• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

TheMorningStar

is a catcus
phoebe.png

It started off with a simple question by Phoebe, an adorable little girl with long brown locks, peach-colored cheeks and big doe eyes, like a character straight out of a Disney after-school special. After seeing a person holding a cardboard sign begging for food, Phoebe wondered, "Why does that man look so sad, and why is he holding a sign in the street?"

That question to her parents, during her daily ride to daycare, sparked an idea that has helped feed nearly 18,000 hungry San Franciscans.

A grown up conversation ensued. "What can we do to help?" asked Phoebe. Her parents told her about one possible place the hungry could go for help; The food bank.

Phoebe also asked Kathleen Albert, her teacher at "With Care Day Care," about the hunger problem. Albert explained that some people fall on hard times and don't have the basics like food and clothes. Phoebe replied, "I want to raise money for the San Francisco Food Bank to feed hungry people then," she said. Her ambitious goal was to raise $1,000, in two months. Why $1,000? No one knows; Phoebe couldn't even count denominations of money before the project.

"Phoebe focused on the smaller picture, and what she could do," her teacher explained. She decided to collect cans as a project to complete her mission. Phoebe knew that she could raise money by recycling cans, because her dad would bring her and her sister to trade cans for cash on the weekends.

Albert, a spunky, grey-haired woman, with big Coke-bottle round, purple rimmed glasses, who resembles a jovial, energetic, Sunday strip comic book caricature, admits, "Although, I immediately supported Phoebe's lofty goal, I thought, 'Caaaaans?' I didn't think a 5-year-old could possibly raise that much money in just two months time." And as adults sometimes are...She was wrong.

Phoebe responded personally to every donation, no matter how large or small. She would skip recess, instead counting money and writing thank-you notes to all who gave. "Little Phoebe was determined and never once complained," says Albert, "They looked at it as, 'it doesn't have to be big.' We talked about it in terms of Barack Obama...and how it was the little money and the little donations. So when people came to the door with one or two cans, people we didn't even know, she would say, oh, that's five cents, that's ten cents, that's fifteen cents. She understood, that you start off small, and you can make it bigger, bigger, bigger."

Phoebe's grand total: $3,736.30. How many hungry people will that amount feed? Just ask Phoebe, she'll tell you "Seventeen-thousand something." The exact amount, according to Ash, 17,800 hungry people will be fed, thanks to Phoebe's kindness, compassion and determination.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/toan-lam/5-year-old-girl-feeds-nea_b_244854.html

Last Thursday, Paul Ash, the Executive Director of the food bank, visited With Care to receive her donation check for $3,736 (see a video of the event here). Applied to the food bank's impressive network, Phoebe's gift translates into $33,624 worth of food, or enough to provide 17,971 meals.

Its special circumstances make this gift meaningful for the food bank. "We get many gifts of this size, but with this one it’s a real emotional boost," said Mr. Ash. "I'm going to be speaking to a bunch of lawyers tonight, and I'm going to tell them about her. I'll say, ‘If Phoebe Russell, five years old, can raise $3,700, we as adults can do more than we're doing.’"

http://www.tonic.com/article/five-year-old-donor-feeds-17971-people/

That is such an amazing story. I'm always so impressed by the ability of each and every one of us to make a difference - if we decide to. Phoebe decided to, and she fed almost 18 thousand people. And she's 5 years old. Good for Phoebe!

This sweet child has done more to help others than most of will ever do in a lifetime and she's only 5 yo! Amazing and absolutely inspirational.

I suspect little Phoebe Russell will be heard of through out her life doing special things just like this. A special child. A special soul.

What a little cutie and so smart for her age. What a wonderful thing she has done...her parents have instilled values in her...imagine THAT!!!! :proud2:

So refreshing from the garbage we normally hear!!!!!! :dance:

an angel !! so young yet she saw a need and responded. don't forget the parents; someone taught her responsibility, compassion and supported her in her crusade. major props to her parents, they are fine people:angel5:

Back