• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I have an app like that on my phone when I go for bike rides and running - never even thought it could be helpful in a situation like this and bet April never did either.

I'm glad she was using it - probably helped so much in the investigation.

The first day of the James VanCallis trial has wrapped up.

VanCallis is accused of murdering 14-year-old April Millsap back in July of 2014. He's charged with first degree murder, kidnapping and assault with intent to commit sexual penetration.

The day she was killed, April Millsap was out walking her dog, Penny, on the Macomb Orchard trail in Armada.

During opening statements, prosecutors said Millsap died of blunt head trauma and asphyxia due to neck compression.

April Millsap's mom, Jennifer, described her daughter as quiet and independent. After April didn't come home that day, Millsap's mom said she went out to the trail to look for her and was later told that her daughter's body had been found.

The defense attorney told jurors there's no DNA linking VanCallis to this murder.

Azhar Sheik said "All I'm asking you to do is to keep your mind open. If you just listen, I think we'll be okay."

The prosecution talked about what the live-in girlfriend of VanCallis claimed she saw that night.

"She said he (VanCallis) was cleaning the bottom of his shoes with hand sanitizer."

Prosecutors told the jury that April was "stomped to death".
http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/mac...ancallis-man-accused-of-killing-april-millsap
[doublepost=1453452035,1453451069][/doublepost]
Jurors in the James Van Callis murder trial Thursday got to see a 63-minute animated video of the path April Millsap's cell phone took around the time the 14-year-old Armada girl was killed last summer. Though the defense tried to refute GPS accuracy, it gave jurors a compelling argument about what happened July 24, 2014.

FBI special agent Matthew Zentz took the stand in Macomb Co. Circuit Court as he showed the video pulled from the Sports Tracker fitness app from April's phone. Prosecutors tried to build the case April was walking her dog, Penny, on the Macomb Orchard Trail when she was brutally attacked and murdered by 34-year-old James Van Callis.

The video animation showed April's phone entering the trail at walking speed then about halfway through the animation, the phone stops and zig zags then speeds up - that's when prosecutors say April was attacked by Van Callis. Prosecutors say Van Callis beat April to death and sped away on his motorcycle with her phone and backpack.

Prosecutors contend Van Callis murdered April sometime between 6:30 p.m. and 6:44 p.m. on July 24, just minutes before she texted her boyfriend, "I think I almost got kidnapped," at 6:28 p.m.

Defense attorneys tried to refute GPS accuracy, and have argued no DNA links Van Callis to the murder.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...statements-armada-teen-murder-trial/79064574/
[doublepost=1454982773][/doublepost]
Monday, a Michigan jury found a 34-year-old man guilty of the 2014 murder, kidnapping and attempted sexual assault of 14-year-old April Millsap, PEOPLE confirms.

James VanCallis will likely be punished to spend the rest of his life behind bars when he is sentenced on March 30, according to court officials.

April's body was found along a hiking trail in Armada, Michigan, on July 24, 2014, and medical examiners were able to determine she died from blunt force trauma and neck compression. Police claim April's bra had been ripped off and that she was found in a wooded area with her pants and underwear around her ankles.

Authorities claim VanCallis killed April by stomping and beating her to death with his motorcycle helmet and law enforcement officials tell PEOPLE they believe the killer took several precautions to evade capture.

Prosecutors allege that VanCallis wiped his helmet clean of the girl's DNA and that they were never able to locate the clothing that he was seen wearing in surveillance video the night of the murder.
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/michigan-man-convicted-stomping-girl-222953604.html

ARMADA, MI — It only took a jury six hours to find 34-year-old James VanCallis guilty of the attempted rape and murder of 14-year-old April Millsap along a popular hiking trail.

We first reported on Millsap when she went missing in 2014 after going for a walk with the family dog. Hours after sending her boyfriend a text that read: “I nearly got kidnapped OMFG,” some joggers found her body in a drainage ditch along the Macomb Orchard Trail.

Millsap’s shorts and underwear were around her ankles, and her shoes had been removed. Her cause of death would later be determined to be blunt head trauma and asphyxia due to neck compression someone stomping on the girl’s neck, face and chest.

There were no witnesses to the murder, but people reported seeing a man in the area on a motorcycle wearing a black helmet. Going through the physical and electronic evidence they had, along with eyewitness testimony, investigators identified their suspect.

“Law enforcement took great care to follow every tip and every lead to its conclusion,” County Prosecutor Eric Smith said. “As the investigation progressed and intensified, the evidence led in only one direction — and that’s to James VanCallis.”

James VanCallis, 32, was taken into custody and charged with first-degree murder, felony murder and assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. His trial started around two weeks ago and has ended with him being convicted on all counts.

Although there was no DNA linking VanCallis to Millsap, jurors felt there was “overwhelming” evidence against VanCallis. They felt the prosecution proved VanCallis’ motorcycle helmet was responsible for the head injury Millsap suffered, and the electronic evidence presented proved the two were at the same place at the same time.

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

AfNd5sCatOA

Continue reading...

Back