• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

VXIII

Queen of the Monkeys
jazmin.jpg
jszmin.jpg

The annual baby barbeque is continuing in full force with the newest beautiful baby girl Jazmin Green. This will be Kennesaw Countys 2nd contribution:
A 2-year-old girl died Monday afternoon after being left in a van outside a Clayton County daycare center for at least two hours, police said.

"I just don't understand how they could do that to my baby,” April McAlister, Jasmine’s mother, told Channel 2 Action News. “They just kept saying she fell asleep between the seats and they didn't realize she was gone.”

The toddler was left in the van after a field trip to Chuck E. Cheese, said Lt. Tina Daniel of the Clayton County police. The child went on the field trip, but was left alone in the van while staff and other children returned inside the daycare center.

The child was transported to Southern Regional Medical Center, but did not survive, Daniel said.

Temperatures reached the middle 90s Monday.

The daycare center is in the 1600 block of Thrasher Court near Jonesboro, Officer John Schneller with Clayton County police said.

That address is the location of Marlo's Magnificent Early Learning Center, according to Bright from the Start, the state agency which monitors childcare centers. The website lists Marlo Fallings as the center's administrator.

The same center was cited during a March visit by the state for not documenting a field trip form indicating which children were transported, according to the report. State law requires that a check be done after the completion of a trip.

A woman who answered the phone at the center around 5 p.m. hung up on a reporter who inquired about the incident.

Officers will conduct a thorough investigation to determine if any charges will be filed, Daniel said.

Monday's death was the second in the metro area in less than a month involving a child left inside a vehicle. On May 25, a 5-month-old baby died after being left in a car outside a Kennesaw daycare center.

http://www.ajc.com/news/clayton/girl-2-dies-in-982501.html

Kennesaw police are investigating the death of a five-month-old girl who died after being left in a parked car for over five hours Wednesday.

A family member apparently forgot the child was asleep in a car seat when she went to work at the Ivy Hall Day School on Tuscan Heights Boulevard Wednesday afternoon, Kennesaw police spokesman Scott Luther said.

"Several hours later, the baby was found unresponsive inside the car and after attempts to revive her, she was pronounced deceased at the incident location," Luther said.

The high temperature in Kennesaw Wednesday afternoon was 90 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/five-month-old-baby-958337.html

Last edited:
Omg you just don't forget a baby is in the car!!! I have no option I have to send my kids to nursery but if they left one of them in the car to bake to death I would kill them !!

These are the stupidest and most senseless child deaths. They happen EVERY summer and no one seems to pay attention and learn from the stories.

Frustrating and sad.

I can't even imagine what that mother is going through. Or how she didn't show up at that daycare armed with a giant ass gun like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. I would go absolutely batshit.

I cannot stand cases like this....infuriates me beyond words!

To be left by a by a caregiver, omfg, I'd want blood! ....there are procedures people!
inexcusable on any level. Baby girl did not go easy, I hope they don't get off easy.

Rest in peace baby Jazmin Green.

How did the little girl fall asleep between the seats? She was 2 and should have been in a car seat. And why in the hell did they not take a head count? If you are going to take a child on a field trip anywhere, you are responsible for that child making it safely back to the original destination. If they do not get charged, I am gonna be pissed. I hope the parents of that little girl sue the fuck out of that daycare center. And make sure they pay for funeral expenses and counseling and anything else this family needs.

I hate it when people are responsible for a child that is not theirs and they forget about them. I believe when you are not a parent, you don't think about things like this. You have a routine, and things outside that routine can be easily forgotten. I feel terrible for the family and the loss of an infant who had a such a short life.

After reading about all these heat deaths of children being left in cars I purchased one of those special mirrors that gives you the ability to see the babe in your rear view mirror. I read too many stories about exhausted parents forgetting they had their kid in a car seat and going to work only to find a dead child at the end of their shift.

Now I am always paranoid when I go out with my daughter and make it a conscious thought that she's in the van with me. If I left her in the van and she suffered or died I would probably die of guilt.

I've stated before I am terrified of even leaving the little one I babysit in the car while the A/C is ON when I run to lock my doors. I pre-cool the car before putting her in (her parents don't). When I worked with an after school provider we searched the entire vehicle for ANYTHING left behind. We knew all the kids were off b/c we had a check list of who and when to pick up and checked them when we got them and checked when they got off the bus and crossed them off when they were picked up at night. I am too paranoid to forget a kid. Hell I wont even stop for a drink or gas with my DOG with me anymore with the heat. It nearly always adds another hour to my errands to go take her home instead of stopping for five minutes but hey, she's happy, cool and ALIVE when I take her home!

This is slightly off topic...
I had a conversation with my father-in-law's girlfriend. She was complaining about not having a car of her own.(She's had two DUIs and is three sheets to the wind by 10am everyday) I told her I needed a car and didn't care if it was a junker as long as it runs and has A/C. She tried to tell me I don't need A/C. "I have children, I need A/C", I told her. She said,"I've lived here all my life and I didn't need A/C when my son was young". It's 110 right now, and it will only get hotter.

Where else would it be 110 degrees at almost 6pm? Hehe

Back in 2001, we drove through Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico in early August with no air conditioning... got stuck in traffic at the Hoover Dam for two hours, where we went through 8 pairs of AA batteries trying to keep these little hand-held mister fans alive. Survived, just, but I came out in the most incredible heat rash: all the skin on my torso turned into one enormous thick red swirl of hives. We had planned, being completely broke, on camping. Ha. Ha. Ha.

You need air conditioning.

I'm in Georgia, where this sweet little baby died, and we are in a heat wave right now, it is usually in the high 80s-low 90s this time of year but this year it is just awful, today it was 93 at noon and if it hadn't rained it would have been 100 at 6 pm.

I don't get why this happened either, I used to be a cub scout leader so I had my share of kids on field trips, at restaurants, etc, it was required to count count and count some more.

You have to care about what you are doing and who you are caring for, and I'm guessing the folks in this story just don't care.

3 Arrested for Jazmin's Death...
The owner of a Georgia day care center and two employes have been charged with cruelty to children and manslaughter in the death of a 2-year-old girl who was left in a locked van for two hours while daytime temperatures soared into the mid-90s. Marlo Fannings, the owner of the center, Fanning's daughter Quantabia Hopkins and a teenager whose name has not been released were arrested and charged with cruelty to children in the second degree, involuntary manslaughter and reckless conduct, according to the Clayton County Police Department.

Officer John K. Schneller said it was Hopkins who realized at approximately 3:30 p.m. that Jazmin was not inside the center. The field trip van had returned to the daycare center between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. The temperature outside was about 93 degrees.

"Hopkins went into the parking lot and found Jazmin still in her car seat inside the van," Schneller said in a press statement, adding that the 2-year old was nonresponsive and didn't appear to be breathing.

The child's mother, April McAlister, spoke with ABC News' Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV.

"They just kept saying she fell asleep between the seats, and they didn't realize she was gone," said McAlister, describing her daughter as smart, lovable and playful. "I just don't understand how they can do that to my baby."

McAlister, along with Jazmine's father Checo Green, said that they want the daycare center closed.

"You miss my child for three hours? That's not a mistake, that's a problem," said Green.

According to the ChildcareCenter.us, a website that collects information on childcare centers, Marlo's Magnificent Early Learning cares for over 40 children of infant, toddler, preschool and school-age.

An average of 38 children die every year in hot cars from heat-related deaths, according to Kids And Cars, a group that documents and studies the dangers associated with children and motor vehicles. The organization reports that between 1998 and 2010, 495 children died from vehicular heat stroke, with 2010 breaking the record with 49 deaths.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/arrested-death-toddler-hot-daycare-van/story?id=13895335

Last edited:
-- Friday afternoon, a jury found a daycare owner and her daughter not guilty of felony murder charges but convicted the two on other charges in the death of a 2-year-old girl left in their care.
Marlo Fallings, 44, and her daughter Quantabia Hopkins, 26, were facing multiple charges in the death of Jazmin Green, who died after being left outside a Jonesboro daycare while strapped to a car seat on June 20, 2011.

After nearly three hours outside in hot summer temperatures, Green was retrieved and rushed to the hospital. She did not survive.

After deliberating for more than 3 hours, a jury found Fallings and Hopkins not guilty of felony murder charges. Fallings was found guilty of reckless conduct. Hopkins was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, reckless conduct and contributing to the deprivation of a minor. She was found not guilty of another count of cruelty to children.

After the verdict, Fallings fainted in the courtroom. She was quickly revived and was able to walk to her vehicle. She did not make any comments.

State Rep. Sandra Scott (D-Rex) has been working closely with Jazmin's parents for the past three years. This happened in Scott's district, and in 2012, she introduced the Jazmin Green Act -- which would require vans to have an alarm reminding the driver to check for kids left inside. The measure did not pass, but Scott says Friday's verdict makes her all the more determined to try again.

"I'm going to keep reintroducing the bill until the bill becomes law," Scott. said. "Because I think that any daycare provider should want to pay $300 to help ensure safety for all kids."

Since little Jazmin's death, Scott says at least three daycare centers in her Clayton County district have installed the alarms. She says she plans to keep reaching out to encourage more to do the same.

Clayton County Deputy Chief Assistant District Attorney, Deah Warren, wrapped up her closing arguments in less than 30 minutes, telling the jury that in order to find the defendants guilty, all they had to find was that there was reckless disregard by the accused that caused the death of Green.

Warren said that at no time during the three-day trial has she ever suggested there was an intent to cause the child's death, but she pointed out the circumstances that led to it were enough to show reckless disregard.

The prosecution in the case called 12 witnesses and presented 30 exhibits. The defense team maintained all along that leaving Jazmin in the van was nothing more than an accident. The defense spent less than an hour and presented only two witnesses,former workers at Marlo's Magnificent Early Learning Center in Jonesboro.

"It's rough. I'm looking at these people that I trusted for four years with my kids," Jazmin's mother, April McAlister, said.
[...]
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...17/clayton-county-jazmin-green-death/7838383/

Back