]
a firefighter told jurors that Smithey pretended to cry in the ambulance as she was being taken from the house where she had just killed her estranged husband.

"In layman's terms, crocodile tears," said Peter Faraci, a retired
[....]
firefighter.
[...]
told jurors that when he checked Cline for a pulse, "He was cold."
[....]
also testified that the blood on the floor near Cline's head and neck had coagulated.

Cline was face-down on the bedroom floor, Faraci said, and Smithey was on the sidewalk outside.

When he first saw her, she was "sobbing and breathing heavily,"
[...]
She had a stab wound to her side that was 2 inches wide and 1/8 inch deep,
[...]
A photo of her at South Seminole Hospital shows a bloody piece of gauze over the wound.
[...]
testified that after she was loaded into his ambulance, she appeared to hyperventilate and pass out, but he suggested that was an act.
[....]
prosecutors showed jurors a string of text messages that Cline sent Smithey in the days leading up to the homicide. In them he apologized for the breakup of their marriage, asked her for a date and sent repeated messages, asking her to let him come over.

Smithey has portrayed Cline as a controlling, abusive, sex-obsessed man. She moved out three months before the homicide, but they kept in touch and on Mondays got together for sex
[...]
The Monday before the homicide, Cline texted or called her more than 30 times, according to defense attorney Rick Jancha.
[....]
say that by showing jurors the couple's text messages, panel members will see that Cline and Smithey were sometimes playful, that Cline tried to be helpful, for example offered to pick up things at the store for her, and offered to go to counseling.

"Still wanna date nite…?" he texted her on April 24.
[....]
days later, he accused her of picking a fight with him because he had had a phone conversation with another woman.

"I don't want to fight," he wrote. "I just wntd to say I'm sorry …. Xoxo."

But the messages also show that a few hours before the slaying, Cline sent Smithey text messages asking her to let him come over, and she said no.

Jurors did not see them but the night he was killed, Cline also was texting another woman, - "Hey, beautiful" - asking her for a date and making a reference to multiple orgasms.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ithey-murder-trial-friday-20141114-story.html

:confused:
So they role played "date rape" using a knife earlier in the evening, then he turned violent and raped her? SMH lady.....

Since when does date rape involve a knife? Date rape is when you get a girl drunk or drugged up and bang em while they're unconscious. It's not some violent, hold a knife to someones throat and pull em into a creepy van type of deal.

Her story is so convoluted and full of lies ..... justice has been served here.

I cannot stand technicalities. She faked her wounds and stabbed HERSELF, and the defense managed to get that admission thrown out. But then her defense screwed up at the end, and played the 911 call from her, which allowed prosecutors to bring that into evidence in their closing statements. It very clearly states that she killed him, and then inflicted her own wounds to try and cover up her murder ..... and it almost got denied to the jury. I think there was other pretty damning evidence anyway; however, there doesn't seem to be a clear motive, which I still do not get. Aside from the fact that she is a sociopath (anybody who'd stage a 'rape', and scratch and cut their own face and neck, and stab themself in the side, are most definitely a sociopath. Maybe she couldn't deal with the thought of him ever moving on from her? Yet she didn't want to be with him either? As far as I have read/seen about the case, there was no life insurance to collect. There was no gain to be made by his death, aside from him just no longer being alive.

It isn't ambiguous that she murdered him, in cold blood, without provocation. Yet, it is ambiguous as to WHY she did it. Only she knows. And she won't stop with her innocence hyena crying, which, by the way, was the most obnoxious, self serving, poor pitiful me cry I have ever heard. She wasn't sorry for what she did. She was sorry she got busted for what she did. Very terrible person. And now, apparently, she is helping women behind bars - assumably 'battered' women like her .... even though there is ZERO evidence she was ever abused by her husband. It is exactly what you would expect a sociopath to do I suppose.
[doublepost=1465742682,1465742260][/doublepost]
Well, I guess the jury was feeling the same way that I was with her story.

From the very beginning of the show I was skeptical of her .... and they started off painting their happy life, talking with her, and seeming to paint her a a normal person. But something about the whole thing sat wrong with me. I told my wife 'watch, she's going to admit she beat herself up and stabbed herself' ..... I just saw it coming. She comes across as a sociopath.

And her obnoxious whaling when they found her guilt, and her subsequent wheeling out in her chair ..... give me a break! You had it in you to shoot a man, THREE times, IN THE BACK and then stab yourself. Nobody buys your act here. Only tears are for yourself too - for getting caught and not getting away with killing your husband! Very disgusting person. And her best friend and HER tears over the 'injustice' .... and her son's unwavering support for mommy killer - they came across as very transparent. Not sure they even believed what they were saying themselves. I know nobody else did, including the judge!
[doublepost=1465742885][/doublepost]
Since when does date rape involve a knife? Date rape is when you get a girl drunk or drugged up and bang em while they're unconscious. It's not some violent, hold a knife to someones throat and pull em into a creepy van type of deal.
You are confusing 'date rape' with 'date rape drug' .....

Date rape is when somebody, man or woman (although typically, statistically a man) forcefully has sex with his/her date. That is all it means. Just the pretense to the rape, i.e. the 'date'.

ALL rape is violent. Even if it somehow isn't physically violent as in the woman has bruises or tearing. Violence encompassing physical and mental abuse. Raping somebody is violently attacking them in one manner or another.

"A Central Florida appeals court granted a new trial last week to Anita Smithey, an Oviedo woman convicted of killing her estranged husband in 2010 after she said he raped her.

The Dec. 31 decision from the Fifth District Court of Appeal found a trial court judge erred in denying Smithey a new trial after her former attorneys made a mistake that allowed prosecutors to introduce evidence in Smithey’s first trial that was “devastating” to her case, wrote Judge Jay P. Cohen for the majority opinion of the three-judge panel.

Smithey, 52, was sentenced to 40 years in prison after jurors found her guilty of second-degree murder for fatally shooting her husband, Robert Cline III, while they were in bed."

More: here.

Back