• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

amac

Trusted Member
I was surprised to see this story wasn't up here yet, but knowing my posting luck someone will probably beat me to it as I type this.

All I can say is, wow, what an absolutely terrifying experience for these people! It sounds like several diners even had their young children with them.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-mac...ying-attack-ohio-restaurant/story?id=36889413

Machete-Wielding Man, Mohamed Barry, 30, Viciously Attacks Diners at Ohio Restaurant

The machete-wielding man who allegedly injured four people in an attack at an Ohio restaurant before he was shot and killed by police was known to the FBI, but not under full scale investigation [...]

The suspect, identified as Mohamed Barry, 30, according to Franklin County Coroner Dr. Anahi Ortiz, was in a law enforcement database which includes names potentially related to terrorism, sources said. [...]

[...] the motive is not yet clear.

Barry had a Columbus address, but police do not yet know where he is from [...]

The man's attack was first reported at the Nazareth Restaurant and Deli in Columbus around 6 p.m. Thursday, the Columbus Police Department said today. The man allegedly walked into the restaurant, had a conversation with an employee and left, before returning about 30 minutes later [...]

That's when he allegedly approached a man and a woman sitting by the door and launched his attack [...]

"Some guy pulled out a machete and started stabbing people," one mother said in a 911 call obtained by ABC News. "I ran out with my kids." She said she was calling from another store's bathroom with her two young children.

"My wife just called me in a panic," another 911 caller said, "telling me that a guy in the restaurant's stabbing people. And she's hiding, I think, out in the back. She cut her hand pretty bad."

The caller added: "I don't know what happened, she called in a panic, crying. She's terribly hysterical right now."

"A gentleman came in with a machete and started hacking at people," another 911 caller said. "He came in and immediately attacked a man on the right." [...]

Two people at the restaurant described the attack as "carnage" and "systematic," ABC affiliate WSYX ABC 6 in Columbus reported. "He just started down the row hitting everybody," customer Karen Bass told the station. [...]

"Some of the patrons there started throwing chairs at him just trying to get him out of there," Columbus police Sgt. Rich Weiner said, according to the AP. "There was no rhyme or reason as to who he was going after."

Barry eventually fled the scene in a car with police in pursuit, according to a police press release.

A man who apparently encountered the suspect on the road also called 911.

“You need to get this guy—he just nearly collided and nearly caused an injury accident,” the caller said. “And he has a long knife—you did hear that, right? And he has a weapon.”

After some time, the suspect stopped and exited the car, armed with a machete in one hand and a knife in the other [...]

Officers deployed a taser to prevent him from fleeing again, but it wasn't effective. As the suspect lunged at police, an officer shot him multiple times, according to the release. [...]

Barry died at the scene, police said.

Four victims -- three men and one woman -- were hospitalized after the attack [...]

(Victims names and ages at link)

No officers were injured [...]
[doublepost=1455324964,1455324176][/doublepost]By the way, I'm sure I'm not the only one to pick up on the irony of a guy named Mohamed attacking a restaurant called Nazareth, right? Just saying... Perhaps there are some cultural, religious and/or terrorist motivations here.

Its not so bad as you think the relationship between Muslims and Christians...Just saying I'm a Christian, and I have friends in Islam.

We're losing all the wars anyway...the war on Islam, the war on women, the war on families, the war on drugs...the war on children. We literally pimp them out to corporations make them, walking billboards for free...we actually pay corporations for the privilege. War on television, war on fast food, war on smoking, war on sugar for fuck sakes ...we're in a lot of wars and not winning any of them...maybe we should all stop it. like all of us. Lets pick a day!

Last edited:
The owner is from Israel and is Christian and the machete wielder is from Guinea and is Muslim. He went in and asked questions about the owner and the food they serve. He left and returned 30 minutes later. This happened a few miles from my house. The machete guy lived a half mile from me. Pretty crazy!

Last edited:
See, what did I tell you.
The owner is from Israel and is Christian and the machete wielder is from Guinea and is Muslim. He went in and asked questions about the owner and the food they serve. He left and returned 30 minutes later. This happened a few miles from my house. The machete guy lived a half mile from me. Pretty crazy!
@lithiumgirl dislikes the theory that this was a religiously motivated crime. How dare you scandalize us with the facts!

Its not so bad as you think the relationship between Muslims and Christians...Just saying I'm a Christian, and I have friends in Islam.
o_O

I'm good friends with a practicing Muslim and have been for 16 years. She wears the hijab at all times. I'm a Christian. It hasn't prevented us from enjoying mutual respect, caring and even learning about each others beliefs. It's about the good/bad people behind the belief system, not necessarily the belief itself, and that goes for any religion, color or creed. As far as my comment at the end of the article, I'm not exactly sure what's to dislike about it. It's an impartial observation -- a logical guess based on some pretty obvious clues that line up with current events in the world.

Regardless, when you say it's "not so bad as you think" between Christians and Muslims, I can't help but ask, are you serious?! With all due respect, that's rather insulting to the millions around the world who are dealing with tremendously violent persecution. For instance, if you asked the thousands of Syrian Christians, Gnostics, Jews and other Judeo Christian sects in the middle east and even in Europe, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you it's quite bad.

In the middle east they are being systematically driven out, isolated, starved, tortured and slaughtered. In Europe self-proclaimed caliphate are forming and locals are overrun in their homes and business as they are told they're not welcome in their own communities. In England there are groups of Muslim men who "patrol" certain areas, harassing locals and telling them they must adhere to sharia law. And I won't even go into the widespread rapes that many apparently feel justified in committing against non-Muslim women.

I'm not an Islam-phobe and I'm not trying to attack or belittle Muslims, certainly not. I realize these are extremists. There are good and bad individuals in all faiths. After all, everyone knows that Christianity has perpetrated some of the most horrendous crimes against humanity in recorded history, as have atheists and plenty of other groups, but at this moment in time certain Muslims are really giving butchery in the name of religion a run for its money.

So in terms of a broader world view, yes, it's actually very bad between the two.

Also...
Not really...I just think we're shitty at war. All of them!
What does that even mean? :bored:

Last edited:
This whole thing about religion and foods you can't eat. Just stupid.

Religion is the thing furthest from my mind while eating.

And also when I'm eating food.

o_O What does that even mean? :bored:

It means, we're shitty at wars...the war on drugs, women, children, families, gang violence, tv, fast food, skinny people, fat people, gluten, sugar, smoking, vegans, meat eaters, gays, ...breeders...we're shitty at war...get it now?
[doublepost=1455385511,1455385247][/doublepost]
So in terms of a broader world view, yes, it's actually very bad between the two.

I'm Maltese Catholic...In our language...God is Allah'.

All of this emphasis on a brand? xtian, muslim or whatever...it seems the real issue is mental stability.
Anyone who has to resort to violence to further a viewpoint negates said point and, by proxy, themselves. Reducing the issues to what it is, mental aberrations, may make the world start using it's collective head and remove these non-functioning azoles from society.
I'm not saying eliminate them but segregate them. Put them somewhere where they can enjoy their insanity to its fatuously obvious conclusion and it wouldn't be as detrimental on the rest of the population.
Where to put them, you ask? Perhaps wherever our 'government' is breeding/hiding the next batch of "terrorists" we are to fight or maybe even Iran, North Korea or the congressional complex. Hell, fence them in the pentagon. We all are aware of the lunacy that springs from there! And let's not forget our politicians...

In Europe self-proclaimed caliphate are forming and locals are overrun in their homes and business as they are told they're not welcome in their own communities. In England there are groups of Muslim men who "patrol" certain areas, harassing locals and telling them they must adhere to sharia law. And I won't even go into the widespread rapes that many apparently feel justified in committing against non-Muslim women.

Dare I ask you for a source for this? In particular, do you have locations for where these groups of Muslim men "patrol"?

Dare I ask you for a source for this? In particular, do you have locations for where these groups of Muslim men "patrol"?

I've heard on-air blurbs on this from some of our U.S. news sources, too. East London is apparently being touted as one of the hot spots. I know @amac has her own refs, but here's what I got when I plugged her second sentence into google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=In+England+there+are+groups+of+Muslim+men+who+"patrol"+certain+areas,+harassing+locals+and+telling+them+they+must+adhere+to+sharia+law.&gws_rd=ssl

HuffPo's article comes up the 5th one down on the list on my search.

Last edited:
Thank you, @gatekeeper . Judging from the links that were not inflammatory propaganda, it would appear to be mainly anecdotal evidence and individual instances. Frightening enough for the people on the receiving end, but I must stress that it is *not* widespread.

Thank you, @gatekeeper . Judging from the links that were not inflammatory propaganda, it would appear to be mainly anecdotal evidence and individual instances. Frightening enough for the people on the receiving end, but I must stress that it is *not* widespread.

That's why I specifically answered to get your personal, woman-on-the-scene perspective. I usually don't catch BBC Am./World News unless I'm up before the chickens or going in for a class on nights, so I don't know if your news tends to be as attention-grabbing as ours can be when it comes to reporting on Sharia law and what's going on in other countries, but ours does make it sound more widespead than it is, IMO, too.

Thank God he was killed before our president could use him for negotiations and set him free.

I've heard on-air blurbs on this from some of our U.S. news sources, too. East London is apparently being touted as one of the hot spots. I know @amac has her own refs, but here's what I got when I plugged her second sentence into google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=In+England+there+are+groups+of+Muslim+men+who+"patrol"+certain+areas,+harassing+locals+and+telling+them+they+must+adhere+to+sharia+law.&gws_rd=ssl

HuffPo's article comes up the 5th one down on the list on my search.

Thanks love! Yes, I'm going off our US news on that. I actually saw what you'd call a prime time special on that particular topic, I'll try to find the link. However, I do try to check BBC and other world news sources as much as possible since here in the US we are definitely prone to sensationalist "journalism." I'm sure I can provide links for each of the items I mentioned, but I'll have to do so after the hubby and I finish our Valentine's dinner. ;)

I'm just truly happy to hear it's not as widespread as it's made to seem @Abroad. Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited:
Thanks love! Yes, I'm going off our US news on that. I actually saw what you'd call a prime time special on that particular topic, I'll try to find the link. However, I do try to check BBC and other world news sources as much as possible since here in the US we are definitely prone to sensationalist "journalism." I'm sure I can provide links for each of the items I mentioned, but I'll have to do so after the hubby and I finish our Valentine's dinner. ;)

I'm just truly happy to hear it's not as widespread as it's made to seem @Abroad. Thanks for letting us know!

<3 You bet. It really is so hard to get a good, solid, objective read on what's going on when it comes to the problems going on with radical religious groups in the U.S. and Europe. We're really very lucky to have Canadian, European, Scandinavian and other demonites from other countries here to help add perspective and balance to what we often see/read in the media. I know there's a wiki on just about everything, but I was really surprised the very first link that popped up was an en.wiki on the patrols. The whole first page is almost exclusively pounding London as if these don't exist anywhere else (IMO).

The restaurant reopened today and has had a line out the door for most of the day. They got so much business that they set up 2 big tents in the parking lot!

Interesting update... More info direct from the restaurant owner. I'm glad to hear they're getting so much business.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-wielding-muslim-has-bold-answer-to-attacker/
The Christian Israeli owner of the Ohio restaurant attacked last week by a machete-wielding assailant shouting “Allahu akbar” says his answer to the attack is to put up an even larger flag than the one he normally has displayed from his motherland bearing the Star of David.

“Actually, I have another flag, and I am going to get a bigger flag, and I am going to get a Star of David necklace and put it on my chest, and I am going to get a tattoo,” Hany Baransi — who describes himself as an Israeli Christian Arab — told The Tower, a publication that covers issues related to the Middle East.

“Honest to God, I am not kidding. They don’t scare me. We are Israelis. We are Israelis. We are resilient, we fight back,” the restaurateur said. “We are used to these bastards.”

Nazareth Restaurant in Columbus, OH

Given what happened the night of the attack, Baransi disputes police statements suggesting his establishment was targeted at random.

[...] the assailant, 30-year-old Mohamed Barry, at first came to the Nazareth Restaurant & Deli in Columbus [...] to inquire where the owner was from. After learning from a waitress that the owner was from Israel, the assailant left and returned half an hour later with a machete.

Baransi said that the assailant yelled “Allahu akbar” then hacked four people, injuring them.

[...] diners threw chairs at Barry and that a restaurant employee used the bat kept behind the counter to chase him away.
Police shot and killed him after a car chase culminating with Barry lunging at officers with his knife and machete, [...]

Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said that Nazareth’s diners “were just randomly attacked, spontaneously, without warning.”

The owner had a different take.

“Is it a random attack? Yes, but it wasn’t a random attack like you’re walking in the street and there are 10 shops and you pick one,” Baransi told The Tower. “It was a random attack [insofar] that I was one of the Israelis [picked] between all of the Israelis that are around here. It was a terrorist attack.”

[...] FBI agents told him they believe the incident was terrorist in nature.

[...] the FBI had investigated Barry four years ago over expressing extreme Islamist views. [...] the assailant was originally from Guinea in West Africa and lived in the U.S. since he was very youg.

I will never, ever understand the "logic" behind believing a supreme and perfect being wants you to maime and murder its other creations. Absolute insanity!

Back