• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
WQG1Ahx.jpg

Adrian, MO: 12 year old Kalee Chandler died on Monday afternoon after the horse she was competing on at a charity rodeo apparently had a heart attack and collapsed, pinning her to the ground.

Ruth Walter, who organized the event, said she heard the crash and called 911 as she ran to the scene.

Spectators struggled to lift the large horse, and Chandler was 'pretty lifeless' but the time she was finally freed, Samples said.

Paramedics arrived to perform CPR before she was transported 60 miles to the children's hospital and put on life support.

'When something like this hits your community you're just stunned,' Alan Mundey told KCTV5on Monday.

'I think everybody woke up this morning and the first thought was, "How's Kalee doing?"'

He added: 'She could ride a horse, she could really ride a horse.'

A funeral home in her hometown of Butler announced on Monday afternoon that Chandler had passed away, leaving behind her parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-crushed-horse-collapsed-heart-attack.html

How do they know the horse had a heart attack? Maybe the dad, wanting his little girl to win more than anything, drugged the horse so it would run faster and his plan came with unintended consequences.

Next season on CSI: DD

But seriously, that's terrible. I'm sorry she went out like that especially since she probably knew she was dying.

My Nana told me when my son died he was just so special that God needed him in Heaven. I wish I believed more in all that- when I passed I didn't see anything and definitely not a bright light. I guess I envy believers ♡♡♡ My heart breaks for these parents. The other day in the grocery store I saw a boy & thought that's probably what Kaiden would look like - that's the right age. You wonder if they would love ball like dad or art like mom. You imagine all the little girls swooning. You know you were robbed. Let's HOPE it wasn't by his hands ♡♡♡

This is really sad. No matter how quickly they got to her, the horse probably went down the wrong way. It would be 1,200-1,1,600 lbs of dead weight to move. When horses go down on you it is definitely a scary experience for even a professional, just hope she didn't have to go through too much fear... Poor baby.
@Fives My Charm I am so sorry for your loss. I've had to bury two babies and it's definitely a hard road to walk. It does get easier and less all consuming, but the "what ifs " never go away unfortunately. I'm so thankful I have Devon now and it takes away some of the pain in time. Hopefully it gets easier for you too.

@Fives My Charm -- I am so, so sorry for your loss. I have a great deal of respect for any parent who can just survive something like that... I just don't know that I could. I've got a medical condition with a pretty grim prognosis, and when I was told how long my life would probably be, I swear the first thing I thought was, "Well at least I won't have to suffer that" because it was always something I knew would be -- well, the worst that could happen, of course.
I know exactly what you mean about the wishing you could think like those who get all goofy-happy and say stuff like, "I can't wait to get to Heaven!" Because really, I'd love to feel that way! I'd love to think this isn't it, that 51 years alive on this earth isn't the sum of -- me. That I'll see those I've lost and welcome those I love as they join me later.... God, my life would be so different if I thought that way, especially now!
"There aren't any atheists in foxholes" they used to say when I was in (USAF.) But yeah... yeah there are, they just grab onto whatever they can when they're scared. Like Death Row inmates are keen to do. Bet your ass though, that when they're at the club later that day (or when they're released from jail, if ever) that newfound "God" is gonna very quickly go by way of -- well, when we don't need a thing, we tend to put it away. And God (like lawyers, really) is often someone we just call up when in trouble. But I'd love to have that kind of faith! I pretend to have it for my kids, thinking if they "have it" too, they'll get through this a lot easier. And my daughters are good with it, they absolutely believe they'll see me again, that I'm going to a great place, and no way am I going to ruin that for them by singing the Miserable Atheist song, God no. My son, though, he knows... and it's harder. So yeah... I'm so hearing you on that.

I've never had a near-death (let alone an "I died and...") story of my own, but I read all of them I can and listen to people speak of the "big light, brighter than all hell" they saw, and their (amazingly similar) stories of something I think most think they saw, or were trippy from the shock and/or medication to hallucinate it (the lights in surgery are huge and bright; I always think that's where that came from...) Anyway, I don't ever say, "Oh bullshit" because I have no idea what they saw. But even though I'm nodding enthusiastically while hearing their accounts, I do think it's... it's not what happened. I hope I'm wrong, Hell of course I do. Just very difficult -- feels like I'm about to board a plane that I'm 90% sure is gonna go down, and if it doesn't, I've no idea where in fact it is going. And you know, that's sort of terrifying, really.

Sorry if I got off-topic, didn't mean to... Really just meant to say I'm just profoundly sorry for your loss, and I hope that whatever peace there is to be found in this life, you're able to find it and that it comforts you as much as possible. (So lame, I know... Sorry.) You've done the thing I've always suspected I'd fail at: Going on, stepping up and looking after your other children and yourself as well as you can. Just an extraordinary display of strength and the power of will, I think. Thanks so much for posting that, I'm glad to hear someone else has thought like I'm thinking. And again, I'm so, so sorry for all you've been through. Just surviving it makes you every kind of awesome.

***EDITED to add: Oh, and rodeos suck. I get it, around here people are quick to defend them, but honestly... Yeah. Yeah, I don't think "the animals love it!" like I've been told. Yeah, because if I were, say, a baby cow, it would be a damned dream come true for someone to keep me penned up, let me go just to have them throw a rope around my fucking neck, slam me to the ground, and hogtie me while everyone cheered! I'm not saying she deserved this or anything like that... I'll bet her parents are into rodeos and that's kind of a generational thing, I know. And I know people who think don't feel the animals feel a thing when hurt (oh come on!) so it's okay to use them for sport like this. But yeah... I'm all for raising animals to eat, but I think the rodeo practices are cruel and inhumane, and it pisses me off when people are surprised when an animal (intentionally or not) causes someone injury or worse. You treat something like that, and it's probably not going to end well.
I've got four kids of my own and I can't imagine what her parents/family is going through and I'm sorry they're hurting. I don't mean to take away from that. But given the nature of the rodeo, the nature of that competition... I hope they're putting the blame where it belongs: on the outdated and unnecessary practices of the rodeo, and not on that animal.
***Again, sorry for the lengthy post and the side-tracking. You're welcome!

Last edited:
Poor little mite.
At least she was doing something she loved and excelled at.

Why the crap-filled rating, ?

Sorry if I offended (you, or any) rodeo affiliates or fans, I've just never seen any real sport in terrifying animals of any kind. I specifically said I didn't blame this child in any way, just disagreed with the practice. If that's the contention point, agree to disagree?

If you were crapping on the subject-shift to religion, I'm sorry. I thought it was relevant in that this girl's parents are going to have to find strength
from somewhere, and I opined whether it would be their faith -- their
church, religion,etc. Telling my personal account of how that worked (or not) for me wasn't really necessary i know. Im sorry if that bothered you, just felt compelled to respond to the previous post regarding faith and its ability to provide peace in difficult times. Relevant in most stories in this category really.

I expected to see Jack's name when i saw the crap one... He's awarded me my only ones 'til now (shocking i know!)
Just let me know which part was crap-worthy, would ya? And again, i'm sorry if i offended you; definitely wasnt my intention!
--TJ

Last edited:
How do they know the horse had a heart attack? Maybe the dad, wanting his little girl to win more than anything, drugged the horse so it would run faster and his plan came with unintended consequences.

Next season on CSI: DD

But seriously, that's terrible. I'm sorry she went out like that especially since she probably knew she was dying.

Know this is late, sorry, but there are certain...characteristics when a horse goes down from a heart attack. It's sudden and it's not pretty. They probably can't be sure until autopsy, but with the amount of experienced horse people that would be there, I'm pretty sure more than one will have seen a horse go down from a heart attack before.

Thoughts with the family of this poor little girl. What a horrible, tragic accident.

Why the crap-filled rating, ?

Sorry if I offended (you, or any) rodeo affiliates or fans, I've just never seen any real sport in terrifying animals of any kind. I specifically said I didn't blame this child in any way, just disagreed with the practice. If that's the contention point, agree to disagree?

If you were crapping on the subject-shift to religion, I'm sorry. I thought it was relevant in that this girl's parents are going to have to find strength
from somewhere, and I opined whether it would be their faith -- their
church, religion,etc. Telling my personal account of how that worked (or not) for me wasn't really necessary i know. Im sorry if that bothered you, just felt compelled to respond to the previous post regarding faith and its ability to provide peace in difficult times. Relevant in most stories in this category really.

I expected to see Jack's name when i saw the crap one... He's awarded me my only ones 'til now (shocking i know!)
Just let me know which part was crap-worthy, would ya? And again, i'm sorry if i offended you; definitely wasnt my intention!
--TJ
No. I'm sorry, it was mistake.
Because you didn't address me directly, I didn't evrn know you were speaking to me. I read your post and was nosy about who crapped on your post. Clicked on the list and it was ME.
:YOW:

Know this is late, sorry, but there are certain...characteristics when a horse goes down from a heart attack. It's sudden and it's not pretty. They probably can't be sure until autopsy, but with the amount of experienced horse people that would be there, I'm pretty sure more than one will have seen a horse go down from a heart attack before.

Thoughts with the family of this poor little girl. What a horrible, tragic accident.
I was implying that the heart attack may not have been natural, not that it wasn't a heart attack.

I was implying that the heart attack may not have been natural, not that it wasn't a heart attack.
That seems harsh and completely unfounded. This was probably the little girls horse, who she would have adored. With no evidence that anyone drugged the horse (for a kids rodeo competition? It's not high stakes sports here.) I know this is DD and we expect the worst, but sometimes things are just a tragic accident.

That seems harsh and completely unfounded. This was probably the little girls horse, who she would have adored. With no evidence that anyone drugged the horse (for a kids rodeo competition? It's not high stakes sports here.) I know this is DD and we expect the worst, but sometimes things are just a tragic accident.

The first part of my original post was a joke and not intended to be taken seriously, it was a reference to a plot point on an episode of CSI Miami. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1256046/synopsis

Not to be word police, but it's called a necropsy

Back