• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-vegans-go-war-death-888271
[....]
L.A.'s vegan vortex has angrily turned on the most prominent vegan restaurant group in town this week as word has spread that its owners are not just eating meat but raising and slaughtering animals at the working farm where they live in Northern California.

Matthew and Terces Engelhart, the husband-and-wife proprietors of favored entertainment industry haunt Cafe Gratitude, tell The Hollywood Reporter they've been receiving death threats as part of a quickly growing, internet-bred campaign against them. It has also spawned a deluge of one-star reviews on their local outposts' respective Yelp pages, a boycott group on Facebook that tallies 571 members at press time and plans now underway for a protest at the Larchmont Village location on Friday at 7 p.m.

"People have taken up the mob mentality," says Matthew. "It saddens me that the choices we made in the privacy of our home would lead people to feel so betrayed that it's elevated to threats on our lives. I'm very discouraged."

The trouble began last week when animal rights activists discovered and then widely circulated a 14-month-old blog post written by Terces on the Engelharts' Be Love Farm website, which mixed an announcement of their transition back into a meat diet again after nearly 40 years of vegetarianism (they had been vegan since 2003) with posted pictures of strained beef broth and a freezer full of pastured beef from their own dairy cows. Matthew tells THR they have kept chickens on the farm for seven years "for eggs only," along with the cows for five years for milk, cheese and butter that's for sale. (He claims they've "harvested," or slaughtered, several cows in total and never sold the meat, only shared it with "our friends, neighbors and community.")

The news has come as a shock to many vegans, who have been regular customers of the restaurants and claim the Engelharts have built their brand on not just serving vegan food but clearly wrapping themselves in the righteousness of the vegan cause — which they argue has now been undermined. "The reason we're so upset is that veganism is a belief system," says Carrie Christianson, who started the Facebook boycott group. "You are patronizing a restaurant that you think has that philosophy, and it turns out it doesn't. Vegans should know that this restaurant has a farm that slaughters animals."
[....]
The Engelharts frame their return to "sustainable, regenerative" animal consumption as the mindful culmination of years spent laboring on their upstate farm. "We started to observe nature, and what we saw is that nature doesn't exist without animals," says Matthew. "Neither does natural farming. You know, you can't buy organic vegetables that aren't fertilized with animal residue. So that was our discovery. We aren't on a soap box."

Yet while the Engelharts are at pains to paint their decision as a private and personal rural journey separate from their public work at their urban restaurants, their critics find the reasoning specious, believing the enterprises, the figureheads and their choices are inextricably bound. "This is a vegan restaurant company that's been a leader in the vegan community," says Chase Avior, a screenwriter and director who is organizing the Friday protest. "If they're going to go around and say it's not about animal rights, it's not about speaking about the animals horrifically abused, it's just about better nurturing a plant-based lifestyle, that's something different. A lot of vegans have a right to feel betrayed by this."
[....]
For their part, the Engelharts profess to be perplexed by the dissent. "I don't think there's any organization on the planet that's done more to promote a plant-based diet than us," says Matthew. "We've moved it from a dogma to a genre. We serve 28,000 meals a week in all of our enterprises. We've done nothing but a plant-based diet at our restaurants and we're being attacked. It doesn't make sense to me."

Their critics aren't satisfied, despite their record. "I eat at non-vegan restaurants all the time," says Elana Lavine, who runs the L.A. healthy lifestyle blog Klean Slate. "Just don't claim to be something you're not. They're slaughtering animals! And there's been a lack of total transparency about it on the restaurant side. It looks kind of shady, like they are hiding things. And there was always that cloud around them when it came to the cult thing."

The "cult thing" has left customers leery in the past. The couple, who like to say they practice "sacred commerce," had to close their Northern California locations in 2010 in the midst of lawsuit battles, one related to a policy encouraging allegedly illegal tip-pooling and another stemming from a mandate that their employee get involved with the controversial personal-betterment organization Landmark Forum, a successor to Werner Erhard's 1970s self-help program EST, which centered on a unique style of session therapy that was recently dramatized on FX's period spy show The Americans. Both iterations have been criticized for their aggressive recruitment tactics.

The Engelharts, who met while attending Landmark Forum, believe they're being held up to a dogmatic purity standard — one that, in the scheme of their contributions to veganism, is entirely unfair. "Somehow we got made mom and dad of some vegan movement," says Matthew. "We never signed up for that. It's crazy. Do [the protestors] check in on the diets of every other vegan restaurant owner? Do they check in on the diets of the owners of Whole Foods? We are baffled. And believe me there are lots of vegan enterprises where the principals are not vegan, or they have other enterprises that are not vegan." He goes on, "I am allowed to change my mind.
[....]
Matthew%20%26%20Terces%20Engelhart%20(Founders)[1].jpg

And there's been a lack of total transparency about it on the restaurant side.

Cuz the restuarant isn't serving animals you dumb bitch.

On the one hand, these people are assholes for opening a vegan restaurant or living that lifestyle at any point. I don't much care what happens to them as a result. They're total fucking nutters.

On the other hand, these critics and other pussies are so fucking annoying and backassward with their absurd, asinine belief, i can't help but side with the other nutbag assholes.

Eh, nah i think i've decided, i hate all of them equally.

*yawn*
Vegans, the gluten frees and the allergic can all fuck off with their pompous, culty, shit ..

Back