• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A Cumbrian man who is HIV positive has been jailed for knowingly infecting his former partner with the virus.

Alan Mason, 45, of Endmoor, Kendal, knew he had the virus for five years when he started a sexual relationship with the woman, from Barrow.

Carlisle Crown Court heard he only told her when she began to feel unwell after contracting the disease herself.

He was jailed for two years and eight months after admitting causing the woman, 39, grievous bodily harm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29018651

He was jailed for two years and eight months after admitting causing the woman, 39, grievous bodily harm.
And afterwards will he have to register somewhere (fat lot of good it'll do) but to think he got a slap on the wrist and will be out to re-offend is disconcerting to say the least. He's a fucking asshole to say the least. HIV may not be the death sentence it used to be but its fucking preventable if you're honest and not a jack ass piece of shit like this guy.

The woman has a responsibility to protect herself. Unless he raped her, she shares the blame. In this day and age, there is no excuse for this. Unprotected sex has serious consequences. Steps down from soapbox.

he is the one with hiv. its up to him to protect everyone he comes into contact with. He could have also impregnated her with an hiv infected child as well. Sure she made a bad move, but usually for that bad move, the greatest punishment is usually a unwanted pregnancy. Not a disease that's has killed millions worldwide.

It should be a certain way when you have a std you should be responsible, and care about other peoples well being..But its not that way you need to be responsible for yourself. This guy got it from someone else too so maybe its not really his fault either.
No doubt this is a crime and a horrible one but if you agree to play Russian roulette with me and you lose, well I needed your willing participation in order for it to happen. I said in another thread you cant commit this crime unless you have a willing victim. She will have to pay now and doesn't deserve this but she needed to look out for number one.

he is the one with hiv. its up to him to protect everyone he comes into contact with. He could have also impregnated her with an hiv infected child as well. Sure she made a bad move, but usually for that bad move, the greatest punishment is usually a unwanted pregnancy. Not a disease that's has killed millions worldwide.

I wonder if she never went to her yearly exam? Did he not take any meds ever?? It seems that they lived together and I would assume that he was on many medications.

@Abroad what do they mean by sexual relationship? Were they a monogamous couple or do they mean they were friends with benefits?

If they were FWB then she should have also insisted on protection, everyone is responsible for their actions, he didn't say he had HIV and she didn't insist on protection.

I wonder if she never went to her yearly exam? Did he not take any meds ever?? It seems that they lived together and I would assume that he was on many medications.

@Abroad what do they mean by sexual relationship? Were they a monogamous couple or do they mean they were friends with benefits?

If they were FWB then she should have also insisted on protection, everyone is responsible for their actions, he didn't say he had HIV and she didn't insist on protection.

They called her his "former partner" that gives me the impression that they were living together as man and wife, but not married. Under those circumstances, a lot of people stop practicing safe sex.

Also, the article said he knew he was HIV positive for five years before they took up together. It is no like he got infected without knowing it while they were together. He had had years to get used to the thought and he would have known what he needed to do (or not to do).

I am also surprised that she didn't cotton to the medication he was taking, but maybe he has a believable liar and had an explanation that did not involve anything contagious?

P.S. What yearly examn would that be that includes a test for HIV?

P.S. What yearly examn would that be that includes a test for HIV?

At my annual well woman check I am offered an HIV test. I don't do it because I don't need it right now but if I wasn't in a stable relationship I probably would.

They called her his "former partner" that gives me the impression that they were living together as man and wife, but not married. Under those circumstances, a lot of people stop practicing safe sex.

Also, the article said he knew he was HIV positive for five years before they took up together. It is no like he got infected without knowing it while they were together. He had had years to get used to the thought and he would have known what he needed to do (or not to do).

I am also surprised that she didn't cotton to the medication he was taking, but maybe he has a believable liar and had an explanation that did not involve anything contagious?

I think that he wasn't taking his meds. The success of the typical serodiscordant couple relies heavily on the positive partner adhering to their medication. Neither one of these people where taking care of themselves

At my annual well woman check I am offered an HIV test. I don't do it because I don't need it right now but if I wasn't in a stable relationship I probably would.

My annual doesn't offer it up. They check when you're pregnant, but not for a yearly. You have to specifically ask for the test.

Back