• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-dies-in-tree-grinder-accident-during-first-day-on-the-job/

Police in Guilderland, New York, say the 23-year-old man had been removing large trees Wednesday in front of a home when he fell into a wood chipper.

Rescue personnel pronounced him dead at the scene. His name hasn't been released.

Countryside Tree Care had been removing trees at the property.

David Bowers, an employee of Capital Crane, which subcontracted for the project,tells the Albany Times Union it was the man's first day.

Countryside Tree's owner, Tony Watson, didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

Police are investigating.

Some of these HAVE to be murders, someone getting shoved in. There's no way so many fucking people somehow just fall in to these damn things. How god damn clumsy can you be.

You get people who have no experience around something near it accidents are bound to happen.

When I did factory work you were put on a simple solo job or if it was complicated you had a partner who was experienced and when I did furniture delivery the more experienced guy did the risky stuff. Some jobs however have a very steep learning curves. I can make parts few people can make well, I can deliver furniture into places that are a bitch, if it has 4 wheels and is not a semi I can probably out drive most people easy, and I can out shoot most of the local cops but it all takes years of practice. I didn't learn all that shit overnight. I have been burned, cut up multiple times to wear I have noticeable scars, broken bones, and had multiple close calls.

There should be a safety course to operate operate a wood chipper.

Some of these HAVE to be murders, someone getting shoved in. There's no way so many fucking people somehow just fall in to these damn things. How god damn clumsy can you be.

You've obviously never used a wood chipper. It's a case of once bitten, twice dead.

Last edited:
That has got to be a terrible way to go; first day, too, I can't imagine his family(if around) were pleased to see him take such a risky job.

This is the 3rd one of these accidents I've read about, and I swear if I am recalling correctly all of them were on the worker's first day. All young men - what a horrific way to go.

On another note I can't imagine what these companies SDI rates could be.

This is why that retail workers under about 18 are not allowed to carry boxcutters and operate the cardboard balers, in some places they are not even allowed to throw trash down the chute, not allowed to open the chute door at all.

Inexperience and youth and all that.

Accidents do happen, but why do you allow a guy first day on the job to operate the most dangerous piece of equipment on the job, he could be stacking limbs while the experienced guys put them thru the chipper, until he learned the ends and out of it.

Back