• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
This one's started a some serious buzz in this little Wisconsin town. Any bullying, physical or cyber, can cost parents a serious fine that doubles. Needless to say, critics are :nailbiting:.

SHAWANO, WI – A Wisconsin city has a new way to fight bullies: they’re going to fine the bullies’ parents.

Shawano, Wisconsin has a new city ordinance that allows police to fine parents if they’re made aware that their child is acting like a bully and do nothing to stop the behavior.

The police there will be working with the school district to identify the bullies and then notify the parents, who’ll then have 90 days to take steps to stop their child’s behavior. If they don’t, the first fine is $366. A second offense within a year will increase that fine to $681.

The law prohibits bullying and harassment of any kind, including cyber-bullying, within city limits. It is targeted at school age children who are 18 and under.

The Shawano Common Council adopted the ordinance the last week of April. It went into effect immediately.

http://fox8.com/2016/05/02/town-passes-law-to-fine-parents-of-bullies-366/
http://the-daily.buzz/bully-fine/
http://rightnowagainstbullying.com/dailybuzz/category/parents/page/11/.

They have nothing better to worry about?

How do you verify whether a parent has taken steps to stop their childs behavior or not? What's the standard of proof on that?

What a dumbshit ordinance and a dumbshit town.

They have nothing better to worry about?

How do you verify whether a parent has taken steps to stop their childs behavior or not? What's the standard of proof on that?

What a dumbshit ordinance and a dumbshit town.

That's what I find interesting about it. Since it's a city thing, it'll go through city court which is smaller, often with less resources than county/state, so are parents going to have to start cell camming themselves having the Bully Chat with their sneauxflakes to prove it?

The critics who're saying it's an unenforceable law may or may not be right, but I'll be curious to see how it plays out now that the fines have jumped.

Lots of different ways to turn a kid into a bully. Maybe a few folks will have to start paying attention to how they parent/supervise/help their kids.

A therapist will crop up in town offering low rates for bullying correction counseling. Or, shit, a community center that will do it for even cheaper. Documented chore schedules. Bullying victim panels.

The sky's the limit in terms of "proof" the court would accept. It's a local court, and local courts don't have the highest standards of scrutiny. The average judge can tell pretty immediately whether or not you made even a minimal effort.

And I don't mind one bit - in theory - making those families jump through some hoops to avoid getting hit in the pocketbook. It's been well-established that there's typically an element of neglect or abuse at home creating this behavior in kids. If having a kid isn't enough motivation to pay attention and learn about effective methods of discipline, let the $366 Sword of Damocles do it.

I'd like to see how this one plays out. I'll make a $50 bet right now that bullying rates fall by at least 25% within the first year. And, yes, I'll take PayPal.

I'd like to know how they define, bullying. So if some kid is constantly verbally harassing my kid, making threats, etc and my kid beats his ass, who's the bully?

I think its a good idea...I think parents should get fines every time their child breaks the law.

So if some kid is constantly verbally harassing my kid, making threats, etc and my kid beats his ass, who's the bully?

The kid making the threats, and being an asshole...on a account of constantly.

Back