• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

WannaBeMaybe

Trusted Member
Trial is just starting for this case, and didn't find it on the site. There's a lot to this story, and very sad that so many people failed Alexandru.

Apologies for it being so long.....just wanted to get the history in and didn't want to double/triple post.

Homicide detectives are investigating the disturbing discovery of an extremely emaciated youth in a Citadel home.
The emergency call came just after 10 p.m. Tuesday to the Citadel Dr. N.W. bungalow for reports of a deceased youth, police said.

An autopsy was set for Wednesday, police saying no details would be available until after it is completed.

Sources said the state of the child’s extremely emaciated body was shocking and upsetting.

It is unknown whether immediate calls for assistance for the child were made.

EMS spokesman Stuart Brideaux said the teen could not be revived once paramedics arrived.

The teen, who is believed to be 15, is said to have lived in the home with his parents and several siblings, some of whom are adults.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/0...-of-a-minor-in-northwest-community-of-citadel

While an emergency call came in just after 10 p.m. Tuesday for reports of a deceased youth, sources said it is believed family of the teen initially turned to religious support to deal with possible medical problems, ultimately ending in tragedy.
Police have said little on the case and could not confirm that information, saying only circumstances are suspicious and additional autopsy findings are required to offer more answers.

They are not releasing the cause or nature of the death of the teen, believed to be 15.

Several members of the family who live in the home, including parents and other children, have been questioned by police but it is unknown if anyone was taken into custody or charged.

It is believed the child suffered from medical issues, possibly diabetes, which may have played a role in his deterioration, sources said.

It is not known if the call to emergency crews was delayed but it was too late to revive the boy when paramedics arrived at the Citadel Dr. N.W. home.

Thursday, homicide detectives and crime scenes investigators were at the house.

It is believed child welfare officials were involved with the family years ago but details were not available about why and what action were taken.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/1...d-extremely-emaciated-in-citadel-home-elusive

he first paramedic to see Alexandru Radita dead in his bed couldn’t believe what she saw, court heard Tuesday.
Deborah Baumback said Radita was so thin he was almost unrecognizable as a human being.

“I actually remember walking in the room thinking ‘what the hell is that?’” Baumback said.

“The patient was so emaciated to the point he was mummified.”

Charged with first-degree murder in the 15-year-old’s May 7, 2013, death are his parents, Emil, 59, and Rodica Radita, 53.

Baumback said the boy was just skin and bones when paramedics arrived at the Radita’s Citadel residence in northwest Calgary.

“The eyeballs were sunken in, every rib you could see,” she said.

“He was so, so extraordinarily thin.”

And Baumback said she wasn’t given much help by a man in the room who identified himself as the boy’s father.

“He was not forthcoming and had to be repeatedly questioned to get the answers,” Baumback said.

She also said emergency personnel arrived at the home to find a group of 15 to 20 people in the living room chanting and praying.

Meanwhile, in her opening address, Crown prosecutor Susan Pepper said she intends to show the Raditas planned and deliberated their son’s killing by neglecting him for years.

Pepper told Justice Karen Horner that Alex weighed a mere 37 lbs. at the time of his death.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/05/2...couple-accused-of-neglecting-alexandru-radita

Protected as a child, forgotten as a teen.
With two Calgary parents facing first-degree murder charges in the starvation death of their severely emaciated 15-year-old son, the question now is not so much why — but how social services in two provinces failed to protect a child known to be in trouble.

The death of Alexandru Gabriel Radita in his Citadel Drive home ended a short life rife with medical issues, and plagued by adults who couldn’t agree on how to treat him.

On one side there were doctors in the Lower Mainland, who diagnosed the sickly, dark-haired boy with diabetes requiring intense medical care and a three-week stay in hospital.

On the other side, an immigrant mother and father distrustful of the medical system, who saw physicians focusing on only one illness, when it was clear to them their boy had many.

“They are accusing us that we have medically neglected our son, and pursuing Family Services to take our son from us,” reads a letter dated Dec. 27, 2003, reportedly written by the boy’s father to the United Nations Commission for Human Rights.

“If Everything HAD been done Properly In the Beginning we SHOULD not be here today.”

Repeated visits to the hospital, and disagreements over what was wrong with the boy — his parents second-guessing the doctors and making their own diagnoses — finally led to the ailing Alexandru being taken into foster care by the B.C. government.

That was Dec. 2003, and the next year saw his family — including seven siblings — in a very public battle for custody, with stories on the fight appearing in Romanian community forums.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/1...police-say-died-from-starvation-and-infection

Alexandru Radita was “in a significant state of starvation” at the time of his death, an expert told his parents’ murder trial Wednesday.
Dr. Daniele Pacaud said autopsy photos of the 15-year-old also showed he had multiple bed ulcers “that seemed to indicate a state of neglect.”

Emil, 59, and Rodica Radita, 53, are each charged with first-degree murder in the May 7, 2013, death of the teen from bacterial sepsis caused by complications related to poor nutritional and physical care.

Pacaud said Alexandru would have been obviously ill in the months leading up to his death.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2016/05/25/22636713.html

37 lbs! I just can't picture this, a 15 year old weighing less than a 2 year old. Could Keto-Acidosis do this to him, I know once when I couldn't afford insulin, no insurance, I went about a year without and lost about 50lbs and the moment I got insulin I gained 20 lbs like over night.

So preventable.

I tried to find how much a teen skeleton might weigh, but the results were frustratingly vague (most were stated as a small percentage of a person's total weight - which clearly doesn't apply here). I have to think that this poor soul wasn't too much more than skeletal at this point.

I tried to find how much a teen skeleton might weigh, but the results were frustratingly vague (most were stated as a small percentage of a person's total weight - which clearly doesn't apply here). I have to think that this poor soul wasn't too much more than skeletal at this point.

I tried to weigh one once, just for shits and giggles. But it's too damn hard to cut all the meat off.

15 year old diabetic boy weighed 37lbs at death - parents charged.
(Sad photos at the link)

http://glbn.ca/J9IsIX

Shocking new court exhibit photos have been released in the trial of two parents accused of killing their teenage son.

Emil and Rodica Radita were arrested in February 2014 and pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the trial by judge alone on Tuesday.

Police allege they denied Alex (Alexandru) Radita treatment for diabetes, which ultimately killed him. Court heard Tuesday Alex, 15, weighed 37 pounds when he died.

On Thursday, the judge approved the release of several photos showing the Radita household and Alex just three months before he died.

What is with parents in Calgary!?
Ezekiel Stephan and now Alex.

Posted from mobile, will put photos on imgur later if someone doesn't feel like doing it for me. The kid is scary sick looking!

This poor precious boy. :-(

Reading the Scriptures taped to the wall it appears that his parents may have believed prayer alone was supposed to save him.

I hope they get life.

37lbs?- wtf! My daughter almost weighs that much n she's 3. And she's a short 3yo. I'm surprised he got down to that weight without going into a diabetic coma a long time ago. How could he be left with these monsters and forgotten like nobody gave a fuck about him. Nobody did, that's sadly the sad fucked up reality about this shit.

37 lbs! I just can't picture this, a 15 year old weighing less than a 2 year old. Could Keto-Acidosis do this to him, I know once when I couldn't afford insulin, no insurance, I went about a year without and lost about 50lbs and the moment I got insulin I gained 20 lbs like over night.

So preventable.

Insulin controls how the body absorbes nutrients and calories. Without insulin in the body, it can't absorbe them effectively. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I have been a year without insurance. Before, my body made insulin still, although not enough. Three months ago, I started loosing weight. I ended up in the emergency room with sepsis and respiratory failure due to pneumonia. I was also in DKA, and my kidneys shut down. By the time I was released from the hospital, I had lost 40 pounds. It was discovered at the hospital that my body had stopped making insulin. I have to take shots now. Diabetes can cause weight loss and malnutrition, as well as growth delays in kids, but for him to get to this state, I'd say he had to have been neglected for a long time.

http://edmontonjournal.com/storylin...nts-guilty-of-1st-degree-murder-in-sons-death
Calgary – The painful death of a diabetic boy who was so emaciated he appeared mummified could have been avoided if his parents had not isolated and neglected him for years, a judge said Friday in finding the couple guilty of first-degree murder.

Justice Karen Horner said Emil Radita, 60, and Rodica Radita, 54, were equally guilty of murdering 15-year-old Alexandru.
[....]
Horner said by isolating Alex he was unlawfully confined and totally reliant on his parents. She said it was also clear that the Raditas knew what they were doing in denying him a sufficient amount of insulin and the long-term consequences.

“The evidence underscores that the Raditas were well aware how ill Alex was and still refused to treat his medical condition with proper insulin protocol and medical care,” she said.

“They knew he was dying.”

Neither parent showed any emotion or had a comment during sentencing.

Justice Horner sentenced them to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

“Your actions in starving your son Alex to death are beyond comprehension. You persisted in arrogant confidence…until he was dead.”

Witnesses testified that the Raditas refused to accept that their son had diabetes and failed to treat his disease until he was hospitalized near death in British Columbia in 2003.
[....]

The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear the appeals of a Calgary couple found guilty of killing their diabetic teenage son.

Emil and Rodica Radita were convicted of first-degree murder in 2017 in the death of 15-year-old Alexandru and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.
[....]
In handing down her verdict, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Karen Horner said the couple was in gross denial of Alexandru's disease.

The Alberta Court of Appeal rejected their appeals, saying there was ample and uncontested medical evidence about the boy's cause of death.

As usual, the Supreme Court gave no reasons for refusing to hear the couple's cases.

Back