• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jessiesgirl1108

Chameleon
France has decided to crack down on food wastage by becoming the first country in the world to ban supermarkets from throwing away unsold food.

Supermarkets will now have to donate any leftover items to needy charities and food banks.

The new law was passed unanimously by the French senate and comes after a lengthy campaign from anti-poverty activists, calling for the government to put in measures to reduce food waste.

[...]

Measures will also be put in place to prevent supermarkets from destroying or damaging food before it is thrown out.

There has been previous incidents where supermarkets have poured bleach onto items after they have been binned in a bid to deter people from scavenging them from the bins.
[...]

The new rules will mean that super owners will be expected to sign a donation contract, which will outline how the store will give leftover food to charities.

The policy will be further implemented with the threat of fines, up to €75,000 (£53,000), or even a jail sentence for those who disobey the rules.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-away-unsold-food-force-donate-charities.html

I wish that would happen here. Also, I hate the way some stores will actually rip up clothes they throw out so no one can take them from the trash. Really?

First off, fuck France. Second, i thought eurotrash nations had corner produce stands, open markets and whatnot to sell groceries, didn't think they did the whole supermarket thing too much.

Anyways, I didn't know supermarkets threw food out. I mean my walmart hasn't had any pork shake and bake on the counter for fucking weeks now, and the safeway never has any fucking asparagus, didn't think these places were ever hurtin to get rid of food given how shitty they stock it to begin with.

I wish that would happen here. Also, I hate the way some stores will actually rip up clothes they throw out so no one can take them from the trash. Really?

It's not just the nice, uppity clothing stores trashin clothing.

Guess what Goodwill does with the overwhelming majority of clothing donations?

Here's a hint, they aren't really a non-profit, and selling "junk" to recycling centers brings in more cash than selling 3 dollar t shirts to poor people. That's right, if you've donated to the Goodwill there's a good chance your shit went directly into the trash, well not directly, Goodwill made a buck off it first.

Back