• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A nurse killed a patient with a "massive overdose" of an anti-psychotic drug, a court has heard.

Amanda Young is accused of administering a lethal dose of the drug to Joshua Gafney, 22, at his home in February 2012.

Bristol Crown Court was told Mr Gafney had been given 14 times the amount of clozapine needed to treat him.

Ms Young, 40, from Yeovil, denies manslaughter by gross negligence. Her trial is expected to last three weeks.

Ms Young was instructed to administer 6ml - a little more than a teaspoon - of clozapine to Mr Gafney but the court heard she "hadn't seen" the dosage written on the medication.

Instead she poured six bottles into a glass for him.

She mistakenly believed each 14ml bottle contained 50mg of clozapine when in fact this figure was per millilitre - meaning a single container actually had 700mg inside, the court heard.

His mother, Tina Marren, immediately raised concerns at the half-full glass but Ms Young allegedly replied: "I know, we will put a bit of water with it".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-32882315

Plenty of nursing students and even licensed nurses have trouble with this, but it's absolutely crucial to the job. My mother was very good at medications and would get so aggravated when one of her cohorts would ask the same questions everyday. It's scary to consider.

Truly tragic that this person was entrusted with caring for others. Incompetence or malice? 'Cause even I could figure out that the drug companies/pharmacies make the bottle big enough to hold at least one dose of medicine.

Latest posts

Back