• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
http://www.startribune.com/nation/150187865.html
AURORA, Colo. - A 6-year-old boy was suspended from his suburban Denver school for three days after school officials said he told a girl "I'm sexy and I know it," a line from a popular song.

D'Avonte Meadows, a first-grader at Sable Elementary School in Aurora, is accused of sexual harassment and disrupting other students, according to a letter the school district sent to his mother after he was sent home Wednesday.

School officials issued a statement saying they couldn't discuss the case, but they pointed out a school board policy that defines sexual harassment as any unwelcome sexual advance. There is no age limit.
D'Avonte's mother, Stephanie Meadows, said her son doesn't know the meaning of sexual harassment and it's the second time he has gotten in trouble for quoting "Sexy and I Know It." The song by the duo LMFAO was at the top of Billboard's Hot 100 chart for two weeks in January.

Aurora Public Schools issued a statement Thursday saying it is trying to provide an equal learning environment for all students.

"We have policies and protocol in place to prevent any disruption to the learning environment. Due to privacy laws, we are unable to discuss appropriate disciplinary consequences about a specific student," wrote spokeswoman Paula Hans.

Denver attorney Craig Silverman said elementary school students have the same rights to free speech as adults as long as they understand and follow the rules. He said school policies should allow for exceptions.

"Sometimes when you go to a zero-tolerance policy, you end up with a zero-sense policy," he said.

I think calling this sexual harassment is a bit over the top . But I can understand the school's frustration with this behavior . I'm sure some parents were less than thrilled when their child came home asking what sexy meant ,and why D'Avonte was sexy .

This is the song, if I'm not mistaken, that is used in the M & M commercials, where the M & M "strips" off his candy coating and dances "naked" with his chocolate showing with that song playing in the background. That is more than likely where he heard the song. Disruptive, more than likely yes, sexual harrassment, NEVER. I think you MUST have an understanding of what you are doing to form the intention to sexually harrass someone. He was being an disruptive, loud, aggravating little boy, nothing else. Age and knowledge should be factored into this kind of idocy.

I agree that sometimes Zero Policies can equal Zero Sense.

I'll just bet someone laughed at the commercial cubby is talking about. So kid thought maybe he could make others laugh.
This sexual harassment bullshit for kids is just, well, bullshit.

[video=youtube;s_vq_ZN-IZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vq_ZN-IZo[/video]

Yep that's the one. I'm pretty sure this is where he heard it. Why would he think it would be inappropriate? Even if he understands what's inappropriate, he saw it on Tv, he thinks it's alright.

Anybody that has had anything to do with little boys would know how aggravating, irritating, drive you crazy they can be. He needed to be told to sit down and be quiet. I just think his age should be taken into account, maybe some in-school suspension, where he's told what he did wrong was to be disruptive and not listen and then spend all day doing his school work by himself in another room and no recess or gym time or whatever these kids do to burn off some steam and I can almost guarantee you he will behave some better or at least give some thought before acting like a dumb little kid again. He will miss his friends and will be able to see them having fun while he is in tme out. Most times works like a charm. Sending him home for 3 days won't accomplish anything. In-school suspension wouldn't have made national news either, I bet.

Back