• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
@Buffettgirl @lovelinda4984 @Krystal - But this is all in regards to Eric Garner, who gasped out "I can't breathe" as he was in a chokehold. He didn't say those words, he gasped them, as many times as he was able. There's no excuse for continuing to choke someone out when they gasp for breath saying that.

@justfedup I do on occasion (why does this word mock me by having two "c"s and only one "s"??? I'm an old man and I STILL can't remember that shit) hear about a cop reporting on a fellow officer... when he sues the city for wrongful termination.

I think it's kind of funny that people are getting upset about the way I portray the police in this topic. I know it's pretty common to think that most cops are good and there's just a few bad ones... (or as the asshole on my facebook feed whom I haven't gotten around to blocking yet thinks, if you resist arrest you should be killed on the spot, cops are never wrong and never commit any crimes - I hope no one on here is that naive or ... evil?) but every time any outside agency investigates the police department of whatever city they choose, there's always a scathing report to follow, even when it's the FBI or a federal judge. And I can tell you from first-hand experience there are a lot of assholes on the police force. Period. In LA they used to recruit cops with a billboard that said "Macho? Join the LAPD." So they were actively looking for people that would identify as being macho. Exactly the type of law enforcement we need! *facepalm* Of course, this was at a time where if you didn't like your neighbor, you could call the cops and say they were running a crackhouse and the cops would show up at 3 am in a tank with a battering ram on the end of it and bust through, hopefully - if they didn't get the address wrong, your neighbors' front door, and probably just start shooting as soon as the door was down. Some old gramma lives there? Send in the attack dogs! Now I didn't live in the worst neighborhoods growing up, so I didn't have this sort of thing happening around me nightly, but growing up as a kid/teen I never did meet an Officer Friendly. Good Cop/Bad Cop was the only time I ever saw a "good cop." (I did have one run-in where the cops got me just after I bought some weed, and instead of taking me to jail, they just "confiscated" it. Hope you guys enjoyed that dirt weed, puto!) So maybe you know a good cop... I'd never argue that they don't exist. I just think they're more uncommon than some of you guys are suggesting, and I'm not simply basing that on my own personal experience with them, either. If anyone wants to read through walls of links, I'll be happy to post research. But I don't think I've ever read a news article about a police force being investigated and the outcome was "we didn't find anything, great job guys!" Yes, a department doesn't get investigated unless there's so many complaints that something bad HAS to be going on, but... that's the point. There's enough of these studies and investigations done that I don't worry too much about using the word "many" in reference to the number of bad cops out there, or "few" when talking about the good ones. Maybe it isn't fair, but until the number of victims goes way down, I'll go ahead and not play fair. Let's see cops marching in support of the victims rather than the murderers, for a change.

It is the mentality of the force and takes on the character of the leadership. If the leadership is qualified and fair, the majority of the force will be also. If the leadership is corrupt, so shall the members. (By leadership, I mean the upper echelon, not just the current chief or commander as those tend to be more political appointees and not what is represented by the force en masse) I also believe that as with many civilian establishments, the crap rises up. When I worked for a quasi-military company the higher ups promoted people that were not qualified as they themselves were worried about their own jobs. You promoted a buddy and he promoted a buddy and so on. If a good qualified person eventually made it into the group, the managers would send him to a different department, or post because they feared that the person was more qualified than themselves. and they would be in jeopardy. I feel that with many large departments, this is the same or worse, when someone gets some dirt. They use it for manipulation. I do believe that many PD's are corrupt to an extent and I have several people in my family that have worked for PD's and they will attest to that fact. Jonny covers for Fred's questionable arrest while Fred looks the other way when Jonny pockets some drug cash...Pat my back, I will pat your back.

He didn't say those words, he gasped them,
I beg to differ. Having heard those words, gasped in an almost inaudible whisper, what Mr. Garner did was not in that tone, rather he spoke. His words are clearly heard in a cell phone video, someone gasping would not be heard as he was.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have been helped, it's just that his words were not gasped in that dying, agonal rasp of someone who can't breathe. The sound is distinct and quite different.

@mobiusclimber I'm noticing a recurring theme in your posts.. It's usually.. "in LA they USED to .. in LA in the 80's.. etc etc..
I'm sorry that growing up you had a bad experience with police officers. This does not mean that every single department in every city, town and village in the USA is exactly the same as the police department in LA. MOST of the police officers in the country and great people. A very FEW are bad and unfortunately those are the ones that make the media and make people like you swear that MOST are bad.

Yep.. that's all they do :sarcasm:

So when someone breaks into your house, assaults you, rapes your loved one... etc etc etc.. who do you call? Not the cops right? They are obviously too busy serving you an eviction notice.. so who do you call?

Try thinking about their families and the fact that there are decent cops out there who do a damn good job protecting people because they actually give a shit about human life.

I have cops in my family as well...but i still dont trust MOST cops. Not because of race, but because cincinnati police are a big ass joke. Who did i call when i got robbed at gun point by 3 men? Cincinnati's finest. The outcome? I was basically told to catch my own robbers...even though they found the car the men were in (of course it was stolen). I still don't understand how they didn't find not ONE fingerprint other than the owners when NONE of the men had on gloves.

I hate making generalizations, but in the words of Public Enemy, 911 is a joke!

I have cops in my family as well...but i still dont trust MOST cops. Not because of race, but because cincinnati police are a big ass joke. Who did i call when i got robbed at gun point by 3 men? Cincinnati's finest. The outcome? I was basically told to catch my own robbers...even though they found the car the men were in (of course it was stolen). I still don't understand how they didn't find not ONE fingerprint other than the owners when NONE of the men had on gloves.

I hate making generalizations, but in the words of Public Enemy, 911 is a joke!
I'm sorry that happened to you. I have had run in's with a few cops who were dicks but I just chalked it up to them having a bad day. Most of the cops I know try very hard to help people and they get shit on by citizens all the time.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I have had run in's with a few cops who were dicks but I just chalked it up to them having a bad day. Most of the cops I know try very hard to help people and they get shit on by citizens all the time.

I can believe that. Cincinnati PD are just (usually) dickheads. I've never had a problem with any other PD. Not in Fairfield, OH. Detroit, MI. or Sarasota, FL. and now that i live in SC, I haven't had a problem with their police either (fingers crossed). but CPD just left a bad taste in my mouth. on one hand they didn't help with my robbery (nor when someone broke in my car...nor when the white lady t-boned my care when i was 9 months pregnant)...wait...where was i going with this? oh yeah...CPD SUCKS!!!!

aww thanks! you just showed more concern than the officer did lol. but we are fine. that baby is now a 4 year old asshole who acts just like my mother. #ILoveHer
I promise she won't get any better.. mine is almost 12 and she is a diva with a capital B-I-T-C-H. And she acts just like MY mother too. But I wouldn't trade her for the world

@mobiusclimber I'm noticing a recurring theme in your posts.. It's usually.. "in LA they USED to .. in LA in the 80's.. etc etc..
I'm sorry that growing up you had a bad experience with police officers. This does not mean that every single department in every city, town and village in the USA is exactly the same as the police department in LA. MOST of the police officers in the country and great people. A very FEW are bad and unfortunately those are the ones that make the media and make people like you swear that MOST are bad.

I'm kinda over this topic, so don't expect another reply in here.

If you go back and read my posts, I also mentioned the Seattle PD and linked to a fairly recent article regarding an investigation by the FBI which resulted in a damning report and strong words from the Justice Department. My opinion of the police has indeed been colored from an early age, but that's true of just about everything. Our experiences from childhood inform our opinions in all kinds of mostly subconscious ways. But the idea that other cities don't have problems with police abuse is, frankly, not backed up by facts. I used to compile news articles, and please realize that we only hear about a small portion of what actually goes on. We are only as free as our justice system is fair. So long as we lower our heads and allow injustice to flourish, we will never truly be a free people. I would rather see us moving towards an ideal than shirking our responsibilities (not just to ourselves but to the rest of the world, to be a shining beacon and an example of what other countries should strive for).

Here's the thing: I would rather we start spending a lot more money to improve our police department and overhaul the system entirely. Reward cops for turning in the "rogue" "bad apples" in their department. Hell, I'd run the police as tho I were Hank Scorpio. You need to write up a report on that last arrest? Grab a laptop and go lie down in the hammock while you do it! Feeling stressed and burnt out? There's a therapist you can say every single day if you feel so inclined, and a masseuse scheduled once a week. Pay cops what they are worth so they never feel the need to steal and sell drugs. Let the community vote on the cops who work their district. If you don't get enough positive votes, you're out. Sorry dude, guess you shouldn't have been a belligerent asshole. More and varied training regarding the best ways to de-escalate situations, and the best uses of non-lethal force for disarming and disabling someone.

Where's all this money going to come from? Taxes on recreational marijuana sales. :)

I'm pretty sure any state that's going to legalize recreational marijuana is also going to tax it. And I have no problem with that. Our states are failing and we need the extra revenue. I'd rather have taxes on something I couldn't buy legally before, then to not be able to legally buy it. And if it means my "bad behavior" helps pay for necessary things like cops, schools/teachers, etc, then I'm all for it.

And the reason why it's always "vice" that gets taxed is b/c it's one of the few things that are purely luxury. I'd hate to tax the poor for things they actually need, like dog food or cereal. (The stated reason for higher taxes on "vice" items is that they put a burden on the state that other things don't. People getting cancer and needing treatment, drunk drivers, etc.)

I'm white, I've had enough of the police brutality ...And I don't even watch the news, I just came to the sick of it part by reading the stories here about cops that indiscriminately murder black people. I like that she is going to apologize...I think that's cool.

Back