• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pakistan-pesticide-poisoned-sweets-grandfather-celebrate-grandson-birth/

The celebration of the birth of a grandson quickly turned into a tragedy for Umar Hayat, a resident of Layyah in Pakistan's sprawling Punjab province.

Ten people, mostly relatives, died and others were sickened after consuming a baked treat he had purchased and handed out to mark the occasion.

Hayat bought treats from a local sweetshop on April 17 to distribute among friends and family at a gathering in his home. But celebrations turned to pandemonium as the people who ate the sweets quickly fell ill.

Five people lost their lives on the spot, according to local news reports, and by that evening 10 had died. Dozens more were admitted to various hospitals in the region.

According to local police officials, the death toll from the tainted confectionary had risen to at least 23 on Monday, with another 52 victims still undergoing hospital treatment for poisoning. Some reports suggested as many as 25 were dead.

Among the dead were the newborn boy's father and seven of his uncles.

:wtf:

Say what you will about these 3rd-world shitholes, but they do have some spectacular catastrophes.:shrug:

Last edited:
Bloody hell. Quality control, people. Its not rocket science.

Fucking Pakistan. As usual, they have absurd priorities. They can have a nuclear program but apparently some basic Quality Assurance regulations for businesses to follow is still in the too hard basket.

Hell, they probably do have basic QA laws and regulations, but this corrupt fuck up of a country is too busy trying to fleece each other (when they're not blowing each other up) to care.

Primitive cesspit.

This used to happen in the West, too, 150 years ago. The Victorians used arsenic in a great many things, and sometimes it got into the food supply by accident.

Absolutely tragic......

This used to happen in the West, too, 150 years ago. The Victorians used arsenic in a great many things, and sometimes it got into the food supply by accident.
Its still happening...
Parents commonly give rice to their babies as a first food. Now, researchers say infants fed rice-based foods may have significantly higher "inorganic" arsenic concentrations in their urine than babies who never eat rice.

The highest arsenic concentrations were found in infants who frequently ate baby rice cereal, with levels more than three times that of babies who didn't eat rice, the study reports.

Babies who ate foods mixed with rice or rice-based snacks had arsenic levels nearly double those of non-rice eaters, according to the report published April 25 in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016...her-arsenic-levels-study-finds/9601461686185/

Candy and pesticide simply don't mix.

Unless you put them in a mixer, apparently, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

http://news.sky.com/story/1691551/pakistan-sweet-shop-owner-kills-30-with-poison
Khalid Mehmood confessed to putting poison in the sweets to take revenge on his older brother, police told the AFP news agency.

Mehmood believed elder brother Tariq, who owned the sweet shop with him, "insulted and abused" him in a business dispute, it is alleged.

"I wanted to teach him a lesson," police investigator Mohammad Afzal quoted him as saying.

"I was so angry that I mixed the pesticides bottle in the sweets being baked at that time."

The poisoned batch was purchased by a local man who gave the sweets to family and friends celebrating the birth of his grandson.
[....]
Both the Mehmood brothers were arrested, along with one of their employees.

The brothers are due to appear in court in central Punjab province on Saturday, Mr Afzal said.

First time doing this I hope I did it correctly

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oned-sweets/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_1_na

In India and Pakistan, laddus, ball-shaped sweets made of flour, minced dough and sugar, are for special festive occasions, like holidays, weddings and births. And on a Wednesday in mid-April, Umar Hayat and his family had much to celebrate in his village in Pakistan’s Punjab province, the birth of a grandson, Abdullah.

According to the newspaper Dawn, he invited scores of relatives to his small mud hut in Karor Lal Esan, dispatching his son in advance to buy five kilograms (about 11 pounds) of the treat, enough to serve everyone. Of course, they gobbled them down, especially the children.

But as they did, they started vomiting, one after the other, in quick succession. They were rushed to the local hospital, Dawn reported, where they only became sicker. Then, one by one, they started dying. By Thursday of that week, 12 members of Hayat’s family were dead, among them eight sons, a daughter and three grandchildren.

At the same time, several dozen others who had purchased sweets from the same Tariq Hotel and Sweet Shop, also took horribly ill and were rushed to the hospital. By this week, 19 more who had consumed the sweets were dead.

The tragedy became a great mystery.

Rameez Bukhari, a senior police officer from the local district, suggested that a worker at the shop “inadvertently” added pesticide to the laddus mix. “There was a pesticide shop close by which was being renovated, and the owner had left his pesticides at the bakery for safe keeping,” Bukhari was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

“A baker may have used a small packet in the sweet mixture,” he said, but added that police were awaiting the results of laboratory testing.

The Chief Minister of Punjab paid a visit to the village, assuring the locals there would be a thorough investigation.

Local health officials shut down the shop and sent samples to a laboratory in Lahore.

Friday, Dawn and other news outlets reported that the mystery was solved. Authorities finally tracked down the alleged cause of the mass poisoning when the younger brother of the sweet shop’s owner confessed that he had spiked the sweets with a pesticide. He wanted “to teach him [his brother] a lesson,” he reportedly told police.

The 18-year-old, identified as Khalid Mahmood, reportedly claimed his brother had “tortured him” and “insulted him on every trivial thing,” according to Pakistan’s SuchTV.

According to media reports in Pakistan, Khalid said that he laced sweets with a poison named Chlorfenapyr. Police recovered an empty bottle of the chemical hidden in sunflower fields on the information provided by the accused, reported Abb Takk TV.

Hmmm... "inadvertently” added pesticide !!!?? :whistle:
Well I'm sure a -"sorry for the mix up" will fix everything... Considering they are DEAD! I'm sure everyone will understand that you were just upset you didn't feel like your brother was nice to you, SO you HAD to teach him a lesson! Poor kid... :YOW:

Last edited:
The 18year old, identified as
Khalid Mahmood, reportedly claimed his brother had “tortured him” and “insulted him on every trivial thing,” according to Pakistan’s SuchTV.

So mad and wanted some power back so he took it out on innocents.

I kind of want to punch his parents and his brother in the mouth because these

fucked up people are made...like its not a fluke, someone made them.

So mad and wanted some power back so he took it out on innocents.

I kind of want to punch his parents and his brother in the mouth because these

fucked up people are made...like its not a fluke, someone made them.
I could say something pertaining to the name (all in fun) .. But I would probably be crucified... So I'm going to be good and put my hand in my mouth! :muted:

Back