• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I respect this family, not wanting Sharptongue tells me all I need to know about them
I hope they get justice and the idiot chicken shit cop gets jail

I respect this family, not wanting Sharptongue tells me all I need to know about them
I think what he did was moronic and if he had been screened properly wouldn't have happened. he wasn't ready to be put on patrol like that

Even the most experienced officer's would have been scared to be put there. I don't blame the family for filing a law suit. The fact they didn't call for help immediately alone gives a clear picture of recklessness.

Just wondering does Sharptongue get a cut for everything he tries to put his nose in? I see his face in so many things and I have always wondered does he just go to these places voluntarily or does the family ask him to step in or what? I know that not all of the families that he gets involved with needs his help and appear able to handle things on their own and maybe they didn't want him to be involved in their business to begin with.

Even the most experienced officer's would have been scared to be put there. I don't blame the family for filing a law suit. The fact they didn't call for help immediately alone gives a clear picture of recklessness.

Just wondering does Sharptongue get a cut for everything he tries to put his nose in? I see his face in so many things and I have always wondered does he just go to these places voluntarily or does the family ask him to step in or what? I know that not all of the families that he gets involved with needs his help and appear able to handle things on their own and maybe they didn't want him to be involved in their business to begin with.
Jesse Jackass & Sharptongue get paid by business and cities to stay away and not riot, they hold cities to ransom

Lynch emphasized in his statement that Liang was assigned to patrol what he described as one of the city's most dangerous housing projects.
Regardless, they were to patrol the exterior. "vertical patrols" of stairways or halls had been specifically prohibited by their Chief months earlier.

All I know about Sharpton is that he's quick to exploit an opportunity to be in front of a camera. On the other hand, I don't know what he does the rest of the time. I can't judge him for being, uh, unphotogenic and an attention whore.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ho...kers-wear-bright-orange-vests-fear-shot-nypd/

Housing Authority Forces Workers to Wear Orange Vests So NYPD Cops Don’t Shoot Them
New policies were enacted by the Housing Authority after officers pulled a gun on a maintenance crew and fatally shot an unarmed man in a stairwell in a separate incident.

According to a New York Post report:

“[The elevator workers] were basically told the reason was because of recent incidents where cops had pulled a gun on a caretaker and a supervisor on the roof of a housing project,” a source said.

“No one got shot, but they also referred to the cop shooting and were told, ‘We’re doing this for your protection. Your lives are in jeopardy, and we don’t want you to get hurt,’ ” the source said

Pulling no punches, one Housing Authority supervisor allegedly told his crews that the new policy was due to NYPD cops being “trigger-happy.”

In addition to wearing the bright orange vests, workers will now also be required to wear their official identification on a neck lanyard.
[....]
“The issuance of the safety vests was one action taken to increase safety for elevator personnel through our ongoing ‘Safety in Motion’ initiative. Although not tied to any particular incident, we hope that this simple action will further protect these hardworking employees and allow them to be easily identified when needed,” the spokeswoman said.

Regardless of the Housing Authority’s public statements, it’s quite clear that new measures are a response to the overall violent demeanor of the NYPD. More specifically, they are in response to the killing of unarmed father of two Akai Gurley in a dimly lit stairwell on November 20, 2014.
[....]

Shows how awful these crime infested trash ass housing projects are and how inept the police dept is. Combination for tragedy. What ap athetic fucking city.

Trial has started . @Wolf_of_Mars , from your post I can see that you are very knowledgeable about firearms, thought this would interest you.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/n...ley-shooting-not-accidental-article-1.2512736

An NYPD firearms expert testified that it takes over eleven pounds of force to pull the trigger of a city-issued 9-mm handgun, casting doubt on the defense argument that a rookie cop accidentally shot Akai Gurley to death.

From @giantblue 's link:

An NYPD firearms expert testified that it takes over eleven pounds of force to pull the trigger of a city-issued 9-mm handgun, casting doubt on the defense argument that a rookie cop accidentally shot Akai Gurley to death.

Smh...thanks, GB!

We were posting the same thing at the same time @Fives My Charm , LOL.

This crime was only an "accident" in that the rookie officer got spooked. He meant to fire at the thing that spooked him. He just didn't mean it to be an innocent, unarmed person.

And, since @Wolf_of_Mars has inspired me to share my favorite race stories...

Once, when I lived in the hood, I was walking the dog at night, when a young man I didn't know was there stepped out from behind an SUV. I responded, "Ooh! You spooked me!" in a friendly tone. He got pissed, assumed I had called him "a spook" (in the friendliest voice ever?) and began hurling slurs and insults, and then threatened to take my dog.

Like I said. Minorities. Can't win. :hilarious:

Shows how awful these crime infested trash ass housing projects are

In the 80's there was an apartment complex in London Ontario, The Dorvan. It was so rough that the city installed a police station right on the premises. So many calls out there, that fuck it, they just moved in, saved on gas...plus police presence. Its not like that now. Why wasn't this rookie paired with a competent partner, until he could learn the ropes, learns to have confrontations with people without pissing his pants or shooting them?

I moved into my ghetto government housing facility years ago when I was single. We stay because of rent control. It's like walking around Walmart everyday! Cops just roll up in here and start calling them fuckers by there first names. Me - only met the cops once. It was justified! :bored:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/deliberations-resume-officers-stairwell-shooting-trial-154948264.html

NEW YORK (AP) — A rookie police officer who shot an unarmed man dead in a darkened public housing stairwell was convicted Thursday of manslaughter in a case closely watched by advocates for police accountability.

The courtroom audience gasped and Officer Peter Liang, who had broken into tears as he testified about the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, buried his head in his hands as the verdict came after 17 hours of jury deliberations. Liang is the first New York City police officer convicted in an on-duty death since 2005.

The manslaughter charge, a felony, carries up to 15 years in prison, though no requirement for any prison time. Liang was dismissed from the New York Police Department right after the verdict. His sentencing is April 14.
[....]
Brooklyn state Supreme Court Justice Danny Chun has yet to rule on Liang's lawyers' request to dismiss the charges. Liang also was convicted of official misconduct, a misdemeanor.

Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson said "justice was done" for Gurley.

"He was an innocent man who was killed by a police officer who violated his training," said Thompson, whose mother was a police officer.
[....]
Liang's lawyers said they struggled to understand how the jury could find him guilty in a shooting he said happened accidentally in a pitch-dark stairway.

"If that's not a time to pull out your gun, I don't know when is," said defense lawyer Robert Brown. He said Liang would appeal.

Liang, who remains free on bail, left the courthouse without comment.
[....]

I can't imagine he'll get any prison time, but in this day an age, an indictment, a conviction, and perhaps most importantly, not getting to be a cop anymore is a good start.

This crime was only an "accident" in that the rookie officer got spooked. He meant to fire at the thing that spooked him. He just didn't mean it to be an innocent, unarmed person.

And, since @Wolf_of_Mars has inspired me to share my favorite race stories...

Once, when I lived in the hood, I was walking the dog at night, when a young man I didn't know was there stepped out from behind an SUV. I responded, "Ooh! You spooked me!" in a friendly tone. He got pissed, assumed I had called him "a spook" (in the friendliest voice ever?) and began hurling slurs and insults, and then threatened to take my dog.

Like I said. Minorities. Can't win. :hilarious:
True story:
As a kid we found a stray dog and kept her, my sister and I named her "Spook," after the ghost on Scooby Doo. Several years later, my brother's friend gave us a dog who was already named, "Blackie."

Every month when the black guy from the gas company came to read the gas meter down in our basement, my sister and I would yell, "Blackie," Spook," in an attempt to get the dogs to stop barking. My parents were mortified and now that I'm grown, I can only imagine what that guy was thinking!

True story:

OMG. I almost have a hard time believing that is true it is so priceless. That should be in a movie. FUCK. That killed me. I feel bad for the gas man though... I'm the awkward type that would stand there explaining the whole story to him lmao...

OMG. I almost have a hard time believing that is true it is so priceless. That should be in a movie. FUCK. That killed me. I feel bad for the gas man though... I'm the awkward type that would stand there explaining the whole story to him lmao...
Shit, we must have been 6 and 7 years-old, we didn't know any better, but I remember my mom yelling at us for it:shrug:

2. You NEVER pull the trigger until you have identified what you are shooting at and KNOW that you intend to kill it.

I agree completely, but if it was a threat the cop would likely be dead before he could identify it. Tough situation, but shooting into the dark is certainly not the answer.

I feel terrible for this young man. I'm not sure I'd call it police brutality but hard not to call it inexcusable. Inept at best but I do think that is what it is.

Edit: Not rendering aide once the mistake was realized and not reporting immediately were pretty brutal.

I don't think a rookie police officer should be patrolling darkened stairwells of housing projects but they are going to need to at some point so hard to say he wasn't suited for it aside from the fact he just shot into the dark.

I don't think he should go to jail for that. Very lengthy probation and loss of job is fair for me.

R.I.P. Akai Gurley

Edit: Missed the delay in response time. I still have a hard time saying he should go to jail for taking 5 minutes to ultimately come to the right decision. It could have cost the innocent man his life though (not likely with how cops are trained to shoot) and that makes it tough but I just don't think jail time will do any good. If I thought the cop was evil then I'd have no problem punishing him with jail time. I just don't think it has any benefit other than satisfying the public.

The cop shouldn't of been there if he shoots at loud sounds in the dark. Period. Could have even been a child transporting a bicycle. The department needs to do a better job of deeming officers fit for patrol. Even the cops that shoot intentionally are usually mentally ill of some kind. The egregious shooting the criminal in the back as they run away ones anyway.

Holding the individual officers accountable isn't always fair to me. I think there should be more extensive mental evaluations that go on. I'm sure there are, but I don't know how extensive they are. I mean if you give me a gun, a badge, and tell me to go patrol, I might be okay for a week, a month but I know I'd become jaded over time as I already am. If I'm not all there mentally, I think the person that gives me a gun and power is more at fault than me.

I believe in accountability first and foremost but it's not entirely fair to hold crazy(fear/inexperience in this case) accountable.

This is tragic. I don't even feel that bad for the ones that get shot running away as brutal as it is. I don't like that either. It's like terrorists relying on other countries goodwill not to break the rules of war and just nuke the shit out of whatever country they are hiding in. Kind of the same thing, I'm going to run away because you're not supposed to just shoot me in the back.

And high speed chases are the worst, here we have a policy that once it hits a certain speed the cop has to abandon chase out of safety for the public- which is great. However, now you have these exploitative goofs that know this and hit those speeds knowing the chase will be abandoned.

This man deserved a whole lot better though. Changes need to be made because shit like that just can't happen.
[doublepost=1455304991,1455304900][/doublepost]
Shit, we must have been 6 and 7 years-old, we didn't know any better, but I remember my mom yelling at us for it

Lol I gathered as much. I meant I'd be the red faced parent explaining what's going on isn't really going on lmao. That is fucking priceless. OMG.
[doublepost=1455305400][/doublepost]And I'd totally blame my kid for naming him spook lmao. And Blackie. FUCK lmao theres no explaining that! He wouldn't believe any of it lol.
[doublepost=1455305493][/doublepost]

My thoughts exactly! I hope that family gets the justice they seek. Whatever they think is fair.

who was killed by a police officer who violated his training

Because pulling out your side arm is a last resort...Its only the first course of action if your mentally unfit to do the job or otherwise trigger happy. I thing the charges and verdict, are appropriate.
[doublepost=1455315222,1455308721][/doublepost]@giantblue ...sorry we disagree, but the last thing society needs are cops that are trigger happy...cops that are scared or cops that draw first without utilizing any of their defensive/offensive training. We had a recent story of an officer being recorded shooting a suspect in the back for running away from him...(how dare he run from ME!) he is being recorded while he panics...he is being recorded when he tries to plant his tazer on the dead guy instead of getting aid. He is being recorded being confronted by an arriving officer...and lying about the tazer. MURDER for him...We cannot afford to have cops that use force and especially lethal force as a primary course of action. <3<3<3

We had a recent story of an officer being recorded shooting a suspect in the back for running away from him.

Right but that isn't the case here.

.(how dare he run from ME!) he is being recorded while he panics...he is being recorded when he tries to plant his tazer on the dead guy instead of getting aid. He is being recorded being confronted by an arriving officer...and lying about the tazer. MURDER for him...We cannot afford to have cops that use force and especially lethal force as a primary course of action

Not the same

Last edited:
Don't forget, vertical patrols of building interiors had been abolished well before this happened. They were not supposed to even be there. Second, they had flashlights, but also unhostered their weapons with their finger inside the trigger guard. Third, they didn't offer any assistance to the victim. Last, and most atrocious to me they didn't call for paramedics or their precinct until after Liang called and consulted with his union rep. I'm relieved by this verdict.

Shit, we must have been 6 and 7 years-old, we didn't know any better, but I remember my mom yelling at us for it:shrug:
And this happened in Boston in the seventies? Oh my goodness. Extra especially awkward.
[doublepost=1455404392,1455404000][/doublepost]
Don't forget, vertical patrols of building interiors had been abolished well before this happened. They were not supposed to even be there.

Wow. Thank you for pointing that out. I was just about to write something on how the police protocols for patrolling unlit stairwells need to be addressed, but apparently they were.

@Jake88 - I really liked your comment about psych testing and I'm *all* about training, continuing ed., and annual reviews in law enforcement. Call me a dreamer, but I think these ought to be a nationwide, standardized thing and a j.o.b. requirement, with psych evals/retesting required every 3-5 years-ish to make sure our LEOs are still stable enough for the job.

Re: the written portions of psych evals for municipal Police Depts. and Sheriff's Depts., I can't find any samples online and I'm only familiar with the test batteries they use here in my city and county, so I pulled up some general info on police psych testing in general.

This is the Peace/Police Officer Psych. Screening Manual, but it's looong and it's a .pdf, so :meh: Just showing there actually is one, lol.
http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Peace_Officer_Psychological_Screening_Manual.pdf

Here's the Law Library on Psych exams in LE (you may go blind trying to read it):
http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/empl165.html

A couple of good articles (quicker reads) with general info:
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/29191-evaluating-police-psychology-who-passes-the-test

https://www.policeone.com/police-pr...mployment-psych-screening-without-going-nuts/

And last, but certainly not least (they'll make these for anything :hilarious: )!
The "cheat sheet" to become a law enforcement officer a.k.a. "The Police Officer Exam for Dummies".
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/police-officer-exam-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

@Jake88 - I really liked your comment about psych testing and I'm *all* about training, continuing ed., and annual reviews in law enforcement. Call me a dreamer, but I think these ought to be a nationwide, standardized thing and a j.o.b. requirement, with psych evals/retesting required every 3-5 years-ish to make sure our LEOs are still stable enough for the job

I figured that there is a psych evaluation obviously but yeah that was my main point, how often they are re-evaluated basically. Obviously just one bad shift in that line of work can cause a fracture in even the soundest of minds. Left untreated it will heal, but it might not heal right. Then you are left with a jaded cop with however many years of incident free service to his resume. By that point they have built a reputation within the department and have a license to kill basically with the trust and reputation they have established.

I also don't think a cop that racially profiles is necessarily jaded. I mean if they are harrassing certain races like pulling them over just because or shooting at a loud sound in government housing then yes of course.

However, I don't think racially profiling while assessing a situation you are responding to means that you're jaded. It means that you're human. We all make these same calculations during the course of our every day lives to keep ourselves safe. Nobody wants to admit it for whatever reason.

These cops have even more reason to because when they respond to a call they ARE putting their lives on the line every time. It would be stupid of them not to factor everything they know about a situation they have to enter often knowing little to nothing about. Yes that includes stereotypes.

Stereotypes didn't appear out of thin air.

Mark Cuban said it the best a few years back when the Trayvon Martin shooting happened.

He made the point that if he saw a black guy in a hoodie, he might cross the street. HOWEVER, if he saw a white guy tatted up with a shaved head then he's crossing back and dealing with the black guy.

Now comparing just a sweater to a lifestyle is a little misguided but I understand the point he was making. Nobody wants to be honest anymore. We all want to act like we don't stereotype and we treat everyone equally but we don't. Self-preservation. That's all it is. We will stereotype during our day to preserve our well-being so at the end of it we can safely make it to the front door incident free. We will then condemn stereotyping when discussing it publicly to preserve our reputation even though we do it every day ourselves without any of our own wicked or cruel(nefarious lol) intentions. We need more honesty from all sides before things get better.

Last edited:
Agreed. When it comes to stereotyping in modern culture, the definition of the word itself is as variable as anything it can be applied to. It was actually a commercial printing term used to describe the products/copies/exact reproductions made from metal printing plates and its meanings and uses re: groups of people evolved from there.

These days, most definitions indicate the use of the word stereotyping as a bad or offensive thing because in order to use it as a working definition, blanket statements/judgements about all people within a certain group are often made based on the certain cultural attributes of a minority rather than the majority, the exceptions instead of the rule, so to speak. My old sociology professor basically explained it by saying (paraphrasing here), 'if enough people in any given group/culture do a thing, it becomes a thing.'

The truth is we use stereotypes all the time, way too many to count. Those commonalities are also the same characteristics the FBI's Ressler and Hazelwood used to develop "behavioral profiling."

Some common examples of stereotypes we don't really think much about are, "Pretty girls have easier lives/get anything they want/are dumb, shallow, etc.,"; "Fat people are jolly/funny/lazy/slobs/have no self-control, etc."; "Fat girls/guys will date anything b/c they're desperate"; People who drink and/or do recreational drugs can't be good parents,"; "You can tell if a man is gay by the way he speaks and acts," and so on. On the flip side, some of the "good" stereotypes get us in big trouble, too. e.g., "S/he's a nurse, they must be a good person,"; "Pastors/priests/reverends/men of the cloth are trustworthy," "People who run daycare centers love children," and "S/he's a police officer so s/he is a good guy/gal."

I tried to find my previous post on this, but re: your example via Mark Cuban, in the same Soc. class I mentioned earlier, we were given an exercise. In a nutshell, the scenario: It's late at night in a dimly lit parking lot and two strangers are walking toward you, both men, one on either side. They're both dressed similarly with only a couple of differences in their manner. Which one are you more afraid of? I come from a racially, culturally, well-integrated metropolis and you can probably guess what the overwhelming response to the exercise was including from our African American and Asian students. They could've both been blinged out to the nines with hoodies and $30K grills lighting up the night sky and it wouldn't have changed the results.

I agree and disagree they can be useful. But, in cases where African Americans in my city and in KCMO get pulled over all the time if they drive an expensive foreign car and go around the block one too many times trying to find an address, I think they can be downright dangerous when that's all the officer is going by, as you mentioned. In a lot of cities/towns in America, Af/ Am. can't win. If they're successful they're suspicious b/c they 'look too rich', if they walking alone down a street at night and look too broke, they're suspicious, too. So far, I personally haven't seen/heard any good answers to being able to accurately predict what any group of people is going to do when it comes to criminal activity, but I would *certainly* love to see more updated statistics than we have available on it now.

@gatekeeper Happy Valentines Day!

I think a lot of stereotypes have to do with social classes too. The African-American males that conduct themselves in a respectable manner are less likely to be harrassed by police. The harrassment they face is genuine racism where an officer goes outside of his basic instincts as a police officer for the sake of being a piece of shit racist.

I think people of all races face police harrassment when they conduct themselves a certain way. I myself had been repeatedly harrassed by police earlier on in my life.

Back