• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.cnet.com/news/outrage-af...g-selfie-with-car-involved-in-fatal-accident/
Robert Drewelus, 53, was driving his semi down a Florida highway when he was involved in an accident with a Volvo.

The Bradenton Herald reported the semi was carrying 8,500 gallons of gasoline. It rear-ended the Volvo, then veered toward the shoulder, overturned and burst into flames.

The Volvo allegedly left the scene of the accident before police arrived. Drewelus died.

Three days later, his widow, Elsie Nieves-Drewelus, had more news.

As WFTS-TV reports, a teen who was a passenger in the Volvo allegedly posted a picture to Instagram.
[....]
It showed him standing by the wreckage of a car with the words: "RIP volv."

He was smiling. There was also a smiley emoji and one of a semi.

"No family should have to go through this," Nieves-Drewelus told WFTS.

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesman told me a 16-year-old -- said to be the poster's brother and the alleged driver of the Volvo -- had been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident involving death and for contravening the conditions of his learner's permit.

Police say they found the Volvo at an apartment complex, hours after the crash.
[....]
confirmed the existence of the Instagram image but declined to comment on it. The spokesman told me the investigation is ongoing, and WFTS reported the cause of the crash hasn't been released.

WFTS also said it tried to contact the teen, without success, and that his Instagram account was deactivated and carried a message claiming it had been hacked.
[....]
"They took off," Nieves-Drewelus told WFTS. "They didn't have the decency to at least, to pull over and call 911. At least I would have known that they made some kind of effort. No. They just left him like you leave an animal on the side of the road, which was not fair."
[....]

For some perverse reason I can't post that photo here! It's at the link though.

When death and destruction become elements of pride and achievement...your citizenry has become REALLY fucked up.

RIP U.S.A.

[QUOTE ]They just left him like you leave an animal on the side of the road, which was not fair." [/QUOTE]

Legally and morally, you're not supposed to leave an animal on the side of the road either.

:( I feel sad for this poor woman <3
These little fucks disgust me :punch: such a total disregard for humanity.

And they drove THAT away from the scene? It's not as if the little creeps can say they didn't even realize they'd been hit, he almost ran completely over them!

Why the fuck would they bail? Thinking they were boozed out of their minds.

It's morally reprehensible, but barring negligent driving on his part being the cause of the crime, i don't really see a big deal about this legally. So they didn't stop? Meh. And i doubt emergency personell would have been able to make it there in time to do anything anyways even i they had called 9-11. Driving away from a crime is wrong, but it's a 16 year old, they do dumb shit, meh.

Who was at fault i wonder.

Unless they cut him off, it was the truck driver because he rear ended them.

I'm guessing they cut him off and other drivers cut in front of the hauler, too, eliminating the safety distance in a matter of seconds. 100,000 lbs of rig and fuel take a lot of stopping distance and I've seen jagoffs swoop in front of loaded semis trying to drive a little faster or to last-second reach an exit. Normally the trucker drives on without issue (just pissed at the stupid drivers) but if the traffic suddenly slows down the trucker has no where to go but jackknife because again, stupid drivers.

Well, that's what happens when parents let their larvae think they are the center of the universe, self-important beyond all measure, and indulging in their every desire without saying a G-Damned NO once in a while. Generation FirstWorldFucktards.

[QUOTE ]They just left him like you leave an animal on the side of the road, which was not fair."

Legally and morally, you're not supposed to leave an animal on the side of the road either.[/QUOTE]

I always pull road kill that hasn't been smashed, off to the side of the road. (if there is no traffic, I'm not getting killed over a dead squirrel). My grandmother told me it was disrespecting their lives to let them get run over and over again. I post a message to the sanitation dept with the closest address or intersection to come get it. It's usually just cats squirrels possums around here, no deer or alligators.

Jesus people... slow down. Am I the only millennial around? Only one who grew up with technology? You guys are acting like he was looming over some charred and deceased body to take the "selfie" (ugh... that's not even a selfie!).

It is entirely possible that, when this picture was taken, they had no reason to believe the semi driver was in any danger at all. The truck wasn't on fire, yet, that's for sure. They probably had no idea it was carrying something flammable.

A kid jumped out and had his picture taken with a crunched car. Shit, I might have done the same at 16. I wouldn't have left the scene, but lots of kids would, I imagine.

It's unfortunate the guy died and the widow encountered this picture (that was taken totally incidentally and had neither the semi nor the deceased in it), but this seems to be generational disconnect whipping it up into something it's not.

These kids aren't socipaths. We've got more than a few threads around here featuring legitimate sociopaths. I'd think you guys would be the least likely to casually throw that term around. :p

Back