• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Athena

Buzzkill.
WOODBURN, Ind. (AP) — A Safe Haven Baby Box where mothers can drop off unwanted newborns anonymously with emergency help moments away is now available in northeastern Indiana.

The padded, climate-controlled container was dedicated Tuesday at the Woodburn Volunteer Fire Department about 15 miles east of Fort Wayne near the Ohio state line. It’s on an exterior wall of the fire station.

The Knights of Columbus of Indiana will pay for the first 100 baby boxes, which cost $1,500 to $2,000 each, said Monica Kelsey, a volunteer with the fire department who has been advocating for baby boxes in Indiana for several years.

A second one was dedicated Thursday in Michigan City.

The boxes are equipped with a security system that notifies emergency personnel when a baby is dropped off. Emergency responders can get to the child within minutes.

Source.

First thoughts? I'll confess, mine was "WTF?!" but after reading a bit, I think it's pretty brilliant.

I saw this on news. It's brilliant. My husband said wtf I said too many mothers killing their newborns. He said o he didn't understand what a safe haven law was

It needs to be everywhere!

Sweet! I almost want to have an unwanted child just to try this out! On no wait, this is California. Nevermind, I will just raise all my crotch-fruit!

I hope that they create enough awareness for this that it cuts down on infant deaths. All too often teenage girls are having babies that no one even knows about until they are found dead in a shoe box...

On the other hand, who wants to bet some crazy bitch will bring her 3 year old and try to put them in there???

I hope that they create enough awareness for this that it cuts down on infant deaths. All too often teenage girls are having babies that no one even knows about until they are found dead in a shoe box...

On the other hand, who wants to bet some crazy bitch will bring her 3 year old and try to put them in there???

I find it hard to belive any GOOD parent let's a child get to 9 months pregnant and not notice. It seems like a lot of do not ask do not tell nonsense to me. The second one of my daughters is sneaking around wearing baggy clothes the jig is up'

I find it hard to belive any GOOD parent let's a child get to 9 months pregnant and not notice. It seems like a lot of do not ask do not tell nonsense to me. The second one of my daughters is sneaking around wearing baggy clothes the jig is up'
That's what we'd like to assume. I've read 100 stories or more about a teenager giving birth in a bathroom and NO ONE knew she was pregnant. Not her friends, not her cousin, not her brother or sister, not the parents, not even teachers at school. Totally oblivious. I agree, i dont have a daughter but if i did, i'd know something was up. But since there are people that are less involved in their child's life, i think this "box" is a good thing.

The boxes are equipped with a security system that notifies emergency personnel when a baby is dropped off. Emergency responders can get to the child within minutes.

#1 I hope who ever is responsible for these boxes does not suffer from OCD.
I would be checking the box every couple of minutes because I would fear that the alarm would fail. On stressful days, I check my coffee pot and the dogs water bowl up to 5 times. The only way I can stop is if I write it on a post it note and carry it out the door, Look at it in the car then I can drive away.

#2 Has anyone in the history of the safe haven laws ever actually turned in a baby?
We hear 2-3 stories a week of babies being killed, thrown away alive etc. I would like to know if a live baby has ever been turned in.

Fucking revolting that we need these at all....girls...either don't have sex or plan for sex...when you're faced with unwanted pregnancy plan....act on your own best behalf and be accountable for your actions.

I wonder about the secrecy of this option...Its a great option, better than infanticide in the school toilet but I wonder how well these woman are after leaving their babies behind. Like I just left my secret baby in a box...EVERY THING is FINE!

#1 I hope who ever is responsible for these boxes does not suffer from OCD.
I would be checking the box every couple of minutes because I would fear that the alarm would fail. On stressful days, I check my coffee pot and the dogs water bowl up to 5 times. The only way I can stop is if I write it on a post it note and carry it out the door, Look at it in the car then I can drive away.

#2 Has anyone in the history of the safe haven laws ever actually turned in a baby?
We hear 2-3 stories a week of babies being killed, thrown away alive etc. I would like to know if a live baby has ever been turned in.
http://fox59.com/2016/01/21/newborn-baby-girl-saved-safe-haven-law-used-to-leave-her-at-hospital/

Happened at the beginning of this year. Just happened to in Indiana as well.

Back