• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thequeenofsorrow

Trusted Member
ayotj8.jpg

Harry Johnson said that he never saw his daughter Amanda "fly off the handle" with her 23-month-old son.

But the Laurel County grandfather said he is haunted by what he did see on little Stephen Troy's back the night before he died last week: "A fist-sized bruise" that was explained away with a story about the toddler falling.

Now, Harry Johnson's daughter — Stephen's mother — is charged with murder and first-degree criminal abuse. Amanda Johnson, 21, is being held in the Laurel County jail on a $250,000 bond. She pleaded not guilty Monday in Laurel District Court.

The mother of a Laurel County toddler charged in the boy's death pleaded not guilty in the case on Monday, Oct. 26, 2009. Amanda Johnson, 21, (shown in a 2008 photo with her son, Stephen Troy) is charged with murder and criminal abuse in the death of 23-month-old Stephen Troy. Troy died Friday. .

Amanda Johnson, 21, has been charged with murder and first-degree criminal abuse of her son, Stephen Troy. This photo of Johnson and the baby, was provided by the family and is from Christmas 2008.

Harry Johnson said that an autopsy report showed that the morning after he saw the bruise, the boy was struck on the abdomen with such force that it ruptured his small intestine and he bled to death. Laurel County Coroner Doug Bowling confirmed that the child died of severe abdominal injuries. Laurel District Court records say that he was "killed by blunt force trauma to stomach as a result of physical abuse."

After Harry Johnson saw the bruise on Stephen's back, he said, he remembered other injuries that had been blamed on the toddler's falling. He said he told family members that Stephen should not go back to the house where he was staying with his mother and her boyfriend.

Emergency medical workers rushed Stephen to a hospital in London about 9 a.m. Friday after he was found unresponsive at Amanda Johnson's boyfriend's home. The boy died about an hour later.

Harry Johnson says he is filled with regret that he did not take action after seeing the bruise.

He said Monday in a telephone interview from his home in London that his tragedy was a lesson for other grandparents.

"Even if it's your daughter, even if she hates you, go ahead and call authorities," he said.

Harry Johnson said that as far as he knows, complaints about Stephen's treatment had never been made to Cabinet for Health and Family Services social workers.

"Witness statements and the medical examiner's office," the arrest citation said, " indicates subject has abused her 23-month-old child over a period of time."
The report noted that Stephen had fractures to the left leg and several bruises.

Harry Johnson said that someone other than his daughter could have had a hand in Stephen's death.

Kentucky State Police. Trooper Don Trosper said no charges have been filed against anyone else.

Harry Johnson said that his daughter was a waitress at Cracker Barrel restaurant in London.

Funeral services for Stephen will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Bowling Funeral Home in London. Visitation is after 11 a.m. Thursday.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/story/992837.html#

Poor baby. I bet grandpa would have took him if he knew his mom didn't want him.

Harry Johnson said that someone other than his daughter could have had a hand in Stephen's death.

Like the folks who saw the warning signs and ignored them?
You're right Harry, I agree.

RIP Stephen

He could have called anonymously. If there was no abuse, then nothing would have come of it. I hope he kicks himself in the ass for the rest of his life.
I am so sick of parent's that think their little angels are perfect. I have three kids myself, the oldest is almost 15. Guess what? I know he is an asshole. I know he can do stupid things, and I'm not afraid to bop him upside the head when he does (please don't take that wrong). I love my children more than anything else on this planet. I have gone without food and clothes to make sure that they don't. But I am not blind to thier faults.

I know that it must be really hard to look at your own child and recognize trhat at some point they have become evil. I wish someone, anyone would have looked at this childs injuries and noticed how bad they were, for goodness sake this baby had a broken leg. Poor little guy

Michael Troy says he once suspected something wasn’t quite right with his little boy, 23 month old Stephen. At one point,he even showed the boy’s grandfather bruises on the toddler's back.

“To see what he thought of it, he said it looked like someone punched him in the back,â€￾ said Troy.

Then on Friday, the little boy was rushed to the hospital after his mother’s boyfriend said Stephen was unresponsive. Stephen Troy died that day, and Sunday night police arrested his mother, 21-year-old Amanda Johnson. Now Michael Troy is planning his son’s funeral, while his mother answered to murder charges in court.
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/66143167.html and here:
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/65883332.html

Stephens Father noticed it too! Did nothing..... and it's being reported that Amandas boyfriend is the one that called 911,mmmm.....
When my two year old grandchild had a deep bruise on her right side, we were suspicious, she was taken to the ER, she could barely articulate, but kept saying the bubbles hurt her, parents said she fell against the faucett in the bath, but to be safe, we had her x-rayed, Thank God, no ribs broken, but, neither, the Doctors or Nurses called CPS, they had no suspicions. Since then no more bruises, except normal small ones. So, unless there was a history, why would anyone think differently about Stephen?
One commenter at different articles say Amanda Johnson has had two of her children already removed from her custody, I would like to know why, if it's true?

Stephen Troy, Fly with the Angels, baby!

stupid cunt...
let her rot away for awhile and please, please tie her tubes so she can never give life to just take away again. booo bitch booo.

so sorry for her daddy though. he had a hunch, didn't proceed on it && now he lives with guilt. take hunches as instincts, live with the hatred of your daughter, but know your grandbaby is alive. she will always come back around when she needs something.

I think the third one is a grandma.

I hate everyone and this just sucks. I have been tired lately because I run out of ways to express my utter devastation at what these freaks do to children.

I was in line at Wal-Mart tonight and a young lady in front of me had a very young baby with her that was crying. It was music to my ears. It brought tears to my eyes. It WAS RAW, UNFETTERED LIFE!!! Blooming and living and I was so IN LOVE WITH IT!!! After reading all the things I see here I saw that baby differently and I see my (and all other) child/ren for the wonder that she is more clearly.

It is easy to lose sight of the wonder in the daily grind but this site opens my eyes like a shot of ice water to my face. It blows my mind that people can't SEE and FEEL the gift and joy that children are.

oh my, he is just the dearest but looks so damn sad i all these photos or is it just me??

I was thinking the same thing. Poor baby, looks miserable...I guess walking around on a fractured leg might have something to do with it...and the fact that he knows what a monster his mother is...

I would really like to know why her other kids were taken and where they are.

azurheuh wrote on 10/25/2009 07:57:43 PM:
First of all, she was not raised in KY. She's originally from MI. And the only reason she is down in KY now, is so she didn't get Stephen taken away, like she did her two previous children. Now look what happened.... I would under no circumstances, say that she is an idiot. Merely an irresponsible mother.

Those of you who think you know what's going on, you really don't. So please stop leaving comments on a story you don't know completely.

Do I personally believe that Will is responsible for his death? Yes. He's told two separate stories to the police, and our family. To me, that seems too suspicious.

Will's brother, who's name I'm not sure of, also threatened Stephen's father, that if he said anything out of line, he could get hurt. This was also reported to the police. Now, why would someone make a threat like that, unless they knew Will was responsible?

There's a lot more we don't know yet. I'm biased, of course. But I don't believe my cousin could ever kill her beautiful son.

well..this explains it.

Posted by: Harry on Oct 26, 2009 at 05:03 PM

Listen here friend, why dont you comment on something you know all the facts about,, I am amandas dad, her and mike did have there first baby taken away, amanda was 14 and mike was fifteen, they were kids argueing over who was going to hold the baby and the babys arm was disslocated,,, the other baby they never even got to take home from the hospital because of what happened to the first one , so this great child abuse you think they inflicted on the other children was one isolated instance by to young teenagers who had no idea about raising kids ,,, so why dont you get the whole story before you start making accusations

azurheuh wrote on 10/25/2009 07:57:43 PM: There's a lot more we don't know yet. I'm biased, of course. But I don't believe my cousin could ever kill her beautiful son.

This is directed at azurheuh

Uhm... if you're living with someone who is beating the hell out of your child and you aren't doing anything to stop it, or get the baby out of the situation, then you are just as responsible for his death, as the perp. She may not have physically put her hands on the child, but she allowed this to happen to him! she FAILED as a mother, by not protecting this precious baby from this asshole.

~ceisdsgil

can someone with a medical background explain how this is possible?

Posted by: Harry ( Papaw ) Location: London on Oct 24, 2009 at 07:23 PM

My Grandson didn't die of any respitory infection or stomach problems, he was at my house the day before and he didn't have any fever or problems breating or diarea, he was singinging and playing but wouldn't walk because of a big bruise on his lower back that he got when will callaghan was watching him, I told his parents not to let him go back to his house. Babies jusy dont fall over dead with no symtoms.. I f you dont want to post this comment either you can call me at 606-231-6827 and I will tell ya the whole story

And why, why, why did no one take child to the hospital when they saw a bruise on his back and he couldn't walk?

This is so heartbreaking! What a beautiful wee soul he was. But I swear in some of the pics of him when he was very tiny he has a black eye and swelling on his face. How do people ignore things like this? Ignore a child who cant walk? Ignore a large bruise in the shape of a fist on their back!!I am so so angry and sick of these bastards killing the most helpless,beautiful and innocent!

How the hell do these evil bastards hurt an innocent bairn at all.
I hope sweet Stephen that you get the justice you deserve but true justice would have been you alive and well and away from such evil cunts.

Yes grandpa, you and the rest of the brainless people that saw the bruises and other evidence of abuse and did NOTHING should be kicking yourselves.
If you see bruises,scars etc on a baby, screw hurting people's feelings. IMO, better to have a lost friend than a lost child.

A Laurel County mother has been charged with the murder of her son.

21 year-old Amanda Johnson of East Bernstadt is charged with 1st degree Criminal Abuse and Murder.

Her son, 23 month-old Stephen Troy, was rushed to the hospital Friday morning after he was found unresponsive at Johnson's boyfriend's home. Stephen later died at the hospital.

The Laurel County Coroner says little Stephen died from blunt force trauma to the abdomen.

After conducting a number of interviews, state police arrested Johnson late Sunday.

Stephen's father, Michael Troy, tells NEWSFIRST he never thought it could be her.

"I never thought she could do that," Troy said, "the way she loved that boy."

Troy says he has never seen Johnson abuse Stephen.

Johnson is being held at the Laurel County Detention Center.

Stephen's funeral will be held Thursday at Bowling Funeral Home in London.
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/65883332.html

Blah blah I dont take anything Stephen's father Michael Troy says seriously now. He's still in love with this chick. If you look at the link tbl provided for his myspace he's talking about how he's still in love with her. ON Amanda's pictures from last Christmas (she put Christmas 09 - genius) he's like "That could have been us" or something similar on the "family pics" she had. I wonder if he's still so in love with her that he refuses to see her for what she seems to be.

Yes grandpa, you and the rest of the brainless people that saw the bruises and other evidence of abuse and did NOTHING should be kicking yourselves.
If you see bruises,scars etc on a baby, screw hurting people's feelings. IMO, better to have a lost friend than a lost child.

You have to use your best judgment, though. You think CPS is doing a shitty job now? Just imagine how many children would die if everyone called in bruises just for the sake of being on the safe side... not to mention the hell CPS involvement can put a family through.

No, I'm sorry, and I know that every now and then it will result in a lost child, but people need to be at least somewhat convinced before calling in the CPS. Their resources are limited, and calling just to err on the side of caution could ultimately cause more damage than not.

You have to use your best judgment, though. You think CPS is doing a shitty job now? Just imagine how many children would die if everyone called in bruises just for the sake of being on the safe side... not to mention the hell CPS involvement can put a family through.

No, I'm sorry, and I know that every now and then it will result in a lost child, but people need to be at least somewhat convinced before calling in the CPS. Their resources are limited, and calling just to err on the side of caution could ultimately cause more damage than not.
Nuff said

can someone with a medical background explain how this is possible?

And why, why, why did no one take child to the hospital when they saw a bruise on his back and he couldn't walk?

I'm thinking that his abdominal injuries had far more to do with him not walking that the bruise on the back, unless there was spinal damage.
We use our abdominal muscles in most of our conscious upper and lower body movements, and in some automatic movements (like breathing).
If the abdominal injuries occurred on the same day he was with the (bitchy) grandmother, then it's possible he wouldn't have a fever develop until several hours after being hurt.
And from what I've read, there's no indication of when his temperature began to rise (IMO it would increase rapidly) to when his genetic donor(s) actually realized that the poor lad had a raging fever, as they don't seem to be the attentive type of care(less) givers.

Steven had a fractured leg also, that could have explained the not walking. And if I see a kid with a fist sized bruise, at the very least, I am seeking medical attention or calling CPS. That's all the convincing I need. Children do not accidentally end up with fist sized bruises, IMO.

Reiterates comments made on other sites:
Amanda Johnson and Michael Troy used to live in Muskegon, Michigan. The Assistant Chief Prosecutor for Muskegon County tells us years ago both of them faced child abuse charges for another child of theirs, which resulted in the two of them losing their parental rights.

NEWSFIRST asked Troy about the charges.

Michael Troy says he and Johnson had two other children before Stephen while they were living in Michigan, including a little boy named Tyler Johnson.

Their parental rights were terminated in 2005 after Tyler's arm was broken.

"We just got into an argument and I don't know went wrong," Troy says about the day Tyler was injured, "I was holding him and I didn't want him to go and she was trying to take him, and I was trying to keep him"

The Assistant Chief Prosecutor says both parents were charged as juveniles with child abuse, and Johnson pleaded no-contest.

"We were really young back then - we were basically babies ourselves," said Troy, "back then I really didn't understand what was going on, so I don't really understand the charges."

Troy says their second child born in Michigan was taken by child protective services after his birth.

"They took him right from the hospital," Troy said.

Just a month before Johnson gave birth to their third child, little Stephen Troy - the boy Johnson's now accused of killing - Troy says the couple left for Kentucky. According to Troy, he and Johnson were afraid Stephen would also be taken into custody of Michigan's child protective services.

When confronted about the previous abuse charges, Troy still says Stephen was safe in their care, and says doesn't know how the deadly injuries occurred.

"I don't have no idea," Troy said, "just the way I've seen (Johnson) with Stephen, I don't think she did it."
[...]
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/67416282.html

oh my, he is just the dearest but looks so damn sad i all these photos or is it just me??

after comparing his darling pictures with pictures of my baby boy...they look so much alike its sad, and your right, there is no light in his eyes.

his pictures are heartbreaking knowing he is no longer here....and so in his honor I am going to give my little man...who at the moment just dumped his cereal on the floor....a big hug.

I keep coming back and looking at this precious little guy's pictures. The sadness in his little eyes just jumps out at me. Its heartbreaking. I'm going to call my sister who has a son his age and spend the day with the little guy in this baby's honor.

Documents sealed in child murder case
Judge will not allow information showing history of child abuse; defense attorneys also ask that autopsy photographs be excluded
Counsel for Amanda Johnson, who is accused of killing her young son Stephen, has asked that the boy’s autopsy and medical examiner photographs be excluded from evidence in her trial, which is scheduled for Jan. 25.

“The decedent in this case was a 23-month-old infant,” reads the motion, filed by public defenders Roger Gibbs and Kelly Ridings Oct. 20. “Showing autopsy and medical examiner photographs will do nothing more than inflame the jury. Evidence that appeals to the jury’s sympathies, arouses its sense of horror, provokes its instinct to punish ... is unfairly prejudicial.”

Laurel Circuit Judge Greg Lay has not yet made a ruling — and likely won’t until the first day of trial — as to whether the photographs will be admissible. If some are, Commonwealth’s Attorney Jackie Steele said only photos specifically germane to the case can be shown.

“I can’t just introduce a photo of little baby Stephen,” he said. “It has to be for some reason to prove the murder.”

Already, Lay has agreed to seal documents that could show a history of abuse to her children, a request made in a motion filed Oct. 19.

Johnson’s first two sons were taken away from her and their father Michael Troy by the state of Michigan. Johnson and Troy’s first baby, Tyler Johnson, was taken away after an argument between Johnson and Troy resulted in the boy’s arm getting “slightly fractured,” Amanda’s father said previously.

The second baby, Michael Troy IV, was taken away from Johnson at birth.

Michael Troy IV and Tyler Johnson have both since been adopted.

Johnson’s attorneys said they feel, like the photographs of Stephen, the history of abuse in Michigan is too prejudicial.

Steele said sealing the documents was not entirely unexpected. Though there was a history of abuse, “one, it was not the same victim, and, two, the abuse was not similar enough,” he said.

Steele explained a history of abuse is only relevant when it is “strikingly similar” to the nature of the crime.

Lay has also agreed to exclude any evidence relating to MySpace, Topix and other Internet postings.

“In Amanda’s case, the Commonwealth cannot properly lay a foundation or establish authenticity of MySpace postings,” the motion, filed Oct. 20, reads. “According to discovery, Amanda was arrested and incarcerated on Oct. 25, 2009. However, her last login on MySpace was Oct. 26, 2009. This clearly establishes that other people, besides Amanda, had access to her MySpace account.”

As for conversations that surfaced on the Internet message board Topix, “these statements are unreliable, unauthenticated and irrelevant,” the motion reads.
[...]

Johnson remains in the Laurel County Detention Center on a $250,000 cash bond.
http://www.sentinel-echo.com/local/x967715592/Documents-sealed-in-child-murder-case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back