• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SimplySpaztastic

The above average, average girl
Bold Member!
DENVER - Colorado parole officers fed up with the state’s efforts to reduce the number of parolees sent back to prison tell Denver7 Investigates they believe the reform efforts are leading to increased crime.

Three officers, who all asked to speak anonymously because they fear retribution for coming forward, told Denver7 chief investigative reporter Tony Kovaleski they believe policy changes are putting public safety at risk.

“The community is at risk,” one officer said. “I can't do my job. No matter how hard I try and no matter how much I beg, they will not allow me to protect the citizens anymore."

Technical violations

The officers’ displeasure stems largely from a new law that took effect in 2015 aimed at limiting the number of parolees returned to prison for technical violations such as missed curfews, missed appointments, failed drug and alcohol tests, and skipped counseling sessions. The changes are modeled after programs the Colorado Department of Corrections (CDOC) says have shown success in other states at reducing recidivism, with the philosophy that sending people to prison is not the most effective way to change behavior.

Prior to the reform efforts, officers said they could move more easily to have offenders charged with new crimes for such technical violations. Now, many of their recommendations are reviewed by a group of CDOC managers who can overrule the officer’s wishes and mandate more intermediate measures such as drug treatment or short stays in jail known as "Sure and Swift" stays.

“You have individuals now out there who know that nothing is going to happen to them,” one parole insider told Denver7 Investigates. “They're in a no-lose situation. And they're going to continue to break the law.”

Feeling they have no other recourse, officers have taken their displeasure to the media; not only to Denver7 Investigates but to the Denver Postand Complete Colorado. Now parole officers have gone on camera to voice their concerns. And the woman in charge of CDOC’s adult parole division, Melissa Roberts, admits her department has a morale problem.

“One of the messages I have tried to get across is that the officers are our greatest resource, they are the boots on the ground doing the hard work every day,” Roberts told Denver7.

“What if I told you they don't believe that?” Kovaleski countered. “They believe their power has been taken away by you and others in top management.”

“I understand that they feel that their discretion has been put in question. That doesn't mean that their judgment is being put in question. It means that we have a senate bill from 2015 that requires us to use intermediate sanctions before we recommend revocation to the parole board,” Roberts responded. “When I have the parole board chair telling me that they're seeing recommendations for revocations when… appropriate intermediate sanctions haven't been used, I need to address that.”

Deadly confrontations with police

The parole officers point to two recent shootings of Denver police officers as evidence the department is allowing dangerous people to stay on the streets: the Dec. 2 shooting of DPD Technician John Ruddy, and the Feb. 22 shooting of Officer Rachel Eid.

Phillip Munoz (accused of shooting Ruddy) and Gerardino Gonzalez (accused of shooting Eid) were on parole during the implementation of the reform efforts.

“[The] recent shootings in Denver, in your professional opinion, were those preventable?” Kovaleski asked one of the parole officers.

“Absolutely preventable,” said the officer. “We can’t hold our offenders accountable anymore and they know it.”

Gonzalez was on parole and was wearing a GPS ankle monitor when he was shot and killed in the police shootout. Parole records provided to Denver7 Investigates by the Colorado Department of Correction show curfew and ankle monitor violations, failed drug tests and missed treatment. But the department did not make a move to return Gonzalez to prison before the shooting.

“It could have been prevented. I can tell you that if he was held accountable and taken in front of the parole board that he would more than likely not have done this,” one parole officer told Denver7 Investigates.
Instead, Gonzalez went to jail three times briefly in the final four months of his life for what is referred to under the new philosophy as a “Sure and Swift stay,” with the final hold ending less than two weeks before police say he shot an officer. Each stay was five days or less.

“He was actually placed in jail. Came out. The officer tried everything. He still didn’t go to treatment,” another parole insider said. “Placed in jail again. The officer tried talking to him.”

Correctional officials also said Gonzalez was turned away from a parole-related “programming” appointment four days before the shootout because he did not have enough money for the required co-pay.

CDOC said Gonzalez’s violations were relatively minor and did not seem serious enough to necessitate his return to prison. The state said prior to the shooting, Gonzalez was employed and he seemed to be doing better than any of his three previous tenures on parole.

“I think there were good decisions made in that case. Did Mr. Gonzalez ultimately make a very poor decision? Absolutely,” Roberts said.

As for Munoz, he was discharged from parole in September of 2015, just a few months before he was shot and killed during the incident involving Ruddy. Munoz received “earned time credit” that allowed his supervision to end early, even though parole records show numerous problems during the final months of his supervision.

Parole records show Munoz absconded and fled to New Mexico for 17 days in June, and he was deemed “high risk” in several notations. In May, records indicated someone complained about receiving threatening messages from Munoz. The records also indicated Munoz failed to report for scheduled drug tests in both March and April. Yet Munoz’s parole supervision ended in September. The state said the reforms had no bearing on Munoz’s discharge from parole and earned time must be granted to offenders by law.

Roberts said CDOC accepts responsibility for the behavior of all of the offenders it supervises, but also said such setbacks are common in the world of parole.

“We work in a dangerous business. We work with people who make very bad decisions. Some are trying very hard to make better decisions. Our job is to hold those accountable when they make poor decisions,” she said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ast-state-efforts-to-reduce-prison-population

This is somewhat terrifying! More at the link.

Indeed cubby, why should police officers even bother to make an arrest of a seasoned criminal on parole who is doing what they do best? It's all good because the CDOC said such setbacks are common. Perhaps if crime and punishment weren't so skewed in the criminals favor to begin with and the bar for parole was set a little higher recidivism wouldn't be such a revolving door.

It is the view the CDOC has taken that is common, as in not exceptional.

So buddy probably lost his job because of a sure and swift and downward spiral and lost it and the

parole officer never picked it up!

Stupid cops...if its minor and buddy tells you they got to get to work in the morning...you tell

them it's they're lucky night.

Correctional officials also said Gonzalez was turned away from a parole-related “programming” appointment four days before the shootout because he did not have enough money for the required co-pay.

So they told him to just get on outta here?!

There should have been some "swift and sure" consequences for that. I don't see the point of giving fiduciary penalties when these are the people most likely not to have money without stealing and robbing.

Back