• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
A former priest will spend 20 to 40 years behind bars for sexually abusing students during his time at a Michigan high school in the 1980s.

James Rapp, 75, faced six of his victims during a sentencing hearing in Jackson on Friday.

They described for more than two hours how Rapp coerced them into having sexual contact while working as a teacher and wrestling coach at Jackson's Lumen Christi High School.

'He knelt beside the bed I was in - he had a bed - held my hand, said the Lord's prayer and then climbed in bed with me, had his way with me,' former student John Wood said.

Rapp, who is currently serving a 40-year sentence in Oklahoma for lewd molestation according to the Jackson Citizen Patriot, pleaded no contest to criminal sexual conduct in February.

He worked at Lumen Christi High School between 1980 and 1986, acting as a teacher, coach, maintenance supervisor and as a Roman Catholic priest.

'His crime and position was a murder on my soul,' Andy Russell, also a former student at the school, told the court on Friday.

'He's a monster and his path of destruction extends far further than it ever should have.'

Russell then said he was kicked out of Lumen Christi after disclosing the abuse to the school's first principal, Reverend Joseph Coyle.

He called the dismissal 'the best thing that ever happened to me'.

Wood said he had once been made to share a room with Rapp during a school trip to Detroit and that the priest had abused him during the stay.

Coyle later made him disclose the abuse during confession, Wood said according to the Jackson Citizen Patriot.

Wood told the court Coyle had said in Latin: 'Some sins are so awful, we cannot talk about them.'

'I was told I would go to hell if I ever talked about what I said in confessional,' he added. 'Well, if I'm going to hell for being here today, I'll see Coyle there and we can talk about it some more.'

Rapp worked in Philadelphia; Salt Lake City; Naperville, Illinois; Duncan, Oklahoma; Jackson, Michigan and Lockport, New York before being defrocked as a priest.

An investigation in Michigan began in 2013 when victims approached the sheriff's department. Some said they complained to school officials in the 1980s but no action was taken.

[…]

'I think it's evident that the only way to heal, move forward and to protect others from this same thing is to bring it out into the open,' Assistant Attorney General Angela Povilaiti said of the victims.

'Shed light on it, and expose the truth. And they've done that. They are true heroes in a horrible situation.'
LINK

Gigantic kudos to the prosecutors for taking on a case that dates back to the 1980s. Although it took way too long to bring this abusive asshole to justice, hopefully the fact that he is being sent to jail can help the healing process for the men abused by him as teens.

The One True Church ( ) the more I want to eradicate organized religion... How are they any different than ISIS?

Religion doesn't create monsters, monsters who are attracted to children will find a place where kids are. Boy scouts, schools daycare, single moms, any boys or girls club.

Religion doesn't create monsters, monsters who are attracted to children will find a place where kids are. Boy scouts, schools daycare, single moms, any boys or girls club.
Problem is, this is something that had become systemic. If abuse was discovered, the priest was simply transferred to another unsuspecting parish. These cases never entered our legal system, instead being referred to the Catholic church and handled at the discretion of the church. I was already generally aware of the way the system worked, but last night I watched the movie "Spotlight".

I. Was. Stunned. The movie follows the investigative reporters of the Boston Globe. Starting with the investigation of a single pedophile priest, they eventually uncovered 247...in the Boston area alone. This is the case that brought down Cardinal Law. It's on Amazon, probably most streaming services. If you're interested in the intersection of law and religion, or justice for survivors, you'll find this a stunning reveal of the scope. On a personal note a classmate was subjected to the same in Chicago. Never got past it. Died a Norco addict with Hep C just 3 years ago and still dwelling on it 40+ years later.

'I was told I would go to hell if I ever talked about what I said in confessional,' he added. 'Well, if I'm going to hell for being here today, I'll see Coyle there and we can talk about it some more.'

You're not going to hell Mr. Wood...I asked God and he said you were a Hero!

'His crime and position was a murder on my soul,' Andy Russell, also a former student at the school, told the court on Friday.

There is something intrinsically evil about those who are in a position of trust who betray and violate that trust with the murder of innocence. Those who have knowledge of such wicked betrayals and do nothing but facilitate the opportunity for their continuation must eat the same sin.

I agree, religion doesn't create the problem, but in some cases they've done all the could to exacerbate it, hide it and by their deafening silence perpetuate the problem.

That wasn't religion Love....those were men that did that. Bad men! <3<3<3

The cover-ups (covering the crime for Christ et al) was done in the name of organized religion... the assaulted congregant certainly played no part in their decision...

I'm as repulsed as any other Catholic, but I would never blame God or my faith for it...those were that acts of weak men. Shameful men who not nearly as strong, and with out the endurance of the victims...I pray they continue to come forward, demand accountability, continue to fight for justice. <3<3<3

He's going to the perfect place to get him a little...all those deprived souls in prison. Die in hell James Rapp...just where u belong.

Am I the only one thinking that jail would actually be a blessing for him at his age? A few years ago we had to put my Grandmother-Inlaw into assisted living and that shit was $3,000 a month! He's gonna get it for free!

This gives me an epiphany. I'mma going to commit a non-violent crime when I get really old and get a free place to live with healthcare! :cigar:

Back