• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Ruby

Boston area. I saw the amber alert highway signs driving home from the city this evening, and watched for an SUV fitting the description. They don't even have certainty of make of the vehicle or plates, so it's kind of a needle in a haystack.

She looks so full of life in the pix. I hope she's home safely real soon.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...07/27/amber_alert_issued_for_7_year_old_girl/

An Amber Alert was issued just before 5 p.m. on a seven-year-old girl who was kidnapped by her father during a social worker-supervised visit this afternoon.

Police are looking for Clark Rockefeller, who took off in the Back Bay with his daughter, Reigh Rockefeller, around 12:45 p.m. in a black GMC Yukon or Chevrolet Tahoe with a Red Sox license plate and Sox stickers on the back of the SUV.

Police believe that the little girl may be in danger, and they are asking the public for help finding her and her father.

Rockefeller is described by police as white, about 50 years old, 5’6â€￾, and 170 pounds with a stocky build. He was last seen wearing khaki pants and a blue Izod shirt.

Reigh was last seen at the intersection of Marlborough and Arlington Streets. She is 4 feet tall with blond hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a pink and white sun dress, red shoes and sunglasses.

“He just took the child and fled,â€￾ said Eddy Chrispin, a Boston police spokesman.

Police are searching the immediate area and Logan International Airport for Rockefeller. It is not clear who has custody of the girl or what the circumstances of the visitation were.

Amber alert canceled in Massachusetts (I didn't realize they do this) because they believe she is no longer in the state. The search has moved to NY, and NY does not typically issue an amber alert in custodial abductions unless there is clear evidence of imminent danger to the child. :(

New Yorkers, keep your eyes peeled!! Here's the current scoop (link includes a picture of victim AND perp):

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/07/amber_alert_can.html

Amber Alert canceled after father allegedly took daughter to N.Y.
Email| Text size – + July 28, 2008 08:40 AM
By John M. Guilfoil, Globe Correspondent

An Amber Alert was canceled this morning in Massachusetts for a 7-year-old girl who police said was abducted by her father during a social worker-supervised visit Sunday in the Back Bay.

Police believe the girl's father, Clark Rockefeller, took his daughter to New York. Boston police said they are working closely with local and state authorities in New York to continue the search.

An Amber Alert has not been issued in New York, according to a spokesman for the state police. New York does not typically issue Amber Alerts in custodial cases unless authorities believe a child is in danger of being harmed or killed, the spokesman said.

The child's parents are in the midst of a divorce, and the girl was on a supervised visit with her father. The alleged kidnapping occurred as the father, daughter, and social worker were walking to the Boston Common from the Four Seasons Hotel at 12:45 p.m. when a sport utility vehicle drove up. Rockefeller allegedly grabbed his daughter, pushed the social worker out of the way, and jumped into the vehicle, which sped off.

The social worker, who police said works for an independent agency, grabbed onto the vehicle and was dragged several feet. He was treated for minor injuries at Massachusetts General Hospital and released, police said.

Boston police searched the area without success, and State Police issued the Amber Alert just before 5 p.m. Police issued a warrant for the father's arrest last night. He faces charges of custodial kidnapping, assault and battery, and assault and battery with a deadly weapon - the sport utility vehicle.

Boston police are still searching for the black SUV. It was described as a black Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Yukon, or Denali with a Red Sox license plate and Red Sox stickers on the window. That vehicle is still believed to be in the area.

WHDH-TV reported that the girl's backpack and toy doll were left on the steps of the father's home. The station also reported that Clark Rockefeller was a scientist who had moved to the area two years ago and was in the midst of a bitter divorce involving a large amount of money. The girl's mother, the station reported, has been living in London. Eddy Chrispin, a Boston police spokesman, said the girl's mother, who was not named, does not live in the area.

Police said that though there was no indication of past abuse, they believed the girl was in danger, and they asked the public for help finding her and her father.

Police described Clark Rockefeller as white, about 50 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall, and 170 pounds with a stocky build. He was last seen wearing khaki pants and a blue polo shirt. He is listed as a director with the Algonquin Club of Boston, but officials with the social club could not be reached last night for comment.

Reigh Rockefeller is 4 feet tall, weighs 50 pounds, and has blond hair and blue eyes, police said. She was last seen at the intersection of Marlborough and Arlington streets, wearing a pink and white sundress, red shoes, and sunglasses, police said.

"He just took the child and fled," said Chrispin.

The sport utility vehicle was being driven by a friend of the father's, Chrispin said. Police did not know who he was or what he looked like.

Police were searching the immediate area and Logan International Airport yesterday. Calls came yesterday about reported sightings of the girl in Dedham, Hyde Park, and even New York's Grand Central Station. Police said they were following up on all leads, but had nothing solid last night.

Authorities asked anyone with information to call 617-343-4328.

The Amber Alert system was launched in 1996 after a fatal kidnapping in Texas. During an alert, warnings flash across TV screens and on highway signs and are announced through the media.

Last year, 227 alerts were issued nationwide. Before yesterday, Massachusetts authorities had issued alerts for at least 17 children, all of whom have been safely returned.

John Guilfoil can be reached at jguilfoil@globe.com.

P.S. BIG props to the social worker who was supervising the visit, who actually grabbed onto the moving SUV that abducted her, and was dragged for a little bit before letting go. He was treated for minor injuries at the hospital and released. I'm glad he's ok, and I'm impressed by his willingness to place himself in harm's way to try to save that child.

f06gz7.jpg

Clark and Reigh Rockefeller.

If Mom was in London, where was the little girl staying? With a relative or what?

Last edited:
f06gz7.jpg

Clark and Reigh Rockefeller.

If Mom was in London, where was the little girl staying? With a relative or what?

On the news the other night they said that the mom and daughter were staying at a Four Seasons hotel while the visits were going on. They said that the police were at the hotel with the mother, but they did not name her. I guess they flew in, stayed there for these visits, and intended to fly back?

Woman who drove con man & Snooks to N.Y. was paid $500, had 'no idea' of plot
zukuit.jpg
96x5wx.jpg

Boston police work over the SUV in which the high-society con man abducted his daughter -------------- Aileen Ang
The mystery woman who unwittingly helped an oddball high-society dad kidnap his 7-year-old daughter is an out-of-work financial services professional who was paid $500 to make the trip.

Aileen Ang, 30, got the shock of her life Sunday night when a friend from Boston called and told her she was wanted for helping Clark Rockefeller snatch his 7-year-old daughter.

The con man dad, who posed as a Rockefeller heir and threw money around despite having no visible means of support, told Boston friends he was heading to Long Island to sail away on a sprawling new yacht.

Shortly after Ang dropped off Rockefeller and Reigh - known as Snooks - near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, "a friend of hers calls and says there was an Amber Alert for the little girl," the mother said. "When Aileen heard that, she drove straight to the nearest police station."

Before meeting up with Ang, Rockefeller and Reigh jumped into a livery cab and shook the male social worker.

The livery driver went to the police Tuesday when he learned cops were hunting him.

He told police he had worked for Rockefeller, who doesn't have a driver's license. Rockefeller hired him to pick him up with his daughter Sunday and drive them to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Police did not reveal why the driver ignored the social worker, who clung desperately to his car door as he drove away.

At the hospital, Rockefeller told the livery driver to wait, but he saw them hop into a cab, the driver told police.

At some point, father and daughter then got into a white Lexus driven by Ang, who took them to New York.

Ang met Rockefeller through sailing at a Boston yacht club.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...woman_who_drove_con_man__snooks_to_ny_wa.html

Update: Daughter found safe, psycho dad arrested.

Police have successfully nabbed Clark Rockefeller after his alleged kidnapping of his 7-year-old daughter Reigh "Snooks" Boss during a supervised visit in Boston last Sunday.

On Saturday, Rockefeller was arrested in Baltimore, and Reigh – whose mother, Sandra Boss, pleaded for the girl's return in an emotional video posting Thursday – was found safe following a tip from a "concerned citizen," according to law officials.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20216646,00.html

Even though she was found safely, this story continues to pique my curiosity.

The Boston Globe is reporting that he purchased the carriage house where they were found in Baltimore in mid-july for $430,000. cash. They report that his fingerprints match a person wanted in a very old homicide in California. They have not released the name he used then, or the name of the homicide victim.

What I can't believe is that he lost custody of this girl in the divorce primarily because he would not divulge his identity. The ex-wife cited his lies about being connected to the famous Rockefeller family as part of her divorce and custody case. But they were married for THIRTEEN YEARS. How could you be married for 13 years to someone and not figure out that they didn't have any famous Rockefeller relatives?

Do you remember getting invited to any family soirees? Did you get your family Christmas card taken at Rockefeller center ? Did you get free Oysters Rockefeller at the restaurant because they were named for your family? No? Hmmm.... How do you NOT figure this out?

More tellingly, this man must have had NO CONNECTIONS to his past. Did you never meet any family or friends who knew him before YOU did? That might be a red flag.

I just don't get it. Meet Sandra Boss, Queen of De Nile.

Even though she was found safely, this story continues to pique my curiosity.

I just don't get it. Meet Sandra Boss, Queen of De Nile.

I don't get this either. How in the hell do you live with someone 13 years and bear a child with someone you don't have a clue who they really are? From all accounts, this woman is not stupid, but I have my doubts.

Sounds like she spent some time at the Cindy Anthony school of how to keep your head in your ass and not know what is going on in the world around you.

R

This story keeps getting stranger and stranger as they connect the dots...his brother in Germany has identified him. Oh, what a tangled web, etc. Read this one:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/08/german_man_iden.html

Friday, 12:29 PM From the City & Region staff at The Boston Globe

German man identifies Rockefeller as his brother
Email| Text size – + August 8, 2008 09:04 AM
By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff

BERGEN, Germany -- A man in this picturesque village in Upper Bavaria identified Clark Rockefeller in photographs as his older brother, saying in an interview today that he left home at age 17 in 1978 and had not contacted the family in more than 20 years.

Standing in the family's ancestral home here on the edge of the Alps, Alexander Gerhartsreiter said he did not know until today that his brother had made international headlines as a high-society con man accused of kidnapping in Boston and wanted for questioning in a California murder investigation.

"It's quite shocking. It's very shocking," said Alexander Gerhartsreiter, a husky, baby-faced man who bears some resemblance to his brother. "I don't know what to say."

His brother -- Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter -- left their home to be an exchange student in Connecticut and never returned. He initially kept in occasional touch with his family, but has not made contact since he called his parents in 1985.

"I think Germany was too small for him," Alexander Gerhartsreiter said. "He wanted to live in the big country and maybe get famous. Now that I see all this, he's really famous."

Alexander Gerhartsreiter, 34, may be able to unravel the growing mystery of Rockefeller, a man who has lived under aliases in Connecticut, California, Wisconsin, and Boston. Alexander Gerhartsreiter was shown two pictures of Rockefeller, including one distributed by Boston police after he allegedly kidnapped his 7-year-old daughter on a Boston street on July 27. The other 20-year-old photograph was of Christopher Chichester, a man wanted for questioning in the disappearance and presumed slayings of a San Marino, Calif., couple in 1985.

Rockefeller has claimed at times to be a descendant of European royal lineages, including the Battenbergs of Germany and the Mountbatten family of England. When he was a bond trader living in Connecticut in the 1980s, he told colleagues he was the former head of the Battenberg-Crowe-von-Wettin Family Foundation.

"I don’t think so," said Alexander Gerhartsreiter, who sighed and smiled ruefully.

He said today that he knew his brother began using the name Christopher Chichester in the United States because Gerhartsreiter was too difficult for Americans to pronounce. Despite the massive effort by law enforcement to determine Rockefeller's identity, Alexander Gerhartsreiter said he has not been contacted by investigators.

Alexander Gerhartsreiter spoke today in the quaint but rustic cream-color home with blue shutters that was built by his grandfather in 1926. It was where his brother Christian -- now known as Clark Rockefeller -- grew up in this village, which is between Munich and Salzburg, Austria. Alexander Gerhartsreiter is caring for his ill, elderly mother, Irmengard, a heavyset homemaker with white blond hair who declined today to speak to a reporter. His father, Simon, a graphic artist, died a few years ago of natural causes, he said.

That contradicts the story Rockefeller told during his divorce proceedings from Boss. He claimed both his parents were killed in a car crash and that he was so overcome by grief he became a mute for 10 years during his childhood and suffered significant memory loss because of it, a person with knowledge of his case told the Globe.

The family in Germany had no idea that Rockefeller had been married at least twice and had a 7-year-old daughter, Reigh Storrow Mills Boss. He is accused of kidnapping her last month after a bitter divorce with his second wife, Sandra L. Boss. The couple had lived in a $2 million townhouse on Beacon Hill and also had a home in Cornish, N.H.

Alexander Gerhartsreiter described his brother as a smart and never violent teen who attended a business school in nearby Siegsdorf, but he acknowledged it had been a long time. "My memories are very few," he said.

He once used the Internet to try to track down his brother with the only alias he had and found a Christopher Chichester working as a spokesman for New York Governor George Pataki.

"I don't know if it was him," Alexander Gerhartsreiter said.

The Globe reported in today's editions that investigators have matched Rockefeller's fingerprints to a thumbprint included on immigration records submitted by Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter in the late 1970s when he was entering the United States as an exchange student, a law enforcement official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Those prints have also been matched to a stockbroker license application filed under the name Christopher Crowe.

"I think we're getting close, but I wouldn't want to come out and say definitively who this person is," said Noreen Gleason, an assistant special agent in charge of the FBI's Boston office.

Said Warren Bamford, special agent in charge of the Boston office: "We're probably not going to confirm this person's identity until we have a birth certificate in our hands."

Christopher Crowe was a bond salesman on Wall Street in the late 1980s who spun extravagant tales but rarely closed deals. One former colleague at Nikko Securities International, Richard Barnett, said bluntly: "The man knew very little about corporate bonds."

Authorities were able to sketch a trail yesterday that began with Gerhartsreiter arriving in Connecticut as a German exchange student, moving to Wisconsin to marry a young woman in 1981, heading to California in the mid-1980s as Chichester, before returning East to work on Wall Street as Crowe, and eventually marrying Sandra L. Boss on Nantucket in 1995 as Clark Rockefeller.

Authorities said yesterday they matched a fingerprint Rockefeller left behind on a wine goblet to the stockbroker application filed by Christopher Crowe.

Rockefeller was captured last weekend in Baltimore after an international manhunt. He now sits in the Suffolk County Jail on Nashua Street, and law enforcement officials believe they finally are on the brink of identifying him.

Wisconsin marriage records show he is the son of Simon and Irmengard and was born in 1961. Other government records list his birthplace as the mountain resort town of Siegsdorf, Germany, near the Austrian border.

Authorities do not know precisely how or when Gerhartsreiter came to the United States, but he apparently arrived in the late 1970s and lived for a time with the Roccapriore family in Meriden, Conn. Peter Roccapriore, 49, recalled a slightly built, blond teenager who was surprised by the shortness of the American school day.

"He went to school with us," Roccapriore said yesterday. "He was like, 'Guys, you aren't even going to school that much. We usually go back for another two or three hours in our country.' "

Roccapriore wasn't certain how long the German student stayed or what may have been his reason for leaving, but he thinks the time limit for the exchange program had expired.

In August 1980, Gwen Savio, a retired librarian in Berlin, answered a newspaper ad for a German student seeking room and board and agreed to take in Gerhartsreiter, who walked several miles to her house.

Savio told the Globe yesterday that the teen, who enrolled at Berlin High School, refused to eat her family's Italian cooking and once locked her daughter out of the house in the winter.

"I didn't get a creepy feeling; I just thought that he was a spoiled brat," said Savio, who said she was interviewed by the FBI this week. "He wanted what he wanted, when he wanted it."

In January 1981, Savio kicked Gerhartsreiter out of her house, after he declared "that we were peasants and his father had told him not to talk to peasants." She believes he moved in with another family in Berlin.

On Feb. 20, 1981, Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, 19, moved almost 1,000 miles west to Elm Grove, Wis., where he married a US citizen, Amy Jersild, 22, in a civil ceremony at the Dane County courthouse in Madison, records show. After that point, he obtained a green card, granting him legal residency in the United States.

Gerhartsreiter lived in a tiny brick cottage with flowing drapes, china, candles, and a fancy rug, recalled Beth Litza, Amy's older sister, in an interview yesterday.

"He had a kind of a rich-person, kind of distance thing going on," Litza said. As quickly as Gerhartsreiter appeared in Amy's life, he disappeared, she said, but she could not remember when and how they divorced.

Amy Jersild Duhnke, who is remarried and still living in Wisconsin, could not be reached yesterday.

In about 1983, Christopher Chichester showed up in San Marino, where he rented a converted garage, joined an Episcopal church, the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce, and said he was the descendant of royalty. Residents recall being initially intrigued and later put off by Chichester's pretensions.

In 1985, Chichester's landlords, a young couple named John and Linda Sohus, were reported missing. Authorities wanted to question Chichester, but he had left the city and could not be located.

About the same time, a man named Christopher Chichester Crowe began mingling with members at the exclusive Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, Conn. Using contacts from the club, he was hired as a sales representative at S.N. Phelps and Co., a brokerage firm in Greenwich, said two former employees. They said they remember Crowe as a strange young man who said he had graduated from the University of Southern California and had worked as a producer for the television show "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

"He's a chameleon; he can fit in," said one of the employees, speaking on condition he not be named. "He can be funny at times, witty, laughs at your jokes . . . He walked into the yacht club, pretending like he owned the place."

One of the employees said he saw Crowe's apartment, a converted garage on a large estate in Greenwich that was beautiful, but empty, except for a cot and some magazines. "He might have been a little embarrassed about it," the employee said. "He claimed he'd ordered some furniture that hadn't arrived yet."

The employees say Crowe quit for reasons they cannot recall. In 1987, he was hired as vice president of the corporate bond department at Nikko Securities International in Manhattan, after professing to be former head of the apparently bogus Battenberg-Crowe-von-Wettin Family Foundation, with a collection of Rolls-Royce automobiles and Italian sports cars. He told tales of owning castles in Europe, and his hiring was covered in the trade publication The Bond Buyer, which quoted Crowe's market analysis in July 1987: "Customers like industrials. They've been oversaturated with banks and finance."

But colleagues recalled yesterday that Crowe was not what he professed to be. He drove a beat-up 1965 Chevy, grew angry easily with others in the office, and made very few sales. He was terminated sometime around 1989, they said.

"He was a sales manager and never made a sale, so eventually he was fired," said Barnett. "He just didn't do anything."

Another former colleague recalled Crowe telling a customer who accidentally sat at his desk, "If anybody touches my stuff, I'll bring my German Luger."

"It started to become very apparent that whatever he said was a story; it was made up," another former colleague said. "At most places, but especially Wall Street, your word is your bond. And whenever you get someone like this, you're sitting on a liability, and so it was that, more than anything, that prompted the firm to decide that we'd be better of without him."

Just before he was fired, in 1988, Crowe attracted the attention of police in Greenwich, Conn., when he tried to sell a truck belonging to John Sohus, according to a 1995 episode of the television show "Unsolved Mysteries." The potential buyer, a minister's son, alerted police after Crowe lacked the proper paperwork, the show said.

Crowe's next job, sometime around 1989, was at Kidder Peabody in Manhattan, the former Nikko employees said. But he quit abruptly, telling colleagues his parents had been kidnapped abroad, those former colleagues said.

The next day, Connecticut state troopers showed up Crowe's office, asking about Sohus's truck, but Crowe was gone. Connecticut State Police declined to comment.

About a year before he married Boss, in May 1994, workers digging a pool for the new owners of the Sohus home in San Marino discovered human remains wrapped in three plastic bags and buried in the backyard. Police presumed but never definitively identified them as those of John Sohus. DNA tests are currently being conducted on those remains. Neither Linda Sohus nor her remains have been located.

San Marino Police Lieutenant Steve Johnson said investigators plan to conduct a search next week of the property where the Sohuses were living when they disappeared in an effort to determine whether any additional human remains are buried on the property. Equipment that can X-ray through concrete will be used, he said.

"They'll survey the whole property," Johnson said.

I have heard this POS referred to as "Crockefeller". Very true.

Seems the Crockefeller is "starting to remember" bits and pieces of his past.
More than a week after being charged with kidnapping his daughter from Boston, the man has admitted using aliases and knowing the newlyweds who went missing in 1985.

His attorney said his client remembers only "bits and pieces" of his life before 1993, but authorities said they have figured out much of the man's past and have deemed him a "person of interest" in the couple's disappearance.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_re_us/rockefeller_mystery

I still don't understand how he could con so many... especially a wife. I often wish I could dupe myself into a rich man...

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20080926/D93EMJDO0.html

"A German who calls himself Clark Rockefeller has been indicted on kidnapping charges for the alleged snatching of his 7-year-old daughter from a Boston street during a supervised visit in July."

"Defense attorney Stephen Hrones said the indictments "reflect the same weaknesses as the original charges." Hrones said he will enter pleas of not guilty on Monday, and likely will seek bail for his client."

Crockefeller's attorney is as nutty as he is.

"Clark Rockefeller" subject of grand jury investigation

This guy is a real winner. He kidnapped his daughter last year too.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6639&highlight=clark+rockefeller

Word has it that he might go with an insanity plea.

rockefeller.jpg

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has convened a grand jury investigation into the 1985 disappearance and possible murder of a San Marino couple, officials said Tuesday.

Clark Rockefeller, 48, facing trial in Boston in connection with the abduction of his daughter last July, has been named a person of interest in the disappearance of John and Linda Sohus 24 years ago.

The case became a homicide investigation in May 1994. It was then that bones, believed to be those of John Sohus, turned up in the back yard of the home the couple shared with Rockefeller, then known as Christopher Chichester.

Attorney Jeffrey Denner, who is representing Rockefeller, did not return a phone call seeking comment Tuesday.

DA spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said she could neither confirm nor deny that a grand jury had been impaneled in the case. "Those proceedings are secret," Gibbons said.

At least two handwriting experts have been asked to submit materials for the inquiry, which is being handled by Deputy District Attorney Catherine Brough of the Major Crimes Division, said a source close to the investigation, who asked not to be identified.

One of those experts, Sheila Lowe, said Tuesday she has been asked to submit materials, including a handwriting analysis chart she prepared for this newspaper.

"I have given lots of opinions before and never been called to testify before a grand jury," Lowe said. "It was quite a surprise."

Another expert who has been asked to submit materials was identified as Kathie Koppenhaver. She did not comment Tuesday.

Koppenhaver and Lowe were among three experts who examined a letter and a receipt known to have been written by Linda Sohus prior to her disappearance. The third expert was Karl Schaffenberger.

All three have experience testifying in court. The trio also scrutinized a postcard mailed from France after the couple vanished from their Lorain Road home in February 1985.

The undated postcard, postmarked April 29, 1985, bears the salutation, "See you later, Linda and John."

While Koppenhaver and Schaffenberger said the postcard was not written by Linda Sohus, Lowe said she is nearly certain it was written by Linda. Detectives believe that Linda Sohus' postcard to her boss Lydia Marano could be a key piece of evidence in the case to determine what happened to the newlywed couple.

Rockefeller, whose real name is Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, used the alias Christopher Chichester when he lived with the Sohuses in San Marino in the mid-1980s. Several weeks after John and Linda disappeared, Chichester vanished.

He has been linked to the case through a variety of evidence, including fingerprints, authorities said.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_11986877

A German man who called himself Clark Rockefeller and spun fantastic stories about himself during three decades in the United States was convicted of kidnapping his 7-year-old daughter and sentenced to four to five years in prison.

Rockefeller, whose real name is Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, snatched the girl on a Boston street during a supervised visit last July and took her to Baltimore.
[...]

Gerhartsreiter also was convicted of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for ordering the driver of an SUV to pull away with a social worker clinging to the door. The jury acquitted him on another assault count and on a charge of giving a false name to police.

Judge Frank Graziano sentenced him to four to five years in state prison on the parental kidnapping count and a concurrent two to three years on the assault charge, for which he could have faced up to 10 years.

Graziano said he considered Rockefeller's attachment to his daughter and his "despair" over losing her, but also his disregard for the law and lack of empathy for the girl, his ex-wife and the social worker.
[...]

A California grand jury has been hearing evidence in the disappearance of Linda and Jonathan Sohus. Gerhartsreiter, who was then using the name Christopher Chichester, was living in a guest house on their property when they disappeared. He has not been charged in the case.
[...]
http://www.sacbee.com/827/story/1941286.html

Sounds like a piece of work, that man.

Wonder what happened to the couple that went missing. Bit too much of a coincidence that they should disappear while he was living on their property.

I googled Linda and Jonathan Sohus, found interesting site.

freaky stuff

http://a11news.com/454/jonathan-and-linda-sohus/

3 bags of bones were found by pool excavators in the backyard.

blood stains believed to be Jon's, were found in the guest house. With the advanced technogy they will rerun test. Jonathan was adopted - so they are having trouble verifing the dna.

I hope for justice in this Cold case... must be hard on the families involved not knowing

I hope he does every one of those days 4-5 yrs, with no good time..... just to think of all the other criminal acts he has got away with ... what a creep ... too many damn alias'

Phony Rockefeller charged in L.A. slaying
(CNN) -- A man who gained international notoriety when he kidnapped his daughter while leading a double life impersonating a member of the moneyed Rockefeller clan has been charged with murder in Los Angeles.

Prosecutors filed a criminal complaint Tuesday alleging a single murder count against Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter.

Gerhartsreiter, 50, is accused of killing John Sohus, 27, who vanished with his wife, Linda, in 1985. His dismembered remains were found nine years later as workers dug a backyard pool at a home his mother used to own in San Marino, California.

Linda Sohus, then 28, has never been found. Except for a few postcards that appeared to have been mailed by the couple from Paris in 1985, her friends and family have not heard from her since.

Gerhartsreiter is serving a four- to five-year sentence in Massachusetts for kidnapping his 7-year-old daughter in 2008. He becomes eligible for parole in 2012.

Gerhartsreiter has denied any involvement in the Sohus case.

The new charges deal with events in Gerhartsreiter's life before he assumed the identity of Clark Rockefeller, a cultured poseur who never seemed to have a job.

A Boston tabloid dubbed him "Crockefeller."

Gerhartsreiter came to the United States from Germany in 1978, according to testimony at his kidnapping trial. After spending a few years in Connecticut, he moved to Wisconsin, where he married in a green card arrangement using his true name.

Gerhartsreiter then relocated to California, where he began living a life of lies, according to numerous media accounts.

He settled in San Marino, a wealthy community near Pasadena, where he lived under the name of Christopher Chichester from 1983 to 1985.

He posed as a film student and boasted that he was of English royalty, according to Vanity Fair magazine, which profiled him in January 2009 and quoted several people who knew "Chichester" at the time.

As Chichester, he rented a guest house from Ruth "Didi" Sohus. Her son John and his wife, Linda, came to live with Didi during the time Gerhartsreiter lived in the guest quarters.

It is unclear what his relationship was with the couple.

Didi Sohus told investigators she believed that her son and daughter-in-law were in Europe. She filed a missing person report in July 1985, according to the Pasadena Star-News.

Didi and one of Linda Sohus' friends received postcards postmarked from Paris in mid-1985, purportedly from the couple, but investigators were suspicious of their authenticity.

Sohus sold the house in late 1985 after suffering a stroke. She died three years later.

Through luminol testing of the guest quarters where "Chichester" lived, investigators found what appeared to be a large amount of blood. (Luminol causes a glow when it comes in contact with blood). It is not clear when the luminol testing took place, but police thoroughly searched the house when the remains were found and again after Gerhartsreiter's arrest in the kidnapping case.

A former neighbor quoted by Vanity Fair reported that "Chichester" borrowed a chain saw from him at about the time the couple went missing. An acquaintance, Dana Farrar, said she "saw an area of dirt that had obviously been dug up and filled in" at the time, according to the Pasadena Star-News. When she asked him why, "Chichester" told her he was having plumbing problems.

Sheriff's detectives from Los Angeles County sought "Chichester" for questioning in early May 1985, but he had disappeared in a pickup truck registered to John Sohus.

He resurfaced under yet another identity -- that of Christopher Crowe -- in Connecticut in the late 1980s.

In late 1988, "Crowe" tried to sell Sohus' pickup truck to a man in Connecticut. When he couldn't produce the proper paperwork for the truck, the prospective buyer reported him to police.

Connecticut police soon learned that "Chichester" and "Crowe" were the same person, although at that time, no one knew that his true name was Gerhartsreiter.

"Crowe" disappeared before police could question him.

He resurfaced in Manhattan in 1993 as Clark Rockefeller. On May 5, 1994, workers digging in the new owners' backyard to install a swimming pool discovered three plastic bags containing the skeletal remains of a man who wouldn't be identified until 2010.

The investigation heated up again when authorities learned shortly after the 2008 kidnapping that Gerhartsreiter was not Clark Rockefeller. He was arrested in Baltimore, where he was hiding out with his daughter. He had already assumed a new identity: a ship's captain named Chip Smith who, with his daughter Muffy, was relocating to Chile.

His second wife, Harvard-educated financial executive Sandra Boss, testified that she spent more than a dozen years with him before growing suspicious that "Clark Rockefeller" was not who he said he was.

They met in New York City, and were married in Nantucket. Their daughter, Reigh, was born on May 24, 2001, and her father nicknamed her "Snooks."
[...]
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/14/gerhartsreiter.rockefeller/index.html

In our local paper, there is a group pushing to use Amber alerts for any and all missing teenagers and younger. Cold cases included. I personally think this is a bad idea because the purpose of an Amber alert is to blast info pertaining to an abduction or possible one of any child or person. It should be used for the rare case of a child snatching where the kid is in eminent danger and the case is extremely fresh. if amber alerts are used too frequently, no one will pay attention to them, plus most teenagers missing want to be.

Whatever happened to the milk carton idea? That actually worked and reached the masses

Does anyone agree with me or am I disagreeing with a good idea?

In our local paper, there is a group pushing to use Amber alerts for any and all missing teenagers and younger. Cold cases included. I personally think this is a bad idea because the purpose of an Amber alert is to blast info pertaining to an abduction or possible one of any child or person. It should be used for the rare case of a child snatching where the kid is in eminent danger and the case is extremely fresh. if amber alerts are used too frequently, no one will pay attention to them, plus most teenagers missing want to be.

Whatever happened to the milk carton idea? That actually worked and reached the masses

Does anyone agree with me or am I disagreeing with a good idea?

I agree with you.

20120121-08.jpg

Aging witnesses and fading memories continue to trouble the case against the former Beacon Hill con man known as Clark Rockefeller, who authorities say slaughtered a Los Angeles-area neighbor, then carved up his corpse and buried it nearly 30 years ago.

Prosecutors arguing for a murder trial against Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter failed to get a former boss to recognize the man during testimony yesterday.

Asked whether Gerhartsreiter was in the room, Stanford Phelps, 77, who’d hired Gerhartsreiter, then known as Christopher Crowe, as his brokerage firm’s resident computer whiz in 1986, answered with a resounding “No.â€￾

Earlier this week, an 81-year-old former neighbor stumbled similarly, pointing to a TV cameraman when asked to identify Gerharstreiter, then mistaking his 1980s-era picture for a photo of murder victim Jonathan Sohus.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Jared Moses is hearing testimony to determine whether to try Gerhartsreiter, 50, for the 1985 murder of Sohus.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...tion_issues_plague_rockefeller_slaying_probe/

I've been reading and watching quite a bit on InSession lately when they give updates, and that's how I stumbled on this one in the first place, so I'm late to the game. He's definitely an odd egg. I'm not so sure if he's a psycho so much as someone with an extremely high level of intelligence (genius?) who took a wrong turn somewhere and went off on this trail of his. Not saying he's not to blame for all he's done. Just saying that, maybe with a different turn, he could have been some kind of rocket scientist or something.

And [MENTION=1178]malq[/MENTION], I, too, agree with you.

Back