• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2a4snmh.jpg

Stephen Svitala​
A 71-year-old Vietnam War veteran lost his leg in a car wreck after being hit by a man who was trying to kill himself
[....]
Joseph Patton, 46 of Connellsville, is facing aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and other charges with the May 2013 wreck. Troopers filed charges Thursday.

State police say Patton left his mother's house depressed after a fight with his wife and decided to speed through a stop sign at the intersection
[....]
to wreck into an embankment.

After crossing 981, police said Patton's Chevrolet Impala hit a Chevrolet Silverado, driven by Alice Fox, head-on. They said Patton also hit Stephen Svitala, who was riding on his Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Police said Fox suffered a shattered ankle and Svitala needed his left leg amputated. Svitala said the only thing he remembers from the wreck is the sound of the medical helicopter's propellers.

"I still don't know where that road is, Hodge Road," Svitala said. He said he was just out riding his motorcycle when the crash happened.

"I think he was just trying to run into that embankment but there I was and there she was."

Svitala, a retired U.S. Steel worker and Vietnam veteran, awakened in the hospital to learn about his injuries.

"I'm pissed. You know? But I guess I'm lucky. They saved me because that thing was all tore up and I damn near died in the hospital," he said.

Svitala now uses crutches, a walker and a rolling computer chair to navigate around his home. He lives alone and completes tasks like grocery shopping and going to the laundromat alone.
[...]
Svitala said Patton was under-insured and that Svitala was responsible for about $5,000 of his own medical bills because of the wreck. He has contacted an attorney and said he is glad police charged Patton.

Police have issued a warrant for Patton's arrest. Troopers said while he was not seriously hurt immediately after the wreck, he is back in the hospital, though it was unclear if it was related to the wreck.
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/fayette-county-man-charged-with-failed-suicide-attempt-that-hurt-two-people/-/9681086/23964216/-/10b10cfz-/index.html#ixzz2qbitc9fp

I don't think suicide is inherently a cowardly or selfish act... but this? This is absolutely one. Fucking selfish to the nth degree... I always get so pissed off when I hear about someone doing this in a car where there is any chance they could hit others. You want to take yourself out? OK. Sad, but OK. But what the fuck makes you think you have the right to take innocent bystanders with you?

I feel for the drivers family but I hope he gets sued untill he has nothing. The victim was a vet. A friggin HERO on a harley!!

I don't think suicide is inherently a cowardly or selfish act... but this? This is absolutely one. Fucking selfish to the nth degree... I always get so pissed off when I hear about someone doing this in a car where there is any chance they could hit others. You want to take yourself out? OK. Sad, but OK. But what the fuck makes you think you have the right to take innocent bystanders with you?

I have to agree, if you are taking out just yourself. Just as we choose booze, illegal drugs, even food and prescribed medicine to quicken up our deaths, whatever method you choose, as long as it doesn't infringe on another's life. This guy wanted attention not death, and by golly he's got it and from more people than he intended!
This vet is obviously someone who enjoyed his independence and even though he is coping now, he will need help sooner than he would have if he were fully intact. What kind of gratitude is that, that this vet fought and came home physically whole and some stupid selfish attention whore- idiot took that away from him in his 70's!! On a Harley!!! I'm sure this vet will still manage to be bad-ass no matter his state but there is no way he should be stuck with those medical bills and without some compensation.
These are the instance where I feel like the family should be obligated to help with his daily needs. Go get his groceries and run his errands, clean his house, whatever he could previously do for and by himself; they should step in and get done, on their dime.

This is horrible, and it happened to a friend of mine. She was only 23, just graduated from college, and was driving home on the interstate when a mentally ill and suicidal man drove straight up the highway in the middle of the night as fast as he could and hit her head-on. He died, but she survived with very serious brain damage. She can no longer work or function, and must have full-time care.

This is horrible, and it happened to a friend of mine. She was only 23, just graduated from college, and was driving home on the interstate when a mentally ill and suicidal man drove straight up the highway in the middle of the night as fast as he could and hit her head-on. He died, but she survived with very serious brain damage. She can no longer work or function, and must have full-time care.

Thanks for sharing. @rebl1128
I have heard of different instances like these through the years and you always wonder how the victims are able to move on in life...so sad that there are so many people who think that their rights include infringing on another's. I can't stand a lot of shit people do but it is never my right or privilege to take another's quality of life or life, if my own or another's is not in just as much limbo. I will certainly and with no guilt meet force with force but if someone is talking shit...I am not going to shoot tem or even stab them with a small steak knife...If someone is threatening me physically in person, I will size them, the threat and any known weaknesses and strike only if I feel their strike is imminent! WTF, it ain't gotta be fair just justifiable. FUCK!!! I hate selfish people. YES. HATE.

This guy wanted attention not death, and by golly he's got it and from more people than he intended!

Yep, it was just supposed to be a giant Fuck You to the missus. Not only did he not give a shit about innocent bystanders, he was going out of his way to hurt his own family.

Same goes for all the murder-suicides. Take yourself out, but leave the kids/others alone.

too bad the selfish driver wasnt a chimo and the guy on the harley too. . . Coincedently, you kno. . . . Then that wouldnt have been so selfish. . .it would have been more like killing 2 birds with 1 stone . . . .i like that scenario better. . . But completely agree that its fuct when suicidal imbesols take innocent lives with them and or even attempt to. .. . Bullshit. . .

Just as (most) criminals do not expect to be caught, I assume most suicide-attemptees do not expect to survive. So it sadly makes sense that the most self-centered fucks would show a callous disregard to others in their "final" act, as they expect to be beyond mortal justice and human judgement after the fact. Alas, it always seems like the survivors end up with minor injuries whereas their victims end up dead or handicapped for life, when the converse "ought" to hold true. Same holds for the murder-suicides, though I guess the "success" rate for the suicide portion of those crimes is probably higher than "suicide-by-reckless-driving."

It's honestly not like he wanted to hurt anyone else but himself.
I hope something like this happens to someone who is close to you. Selfish piece of shit.

too bad the selfish driver wasnt a chimo and the guy on the harley too. . . Coincedently, you kno. . . . Then that wouldnt have been so selfish. . .it would have been more like killing 2 birds with 1 stone . . . .i like that scenario better. . . But completely agree that its fuct when suicidal imbesols take innocent lives with them and or even attempt to. .. . Bullshit. . .

You are making the driver look like a criminal for not being able to think because he wanted his own life to end at the moment. That does not make him a criminal. Maybe he had no other way to end his life. Maybe he didn't want to hurt his family. Nobody had any idea what could have been going on with this man, it's sad the things people say on here, but if something like this were attempted by a family member/friend of yours, your whole perspective would change.

Yep, it was just supposed to be a giant Fuck You to the missus. Not only did he not give a shit about innocent bystanders, he was going out of his way to hurt his own family.
How was he exactly trying to hurt his family? Have you ever known a suicidal person? Have you ever been suicidal? Probably not, since you have such an un biased opinion going on here. For all I know, and believe, he wanted to end his life, and hurt himself. Nobody else. You don't decide that. And so what if he did not care for the injured? They pressed charges for a man who tried to end his life because he could not take it, instead of listening. A man who was a vet gave an innocent man more time than he deserved. What kind of "hero" does that? Seems like a jackass who still thinks he's in the war.

It's honestly not like he wanted to hurt anyone else but himself.
I hope something like this happens to someone who is close to you. Selfish piece of shit.

Tell that to Stephen Svitala, please. Oh... you can't. Because your friend decided that crashing his car was the way to avoid others getting hurt. Because it's SO hard to kill yourself without risking other people's lives.

Seriously, please explain to me WTF is selfish about thinking someone who had no need to use a car to die, chose that way despite the greater danger it would cause other people. I've been suicidal... I thought of ways to off myself. My foremost concern? Making sure I didn't take anyone else out with me.

You are making the driver look like a criminal for not being able to think because he wanted his own life to end at the moment. That does not make him a criminal. Maybe he had no other way to end his life. Maybe he didn't want to hurt his family. Nobody had any idea what could have been going on with this man, it's sad the things people say on here, but if something like this were attempted by a family member/friend of yours, your whole perspective would change.
No. He is a crimal. There are many other ways to take your own life without involving a complete stranger. He could have found a nice tree out in the country somewhere and hung himself or in the comforts of his own home. Don't be so ignorant.

You were probably just depressed. Anyone who truly wants to end their life does not care about the outcome, just that they successfully die. This man had a family, he had problems, and I don't think it'd be easy to find another way to do it without getting caught by the people in his life.

How was he exactly trying to hurt his family? Have you ever known a suicidal person? Have you ever been suicidal? Probably not, since you have such an un biased opinion going on here. For all I know, and believe, he wanted to end his life, and hurt himself. Nobody else. You don't decide that. And so what if he did not care for the injured? They pressed charges for a man who tried to end his life because he could not take it, instead of listening. A man who was a vet gave an innocent man more time than he deserved. What kind of "hero" does that? Seems like a jackass who still thinks he's in the war.
HE COULD HAVE KILLED OTHER PEOPLE. If you crash your car into another car at a speed you think is sufficient to kill yourself, chances are pretty good that the occupants of the other vehicle will die or be horrifically injured as well.

You were probably just depressed. Anyone who truly wants to end their life does not care about the outcome, just that they successfully die. This man had a family, he had problems, and I don't think it'd be easy to find another way to do it without getting caught by the people in his life.

You have no fucking idea. Not a single one.

No. He is a crimal. There are many other ways to take your own life without involving a complete stranger. He could have found a nice tree out in the country somewhere and hung himself or in the comforts of his own home. Don't be so ignorant.
I'm not being ignorant. What is ignorant is the things people say about a man who just wanted to fucking die.

HE COULD HAVE KILLED OTHER PEOPLE. If you crash your car into another car at a speed you think is sufficient to kill yourself, chances are pretty good that the occupants of the other vehicle will die or be horrifically injured as well.
Nobody died, you're just being retarded now. He did not speed into another car, but a building. Did you think he really cared, being suicidal at the time, or even thought straight, about what else would have happened besides him possibly dying? No, of course not. Because you are a hard-headed asshat. This man is facing 8 years because somebody got there leg amputated, who's just so special because he fought for such a shitty country. How do you think his family feels? His friends? None of us have seen him. At least the other hicks get to be with their crash victims.

Nobody died, you're just being retarded now. He did not speed into another car, but a building. Did you think he really cared, being suicidal at the time, or even thought straight, about what else would have happened besides him possibly dying? No, of course not. Because you are a hard-headed asshat. This man is facing 8 years because somebody got there leg amputated, who's just so special because he fought for such a shitty country. How do you think his family feels? His friends? None of us have seen him. At least the other hicks get to be with their crash victims.
Do you not understand the meaning of the word "could" and WOW to your last sentence. Just wow.

W7Meq6d.jpg

So maybe somewhere in his 8 years he can grow some balls and figure out how to tie bedding together and off himself without harming anyone else. He deserves more than eight years really.

Maybe I sound ignorant because I cared about this person and I am close with his family. How about you hop the fuck of because nobody on this post had a clue what they were talking for or about.

Nobody cares how you feel for this person. What if he hit a family in the car and a baby died you asshat?? What if that baby was your baby? What if the baby didn't die but lost a leg? Or both? That mean he injured is still the baby to someone. You are being hella ignorant. If you know this man tell him I said to fuck off and die. For being so selfish. Thanks Hon.

Don't be ignorant, teddy. If he was that desperate to end his life, why not slam into a tree or a concrete bridge. Why hit another vehicle?

And were you bored and googling his name? It's been almost two years since anyone posted in this thread and NOW you're here? Where the fuck you been man??!! You're late to the party!! Douchewad. Seriously? You think because he could have killed others but they "only" lost a leg it excuses him? Seriously? You really are showing your stupid.

He did not speed into another car

police said Patton's Chevrolet Impala hit a Chevrolet Silverado, driven by Alice Fox, head-on. They said Patton also hit Stephen Svitala, who was riding on his Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Ummmmm.... ????????????

This man is facing 8 years

They're only trying to sentence him to 8 years? What a load of shit.

I also take it he's still alive then? Was hoping you would tell us that he ended up succesfully committing suicide at some point. This really fucking blows. Thanks for the bad news guy.

Back